Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Biodome posted:

Those look great, thanks! Do you think they're gonna need an amp to sound decent as well? I don't know if she'll go for ones that need an amp.

They should be fine. They do suck down a little more juice than average, but you shouldn't be listening that loud anyway. An amp won't do much but make it louder.

They work well with a mobile device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

BiohazrD posted:

Budget - <$60
Source - Music from my iPhone
Isolation Requirements - Whatever
Preferred Type of Headphone - In ear, these are going to be airport/out and about headphones. So a small roll up case would be nice to prevent tangles.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD-280 PRO is my go to at home but these are not super portable

I was also thinking about getting a small portable amp if needed. Something like the FiiO E6.

Also, has anyone used the Ele EL-D06 DAC? They're pretty cheap and made in China. I picked one up to hook up to my vintage receiver to play music from my MacBook. They also have a headphone jack and when I use it with my HD280 they sound fantastic. Neat little basic DAC that some people may be interested in.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Bit of a first world request here. What's a good Bluetooth headphone for under a Benjamin? I'm getting real tired of my HD 650 cables coiling around me as I shift around in bed on my iPad. This is literally the only use it'll get.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

BiohazrD posted:

Budget - <$60
Preferred Type of Headphone - In ear, these are going to be airport/out and about headphones. So a small roll up case would be nice to prevent tangles.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD-280 PRO is my go to at home but these are not super portable

I was also thinking about getting a small portable amp if needed. Something like the FiiO E6.

Also, has anyone used the Ele EL-D06 DAC? They're pretty cheap and made in China. I picked one up to hook up to my vintage receiver to play music from my MacBook. They also have a headphone jack and when I use it with my HD280 they sound fantastic. Neat little basic DAC that some people may be interested in.

Check this liste and find something that suits ya. As for a portable amp, don't bother with one, especially something like the E6.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

BiohazrD posted:

Budget - <$60

If you don't need a LOT of isolation check out the Xiaomi Piston 2.0. They're pretty comparable in sound to the VSonic VSD1 series for about 1/2 the price.
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Xiao...keywords=xiaomi

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/xiaomi-piston-2/

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 23, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Retarded Pimp posted:

If you don't need a LOT of isolation check out the Xiaomi Piston 2.0. They're pretty comparable in sound to the VSonic VSD1 series for about 1/2 the price.

Be careful of the cheapo (e.g. $7) ones on that page, though. A lot of those sellers are selling counterfeits. The official Amazon-sold ones should be fine though.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Beautiful Princess posted:

So I recently got a pair of Sennheiser PC 350 for gaming and started using them for music/movies etc late at night as I am in an apartment. I couldn't believe how good they sound, and I am just using on board audio. I am considering getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 or better though for longer listening as the PC 350's get really warm really quick. I also picked up a set of Audioengine A5+'s and they sound great.

So what I would the improvement be if I were to get a DAC for the Sennheisers and Audioengines and would looking at getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 or better be a large imporvment over vs my PC 350's for the cost of the investment?

The 598 is a great set and is a logical step up for you. If you're comfortable with very simple modding, the 558 sans damping foam is significantly cheaper and sounds the same. Only buy a dac if you think your on board one isn't cutting it, you could always test it out and return it.

Edit: just looked at the prices and the 598 is only $180 on Amazon, wow that's cheap

GrandPapil
Jan 14, 2004
The Man
I would totally jump on those 598's for 180 but as I live in Canada where they are currently selling for 260$ I think ill hold off and hope for a decent sale before Christmas.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Retarded Pimp posted:

Sweet, picked up a set of these.

Internet Headache
May 14, 2007
Budget - $100 to $250
Source - Macbook Pro with FiiO E07K DAC
Isolation Requirements - I'll mostly use them at home, but I might also use them in a coworking space. I won't wear them on a train or wherever.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear. I'll wear them for hours at a time so comfort is important.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass over balanced.
Past Headphones -
Sennheiser HD 212pro: they're ancient and sound great for what they cost, but they're in rough shape.
ATH-M50X: the sound was exactly what I wanted, but they gripped my skull like a tourniquet. I tried stretching out the headband for a couple weeks by flexing and keeping in a vice, but I still couldn't wear them for more than a few minutes.
Preferred Music - I listen to electronic like drum and bass when I'm working but mostly varied.

