Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
My girlfriend got really good at identifying things based on gestures and tangential clues
I can apparently mime refried beans though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I find it pretty interesting that ADHD manifests in so many different ways, and that coping mechanisms develop to handle them. I don't leave items in weird places, but that might be because I've always kept things in very specific areas. I also realized that I say "okay." to myself a lot because now that I'm almost never by myself anymore, I'm too self conscious to talk to myself fully like I used to. It's a disaster, because talking to myself is how I remember things, how I get poo poo done.

Also: loving is really hard when I don't take meds. Real romantic when I talk about groceries

The Door Frame posted:

My girlfriend got really good at identifying things based on gestures and tangential clues
I can apparently mime refried beans though

lol same

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I have a bigass vocabulary but sometimes when my medication has worn off I mix up the simplest words and it's pretty hilarious. I have to pause, mentally rearrange my words, then try again.

I also totally talk to myself when I need to think things through. I use hand movements too.

My partner and I are both super ADD so sex can be pretty funny/terrible sometimes. She's really bad at keeping a steady pace, and one of us will often say something random about groceries or the cat or something that happened at work today and then we both just start giggling and totally lose the moment. Definitely want to take my meds prior to getting jiggy if I want to have the best possible sex.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 26, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
My biggest language annoyance is that I keep mixing up which language I'm using. I'm trilingual, so I keep randomly inserting French and English words into my sentences and have to stop to think of a German equivalent. Not all that easy sometimes, some concepts just don't translate well.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

pippy posted:

I can't really believe I totally ignored the fact that I've not been able to coherently say more than a sentence or two, or losing track of what anyone is saying to me.

I always thought I was just antisocial because I got bored really quickly when talking to other people or I'd start talking and trail off halfway through a sentence because I'd completely forget what I was talking about. We went to my daughter's school Halloween party yesterday and I spent an hour and a half chatting it up with other parents and having fun and never once got bored or lost track of a conversation, I cannot believe that I just had ADHD all this time. I hope this keeps up.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Also: loving is really hard when I don't take meds. Real romantic when I talk about groceries

What was the layout of the restaurant we were at? That waitress had a weird face, I hope she didn't think I was staring. What kind of lights did they have? I liked the color. I should really touch up the paint in my room. Where can I get a picture frame big enough for my new poster? I should check if Archer put their new season on Netflix...
Oh we're changing positions? Ok, cool I'm almost done anyways

I'm still super antisocial, but I will actually engage people in conversation and remember details of those conversations later, instead of only directly answering their questions and nothing else like I'm autistic

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
Talking to you guys make a me feel a bit better about things. Makes me smile that I'm not the only one that struggles with these sorts of things. And make me more confident to get the ball rolling on getting checked out.

I must have learned pretty young that talking to people was stressful/boring. Because I really didn't make any friends growing up and could barely remember more than a couple people's names in my class.

So I do find it difficult to talk about that. But knowing that I wasn't tested and it's not unusual for someone that wasn't disruptive at school or unusually hyper to be missed. I feel I'm conflicted, my inner lawyer keeps trying to dismiss my suspicions by looking at the ways I don't fit ADHD or that my parents might try to dismiss that it's a real thing. I'll definitely need an honest history from them. They both work with kids and it might reflect badly on then that they didn't flag me up at the time.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

My biggest language annoyance is that I keep mixing up which language I'm using. I'm trilingual, so I keep randomly inserting French and English words into my sentences and have to stop to think of a German equivalent. Not all that easy sometimes, some concepts just don't translate well.

That's interesting, the only issue is when I'm switching languages is when I forget common words and use English out of desperation.

I'm not the hyper ADHD except when I'm multitasking and I pick/drop conversation topics rapidly. It can be confusing so I'm told when I switch from A to C back to B then I move to Z. I will slow down and explain my reasoning if I'm asked though.

It is frustrating when I get the sense the other person is just not listening closely to follow my thought processes: Hello? I was talking about reading mystery books 5 min ago? I'm now on novelty soft drinks for sale in Japan.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

pippy posted:

Talking to you guys make a me feel a bit better about things. Makes me smile that I'm not the only one that struggles with these sorts of things. And make me more confident to get the ball rolling on getting checked out.

