Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

pokeyman posted:

Has anyone here had to deal with the App Store Review Guideline 25.6 "Keyboard extensions must provide Number and Decimal keyboard types as described in the App Extension Programming Guide or they will be rejected"? I cannot find anything about this in the cited programming guide, so I'm not sure what exactly is expected. I'll see about an exception (it's for Awful's smilie keyboard, I'm not sure adding numbers makes any sense whatsoever), and barring that I guess I'll throw 0-9,. on a screen and show it when the keyboard type is numeric?

I have head of this before in the Debug podcast I think. You need to add the numericals no matter what else your doing... Pointless yes but a requirement from Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I'm not so sure. There's a keyboard called Emoji++ that is only emoji characters, and it doesn't have any numerals (to my knowledge).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I found someone on the devforums saying they got through review after explaining that their keyboard was like the system Emoji keyboard and numbers made no sense blah blah blah. I've tried that for now, otherwise I'll need to figure out where to put some stupid numbers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I found someone on the devforums saying they got through review after explaining that their keyboard was like the system Emoji keyboard and numbers made no sense blah blah blah. I've tried that for now, otherwise I'll need to figure out where to put some stupid numbers.

If it comes to that, we could buy some animated smilies for 0-9.

We already have :camera6: and :page3: and :synpa:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

If it comes to that, we could buy some animated smilies for 0-9.

We already have :camera6: and :page3: and :synpa:

That plus :regd04: :regd05: :regd07: :smilie: and we're only missing 8!

I'm kinda tempted to try this. If the reviewer just needs some cover-your-rear end story it's not the dumbest thing I can think of.

Maybe second dumbest.

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008
There's always a figure 8. :wom:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just can't figure out how to set the height of a Today extension to fit the size of my table view cells. All I have is in my storyboard is a table view controller that uses a cell prototype from a separate nib. When I have tried using "self.tableView.rowHeight = UITableViewAutomaticDimension" and set my self.tableView.estimatedRowHeight to something reasonable, I got very undersized cells, and more importantly, the height of the table view didn't get set properly.

I once checked "use preferred explicit size" in the table view controller and set some values, just to get it working at all. Now it seems to stick to those values even with the box unticked.

I occasionally get the message "Detected a case where constraints ambiguously suggest a height of zero for a tableview cell's content view. We're considering the collapse unintentional and using standard height instead."

Maybe I am loving up at constraints. I'm not sure. I've tried a few times to clear and remake them in the cell prototype. The height in there is set to 80, but auto layout doesn't seem to acknowledge that.

I have done a lot of googling on this and am pretty stumped. Any ideas?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

If you haven't, check out WWDC 2014 session 226 What's New in Table and Collection Views. (It sounds like you watched it but just making sure.)

Anyway, if you're using self-sizing cells you need constraints to unambiguously determine the height of the cell. That you're getting the message basically cinches it.

For example, if you had a cell with a lone label in it, you could add a constraint label.top = superview.top + 10 and then another label.bottom = superview.bottom - 10, and then the cell's height is based off the label's intrinsic size plus a 10pt margin.

Finally I couldn't manage to add a height constraint (e.g. to set a minimum height) to the cell's contentView in IB, either in a storyboard or in a nib. I had to do it in code.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
As mentioned earlier I am looking to make an iCloud app for sending notes to a Mac from the iPhone. My question is with regards to dev licences. I am renewing my ios license and wanted to offer the OSX sister app via a download not the App Store. Is this possible?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

As mentioned earlier I am looking to make an iCloud app for sending notes to a Mac from the iPhone. My question is with regards to dev licences. I am renewing my ios license and wanted to offer the OSX sister app via a download not the App Store. Is this possible?

Yes, if you nix the 'iCloud' bit. If it were me, I'd just forget iCloud exists and use Dropbox instead.

Otherwise, I'm not sure iCloud works outside of the Mac App Store. The macro trend, though, is away from the MAS, I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Since Yosemite and iCloud Drive, you don't need to be in the Mac App Store to make it work on OS X, I believe.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Yes, if you nix the 'iCloud' bit. If it were me, I'd just forget iCloud exists and use Dropbox instead.

Otherwise, I'm not sure iCloud works outside of the Mac App Store. The macro trend, though, is away from the MAS, I think.

My main reason for using icloud is to learn the process. I just didn't want to be locked into the mac app store because of it. Can always test it I suppose.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Since Yosemite and iCloud Drive, you don't need to be in the Mac App Store to make it work on OS X, I believe.

