Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
wrong thread. thanks awful app!

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pissflaps posted:

Imagine a music playing grocery list app with a weather widget.
Also it's the best podcast app there is. And it lets you chain poo poo together like IFTTT. And you can browse the forums with it. Then goons would never need another app.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also it's the best podcast app there is. And it lets you chain poo poo together like IFTTT. And you can browse the forums with it. Then goons would never need another app.

But what color is the icon?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kaizoku posted:

But what color is the icon?

Orange, obviously. Don't you read the thread?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

wooger posted:

If they're making a new app, they can make it free &limited in some way, with IAPs to unlock full functionality. This "Buy before you try" crap in the app store has funded countless poo poo developers for too long.

Google Play has a much better system for this sort of situation. After you buy an app, the "buy" button turns into a "refund" button for 15 minutes. You can essentially return the app if you don't like it, as long as it's within that 15 minute window. I think it's fantastic and I really wish Apple would do something similar.

I don't have a problem with developers charging for apps and upgrades -- they have to earn a living after all, and most apps are really cheap. That said, I do wish there was some sort of trial system in the App Store.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Google Play has a much better system for this sort of situation. After you buy an app, the "buy" button turns into a "refund" button for 15 minutes. You can essentially return the app if you don't like it, as long as it's within that 15 minute window. I think it's fantastic and I really wish Apple would do something similar.

I don't have a problem with developers charging for apps and upgrades -- they have to earn a living after all, and most apps are really cheap. That said, I do wish there was some sort of trial system in the App Store.

Google increased the Refund Window to 2 hours earlier this year.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bummey posted:

I can't offer any advice except to say that the manufacturer is probably a huge factor in gi 1911 pricing. US&S versus Remington Rand, for example. Or whatever.

Gun disassembly apps are back in a big way.

Anyway, as far as SSH apps go, Prompt2 looks good.
TouchID is a good idea.
But where is the mosh support?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Gun disassembly apps are back in a big way.

Haha, what happened? Awful app put my reply in a completely different thread.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

the kawaiiest posted:

You can get a refund on any app for pretty much any reason at any time. Just don't be a dick.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Any good youtube apps available at the moment? Jasmine is dead and the official one won't even load most videos any more. I swear, you can't even film an empty room these days without Content ID slapping you for playing copyrighted silence clips.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Kheldarn posted:

Google increased the Refund Window to 2 hours earlier this year.

That's awesome. It's one of the things that Google does better imo. It's just so simple.

I know, but I was talking about Google's system being better for "trial" situations where there is no free or "lite" version of an app available. With Google's system you buy the app, try it, and then if you don't like it you just press the "refund" button and that's it. There's no step two, the app just gets uninstalled from your phone and the money is returned to you as long as you do it in that 2 hour window.

The Apple system requires that you contact them and explain why you want a refund and then it takes like a day or two. You can also request a refund for any app for any time from Google, but that process is more involved (like Apple's).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Scratch-O posted:

Any good youtube apps available at the moment? Jasmine is dead and the official one won't even load most videos any more. I swear, you can't even film an empty room these days without Content ID slapping you for playing copyrighted silence clips.

I use MxTube, its pretty good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They can make the app crispier but they can't make the weather widget perfect? :argh:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wooger posted:

What is Weblock, not a jailbreak app right?
Yeah it's on the App Store, and FAQ on how it works:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weblock-adblock-for-ios/id558818638?mt=8
http://www.weblockapp.com/faq/

I got it when it was free a while back, seems to work fine, albeit with the caveats I mentioned before (which apply to all ad blocking stuff really). The main limitation is that it can't block embedded stuff. Like most pages load ads/scripts and crap from external servers, but some also have scripts embedded into the pages themselves. There's also occasionally just random poo poo where it's hard to figure out the source, particularly on iOS without a web inspector* to look at the code. One other random thing, nPlayer's web browser is really annoying with it cause it pops up "cannot load" messages for everything that's blocked (5 ads blocked? 5 individual popups!).

*...I think someone mentioned an iOS 8 app for that actually, but I forget the name.

Amusingly they also have an app to block in app ads (without the proxy trick they're using for the other one), I'm surprised that one got approved considering they're probably blocking a good number of iAds.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wait, Jasmine is dead?

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

ICHIBAHN posted:

Wait, Jasmine is dead?

It's not been updated for over a year, the developer has been hired by Reddit and Alien Blue has been made the official reddit app so yeah probably

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
So one of my favorite features of my old MotoX was that I could give the phone a quick shake while it was sleeping and it would wake up and open the camera.

Are there any apps for iOS that duplicate that functionality? My cursory search revealed nothing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They can make the app crispier but they can't make the weather widget perfect? :argh:

I give them credit for at least fixing the padding so the background is now 100% width. On the flip side, gently caress that background.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ManMythLegend posted:

So one of my favorite features of my old MotoX was that I could give the phone a quick shake while it was sleeping and it would wake up and open the camera.

Are there any apps for iOS that duplicate that functionality? My cursory search revealed nothing.
Without jailbreaking, you can't shake to unlock or anything like that. However, if you bring up your lock screen by pressing the lock or home buttons then swipe up from the camera icon on the bottom right, it'll jump straight into the camera (with no need to enter a PIN code to unlock until you try to leave the camera)

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Without jailbreaking, you can't shake to unlock or anything like that. However, if you bring up your lock screen by pressing the lock or home buttons then swipe up from the camera icon on the bottom right, it'll jump straight into the camera (with no need to enter a PIN code to unlock until you try to leave the camera)

Shucks. Oh well. I had found the camera unlock icon, but I had grown accustomed to the shake. Thanks though.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I use MxTube, its pretty good.

