Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Deadpool

Newspaper Spider-Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Swamp Thing Annual #3

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Bill, Son of Bill is in the halls of Valhalla drinking with Skurge and Ultimate Peter Parker. I'm okay with him being dead.

This is the best thing about Norse mythology. You get a happy ending. (At least until Ragnarok.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shakenbaker posted:

Ares dying is right with Bill, son of Bill's death in the list of reasons I hate The Siege.

Dark Reign: Ares 1

I think that panel works in both this thread and the badass thread.

The better page for this thread would be his speech about how all the sensible poo poo you do in war? That's what Athena does. Ares is just about shootin' guns and killin' dudes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ares, god of Orks.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
We have a really distorted modern view on the mythological Ares. A good chunk of mythology comes from Athens (patron deity Athena), who as you well know hated Sparta (patron deity Ares). So while a good chunk of the ancient Greek world had a more balanced view of the relationship between the two, in the mythology we know Ares spends most of his time getting into a drunken stupor and/or bloodlust and loving everything up (in both all three senses of the phrase). Then Athena comes in and is totally smart and pretty and fixes everything and everyone loves her.

But that misconception produces stuff like this, I'm all for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey, Thor and the other Asgardians were more like a cross between drunken frat boys and The Lost Vikings than any kind of heroes, but blond Superman in a horned hat is a lot more fun to read about.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Uncanny X-Men (I think)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, Thor and the other Asgardians were more like a cross between drunken frat boys and The Lost Vikings than any kind of heroes, but blond Superman in a horned hat is a lot more fun to read about.

Thor and Loki at Utgardr is a fantastic story. Over the course of it:
Thor takes two kids as servants instead of slaughtering their whole family
The boy almost outruns thought itself
Loki almost out-eats a blazing fire
Thor drinks the sea
Thor wrestles old age
Thor hoists the Midgard serpent
All of this is because a magical giant was trolling them the whole time, and he runs off whooping before Thor can stove his face in with a hammer

And it just ends, like, welp, that's it

Jesus loving Christ. What did we learn, Loki?
I don't know, Thor.
I don't loving know either. I guess we learned not to do it again. I'm hosed if I know what we did.
Yes Thor, it's hard to say.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Phy posted:

Thor drinks the sea
Thor wrestles old age
All of this is because a magical giant was trolling them the whole time, and he runs off whooping before Thor can stove his face in with a hammer

And it just ends, like, welp, that's it

Jesus loving Christ. What did we learn, Loki?
I don't know, Thor.
I don't loving know either. I guess we learned not to do it again. I'm hosed if I know what we did.
Yes Thor, it's hard to say.

The way I remember it, the giants were secretly scared shitless because Thor was almost doing these impossible tasks so they knew that if it really came down to it he'd kick all of their asses by himself.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AnonSpore posted:

The way I remember it, the giants were secretly scared shitless because Thor was almost doing these impossible tasks so they knew that if it really came down to it he'd kick all of their asses by himself.

Yeah, they challenged Thor to empty a big ol' drinking horn, but it was actually the sea. (There was a noticeable dip in sea level, which scared them.)

And Thor didn't know it was Jormungandr he was trying to lift -- he was disguised as someone else.

Moral of the story: Thor can't tell beer from seawater. (Unless that was part of the illusion, but it's funnier this way.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

And Thor didn't know it was Jormungandr he was trying to lift -- he was disguised as someone else.

It wouldn't by any chance have been Fin Fang Foom, would it? :v:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
There's a pretty great Danish animated movie based on that story, "Valhalla". The part where Thor is dying to old age part was horrifying to watch as a kid.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

It wouldn't by any chance have been Fin Fang Foom, would it? :v:

You are the wind beneath my wings. :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Male Man posted:

We have a really distorted modern view on the mythological Ares. A good chunk of mythology comes from Athens (patron deity Athena), who as you well know hated Sparta (patron deity Ares). So while a good chunk of the ancient Greek world had a more balanced view of the relationship between the two, in the mythology we know Ares spends most of his time getting into a drunken stupor and/or bloodlust and loving everything up (in both all three senses of the phrase). Then Athena comes in and is totally smart and pretty and fixes everything and everyone loves her.

