Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Safety Dance posted:

I'm eternally glad that I got over amateur radio before I started being able to drive. I would have been the dork with 30 antennas sprouting out of a Dodge Caravan otherwise.

If my car wasn't fairly new, I'd probably have one or two antennas of my own. I'm probably the only guy I know that has ham plates without a single radio or antenna in/on my car.

I wonder what sounds that makes every time he goes under an underpass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValleyGirl
Apr 4, 2014

Orininated in the Silicon Valley, emigrated to the San Fernando - ValleyGirl is THE distinctive high-tech caricature of a single white paraplegic female IT geek and ubernerd for all things scifi, political, aviation, and fast cars.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

(Only two damaging accidents I've ever been in, barring a deerstrike in rural Montana. :argh:)

Reminds me of another incident I wish I had a video of. I was traveling down I-90 between Superior MT, and Missoula. Interstate 90 in that region is one of the finest freeways I've ever had the pleasure of driving on - perfect condition road surfaces, 75 mph speed limits. Just wonderful...

Well, I was westbound toward Superior at the time with the cruise control set at 95 mph, when suddenly out of nowhere... Momma bear runs across the road, followed by 3 cubs. I am standing on the brake pedal trying to stop in time - because I know that if I hit one of them, Momma will be very upset. I managed to stop with maybe 10 feet to spare. Had I hit one, I'm not sure my Kahr PM40 which I was carrying at the time would have been adequate to stop the mother bear. Whew. Lucky.

And I had a deer strike once, back in California in the Bay Area. I was on Hicks Road in my old BMW 540i, making a rather spirited run. I came around a corner, and there was Bambi just standing there in the roadway. I stood on the brakes... and hit Bambi at 2-4 mph. She sprawled out on the roadway in front, promptly got back up, and trotted off. No damage to my car...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Uthor posted:

HAM radio operators seem very narrowly focused in the things they care about.

That's a CB antenna.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ValleyGirl posted:

Well, I was westbound toward Superior at the time with the cruise control set at 95 mph, when suddenly out of nowhere... Momma bear runs across the road, followed by 3 cubs. I am standing on the brake pedal trying to stop in time - because I know that if I hit one of them, Momma will be very upset. I managed to stop with maybe 10 feet to spare. Had I hit one, I'm not sure my Kahr PM40 which I was carrying at the time would have been adequate to stop the mother bear. Whew. Lucky.

So you thought about using your Kahr to remove the danger but not your Car to remove yourself from danger?

ValleyGirl
Apr 4, 2014

Orininated in the Silicon Valley, emigrated to the San Fernando - ValleyGirl is THE distinctive high-tech caricature of a single white paraplegic female IT geek and ubernerd for all things scifi, political, aviation, and fast cars.

atomicthumbs posted:

So you thought about using your Kahr to remove the danger but not your Car to remove yourself from danger?

If I'd hit one of the cubs, I'm pretty sure the Kahr would have been the only thing working, after an airbag had exploded in my face... :)

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

Yellowstone Rd to Dell Range Blvd in Cheyenne, WY.

A line of Northbound cars headed north will turn Eastbound onto the busiest street in the entire state along that green line. Without so much as a yield or stopsign to direct them to do so, they will stop or yield for exactly no reason at all in the area of the red box.

They somehow believe that cars on that blue route will wreck into them if they do not do so. It is always the elderly, handicapped, both, or out of state/area plates such as Colorado rental cars.

edit: Not related to the situation I described, if you look closely you can see a near accident if a vehicle turning in front of another in the middle of the intersection.

You can see why in that picture. If the car on the blue route doesn't take the inside lane, they will "merge" right into the green car.

That's just a lovely intersection where the island needs to extend up further and eliminate the outside lane for the left turning traffic.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KennyLoggins posted:

MA Goons will know that this intersection is much more fun:

http://goo.gl/JepXGB

I have actually never had an issue with that one. It's pretty easy to get through, I live like 15 miles from there and it's maybe a mile from my favorite junkyard so I see it often.