Only one crash so far and I can play videos with music, looks like a winner. Thanks!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So what's the deal with the camera+ promotion. I read that it's supposed to be till nov 16th, but I don't see any promotion under the stores tab on the Apple Store app

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Scroll down on the stores page.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can I get some music creation app recommendations? Or is there a thread for that?

I'm pretty familiar with Figure, iKaossilator, and Beatwave. I've had Moog's Filtatron on my phone for ages but I've never actually bothered to physically interface my phone with an amp or instrument to make use of it.

I recently downloaded djay2 for both iPad and iPhone and it's probably the most fun I've had with a music app in a while. The fact that it integrates with Spotify is a huge plus.

Anything else I should check out for general musical goofing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's an iOS music thread here, but it's pretty quiet these days:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364734

Animoog is fantastic fun to play with. GlitchMachine and BitWiz are really good for 8 bit squelches. SunreizerXS is a great synth.

MoDrum, BassLine and FunkBox are worth a look to see if that's the sort of thing you want, what they do they do well.

SunVox and NanoStudio are my favorite song editors.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Schpyder posted:

Scroll down on the stores page.

I scrolled all the way to the bottom, and even clicked "more" twice. Not sure why it isn't showing up for me

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

There's an iOS music thread here, but it's pretty quiet these days:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364734

Animoog is fantastic fun to play with. GlitchMachine and BitWiz are really good for 8 bit squelches. SunreizerXS is a great synth.

MoDrum, BassLine and FunkBox are worth a look to see if that's the sort of thing you want, what they do they do well.

SunVox and NanoStudio are my favorite song editors.

Can't go wrong with Korg. iElectribe and iMS-20 are good, but if I had to recommend just one Korg app, it'd have to be Gadget. That thing is made of awesome and rainbows.

EDIT: And Audiobus. I'm not sure if they've patched it for iOS 8 yet, but that's the glue that hold's all the music apps together.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Bucket Joneses posted:

Can I get some music creation app recommendations? Or is there a thread for that?

I'm pretty familiar with Figure, iKaossilator, and Beatwave. I've had Moog's Filtatron on my phone for ages but I've never actually bothered to physically interface my phone with an amp or instrument to make use of it.

I recently downloaded djay2 for both iPad and iPhone and it's probably the most fun I've had with a music app in a while. The fact that it integrates with Spotify is a huge plus.

Anything else I should check out for general musical goofing?
GarageBand would probably be the most obvious answer.

edit: Here's an example of someone who knows what they're doing with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AXu0XuDIUY

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 31, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

GarageBand would probably be the most obvious answer.

:doh:

Yep, that one for sure.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

flosofl posted:

Can't go wrong with Korg. iElectribe and iMS-20 are good, but if I had to recommend just one Korg app, it'd have to be Gadget. That thing is made of awesome and rainbows.

I can find any of those in the App Store.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bucket Joneses posted:

Are you searching from an iPhone/iPod? Cause those are iPad only I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, iPhone gets the short end of the stick when it comes to music apps. Take what you can get and get used to letting a lot of neat apps drift by.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

After 5 days of trying once or twice a day and always getting the same claimed code I finally got camera plus.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Just saw your post. I was having the same issue so I gave up. Tried it again now and got a working code as well so thanks.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Bucket Joneses posted:

There is DM1 that should work on your phone. It has some cool features like being able to sync with other iPhones that have the app and make music together. It can also be used with Garage band.

Here is an ad for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhFxoYQol4s

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Easybeats 3 is an quick and dirty (if you don't skip the FAQ or tutorials) way to throw beats and loops at GarageBand. It's mildly gamified, which I think is really more forcing you to learn how to use it. Quickly becomes easy to overlook if you're not sharing your stuff on their community or whatever.

http://appshopper.com/music/easybeats-3-pro-drum-machine
https://appsto.re/us/cU2wM.i

Edit: LE version
https://appsto.re/us/gJ1Ot.i

Mastodon Henley fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 31, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Does Reeder 2 work well on the new devices/ios8? I like the bare bones interface and functionality of the original Reeder but it's crashy as gently caress on ios8/6+ and I'm wondering if I should upgrade to the new one or find a new app. I've tried a few different RSS readers but they all have a lot of dumb interface bullshit like featured stories, giant graphics, and other nonsense things getting in the way of my "list of feeds, list of articles, read articles, move on with my life" familiar routine of Reeder.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Bummey posted:

Does Reeder 2 work well on the new devices/ios8? I like the bare bones interface and functionality of the original Reeder but it's crashy as gently caress on ios8/6+ and I'm wondering if I should upgrade to the new one or find a new app. I've tried a few different RSS readers but they all have a lot of dumb interface bullshit like featured stories, giant graphics, and other nonsense things getting in the way of my "list of feeds, list of articles, read articles, move on with my life" familiar routine of Reeder.

Works good, I gave up on feedly and the couple other options I tried because they were crashy as gently caress and locked to whatever service like feedly.

My only beef with Reeder 2 is it isn't iPhone 6/+ native yet, it looks like. So it's a little fuzzy.

That and I'd like to be able to change the color scheme.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

japtor posted:

Are you searching from an iPhone/iPod? Cause those are iPad only I think.

Oh ok. I guess that makes sense. I'll take a look on my ipad tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Are there any maps apps that do turn by turn over BT Phone profile and not A2DP? It is annoying that Siri can pop up over the tuner but for maps I have to give up the radio or turn off Bluetooth.