I must have learned pretty young that talking to people was stressful/boring. Because I really didn't make any friends growing up and could barely remember more than a couple people's names in my class.

So I do find it difficult to talk about that. But knowing that I wasn't tested and it's not unusual for someone that wasn't disruptive at school or unusually hyper to be missed. I feel I'm conflicted, my inner lawyer keeps trying to dismiss my suspicions by looking at the ways I don't fit ADHD or that my parents might try to dismiss that it's a real thing. I'll definitely need an honest history from them. They both work with kids and it might reflect badly on then that they didn't flag me up at the time.
I'm just glad to be of help. That risk-taking of yours was genuinely starting to worry me a bit. Also, ignore that inner conflict, I had it until the minute I took the test and it still worked out for me.

Alder posted:

That's interesting, the only issue is when I'm switching languages is when I forget common words and use English out of desperation.
I probably just use my secondary languages a bunch more than you do. Once you actually start involuntarily thinking in another language, you'll find it bleeds over really easily.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

This happened to me once when I was talking to a lady in Spanish and forgot one word so my brain substituted the Russian word instead. Confusion all around.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe it'd be worth trying to learn Russian again, now that I can actually think about poo poo.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

I probably just use my secondary languages a bunch more than you do. Once you actually start involuntarily thinking in another language, you'll find it bleeds over really easily.

True, question, did you end up learning secondary languages out of fun/curiosity? I know Mandarin because I'm ABC and some of my relatives didn't want to learn English due to age & etc.

The only language I tried and mostly forget would be Spanish. Yes, I have read the megathreads on languages on SA forums. I have issues wrt to focus and sometimes I just didn't want to sit down and memorize vocab and/or grammar rules which reducing my language learning effectiveness I imagine.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alder posted:

True, question, did you end up learning secondary languages out of fun/curiosity? I know Mandarin because I'm ABC and some of my relatives didn't want to learn English due to age & etc.

The only language I tried and mostly forget would be Spanish. Yes, I have read the megathreads on languages on SA forums. I have issues wrt to focus and sometimes I just didn't want to sit down and memorize vocab and/or grammar rules which reducing my language learning effectiveness I imagine.
Educational requirements, you can't go to college here unless you know at least two secondary languages. I probably would've done it either way, though. English is just too useful to pass up and getting to read foreign books without having to go through a translator is just a more satisfying experience. You always lose some nuance in the transition.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Educational requirements, you can't go to college here unless you know at least two secondary languages. I probably would've done it either way, though. English is just too useful to pass up and getting to read foreign books without having to go through a translator is just a more satisfying experience. You always lose some nuance in the transition.

We did have a non-optional second language in HS and college depending on the place. Most people just take 2 courses, pass it, and then sell off all the textbooks. I did get to place out of it for college luckily.

As much as I want to learn Japanese just for fun but I find knowing English will get me out of 75% situations during traveling overseas and motivation is as always low.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's easier than it sounds. The grammar is pretty simple, it's just that learning kanji is such a huge bother.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm just glad to be of help. That risk-taking of yours was genuinely starting to worry me a bit. Also, ignore that inner conflict, I had it until the minute I took the test and it still worked out for me.
:)

I've booked an appointment on the 6th of November So don't be surprised if I want a bit of support near the time.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

It's easier than it sounds. The grammar is pretty simple, it's just that learning kanji is such a huge bother.

I had been thinking about leeching off my prior (limited) knowledge kanji from Chinese but I'm sure MMMV. Most of it just practicing using the language in normal settings and ugh, not a fan of clubs/classroom settings.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

pippy posted:

:)

I've booked an appointment on the 6th of November So don't be surprised if I want a bit of support near the time.
Sure thing. I know how nerve-wracking that kind of thing can be.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm pretty awesome at all things sound related so I pick up languages and musical instruments like it ain't no thing. Then they are promptly discarded as I get bored.

