Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ANAmal.net posted:

Broken Loose will always and forever own because of that Wu Tang Kabuki video he made.

say what?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

If old smash was back but couldn't be used against walkers it'd be perfect.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

raverrn posted:

They'd need to at least keep current Smash against Walkers, though. Otherwise a lot of MCs just couldn't scratch a Furioso in close combat.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

SRM posted:

My favorite was one of the "banter batreps" I think, and the guy kept making bad jokes and looking at the other guy and he just looked really confused then the camera would pan over to these two 12-14 year old kids in the corner who just look like they don't want to be there.

You can't say that and not post a link :v:

SRM posted:

If you want battle reports on Youtube, Striking Scorpion 82 is the guy to go to. He doesn't try to be funny, he just has really beautiful armies on really beautiful tables and doesn't tell you much more than he needs to. The production quality is really good, with music and slides inbetween shots saying what's going on.

This guy is awesome. Plus, painting guides are always helpful (I was a fan of Apathetic fish).

Random question: Are thousand sons able to move and shoot their bolters up to maximum range?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

WAR FOOT posted:

They'd need to at least keep current Smash against Walkers, though. Otherwise a lot of MCs just couldn't scratch a Furioso in close combat.

Who cares? A lot of MC also don't die to one Meltagun.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

raverrn posted:

But then they would be not good against knights, although it makes sense for a walker being able to brace for impact more than a tank.

7th edition note: As a guard player who likes to bunker down in tall buildings, I really don't like how template weapons affect all floors now. It's taken me three games to learn this lesson because I'm dumb, and losing fistfuls of guys doesn't register as a reason to not do things. gently caress you Heldrakes (ever single time!).

not lame! posted:

Random question: Are thousand sons able to move and shoot their bolters up to maximum range?

Yeah they can, everyone can fire rapid fire up to their max range while moving. You just can't charge unless you're relentless.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Everyone can move and fire rapid-fire weapons at full range now, that was a 6th edition change.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

He used disks, I can't remember the size, but I'll ask him to check the thread.

I'm doing a Lucius and I just have no idea what is actually strong enough to hold it, the local shops don't stock large magnets and just getting something off eBay is kind of a roll of the proverbial dice. So that would be cool to know what he used, thanks.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Cooked Auto posted:

Ooh, now that sounds like an excellent suggestion. What would you suggest for wash for the rest of the commander by the way? I take it Nuln Oil is the normal black wash as well?

Yeah, nuln oil is the black wash. As for any sort of shading or weathering for the coat or armor, I never really got around to it on my DKoK models. My original idea was to use grey and white weathering powders, but never finished them.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
KJ magnetics has magnets powerful enough to crush your hand.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Reynold posted:

Yeah, nuln oil is the black wash. As for any sort of shading or weathering for the coat or armor, I never really got around to it on my DKoK models. My original idea was to use grey and white weathering powders, but never finished them.

Ah ok. Don't got the weather powders so that won't be a thing I'll really be doing in this case. Guess I'll leave the coat unwashed for the time being.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

I'm doing a Lucius and I just have no idea what is actually strong enough to hold it, the local shops don't stock large magnets and just getting something off eBay is kind of a roll of the proverbial dice. So that would be cool to know what he used, thanks.

I'm pretty sure he got them from KJ magnetics. I remember him showing them to me. Pretty sure he glued the shoulders into place with pins, but for the gun he just put a magnet on either side. Basically just grab the Lucius and look at the joint you want magnetized. Find a good spot to drill into that's deep and of large size and match it to a disk shaped magnet on the KJs website.

If you want posable arms you'll need to replace the ball joints with metal ones and use stronger magnets in the sockets. You can even use several at different angles.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm pretty sure he got them from KJ magnetics. I remember him showing them to me. Pretty sure he glued the shoulders into place with pins, but for the gun he just put a magnet on either side. Basically just grab the Lucius and look at the joint you want magnetized. Find a good spot to drill into that's deep and of large size and match it to a disk shaped magnet on the KJs website.

If you want posable arms you'll need to replace the ball joints with metal ones and use stronger magnets in the sockets. You can even use several at different angles.

Shoulders are part of the body on the Lucius, it's like a 1/4 inch between the bottom of the socket and the top of the shoulder, so I was thinking about getting two sizes, one to fit in the original socket, and the other to cover where it would originally attach to the arm, which is just a bit bigger. Think it would work?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

KJ magnetics has magnets powerful enough to crush your hand.

use these while snorting fibreglass snow because gently caress it, ham hard or go home

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

Shoulders are part of the body on the Lucius, it's like a 1/4 inch between the bottom of the socket and the top of the shoulder, so I was thinking about getting two sizes, one to fit in the original socket, and the other to cover where it would originally attach to the arm, which is just a bit bigger. Think it would work?

You bet. But magnets hold better than glue, so whatever you do you want to maximize surface area between resin + glue + magnet. No matter the size of magnet you use, you should drill into the resin and then fit the flush magment into the hole. So look for a magnet that is just a bit smaller than the space you have, but is of a common enough drill bit size you can buy in a store.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
If you can, you want resin between a magnet and whatever it's going to pull (which could be another magnet or just something magnetic). The top covers of the shoulders are a good place for this sort of thing as you could hide a thin but wide disc magnet underneath them.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

raverrn posted:

Who cares? A lot of MC also don't die to one Meltagun.