Sennheiser 598 look pretty good, but I read that some people weren't impressed with the bass. I'm not looking for Beats garbage cans, but will they at least match the HD212?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Internet Headache posted:

Budget - $100 to $250
Source - Macbook Pro with FiiO E07K DAC
Isolation Requirements - I'll mostly use them at home, but I might also use them in a coworking space. I won't wear them on a train or wherever.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear. I'll wear them for hours at a time so comfort is important.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass over balanced.
Past Headphones -
Sennheiser HD 212pro: they're ancient and sound great for what they cost, but they're in rough shape.
ATH-M50X: the sound was exactly what I wanted, but they gripped my skull like a tourniquet. I tried stretching out the headband for a couple weeks by flexing and keeping in a vice, but I still couldn't wear them for more than a few minutes.
Preferred Music - I listen to electronic like drum and bass when I'm working but mostly varied.

Sennheiser 598 look pretty good, but I read that some people weren't impressed with the bass. I'm not looking for Beats garbage cans, but will they at least match the HD212?

Audio Technica A900x might fit your bill.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Got the Donscorpio Bass Colour (Velodyne vPulse clone/oem)
These are far less V shaped than the vPulse, but have the exact same build and construction as the 2012 vpulse. They sound retuned to my ear, mids are more forward and treble is sweet and not siblant. Bass goes as low as the vpulse if eq'd as such but out of the box, far less. I have a feeling you guys would love these suckers. I would say they are kind of a cross between the vPulse and TTPOD T1E. Low sub bass performance of the vpulse but with more the TTPOD highs and mids.

Cost me around $40 which was 30 for the phones and 10 in shipping.. so nothing major.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have a question about "burn in" which is basically does it exist. Internet articles say it is a bunch of BS and its your ears getting used to a particular sound but reviewers claim burn in is essential for most phones. What do goons say?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

redeyes posted:

I have a question about "burn in" which is basically does it exist. Internet articles say it is a bunch of BS and its your ears getting used to a particular sound but reviewers claim burn in is essential for most phones. What do goons say?

Burn in on loudspeakers is real, with measurable differences in response after break-in. If you are measuring individual drivers to design a speaker, you have to burn-in the driver before you test it or the design won't be right once the finished speakers burn-in. As I understand it [that is, read on the internet somewhere], this is mostly due to the materials changing physically as they move repeatedly. Things like the fibers in the spider breaking into smaller pieces on a micro scale as it moves, making the spider less rigid. I imagine that there are similar changes that happen to the materials in headphones. In the loudspeaker world, there are lots of opinions on how long to burn-in. A few hours to many days. The speakers change response over their entire life, but most of the change happens right away. I think something like 20 hours is plenty for anything. But does it really matter if you aren't going to measure the response? Let them run for a few hours, or don't. Just use them and they will automatically be burned-in.

e: To be clear, I meant for the takeaway to be: there probably is such a thing but it doesn't matter.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 28, 2014

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The short answer is: No.

The long answer is: NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

redeyes posted:

Without any scientific measurements, I've definitely heard it, mostly in IEMs, which seem to be where most people disagree it happening. I always let new IEMs sit with music playing for 20-50 hours before listening but then again I review them so I have a lag period for that to occur with no loss of time.

Squid Inc
Feb 12, 2011
So I've been living on fairly lovely iPhone earbuds and relying on my computer mic for quite some time, but I've finally saved up enough scratch to blow on a Macbook Pro and I'd love something equally nice to go with it.

Budget: up to 100 bucks
Source: Macbook Pro, iPod/phone, my dodgy hp gaming laptop (feel free to laugh)
Isolation requirements: I tend to travel alot, so something that will cancel out plane/train noises would be great. I don't mind carrying around something slightly bulky (i.e. over the ear headphones) if it means I can actually hear what I'm listening to without blowing an eardrum.
Preferred tonal balance: I have no idea - but something that would be great when watching movies, playing scary games etc.
Extras: would it be worth getting something with a microphone? I use skype to communicate with clients quite a bit. Also I used a friends bluetooth headset for awhile and being untethered to a mortal machine was magical.

Any where I should start? Until I read the OP I was more then prepared to drop extra money on something that was 'noise-cancelling'

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Midorka (and other contributors): thanks for the managing the first post of this thread, I've used it (or previous versions) in the past and it's a great resource.

My current work headphones are starting to disintegrate (both the padding and the bass is starting to crackle), and I've been eying a new pair recently.