Seconding how sex is hard. So so hard. I get distracted by every little thing and thrown off my groove or I start blathering about unsexy things during foreplay. Music helps. I like sex first thing in the morning so I can give it my full attention but my boyfriend doesn't as he's groggy. But if I start shaking him awake on a Saturday morning and demanding he brush his teeth he knows what I'm after.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If only he knew how good he has it. I'm always super tired at night, even when I haven't worked a 12 hour shift, but in the mornings I am ready to go. Too bad my girlfriend hates the mornings, and even when she's willing to let me go at it she basically stays half asleep the whole time. :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Woo, I really need to figure out a way to gauge the correct timing for my second dose of the day. I've been feeling like I'm going into an anxiety attack for the last twenty minutes, before I realized that it was the Ritalin kicking in. That is not fun at all.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Cardiovorax posted:

Woo, I really need to figure out a way to gauge the correct timing for my second dose of the day. I've been feeling like I'm going into an anxiety attack for the last twenty minutes, before I realized that it was the Ritalin kicking in. That is not fun at all.

I've had that happen before I found out a good amount of caffeine to take. I find that it helps a bit once or twice a week when I want to hold a conversation better, or clean my room or whatever. Doesn't help jitteryness at all and it can mess my sleep up if I take it too late in the day. I even once triggered a migraine and felt like I was going to die.

I found that it helps completely by accident when I need to go for a interview for a summer placement a year and a half ago. I was feeling a bit tired so I took a lot about 20 mins before the interview, I was just totally different from any of those sorts situations I'd been in before. I actually enjoyed the small talk with the receptionist and could keep the conversation going on track for the first time in my life. And had a great time being able to elaborate and give my reasons and what I could bring clearly in the interview room. The interviewer told me later that my reference said I was really quiet and they were really impressed when I was actually there.

It's something that bothered me for a long time because after I got the placement I was my normal self, and mucked up telling someone my own birth date and when I tried to explain my ideas they came out garbled. I nearly got the funding for my studentship revoked because I just didn't fill out a simple form till the morning of the deadline, and people got annoyed at me because the lab manager had to fill out most of the stuff on it and I'd ignored her nagging for months.

I sort of over-analyse that, because I'm not even sure if caffeine is actually that effective for ADHD. And maybe it just give me confidence or I'm otherwise tricking myself and I'm just dumb for thinking I could have ADHD.

pippy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 28, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It does, actually. Experimentally proven even. It's not nearly as effective as proper medication, but it's good enough that a bunch of adult ADHD sufferers self-medicate with it without ever realizing. It's pretty much the reason why I haven't needed a single can of energy drinks since getting my meds. I used to chug like three daily just to keep awake.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So I am on hella medication and I'm talking to my doc this friday about reducing my psych meds to zero. I want to start again from scratch. Anyone got any tips for withdrawing from meds without wanting to die other than titration? I already got my boss on board to let me take a week or so off work for this.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Cardiovorax posted:

It does, actually. Experimentally proven even. It's not nearly as effective as proper medication, but it's good enough that a bunch of adult ADHD sufferers self-medicate with it without ever realizing. It's pretty much the reason why I haven't needed a single can of energy drinks since getting my meds. I used to chug like three daily just to keep awake.

Yep, I think it comes down to "Stimulants = better focus in people with ADHD". Here's a double-blind study that found a similar positive effect for people with ADHD, but with tobacco smoking:
http://www.gwern.net/docs/nicotine/1996-conners.pdf

Stinks for smokers with ADHD who want to quit - it's a double whammy of the addictive properties of tobacco and withdrawal from the stimulant, ADHD-improving benefits.

signalnoise posted:

So I am on hella medication and I'm talking to my doc this friday about reducing my psych meds to zero. I want to start again from scratch. Anyone got any tips for withdrawing from meds without wanting to die other than titration? I already got my boss on board to let me take a week or so off work for this.

What all are you on? It really depends on the drug. Stimulants you can usually stop cold turkey without anything but a terrible attention span and the associated frustration being the result.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Before I was diagnosed, cigarettes were my thing. I haven't craved one for a while.

For the longest loving time I thought I was developing schizophrenia, especially when I heard cigarettes improved symptoms for a lot of people with the illness. Nope, ADHD, being suicidally depressed and having PTSD will do poo poo like that

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 28, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Jared592 posted:

What all are you on? It really depends on the drug. Stimulants you can usually stop cold turkey without anything but a terrible attention span and the associated frustration being the result.