Downright fun in a milsurp truck, too :killdozer:

xzzy posted:

Once upon a time when I was doing an overnight on the interstates I got an idea for mounting some kind of transparent LCD screen on the dashboard. It would use a camera to identify oncoming headlights, and dim the appropriate areas on the LCD to prevent the glare from getting to the driver. I don't know if that would actually work but that seems like it might? :iiam:

I would prefer something like this, but built into a pair of glasses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygcm0AQXX9k

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ValleyGirl posted:

If I'd hit one of the cubs, I'm pretty sure the Kahr would have been the only thing working, after an airbag had exploded in my face... :)

oh, right.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ValleyGirl posted:

Reminds me of another incident I wish I had a video of. I was traveling down I-90 between Superior MT, and Missoula. Interstate 90 in that region is one of the finest freeways I've ever had the pleasure of driving on - perfect condition road surfaces, 75 mph speed limits. Just wonderful...

Something about Montana. I was on my way back from an autocross in Kalispel headed to East Glacier on US Hwy 2 back in 1999. I was driving my Cobra which was wearing overly wide R-compound tires (because I'm a lazy gently caress who doesn't like to change tires) when a pretty big Grizzly wandered out in front of me while I was going.. way too fast for that road. I was pretty happy I had the sticky tires on as I was able to do a quick slalom move around the bear (because there was no way in hell I could have stopped in time). I'm fairly certain that the maneuver would have been impossible with the factory tires on, but luckily I will never know.

I also got to dodge a fair number of other critters while I lived up in that area for a couple of seasons, including a friggen wolverine, who absolutely gave no fucks about dumb humans in cars. The stupid big-horn sheep up there owned the roads too, they'd head-butt a huge dent in your car if you dared to try to rush them by being so dumb as to honk at them.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Met a real life crazy person today. Was driving the vw bus to work (Has a load of peace symbols, stars and moons painted down the side) and some guy in a Volvo starts honking and waving his arms about at me. Wasn't sure what he wanted, so, carried on driving. Guy followed me to the left turn I stopped for, and proceeds to yell out his window about how my peace symbols are offensive to him and America, but I wouldn't understand that because I have no backbone :confused:

Wasn't quite sure how to respond and just said the bus is meant to make people happy. Somehow that started into another rant about how my stars and moon are somehow offensive because one of them vaguely resembles the star and crescent flag and something something terrorism. Ended with him yelling "loving rear end in a top hat" and speeding off back into traffic.

I didn't think people were still angry about the Vietnam war nearly 40 years later, but, holy poo poo. Guy must've been in his 70's, and quite certainly off his meds.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
loving peace symbols!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

PhoenixWing posted:

Met a real life crazy person today.

This is one of the many reasons I don't do any stickers of any kind on my cars. People today are so eager to get pissed off, especially while driving. Last thing I need is some tightwad telling me about his loving stupid opinions that I obviously disagree with due to the stickers I'd put on.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Lookat this douchebag. A pussy who doesn't like publishing his political views via bumper bull! Call him a human being Jimmeh!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Locator posted:

Something about Montana.

Or low population states in general.

I've almost destroyed my car and/or myself a few times in Wyoming too. And Alaska. Plus Arizona and Utah too, now that I think about it. I guess any state that has mountains has tried to kill me at some point or another. :v:

I don't like driving near sunrise/sunset or at night anymore, too many suicidal ungulates.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

PhoenixWing posted:

Met a real life crazy person today. Was driving the vw bus to work (Has a load of peace symbols, stars and moons painted down the side) and some guy in a Volvo starts honking and waving his arms about at me. Wasn't sure what he wanted, so, carried on driving. Guy followed me to the left turn I stopped for, and proceeds to yell out his window about how my peace symbols are offensive to him and America, but I wouldn't understand that because I have no backbone :confused:

Wasn't quite sure how to respond and just said the bus is meant to make people happy. Somehow that started into another rant about how my stars and moon are somehow offensive because one of them vaguely resembles the star and crescent flag and something something terrorism. Ended with him yelling "loving rear end in a top hat" and speeding off back into traffic.

