Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Real Name Grover posted:

Anyone have a good, cheap idea how to make a pair of Archer's night vision goggles for Halloween?

The glasses are the hard part, I suppose. I can just paint the lenses green and not give a poo poo about seeing through them.

You can buy colored vinyl at big fabric/craft stores, I imagine there are clear colors available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
PVC pipes for the frames. Find someone with a cutting tool to get them the right length, add flanges (I think that's the right word) in front to add width and hold the lenses, and drill some holes for attaching them to each other/your head. Then paint 'em gray and add the lenses.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

What are recommended ways of keeping your mind sharp? I feel like my mind and mental faculties have turned to (relative) mush since college and lurking on SA online and FPS games don't seem to help much in that regard. :v:

Reading challenging literature.

I'm kind of a word geek so I keep a notebook of vocabulary from my reading and then put it into Anki flash cards on my phone and review them till I know by heart.

I could give you some recommendations if you're interested?

Edit
I'm not saying you need to read Pynchon (ughhhh), but something which requires a bit of focus.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 28, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

What are recommended ways of keeping your mind sharp? I feel like my mind and mental faculties have turned to (relative) mush since college and lurking on SA online and FPS games don't seem to help much in that regard. :v:

Practice whatever specific things you want to be good at. What specific results are you looking for? Like, if you want to be able to do maths in your head, practice maths. If you want to be able to solve puzzles quickly, do a lot of puzzles.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Practice whatever specific things you want to be good at. What specific results are you looking for? Like, if you want to be able to do maths in your head, practice maths. If you want to be able to solve puzzles quickly, do a lot of puzzles.

And if you play a lot of lumosity you will notice that you become really adept at uh playing lumosity.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Real Name Grover posted:

Anyone have a good, cheap idea how to make a pair of Archer's night vision goggles for Halloween?

The glasses are the hard part, I suppose. I can just paint the lenses green and not give a poo poo about seeing through them.

Welding goggles, (like these http://m.ebay.com/itm/171063357732?nav=SEARCH ) switch out the lenses for green plastic like the other posters were saying. A good gray paint on the outside after masking off the front section, and you can tilt the lenses up so you can actually see, if youre too hammered

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 28, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

syscall girl posted:

And if you play a lot of lumosity you will notice that you become really adept at uh playing lumosity.

The YouTube ads for that site are the best. Those people just sound so dumb. "I take care of my body, but it's harder to work out your brain!" "It's serious brain training, it just feels like games." :haw:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there just a study that said Halo was better for your brain than Lumosity?

Vvvv that's it, thank you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 28, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wasn't there just a study that said Halo was better for your brain than Lumosity?

Yeah but it was Portal.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

DNova posted:

Yeah but it was Portal.

However, the participants had to play Luminosity 3 hours straight weekly, when it says 30 min sessions are the best. I'd imagine 3 hours of Luminosity would turn you off brain training forever. Still showed some positive effects for playing Portal thought.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
While we're on the topic of puzzle games, if you like them and haven't played Braid yet, do it. Its so simple yet very complex in spots (fickle companion was the toughest for me).

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Powered Descent posted:

So when a credit (usually the last one) says something like "and [ACTOR] as [CHARACTER], is that just a way of throwing a bone to the actor? Making their credit a bit more memorable?

You pretty much got it:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/03/opening-credits-sequence-naming.html

It was also used historically when actors played characters in heavy makeup (Boris Karloff as Frankenstein!) where they might not have been recognized otherwise.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Real Name Grover posted:

You can probably easily get translucent green plastic wrap at a supermarket or crafts store. Then just stretch and tape/glue the plastic wrap over the lenses and trim the excess.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Not sure how cheap it would be and if it would be the right size, but you could glue two skate wheels for the frame.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
If you're still looking for color, I saw this clear cellophane at Michael's.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
E: NVM

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I would like to learn to sing this song, phonetically, and to also know the chords for guitar. Where should I even start?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGqexvEtrBo

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I run a small business. Each year for Christmas, I give each client a gift with my logo on it. Usually nice stuff, we've done really nice messenger bags, backpacks, jackets, etc.

The stuff that the screenprint/embroidery places sell is all crap - it's all done with the thought in mind of making their product cost $0.02 less than their competitors product. Because of this, I usually buy stuff from outside and take it to my local embroidery guy. Last year we got a nice laptop bag from ebags.

I'm looking for robes this year. Nice ones. Something that would sell in a store for $40-$50. I would like to pick them up for $25 or so. Amazon has a few but I think quality will be lacking. Quantity wise, I need 30-40 or so. I am looking for a place that might cut me a deal on that kind of quantity. Any suggestions on where to look?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Very Strange Things posted:

I would like to learn to sing this song, phonetically, and to also know the chords for guitar. Where should I even start?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGqexvEtrBo
not sure how accurate this is...
http://chordify.net/chords/white-eagle-how-delightful-evening-in-russia-russian-music-namusicity

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Well, that's certainly a good loving start. Thanks! I just plugged this kid's guitar cover in and I can probably get a really good jump on it from there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahV96FjazDA&t=51s
http://chordify.net/chords/-1akirasan1

Is there a phoneticify.com?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

photomikey posted:

I run a small business. Each year for Christmas, I give each client a gift with my logo on it. Usually nice stuff, we've done really nice messenger bags, backpacks, jackets, etc.