Eh, a lot. I have a bunch of anti-anxiety and anti-depressants, but I think that a lot of the behavior that I have that leads to those states comes from being both exhausted and restless at the same time. I got some time off work for this though so it should be ok.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

For the longest loving time I thought I was developing schizophrenia, especially when I heard cigarettes improved symptoms for a lot of people with the illness. Nope, ADHD, being suicidally depressed and having PTSD will do poo poo like that
That's not something I ever really considered, lacking hallucinations or delusions of any kind. I suppose I do have exhibited most of the negative symptoms at some point or another, though.

signalnoise posted:

Eh, a lot. I have a bunch of anti-anxiety and anti-depressants, but I think that a lot of the behavior that I have that leads to those states comes from being both exhausted and restless at the same time. I got some time off work for this though so it should be ok.
Well, if you go cold turkey I already wish you the best of fun with two weeks worth of brain zaps. Those are oh so pleasant.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Guys, since quitting Strattera and switching to Adderall I have gained at least 15 pounds, which sucks (I went from a size six to a size eight which looks like a lot at that weight. Back when I was a size 20 many years ago, 15 pounds was like "psh big deal") I think Strattera was really suppressing my appetite as I get ravenous on Adderall. Worst of all, I'm scared to get my heart rate up on it so I wait until I'm crashing to go to the gym which makes my lifts suck brah.

It sounds like some among you work out while on stimulants? Does that work out okay? I'm just nervous because I once played laser tag after doing several fat lines of coke and I thought I was gonna die. But that was probably a bad idea.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Wellbutrin's fairly dropable, anything else in those two categories is probably going to suck so titrate away.

I've been having a wonderful time switching out my Vyvanse for adrafinil (off the internet after being stuck on a sleep clinic waiting list for over half a year). Now to find some doctor I can talk into a modafinil script before my liver fucks up :v: But yeah, a bit together with Wellbutrin XL works like a charm for me. (Caveat: sans meds I'm severely depressed, screwed up childhood, quite probably severe DSPS... So I may not really have typical ADHD, just a whole lot of shared symptoms.) Awake and alert without that amphetamine wound up / worn out feeling, and generally... happier. But not in the euphoric sense - just having a waaay easier time noticing all the nice things around me (food - which is delicious and I have an appetite!, music, whatever) and being mindful. Just generally grounded into the present moment and getting stuff done. It also kind of makes it feel like my body has an outline...? But maybe that's normal and I actually just have dissociation issues. :shrug: Most I could find on that was that this particular combo (modafinil/buproprion) works surprisingly well for depersonalization stuff.

Second caveat in case I'm making this stuff sound miraculous - I've heard a lot of people with more typical ADHD saying modafinil wasn't anywhere as good for their concentration as their regular stuff (it's better for mine, for some reason). Also w.r.t. adrafinil, sketchy internet drugs are bad and for desperate people. No, really, this can mess with your liver (it has to get metabolized into modafinil and it rides through your liver to do that), let alone whatever interactions it has with whatever other meds. I just really needed something that would let me get out of bed on time (unlike Vyvanse and light lamps) without crashing all over the place terribly at night (unlike Adderall XR and whatever offbrand Dexedrine - there's no Adderall IR in this country at all), so if it's gotta be legal-grey-area powder, so be it.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Xibanya posted:

I think Strattera was really suppressing my appetite as I get ravenous on Adderall.

Before Strattera I could demolish an unending supply of food, I was always hungry. It probably helps If I define some stats first. Male, 26, 6 foot 1, 96 KG's before Strattera.

After Strattera my appetite is non existent, I am never hungry and can easily go from Breakfast through to the next day without feeling like eating. Im down to 90 odd KG's and trying
to force myself to eat now regardless of weather or not I feel like it. Its difficult because I really, really dont want too for some reason. I cant complain because you know, I was carrying
a bit too much anyway but yeah it does seem to impact on appetite something fierce.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

My sense of appetite is even more hosed up than normally in the last few days. I don't actually feel hungry in any real sense, but I can scarf down a double serving of beef stew with perfect enjoyment. I won't feel any more or less hungry or sated afterwards, though. On the other hand, I feel constantly bloated. No actual gas or anything, just a feeling like my stomach is incredibly full. It's kind of disorienting, but I suppose it could be worse.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

Xibanya posted:

It sounds like some among you work out while on stimulants? Does that work out okay? I'm just nervous because I once played laser tag after doing several fat lines of coke and I thought I was gonna die. But that was probably a bad idea.