Budget - Less then $400
Source - Computer sound cards primarily, sometimes portable devices.
Isolation Requirements - As much as possible, I need to minimize loud conversations and constant HVAC white noise at work - while also minimizing noise bleed so my loud music doesn't annoy coworkers overly much.
Preferred Type of Headphone - On Ear or In-Ear. I have glasses that start to hurt against my temples when wearing cans for too long. (they also can break the seal for isolation)
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, with a fondness for bass
Past Headphones - At home I have Sennheiser HD-598s which I love and work well with my glasses, but have minimal isolation. At work I'm on my second pair of Bose "Quiet Comfort" noise cancellers. First pair were cans, current is on-ear with electric noise cancelling (and are apparently no longer available). They did the job quite well, I occasionally even use them with no music and just the noise cancelling switched on. Conversations would come through clearly, but if music is playing, they seem to get cancelled more effectively.
Preferred Music - A bit of everything except most country/modern pop. Classical guitar, industrial, classical classical, techno, rock, funk, lyrical rap, jazz...

After poking through this thread a bit, I've currently got my eye on these IEMs: CT-200 - but wanted to throw this post up first as most of the discussions regarding these seem to be a few years old.

Thanks for any pointers. :love:

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 28, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Midorka (and other contributors): thanks for the managing the first post of this thread, I've used it (or previous versions) in the past and it's a great resource.

Joker gives the CTM-200 a high score and he's hands down one of the foremost IEM experts in the world. According to charts and his review it sounds like they won't have the bass you want. I personally am in love with the InEar StageDiver 2, but they are $450. By the time you have your custom impressions done for the CTM-200 you're looking at $400 or more anyway though.

Now if you definitely want to stay under $400 joker highly praises the Custom Art Music One. They peaked my interest for sure.

Squid Inc posted:

So I've been living on fairly lovely iPhone earbuds and relying on my computer mic for quite some time, but I've finally saved up enough scratch to blow on a Macbook Pro and I'd love something equally nice to go with it.

I think that the NVX XPT100+mic would work nicely for you.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Budget - 50-100 bux but could go higher
Source - 'puter, ipod
Isolation Requirements - yes plz
Preferred Type of Headphone - over-ear
Past Headphones - generic stuff and apple earbuds

Comfort of the ears, noise isolation, and not poo poo build quality are my main concern. I'm looking at stuff like
http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-MDR-V55R-Black-style-Headphones/dp/B007BY3PNW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1414450357&sr=8-7&keywords=Sony+MDR-V6
http://www.amazon.ca/Koss-ProDJ100-Headphones/dp/B003X1BEKI/ref=sr_1_30?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414458659&sr=1-30
http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-419-Headphones-Black/dp/B005N8W1MO/ref=pd_sbs_MI_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1XHJAA4KHR1027YSSTJF
http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30x-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUQW8/ref=pd_sbs_MI_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GKBJKQSQQN452RWD9K6
http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-MDRV6-Monitor-Headphones-Voice/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414530045&sr=1-4

I don't know if these are any good or what. Being 6'7 with ears to match comfort is first priority.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I have the Sony MDR-7506, which is more or less identical to the MDR-V6, and they're pretty comfortable and sound alright.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dik-dik posted:

I have the Sony MDR-7506, which is more or less identical to the MDR-V6, and they're pretty comfortable and sound alright.
7506/V6 is definitely the best reference phone under $100, maybe even the best full-size headphone under $100, but they have pleather earpads which are less comfortable than velour. If you don't have A/C running full blast when it's warm, your ears will sweat.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

7506/V6 is definitely the best reference phone under $100, maybe even the best full-size headphone under $100, but they have pleather earpads which are less comfortable than velour. If you don't have A/C running full blast when it's warm, your ears will sweat.

That's not true. I would take the NVX XPT100 over them.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

the v7506/v6 are (identical and) pretty much the best option under $100

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

So I've been saving up to invest in some nice headphones for a few months now and I'm about ready to make some purchases.

I've already got the following:

- Audioengine A2's
- Audioengine D1 DAC (and is of course a headphone amp as well, so I'm good on this front I think)

I gave a friends Philips X1's a few listens and pretty much instantly fell in love, especially for electronic music and really anything that wants headphones with some decent bass. They sound amazing and are ridiculously comfortable (and not to mention the build quality). So, I kind of have my heart set on a pair.

However I realize because of their unique sound they are not going to be good all around headphones. I also play a lot of games and like a wide range of music, so I'm looking for a second pair that will compliment the X1's in this regard. These are both going to be used in my home office, so open ear is totally fine.