I didn't think people were still angry about the Vietnam war nearly 40 years later, but, holy poo poo. Guy must've been in his 70's, and quite certainly off his meds.

gently caress you for trying to make people happy!

The only bumper sticker I've considered reads "This is not an abandoned vehicle". Shame, I currently don't have a bumper to stick it to.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You need one of these too. http://www.allthingsjeep.com/atj30939.html

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Or low population states in general.

This, I smacked a deer doing about 60 in rural Virginia back in '09. Came around a blind turn and it was standing in my lane. I had enough time to stand on the brakes and drop down from my ~75 MPH cruising speed before impact. Took out the entire front end of my car, deployed the airbags and left me stranded about seven hours from home - a mere 45 minutes short of my destination. Ended up dragging my car home on a U-Haul tow dolley with a U-Haul truck.

Shockingly the VSP didn't write me a ticket, I guess "hitting wildlife" isn't/wasn't a ticketable offense.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Horse Divorce posted:

gently caress you for trying to make people happy!

The only bumper sticker I've considered reads "This is not an abandoned vehicle". Shame, I currently don't have a bumper to stick it to.

I've mentioned it before but if I lived in a Bible area I'd get one that said "2 Kings 9:20" and leave it at that

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

sbyers77 posted:

You can see why in that picture. If the car on the blue route doesn't take the inside lane, they will "merge" right into the green car.

That's just a lovely intersection where the island needs to extend up further and eliminate the outside lane for the left turning traffic.

That would be a massive failure to maintain lane by the blue car, as you can clearly see by the lane markings.

I have NEVER seen any blue line car do that there.

I guess a driver could preemptively stop or yield "just in case" someone crosses all those lines, but why not stop at intersections on the green signal "just in case" someone is coming to run a red light, or stopping before overtaking a car on the highway "just in case" the other car decides to change lanes when you are beside it. It is the same kind of "preemptive behavior" absent cause for "just in case" behavior.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Do people actually acknowledge solid lines where you are? People gently caress them up here all the time. Expecting them to turn into the correct lane without drifting into another one is completely unreasonable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Raluek posted:

Do people actually acknowledge solid lines where you are? People gently caress them up here all the time. Expecting them to turn into the correct lane without drifting into another one is completely unreasonable.

Nope, road markings are things that most drivers demand everyone else pay attention to. But they're exempt because they have this one good reason this time and gently caress you for even asking.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

People making left turns cut across lanes and lines all the time. You better be a car length behind the white line or that guy make a left turn from the road on your right is going to take your bumper off.

Or the people who don't notice or care about the "EXIT ONLY" signs going on for miles, so they just drive straight through onto the shoulder and then use that to merge back into traffic. Or maybe the do see it at the last second and swerve blindly into the correct lane.

Also, don't know about other places, but in Philadelphia its extremely common to cross the double yellow on the inside of your curve.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

That would be a massive failure to maintain lane by the blue car, as you can clearly see by the lane markings.

I have NEVER seen any blue line car do that there.

Around here, traffic turning left from a single turn lane onto a multi-lane road are SUPPOSED to turn into the nearest lane, but only about half of the cars (if that) actually do it. It wouldn't surprise me if that happens at that intersection as well.

That stub lane sure looks like a lane of travel, until its not.

It's a really dumb intersection, and that stub lane should simply not exist, or be painted with hatch lines to prevent people from entering. Is there a bus stop or something to justify it's existence?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Drifting into the right lane on a left hand turn is illegal and is probably the most abused traffic law out there. IIRC from driver's ed, you're not supposed to be in the right lane at all for a certain distance. Only then are you allowed to signal, check blind spot, and change lanes. I get nervous when I'm in a 2-lane to 2-lane left turn, I have to hope the car on my left holds his lane.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

sbyers77 posted:

Around here, traffic turning left from a single turn lane onto a multi-lane road are SUPPOSED to turn into the nearest lane, but only about half of the cars (if that) actually do it.