I take my second dose of the day not long before going to run. Your heart rate is elevated, yes, but for me running seems a lot easier because my heart rate is already high. I do have to be careful not to push myself *too* far while I'm out there, but it's helping me get back into regular running and lifting. Talk to your doctor if you're concerned, but I've been using it to help boost my workouts and it's working out just fine. My HR does take a little while longer to get back to normal afterwards though.

copper rose petal fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 29, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, if you go cold turkey I already wish you the best of fun with two weeks worth of brain zaps. Those are oh so pleasant.

Yeah that's what I hear. I'm more concerned about balancing work and school with this

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They actually are pretty pleasant, if you are the kind of person who enjoys tactile hallucinations. I wouldn't expect to get any work done, though. Your brain feels like it's stuffed full of cotton and lightning until you're done detoxing.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

They actually are pretty pleasant, if you are the kind of person who enjoys tactile hallucinations. I wouldn't expect to get any work done, though. Your brain feels like it's stuffed full of cotton and lightning until you're done detoxing.

Yeah that's what I'm expecting, but honestly that's what it feels like right now anyway. I'm familiar with the withdrawals to the point where I asked for sick time/medical leave from work for this, and they're ok with it, but it's going to be hellish and I'm already behind on my school stuff. I just figure that if I can't focus on school right now anyway, what's the harm in being even less able to focus on school?

Might not try to withdraw from caffeine and nicotine at the same time as the meds though. I have been on withdrawal from nicotine and adderall at the same time and it was almost as bad as benzo withdrawal, except instead of a constant aimless panic attack it was skin crawling awfulness, that "I have no security blanket" feeling, and body aches.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, it probably won't be that bad. It's not actually uncomfortable, just a really, really weird experience. A good excuse to spend a few days lazing about on the couch doing whatever.

Also, I am lowering my dosage again, Jesus Christ. I have spent the last eight hours lying around stoned out of my loving mind and feeling like dandelion fluff. I can kinda understand why some people snort the stuff now. Not exactly working as intended, though.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

signalnoise posted:

Yeah that's what I'm expecting, but honestly that's what it feels like right now anyway. I'm familiar with the withdrawals to the point where I asked for sick time/medical leave from work for this, and they're ok with it, but it's going to be hellish and I'm already behind on my school stuff. I just figure that if I can't focus on school right now anyway, what's the harm in being even less able to focus on school?

Might not try to withdraw from caffeine and nicotine at the same time as the meds though. I have been on withdrawal from nicotine and adderall at the same time and it was almost as bad as benzo withdrawal, except instead of a constant aimless panic attack it was skin crawling awfulness, that "I have no security blanket" feeling, and body aches.

I'm not really sure why you're planning to quit multiple drugs all at once in such a short time span (2 weeks) rather than slowly weaning yourself off over a few months. Weaning yourself off gradually will minimize the symptoms of doing so. I'm familiar with the "exhausted and restless" feeling that even low doses of amphetamines can give you if you never take "off" days, so I understand your frustration and the temptation to say "gently caress all this bullshit I'm out", but most times I've regretted making snap decisions like this based on frustration/desperation.

How has your sleep been?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Dosage poo poo. After having some meds left over this month, I tried 20 mg of Adderall XR, which worked really well. I'm prescribed 10 and I don't think it's doing it anymore, whereas 20 will chill me out and help my patience and emotional regulation. Unfortunately, I also didn't eat anything except some crackers, and even today I cooked breakfast and proceeded to immediately cover it and put it in the fridge...

Sometimes I feel like the 10 works just fine, though. I don't know what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dosage poo poo. After having some meds left over this month, I tried 20 mg of Adderall XR, which worked really well. I'm prescribed 10 and I don't think it's doing it anymore, whereas 20 will chill me out and help my patience and emotional regulation. Unfortunately, I also didn't eat anything except some crackers, and even today I cooked breakfast and proceeded to immediately cover it and put it in the fridge...

Sometimes I feel like the 10 works just fine, though. I don't know what the gently caress.

Ask for a script for 20 mg and take half daily and other half as needed to measure your reaction imo.