Also picking up a VMODA BoomPro mic, that way I can stay the hell away from the lovely gaming headset market and just plug that sucker into either pair.

Anyway, what would you guys suggest as a complimentary pair of headphones to the X1's? With the budget I have I can afford the X1's and still have around $250 left over.

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Overture posted:

So I've been saving up to invest in some nice headphones for a few months now and I'm about ready to make some purchases.

I've already got the following:

- Audioengine A2's
- Audioengine D1 DAC (and is of course a headphone amp as well, so I'm good on this front I think)

I gave a friends Philips X1's a few listens and pretty much instantly fell in love, especially for electronic music and really anything that wants headphones with some decent bass. They sound amazing and are ridiculously comfortable (and not to mention the build quality). So, I kind of have my heart set on a pair.

However I realize because of their unique sound they are not going to be good all around headphones. I also play a lot of games and like a wide range of music, so I'm looking for a second pair that will compliment the X1's in this regard. These are both going to be used in my home office, so open ear is totally fine.

Also picking up a VMODA BoomPro mic, that way I can stay the hell away from the lovely gaming headset market and just plug that sucker into either pair.

Anyway, what would you guys suggest as a complimentary pair of headphones to the X1's? With the budget I have I can afford the X1's and still have around $250 left over.

You might look into the x2, it's supposed to be a more balanced x1 at $300

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Midorka posted:

Without any scientific measurements, I've definitely heard it, mostly in IEMs, which seem to be where most people disagree it happening. I always let new IEMs sit with music playing for 20-50 hours before listening but then again I review them so I have a lag period for that to occur with no loss of time.

Scientific measurements would suggest otherwise.

http://www.wired.com/2013/11/tnhyui-earphone-burn-in/

quote:

Shure has tested some thoroughly used pairs of its E1 earphones, which first launched in 1997. And guess what? They measure the same now as when they came off the line. In fact, during the 15 years Shure has been actively selling earphones, its engineers have reached the same conclusion again and again: The sound produced by these tiny transducers during final testing is the same sound you’ll get in a day, in a year, and in five years… unless something goes wrong.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

chippy posted:

Scientific measurements would suggest otherwise.

http://www.wired.com/2013/11/tnhyui-earphone-burn-in/

Changes can occur through fit, as well, and measured "burn in" is mostly below 1dB in ∆power sum.

Burn in may or may not exist, but it's so minor it may as well not. Pads breaking in, however, absolutely will change how you hear things in minor ways.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 29, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

WugLyfe posted:

Changes can occur through fit, as well, and measured "burn in" is mostly below 1dB in ∆power sum.

Burn in may or may not exist, but it's so minor it may as well not. Pads breaking in, however, absolutely will change how you hear things in minor ways.

I've only heard sound changes in a full-sized headphone once, the Ad900. The pads are so stiff that it took around 2-3 months of daily use for them to finally form a good seal.

As for driver changes, most BA IEMs I've heard are harsh as hell from the start, taking a bit to get into where they sound good.

I've used a lot of IEMs and this has been rather consistent to my ears.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Midorka posted:

Now if you definitely want to stay under $400 joker highly praises the Custom Art Music One. They peaked my interest for sure.

Oh nice, these even seem more comfortable as they're not rigid acrylic. Thanks again!

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 29, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Burn-in is Monster Cable for audiophiles.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Burn-in is Monster Cable for audiophiles.

There are many far more harmful things to believe within the audio world. At least believing in burn-in has no monetary drawback.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I picked up a digital piano recently, and I'm looking for some headphones to use with it. I think I've narrowed it down to either Shure SRH840 or Sennheiser HD598. Mostly I'm wondering about the Sennheisers. I've never owned open headphones before and from what I've read they might make it sound a bit more 'real'. Anyone have any experience/advice/opinions? Of course I've seen both of these mentioned pretty often in this thread, so I'm sure either one would be fine and I'm overthinking it.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Budget - ~$50 +/- $25
Source - PC gaming
Isolation Requirements - Closed, I imagine.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Headphones or Headset don't really care, whatever is the best deal. These will be primarily used for CS:GO.
Past Headphones - Earbuds and HD555's a really long time ago. RIP

Thought about the Sennheiser PC310 route but, there's SO many new companies out there I wanted to hear from you guys. I'm hearing things like stay away from the gaming companies (steelseries, razer, etc.). I've heard good things about Superlux, Sennheiser, Qpad, Audio-Technica and a few others.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

misguided rage posted:

I picked up a digital piano recently, and I'm looking for some headphones to use with it. I think I've narrowed it down to either Shure SRH840 or Sennheiser HD598. Mostly I'm wondering about the Sennheisers. I've never owned open headphones before and from what I've read they might make it sound a bit more 'real'. Anyone have any experience/advice/opinions? Of course I've seen both of these mentioned pretty often in this thread, so I'm sure either one would be fine and I'm overthinking it.