Gorson posted:

I get nervous when I'm in a 2-lane to 2-lane left turn, I have to hope the car on my left holds his lane.

This is why everyone in the second lane of a 2-into-3 left turn always goes into the third lane. No one trusts those sketching looking left-laners. I mean why were they in the leftmost lane to begin with? Probably passing people because they're reckless ne'er-do-wells.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Geoj posted:

Shockingly the VSP didn't write me a ticket, I guess "hitting wildlife" isn't/wasn't a ticketable offense.

Not only that, but I had an insurance policy that waived deductible for animal collisions. I was pleasantly surprised when the adjuster took a look at the blood, pulled some deer hairs out of the crumpled fender and said, "Yup, covered, no deductible."

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Was it this thread earlier where I read about deer that crash into cars and into the sides of houses etc?

Just saw this
http://imgur.com/gallery/EOFud

sbyers77 posted:

Around here, traffic turning left from a single turn lane onto a multi-lane road are SUPPOSED to turn into the nearest lane, but only about half of the cars (if that) actually do it. It wouldn't surprise me if that happens at that intersection as well.

That stub lane sure looks like a lane of travel, until its not.

It's a really dumb intersection, and that stub lane should simply not exist, or be painted with hatch lines to prevent people from entering. Is there a bus stop or something to justify it's existence?

I guess I am basically complaining about something that is minuscule compared to the drivers I see here in this thread or in person in other states/cities. People actually do turn in the nearest lane. The ONLY other bad behavior we have is oblivious idiots that sit at a left green arrow until there is only enough time for them and one other car to make it.

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

Phy posted:

I've mentioned it before but if I lived in a Bible area I'd get one that said "2 Kings 9:20" and leave it at that

"Driving like (a) Jehu" is a Swedish term that I didn't even know was Bible-related.

I don't have anything to report from the roads since I have started riding the bus again (cold+dark+moose hunt+leaves+mist=imminent death w/o a car) so IŽll just mention that my window at work overlooks the local vehicle inspection facility where the sports car importer have their cars inspected. So much Nippon, so little work.

Edit:
I am the people you share a road with:
Got stopped by customs officers crossing the border. They stopped me because I hit full throttle exiting the :siren:Customs Area:siren: which had a reduced speed limit. I guess only drug runners do that but since I was just stupid they let me go :haw:
WonŽt be doing that again.

Fattig fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 29, 2014

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Driving behind a VW, the light in front of us turned red. He noticed my right turn signal was on and squeezed waaay the gently caress over to the left side of our lane so I could fit past him and make my right turn. Thanks bud! I scooted by and looked over at him to give a wave... already, his face was excitedly buried in cell phone :saddowns:

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Sviatoslav posted:

Story to share:
A couple of weeks ago my friend was driving into work in heavy but steadily moving rush hour traffic. He is cruising in the left lane behind an S8 and some dude in a Malibu moving past slower traffic. They come up over a crest and the police have a speed trap set up in the center median with 3 cars and a couple of officers clocking speeders and waving them over to the side of the road to give them tickets. The dude in the Malibu gets clocked and the officer waves him over to the side of the road, and what does the driver do? Thats, right. Locks them up in the left lane at 65mph and comes to a dead stop in the middle of rush hour freeway traffic. S8 plows into the back of the Malibu and my buddie plows into the back of the S8. The only saving grace is he was driving his girlfriends car and not his ur-S4 and the S8 driver is also an Audi geek and knew that he was almost in tears about hitting his car. But now the Malibu kid is suing my friend, because according to the state of Ohio its his fault.

Bonus: The officers told my friend that every year they run speed traps in this area and they get about 900 tickets and 4-5 accidents exactly like that. What blows my mind is they are willing to accept that risk. My friend had 3 options. Dodge right and plow into a minivan, dodge left and plow into a couple of police officers standing on the side of the road killing them, or plow into the S8. None of those options are "safe". Yes, he should have had assured cleared distance. According to my drivers ed class its one car length per 10mph. At 65mph thats 6 1/2 car lengths... which is never going to happen in rush hour traffic. To keep distance you'd have to travel 40mph with your hazards on and even then 3 cars are going to move into that gap and you'll slow down further.