Well, that's Ares' description of his sister. In Hercules, she was a pretty amoral schemer, portrayed as worse than Zeus or Hera because she was dispassionate and wise enough to know better and not act rashly.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I've always thought that Ares is a somewhat tragic figure, because he's older than Athena. For a while there, he was the only god of war, and then Athena was created as the goddess of cleverness and also war, and Ares was lessened.

I think he remembers the time when he wasn't a brute and I think it tears him up inside that he can't ever not be a brute now, because he's not whole. And I think that's why he hates Athena so much.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

prefect posted:

Yeah, they challenged Thor to empty a big ol' drinking horn, but it was actually the sea. (There was a noticeable dip in sea level, which scared them.)

Moral of the story: Thor can't tell beer from seawater. (Unless that was part of the illusion, but it's funnier this way.)

Thought was disguised as a runner,
Fire was disguised as another eater,
the Midgard Serpent was disguised as a cat,
Old Age was disguised as the Giant Utgard-Loki's grandmother,
the Sea was disguised as a drinking horn.

it is an awesome story.

edit: It is noteworthy that the thought almost being outrun by a normal boy is Utgard-Loki's, which might suggest he's not a particularly quick thinker

kujeger fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 29, 2014

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Male Man posted:

The Spartans were super-awful, though. Like, fantasy-novel Evil Kingdom poo poo. They were the most assholish of the Greek city-states, so it would make sense for their god to be a total rear end in a top hat too. :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Small Frozen Thing posted:

The Spartans were super-awful, though. Like, fantasy-novel Evil Kingdom poo poo. They were the most assholish of the Greek city-states, so it would make sense for their god to be a total rear end in a top hat too. :v:

You only think that because you've been fed Athenian propaganda your whole life.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phy posted:

Thor drinks the sea
Thor wrestles old age

There's also the prelude to the story where Utgard-Loki disguises himself as a giant called Skrymir to gently caress with Thor. He tricks them to sleep in his glove (which somehow was pretty humorous to Utgard-Loki), he tells Thor to untie his bag which turns out to be impossible, Thor then smashes his hammer on Skrymir's head when he's sleeping which causes Skrymir to ask if a feather landed on his forehead. Skrymir then walks away from a furious Thor, probably laughing his rear end off.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

prefect posted:

You only think that because you've been fed Athenian propaganda your whole life.

If only Sparta had thought of Fox News.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Threep posted:

There's a pretty great Danish animated movie based on that story, "Valhalla". The part where Thor is dying to old age part was horrifying to watch as a kid.

Based on comics, too! It's too bad they're not available in English because I bet everyone here would love them. They're like Norse mythology as seen through the eyes of Carl Barks or something to that effect. One of the first volumes even has a cameo from The Warriors Three.

And others:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Male Man posted:

Ares wasn't just War, he was also the source of Masculinity (so if you wanted to call a guy a wuss, you'd say "he has no Ares in him") and the God of Cops (and also the lord of Civil Disorder).

It peaks through in a few stories, like when Sisyphus captured Death, Ares was the one to track down and arrest the guy, then take him to prison (Tartarus).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Byzantine posted:

Ares wasn't just War, he was also the source of Masculinity (so if you wanted to call a guy a wuss, you'd say "he has no Ares in him") and the God of Cops (and also the lord of Civil Disorder).

It peaks through in a few stories, like when Sisyphus captured Death, Ares was the one to track down and arrest the guy, then take him to prison (Tartarus).

So Ares was the proto-Judge Dredd? :monocle:

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Hakkesshu posted:

And others:

Musical guest Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hakkesshu posted:

Based on comics, too! It's too bad they're not available in English because I bet everyone here would love them. They're like Norse mythology as seen through the eyes of Carl Barks or something to that effect. One of the first volumes even has a cameo from The Warriors Three.

And others:

They were translated to Finnish though, and were indeed awesome...over a decade when I read them and I still remember.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
Well I'd watch it...