The stuff that the screenprint/embroidery places sell is all crap - it's all done with the thought in mind of making their product cost $0.02 less than their competitors product. Because of this, I usually buy stuff from outside and take it to my local embroidery guy. Last year we got a nice laptop bag from ebags.

I'm looking for robes this year. Nice ones. Something that would sell in a store for $40-$50. I would like to pick them up for $25 or so. Amazon has a few but I think quality will be lacking. Quantity wise, I need 30-40 or so. I am looking for a place that might cut me a deal on that kind of quantity. Any suggestions on where to look?

Innstyle.com sells to bed and breakfasts/small hotels. Most of the spas and hot tub places here use Port Authority robes embroidered with logos, and a quick Google shows a few wholesalers.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do credit cards and secured credit cards work?

If I put 1k security deposit into a secure card, and then make a 1k purchas. Will I build credit buy paying it off at the end of the month? Will I build more or less if I pay it off slowly over 5 months. Which one is preferable? Can you "pay things off" with a secure card?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

How do credit cards and secured credit cards work?

If I put 1k security deposit into a secure card, and then make a 1k purchas. Will I build credit buy paying it off at the end of the month? Will I build more or less if I pay it off slowly over 5 months. Which one is preferable? Can you "pay things off" with a secure card?

You do not need to pay things off slowly to build credit. You don't even really need to use a credit account to build credit. The credit limit (which affects your total credit usage) and the account's age are the primary factors, excluding things like missed payments and defaults, which you should not allow to happen.

Don't bother with secured cards. Get a regular credit card with no annual fees. Use it if you want, but pay it off in full every month whenever you can.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

You do not need to pay things off slowly to build credit. You don't even really need to use a credit account to build credit. The credit limit (which affects your total credit usage) and the account's age are the primary factors, excluding things like missed payments and defaults, which you should not allow to happen.

Don't bother with secured cards. Get a regular credit card with no annual fees. Use it if you want, but pay it off in full every month whenever you can.
Not everyone has enough credit to get a regular credit card with no annual fees.

And if you can't, get a secured card, pay it off every month. Also, if you can, get bills put in your name (cell phone, electric, water, etc.).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Not everyone has enough credit to get a regular credit card with no annual fees.

You may be right but I am skeptical. I think any person with no credit can still get an unsecured no annual fee card. If you have bad credit then it might be more of a battle.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
What things should someone look for when choosing between a High Deductible healthcare plan and a regular healthcare plan if they plan on getting pregnant?

What things should someone look for in a healthcare plan if they plan on getting pregnant?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DNova posted:

You may be right but I am skeptical. I think any person with no credit can still get an unsecured no annual fee card. If you have bad credit then it might be more of a battle.

I am a "Very High Risk." So I literally can not, and every time I'm denied my credit sinks even lower.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I am a "Very High Risk." So I literally can not, and every time I'm denied my credit sinks even lower.

Then Thanatosian's post is 100% applicable. Get utilities in your name, obtain and use a secured card responsibly. Still, there is no need to carry a monthly balance on the card to improve your credit. You can use it and pay it off monthly and have the same effect.

What you want to do is get your score up to the point where you can get unsecured card(s), and get them. Abandon your secured card when you have a couple of 6+ month old unsecured credit cards. Do not get any card that charges an annual fee unless you really, really have no other choice.

You want: aging credit accounts with as much total credit limit as possible with low utilization (e.g. $5,000 total credit limit and you use $200 of that and pay it off every month).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

Please tell us why. :allears:

I mean I had like 1.1x my income in debt for like four years and my credit is almost excellent and was very good the whole time. I don't really get what you have to do to get bad credit, though it seems very common.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tuyop posted:

Please tell us why. :allears:

I mean I had like 1.1x my income in debt for like four years and my credit is almost excellent and was very good the whole time. I don't really get what you have to do to get bad credit, though it seems very common.

Capital One gave me a credit card with a $300 balance, I was using at the time, so I maxed it out pretty quick. I got clean since then, but had forgotten about the card. I've tried to reach out to Capital One both via letter and E-mail to try and pay off the balance but they won't get back to me. So I"ve had 300$ worth of debt for 3 years with no income. The last few jobs I worked gave me a paper stub and I would cash them at a check cashing place.