Update: My friend took it to court and as of today the ticket and fault of the accident was dismissed. So good on him. Just to make it clear (as there was some confusion) the police were on the side of the road waving speeders over, and instead of pulling on to the shoulder of the road and slowing down like a normal human in such instances, Malibu dude does a full 60-0mph stop in the left lane of the road. You can't prepare for that kind of stupid, and if you tried you'd never get in another car ever.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
These are the geese you share the road with
Full post later

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Full post later
No! Full post now!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Full post later

Hopefully, you'll have time to put your testicles away before posting.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Full post later

Wayne Gretzky did it better

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think, if I were a cop, I'd just drive around at night writing large tickets to morons who don't turn their lights on. Seriously, I don't drive at night much, but every time I do, I see at least one (usually more) car going down the road without lights on. Turn your goddamn loving lights on, you horrible morons! Automatic lights are no excuse, in my opinion: they're there as a fallback. Personally, I always turn my lights to the full on position even though I have automatic lights, especially in bad weather or near dusk when I want to be sure they're on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

I think, if I were a cop, I'd just drive around at night writing large tickets to morons who don't turn their lights on. Seriously, I don't drive at night much, but every time I do, I see at least one (usually more) car going down the road without lights on. Turn your goddamn loving lights on, you horrible morons!
You'd be pulling people over every 20 to 30 seconds, and chances are you'd have to kill half of them on the side of the road.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You'd be pulling people over every 20 to 30 seconds, and chances are you'd have to kill half of them on the side of the road.

I'm okay with that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

PT6A posted:

I think, if I were a cop, I'd just drive around at night writing large tickets to morons who don't turn their lights on. Seriously, I don't drive at night much, but every time I do, I see at least one (usually more) car going down the road without lights on. Turn your goddamn loving lights on, you horrible morons! Automatic lights are no excuse, in my opinion: they're there as a fallback. Personally, I always turn my lights to the full on position even though I have automatic lights, especially in bad weather or near dusk when I want to be sure they're on.

This is apparently me every time I drive my boss's van for work. First time I drive this van at night I was doing a job like 6 months ago in D.C. with a coworker and the sun was just setting as we left, so with traffic it was pretty dark by the time we got to the beltway and I finally noticed my lights weren't on. Felt like an idiot since I'm used to automatic lights or popup lights where it's obvious they aren't up. Then two weeks ago the same coworker and did a job at the same place and I was joking about how I didn't turn the lights on last time. We leave and it's still a bit light but slightly raining and first thing I do when we get in the van is twist the knob, I see a light go on the dashboard that clearly looks like headlights and off we go. Sun sets as we wade through traffic and about a half hour later I realize my lights still aren't on. That dash light that looks like headlights is just to let you know the interior lights are on, and you have to twist the knob further to turn headlights on, which doesn't have any kind of indication. So I'm just gonna stop hating on people without lights on and assume they're just driving their boss's lovely hondas for the first or second time since I'm clearly one of them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

My main grind is that cars should have two options: when you leave your headlights on and turn off the car, the lights turn off and no buzzer sounds (like subaru does) and then you never have to turn them on or off again.

Other option: headlights turn on with every start and you can select to turn them off if you want, but they always turn on when you start the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

davebo posted:

That dash light that looks like headlights is just to let you know the interior lights are on, and you have to twist the knob further to turn headlights on, which doesn't have any kind of indication.

That belongs in a horrible engineering failure thread somewhere, because what the hell Honda.

Every car I've ever driven in my life lit the dash indicator only when the headlights were turned on. Every other setting produced no result on the dash (other than high beams, which turns on a blue indicator). Deviating from that convention seems like a great way to guarantee someone dies in a car wreck somewhere.