Well there's also the fact that anybody who decided to be a good Apple citizen and buy into iCloud made themselves unable to ever transfer those apps to a different account. This is a problem if, for example, your app is paid, and you'd like to migrate the app to a different publisher - which would come up if it were acquired, for example.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Well there's also the fact that anybody who decided to be a good Apple citizen and buy into iCloud made themselves unable to ever transfer those apps to a different account. This is a problem if, for example, your app is paid, and you'd like to migrate the app to a different publisher - which would come up if it were acquired, for example.

Yeah, not their best planning, I agree.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I just noticed Photos is called MobileSlideShow.app. Love it.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

pokeyman posted:

I just noticed Photos is called MobileSlideShow.app. Love it.

I stumbled upon this today too. Looking at WatchSpringboard by any chance? :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Froist posted:

I stumbled upon this today too. Looking at WatchSpringboard by any chance? :)

Nah, I somehow missed the release notes item that says Safari, Maps, and your apps don't work with keyboards in the simulator, but Photos works.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Do I really need to type in my Beta App Review Information every time? Is there somewhere I can type in default values?

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
nothing about the new testflight is scriptable/automatable iirc. One of the major reasons we might be switching to hockey app.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Kallikrates posted:

nothing about the new testflight is scriptable/automatable iirc. One of the major reasons we might be switching to hockey app.

Have Apple said anything about discontinuing the old TestFlight system? For now we're still using that.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
No one knows. But good luck getting timely/good support from old testflight. As an example the service will go down sometimes with no updates on their status page or twitter account.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So far my experiences with new Testflight have been pretty crappy.

In addition to the inability to script any of it to push builds out of a CI pipeline, it really sucks that whatever Apple ID is signed into the App Store on the device is also the Apple ID that is signed into the Testflight app on the device.

Heaven forbid you're in a BYOD scenario at work, with a personal Apple ID for the App Store and then a second work Apple ID that has access to all your company's stuff (and presumably your dogfood builds on Testflight). You have to either go wasting time with signing in and out on the App Store on the device all the time, or you have to go adding people's personal Apple IDs to your company's iTunes Connect. The former is quite a pain, and the latter is totally a non-starter.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

kitten smoothie posted:

So far my experiences with new Testflight have been pretty crappy.

In addition to the inability to script any of it to push builds out of a CI pipeline, it really sucks that whatever Apple ID is signed into the App Store on the device is also the Apple ID that is signed into the Testflight app on the device.

Heaven forbid you're in a BYOD scenario at work, with a personal Apple ID for the App Store and then a second work Apple ID that has access to all your company's stuff (and presumably your dogfood builds on Testflight). You have to either go wasting time with signing in and out on the App Store on the device all the time, or you have to go adding people's personal Apple IDs to your company's iTunes Connect. The former is quite a pain, and the latter is totally a non-starter.

Is anyone honestly surprised? It's super great because signing out also deletes my iTunes Match music library.

Also I can't run work stuff on my phone because we are at the 100 device limit, another insane policy with no legitimate purpose.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Also, hot tip: you can only submit two new betas to external testers via new TestFlight per 24 hours. Even if you tick the "nothing significant changed" box.

I dunno how often that'll come up for anyone but the more you know.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I figured out my relenteless Today Extension sizing issue. The key was in this line in my table view controller's widgetPerformUpdate function:

self.preferredContentSize = self.tableView.contentSize

In a context where the table view controller is only as big as it needs to be to hold the table view, it's necessary to assign the table view's content size to the table view controller. In a normal context in an app, a static amount of space is usually set aside for your table view controller. That's the best I can determine about it.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I'm involved in a small funded project, porting the foobar2000 audio player to iOS, Android, and Windows Phone. So far we've started alpha testing of the iOS port, which is specced for iOS 6.1 minimum. One thing I wondered about provisioning profiles, the main developer, Peter, created the team's distribution key pair and certificate, so Xcode tells me the profile already has an iOS Distribution key. So I need his private key if I want to export release .ipa bundles, correct?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

Also, hot tip: you can only submit two new betas to external testers via new TestFlight per 24 hours. Even if you tick the "nothing significant changed" box.

I dunno how often that'll come up for anyone but the more you know.

So basically one beta a day, if you want to have an option to send out a "oh poo poo download this instead !!!" release?

Being able to easily dump out a release is like the cornerstone of TestFlight usage. No API and upload limits kinda put a damper on that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm trying to imagine the product designer for Testflight being happy with what the acquisition did to her product, but it's really hard.

Apple's always been a bit tone-deaf about fast-moving apps, but this is pretty extreme.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There is no apparent reason for Apple to impose these limitations on number of devices or number of betas per day. Companies should be able to decide their own way of working on things. Does that hockey app give the capabilities that are actually desirable?