I've only recently been paying attention to my credit and similar things. Now that I'm making close to 40k a year, I feel like it's a good time to do some credit fixin's

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

Capital One gave me a credit card with a $300 balance, I was using at the time, so I maxed it out pretty quick. I got clean since then, but had forgotten about the card. I've tried to reach out to Capital One both via letter and E-mail to try and pay off the balance but they won't get back to me. So I"ve had 300$ worth of debt for 3 years with no income. The last few jobs I worked gave me a paper stub and I would cash them at a check cashing place.

The bad news is that it's not $300 anymore. After fees and interest, I wouldn't be surprised to see it now recorded at a thousand or so, and maybe more. It's most likely been sold to a debt collector though, and the good news is that means you might be able to settle the account with them for the original amount owed. The bad news is that your credit won't really be good again for years most likely.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got $11 & change left on my flex medical card. If I were to go to a Walgreens or someplace and pick up some bandages, can I split the charges across my flex card & a standard debit card to max out the flex card?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

baquerd posted:

The bad news is that it's not $300 anymore. After fees and interest, I wouldn't be surprised to see it now recorded at a thousand or so, and maybe more. It's most likely been sold to a debt collector though, and the good news is that means you might be able to settle the account with them for the original amount owed. The bad news is that your credit won't really be good again for years most likely.

Right but what do I do when I can't contact the debt collector, and they don't try to collect?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

Right but what do I do when I can't contact the debt collector, and they don't try to collect?

Pull your credit report, there should be creditor contact details on there.

I'd recommend creditkarma.com for ease of use. They now give you your entire credit report for free, updated every week, as well as an updating credit score. In return, you have to deal with them advertising credit cards and the like to you when you visit their site.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've got $11 & change left on my flex medical card. If I were to go to a Walgreens or someplace and pick up some bandages, can I split the charges across my flex card & a standard debit card to max out the flex card?

You should be able to do this, yes. In fact, what should happen is that you pay with the flex card and it will automatically max out and the cashier will tell you that you have $X remaining to pay.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know nothing about sports, but won several Notre Dame football tickets and am trying to sell them. I have absolutely no idea how to do this. Three questions about how to sell tickets:

1. Stubhub's cut is a ridiculous 25% At least that seems ridiculous to me. Some co-workers told me to bite the bullet and use them. Should I? If not, what are my other options?

Here's a map of Notre Dame's football stadium for reference for the next question:

2. My tickets are in section 108. The cheapest tickets on Stubhub for this section are $324. Right next to it is section 109, and right below it sections 7/8. Cheapest tickets in section 109 are $210, and in sections 7/8 are $200. Is there a reason that section 108 is so much more expensive? What sections should I be looking at when I decide what to list these at?

3. Let's say I completely screw up and still have these tickets on game day. Notre Dame is close enough I can just go to the Stadium and try to sell them. How does that work, and what should I ask for them?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I've only recently been paying attention to my credit and similar things. Now that I'm making close to 40k a year, I feel like it's a good time to do some credit fixin's
You are talking as if you have OMG it's the end of the world bad credit. If you have one $300 write off, you don't have a subterranean credit score. I mean, you walked away from $300 worth of debt but people rack up $20k and walk away and then buy a house a year or two later.

Go get yourself a secured card. Use it occasionally, then get yourself an unsecured card. You'll be in the 600s within a year.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chuu posted:

Here's a map of Notre Dame's football stadium for reference for the next question:

2. My tickets are in section 108. The cheapest tickets on Stubhub for this section are $324. Right next to it is section 109, and right below it sections 7/8. Cheapest tickets in section 109 are $210, and in sections 7/8 are $200. Is there a reason that section 108 is so much more expensive? What sections should I be looking at when I decide what to list these at?

This probably just indicates that the more expensive section currently has more tickets already bought.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Did the Spice Girls actually cover that Christmas song or is this another Kazaa labeling situation

Chuu posted:

I know nothing about sports, but won several Notre Dame football tickets and am trying to sell them. I have absolutely no idea how to do this. Three questions about how to sell tickets:

1. Stubhub's cut is a ridiculous 25% At least that seems ridiculous to me. Some co-workers told me to bite the bullet and use them. Should I? If not, what are my other options?

It's not ridiculous. It's the fastest, easiest way to sell.

quote:

3. Let's say I completely screw up and still have these tickets on game day. Notre Dame is close enough I can just go to the Stadium and try to sell them. How does that work, and what should I ask for them?

First you'd better check into what's legal there, this very widely varies. Your easiest option is to find one of those dudes with the I NEED TICKETS placard and haggle (they will probably take a bigger cut than 25%).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

photomikey posted:

You are talking as if you have OMG it's the end of the world bad credit. If you have one $300 write off, you don't have a subterranean credit score. I mean, you walked away from $300 worth of debt but people rack up $20k and walk away and then buy a house a year or two later.

Go get yourself a secured card. Use it occasionally, then get yourself an unsecured card. You'll be in the 600s within a year.

I thought I was at the bottom, does it go lower then 590 then?