Uncanny Avengers Annual #1

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Alhazred posted:

There's also the prelude to the story where Utgard-Loki disguises himself as a giant called Skrymir to gently caress with Thor. He tricks them to sleep in his glove (which somehow was pretty humorous to Utgard-Loki), he tells Thor to untie his bag which turns out to be impossible, Thor then smashes his hammer on Skrymir's head when he's sleeping which causes Skrymir to ask if a feather landed on his forehead. Skrymir then walks away from a furious Thor, probably laughing his rear end off.

I swear this was done in a Marvel comic at some point but my Thor-sense is failing me.... I want to say Buscema did the art?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Marvel Adventures: The Avengers Vol 1.

I think you brought the wrong gun entirely, Hatemonger.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GPTribefan posted:

I swear this was done in a Marvel comic at some point but my Thor-sense is failing me.... I want to say Buscema did the art?
Thor tells the entire story as a parable to bullied children in Thor #272, and it is Buscema.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

They were translated to Finnish though, and were indeed awesome...over a decade when I read them and I still remember.

I managed to track down a few scans! From Valhalla vol. 3. Note, this was published in 1982.

Odin is wandering around the wilderness of Midgard searching for warriors to defend Asgard. He's getting more and more dismayed by the idiots he's found so far, but then:

Raven: Look! Over there!
Odin: Yeah... probably someone fighting.

Raven: But this guy is really good!
Odin: Yeah, it always starts out like that.

Raven: But - aren't you going to try and recruit him?
Odin: Why? There's no point...

Raven: Oh, come on...

Odin: Alright, fine.

Odin: Nicely done, young man, I'm guessing you are a Christian? (note: This is referring to a previous "client")

Warrior: No...?
Odin: Oh, so you're probably on your way home to your wife...

Warrior: No, I'm not married.
Odin: Reeeeaaally... do you live nearby?

Warrior: We've made camp over there by the bushes.
Odin: WE? :haw:

Odin: If you have friends nearby, why not call for help?
Warrior: Why? There were only six of them.

Odin: I guess your friends aren't quite like you...

Warrior: Nah...

Warrior: They're a pretty rough couple.

Odin: Really? How many are you? :wiggle:
Warrior: Three.

Warrior: I am Fander...

That's Hogur over there...

And that's Voldsdag. We call him 'nutty' (note: Voldsdag, the way it's spelled here, literally means "violence day")

Odin: And I am... ODIN - KING OF THE GODS

Fander: Oh.
Voldsdag: I see.
Hogur: Well, hail to you, then :effort:

Odin: I offer you all a place by my side in the hall of Einherjar - follow me to Valhalla!

Fander: Well... I was on my way home, but what do you guys think?

Voldsdag: Valhalla? Well, we've never been there.

Hogur: What about Byzantium? We've never been there either.

You know we'll end up in Asgard sooner or later.
Odin: B-but... it's a great honor for you...

Fander: That's true, but on the other hand we HAVE never been to Byzantium.

Odin: THAT'S ENOUGH. I am the god of death, so you're going to come along whether you want to or not!

MOVE IT.
Hogur: Well, if you put it like that...

And so, Odin returned with his warriors three.

Later

Odin: Giants on Iðavöllr, never before has the enemy been so close to our gates!
Hogur: Yeah... what do you want us to do about it?

Odin: GET THEM.

Hugin and Munin, fetch my wolves.

(I think you get the gist of the rest)

Warrior 1: Well now I want to join!
Warrior 2: Wait! Whose side are we on?
Warrior 3: Who cares! Giants are giants and giants need their asses kicked!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 30, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Marvel Adventures: The Avengers Vol 1.

I think you brought the wrong gun entirely, Hatemonger.

Uh... isn't Giant Girl like 15 in those books?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Small Frozen Thing posted:

They had a pretty good sense of humor at least.

"IF"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

"IF"
Pretty much all the best lines in 300 were straight out of Herodotus, too.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

"IF"
The word "laconic" (meaning terse, dry, sharp) is literally taken from Sparta's location (the region of Laconia).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

That's Wasp. It is easier to include her in the avengers when you don't have to pretend that her normal powers are useful.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Uh, Janet van Dyne is Giant Girl in that comic, not Wasp.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Same difference, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
By Wasp I was obviously referring to Hank Pym's brief use of the name. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

So is Spider-man.

• Locked thread