I'm trying to make my app back compatible with 7.1 and I'm getting a funny behavior in prepareForSegue in my view controllers. All my view controllers are wrapped in navigation controllers. Basically, in iOS 8, I have to write code like the following:

var destination = segue.destinationViewController.childViewControllers.last as MyViewController

in iOS 7.1, I have to do this:

var destination = segue.destinationViewController as MyViewController

Is there a better way to do this, and if not, what's the best practice to write version-specific code in the same context e.g. if iOSVersion == 8 { ... } else if iOSVersion == 7.1 { ... }

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Probably not a huge secret but: you can get a hold of system UIWindows (like status bar and on-screen keyboard) by observing the UIWindowDidBecomeVisibleNotification and UIWindowDidBecomeHiddenNotification events. The window will be the notification's object property. You'll be able to tell if they're system windows because they won't be listed in [UIApplication sharedApplication].windows

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I'm trying to imagine the product designer for Testflight being happy with what the acquisition did to her product, but it's really hard.

Apple's always been a bit tone-deaf about fast-moving apps, but this is pretty extreme.

I think TestFlight betas are meant more for public betas, where it's unlikely you'll be distributing multiple betas per day.

Of course, I'm a one-man-shop indie developer who hasn't even reached 10 devices so whatever.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

I think TestFlight betas are meant more for public betas, where it's unlikely you'll be distributing multiple betas per day.

Of course, I'm a one-man-shop indie developer who hasn't even reached 10 devices so whatever.

The internal betas, for people with iTunes Connect accounts, don't have the limit. You're right: the limit only applies to the public side of a beta.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

pokeyman posted:

The internal betas, for people with iTunes Connect accounts, don't have the limit. You're right: the limit only applies to the public side of a beta.

You can only have 25 of those because of course that's a serious concern and not an arbitrary limit. I mean, Apple's policies have done so well to keep crappy worthless apps out of the store and to stop people from selling device slots. That's totally worth making life difficult for developers.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

kode54 posted:

I'm involved in a small funded project, porting the foobar2000 audio player to iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.

Just please don't write your own CODEC for any that's already provided by the OS. (On any platform.) The CODECs included with the OS tend to be highly tuned, leveraging hardware when possible either for all of the decoding or for vector operations, and taking things like battery impact into account.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
e: nevermind, seems like the DNS at my workplace is f-ed up.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 1, 2014

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

I have an NSViewController subclass that implements keyDown:, which gets called correctly, but even if I don't call super.keyDown, the event seems to continue up the responder chain because I get a beep whenever I handle a key event. Has anyone else run into this and/or know of a workaround?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

Just please don't write your own CODEC for any that's already provided by the OS. (On any platform.) The CODECs included with the OS tend to be highly tuned, leveraging hardware when possible either for all of the decoding or for vector operations, and taking things like battery impact into account.

We're already coded up for both native and our own codecs because the compiled ones are way faster, and also because we want to have the option to decode multiple files simultaneously. You know, in case you want to burn battery power ReplayGain scanning your music on the device. That technically isn't in the player at the moment, but multithreaded benchmarking is, basically ported from the desktop version.

Yeah, we'll probably default to hardware codecs where possible, if I can convince Peter that it may save battery power. Of course, thanks to me, it also supports all of the formats of foo_dumb and a bunch of PSF related formats. Hopefully that won't bar acceptance at the App Store.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Just want to vent. Ran some gtests in the simulator before leaving work that hit an assert. This morning I wake up to the root drive almost out of space. So I fire up disk inventory x and free up 30 gigs. Hour later I'm out of space fully. 0 bytes and things failing due to not being able to save state. Turns out there's 80 1 gig swap files and Xcode is using 73 gigs virtual. With everything failing I just rebooted and went to lunch.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

Hughlander posted:

Just want to vent. Ran some gtests in the simulator before leaving work that hit an assert. This morning I wake up to the root drive almost out of space. So I fire up disk inventory x and free up 30 gigs. Hour later I'm out of space fully. 0 bytes and things failing due to not being able to save state. Turns out there's 80 1 gig swap files and Xcode is using 73 gigs virtual. With everything failing I just rebooted and went to lunch.

Ahaha; sad but I don't think any modern desktop OS is smart enough to say "oh this one process is using as much swap as double the available RAM in the system. Maybe we should suspend it and ask the user about that..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ender.uNF posted:

Ahaha; sad but I don't think any modern desktop OS is smart enough to say "oh this one process is using as much swap as double the available RAM in the system. Maybe we should suspend it and ask the user about that..."

Well. I have max memory usage on prod and obviously any jvm process has a max heap. But it was just a venting thing and now I know to check vsize before looking for free space.