The drawback is that they leak sound as well as let it in. Open backed cans have the nice upside of not closing off your ears from the outside world, so sound introduced by the drivers can appear like it came naturally from your surroundings.

In theory anyway. No set of cans is perfect for everyone, but the 598s aren't a bad start.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Hey chaps, thought I'd pop by to get some advice on an upcoming purchase because your last tips were spot on, and I'm not sure what's currently out there since I last looked, plus I've got loads of concerns this time around ...

So based on the template I've seen:

Budget - ~$150 +/- $25
Source - iPod Classic 160Gb (current gen, no amp)
Isolation Requirements - Need to be IEMs really for a number of reasons, isolation primarily.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Definitely IEMs, typically used in bed, in the office and wandering around.
Past Headphones - Probably better elaborate on this one ...

Soundmagic E10
I thought these were really good for the price, I loved the V-shaped sound profile and they were absurdly good for the price. Unfortunately broke after just after a year or so (cable joins went at the headphone side).

VSonic GR06
Found these weird to begin with because of the wear style and the slightly more balanced sound signature but I ended up growing to love them eventually, Kinda liked them having a sort of V shaped signature but with a little bit more midrange. Again, these broke after about a year and a half.

Brainwavz M2
Absolutely hated these. Ended up returning them pretty much immediately, I couldn't stand the sound signature. The mid-tones were really pronounced and I found it horrible, sounded like listening to everything through a horrible tinny radio ...

Audio Technica ATH-CKM500
This is the pair I'm currently using but they're on the way out, I've had to superglue them back together three or four times so far and I don't think they're going to last much longer. However, I do really like them, I love the sound signature and they've done a great job, although like all the others they've only lasted a year or so.

Basically, I seem to really like V shaped sound signature headphones, and I'd really like to spend a good amount of money on a really nice pair considering how much usage they get. However, I'm really concerned that if I buy a decent pair they're just going to break in a year or so and it's going to be a big waste of cash. I tend to use rubber tips rather than foam ones as they seem to accentuate the treble more, where foam ones make the sound a bit warmer and muffled which I don't really like.

Currently I'm thinking about a pair of JVC HA-FXT90s, but I'd be more than willing to entertain the idea of something more expensive if they're of good quality and are going to last.

Just for clarity, I listen to lots of different stuff, but mostly heavy metal and noise rock with some electronic stuff thrown in.

Any ideas?

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

misguided rage posted:

The HD598 is the better headphone in terms of sound quality and comfort. I see no reason you shouldn't buy it if you are comfortable with sound leaking in and out (as in, someone sitting next to you would be able to hear your music and you would be able to hear them talking). If you decide you want a closed headphone, the srh840 is a decent choice if you like that sort of signature.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sony V6 lightning deal for $50: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001WRSJ/

Talk me out of buying them. I have HD650s to use at home and a variety of IEMs for out and about. I want them just because they're a classic headphone that every audiophile should own, but I would never use them and it seems like it would be a waste of $50, especially since the 7506 is what I'd really want if I were adding to a headphone collection.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 30, 2014

Squid Inc
Feb 12, 2011

Midorka posted:

Joker gives the CTM-200 a high score and he's hands down one of the foremost IEM experts in the world. According to charts and his review it sounds like they won't have the bass you want. I personally am in love with the InEar StageDiver 2, but they are $450. By the time you have your custom impressions done for the CTM-200 you're looking at $400 or more anyway though.

I think that the NVX XPT100+mic would work nicely for you.

They look great! Thanks for your advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Got the Narmoo S1 coming in, the dual dynamic driver seems nice and they are recommended by joker for a good basshead IEM. I still just adore my vpulse phones so I am going to repair the cable. The cable is easy to solder copper so there is that. I am not kidding when I say they have the best bass of any headphone I have ever heard.

Also, the Don Scorpio's are not so great, after I burned them in the treble seems to have a serious peak that I cannot stand and thus, can't use em. Also the little zipper case broke instantly and 2 of the earbuds had cracked rubber.. so forget em. They are not cheaper vPulses by any stretch of the imagination.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 30, 2014