There's a difference between one meltagun flubbing a shot and a MC being locked in combat with something it cannot hurt because 99% of MCs are Fearless and can't choose to bail.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
a furioso will probably just kick the loving poo poo out of the mc anyway so why does it matter

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

You bet. But magnets hold better than glue, so whatever you do you want to maximize surface area between resin + glue + magnet. No matter the size of magnet you use, you should drill into the resin and then fit the flush magment into the hole. So look for a magnet that is just a bit smaller than the space you have, but is of a common enough drill bit size you can buy in a store.

is the piece, there is next to no resin between the end of that socket, and the top of the shoulder armor, so im a bit worried about going through it/ it being too thin.

My idea is to get a magnet that fits in the socket, then shave off the one on the arm (seen right) and have a disc cover that entire piece for maximum glue coverage.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That'll work really well! Find a disk that fits into that hole and save the drilling for the elbow joint part.

Also I am surprised LingcodKilla isn't here right now. He is basically king of magnets and magnet accessories.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Master Twig posted:

I wouldn't call knights invincible and undercosted. I used to, then I actually played against them and they're really not that bad. Last game I played my knight died before I even had a turn thanks to some deep striking stern-guard.

They're good, but I would not call them broken.

The problem is that a lot of armies don't really have good ways to deal with them and the FW releases plus the Adamantine Lance formation (which gives three of the basic versions of the Knights the ability to reroll failed assaults, Ion Shield saves, and gives them d3 Hammer of Wrath hits) can make them rather brutal to deal with. For armies like Orks, Daemons, etc, they have very few options available to them and the new additions really push things over the top, as Knights are fast enough that if you don't do significant damage to them on turns 1/2, they are just going to assault your army and ruin you in short order.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

a furioso will probably just kick the loving poo poo out of the mc anyway so why does it matter

Yeah, Tyranids really do need another nerf. This is a good idea. Also, let's make it so that units of Fearless infantry aren't allowed to run (because Running is basically the same as Falling back, but in the opposite direction) and make it so that failed saves against AP- weapons can be rerolled (because obviously those guns are really weak.)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Or you could read between the lines and realize a Furioso isn't really 'locking' MCs in combat so much as it is just loving killing them and if your monstrous creature is incapable of damaging the space wizard casket robot you should position your toys in a way that the invalid sage inside cannot use his robo arms to beat up your lovely nerd creature and maybe use it to attack other things.

Like no one is plopping down Dreadnoughts and spending 3 turns getting them into position just to mildly inconvenience an MC. The exigent scenario of 'something your MC cannot hurt is locked in assault with it' comes down to you making a bad decision wrt unit positioning and it's not Fearless not allowing you to Our Weapons are Useless that made you gently caress up.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 30, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, the white dwarf has the toxi-whats-it being screened by hormagants that do not cover 25% of the model. Turns out that ANY intervening models will grant a cover save. It give the toxi-whats-it a 3+ cover save which is pretty decent.
I've always been plays monsters still needed the 25% cover.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
That one is actually a bit awkward, but if the models aren't tall enough to grant 25% obscurement, you won't get the intervening models cover save.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Or you could read between the lines and realize a Furioso isn't really 'locking' MCs in combat so much as it is just loving killing them and if your monstrous creature is incapable of damaging the space wizard casket robot you should position your toys in a way that the invalid sage inside cannot use his robo arms to beat up your lovely nerd creature and maybe use it to attack other things.

Like no one is plopping down Dreadnoughts and spending 3 turns getting them into position just to mildly inconvenience an MC. The exigent scenario of 'something your MC cannot hurt is locked in assault with it' comes down to you making a bad decision wrt unit positioning and it's not Fearless not allowing you to Our Weapons are Useless that made you gently caress up.

It's just odd that last edition, MCs were pretty decent against walkers and vehicles, and two editions ago they would absolutely murder any vehicle. Now, they are pretty useless against all the close combat walkers. Sure, they'll do well against stuff like sentinels and war walkers, but the ability of an MC to damage vehicles has been drastically reduced.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

At the risk of being too Vermilisitudey.

I think Monsterous Creatures slugging it out with Dreadnoughts is badass as gently caress, and should happen lots.

Now I sort of skirt my MCs away from dreads because it's a bad combat. Why engage in cool combat when they can pick on a tac squad?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Master Twig posted:

It's just odd that last edition, MCs were pretty decent against walkers and vehicles, and two editions ago they would absolutely murder any vehicle. Now, they are pretty useless against all the close combat walkers. Sure, they'll do well against stuff like sentinels and war walkers, but the ability of an MC to damage vehicles has been drastically reduced.

But the ability of everything to damage vehicles has been drastically reduced over the past few editions. Take a peek at the 4th and 5th ed vehicle damage charts.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Cataphract posted:

But the ability of everything to damage vehicles has been drastically reduced over the past few editions. Take a peek at the 4th and 5th ed vehicle damage charts.

Though penetrating hits are certainly less likely to kill than they used to be, back then, glances didn't strip hull points. You couldn't kill a vehicle with just three glancing hits like you can now. Sure, you COULD if the vehicle was open topped or the weapon was AP1, but from 5th, I'd say vehicles are less resiliant than they used to be, except against MCs.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AbusePuppy posted:

That one is actually a bit awkward, but if the models aren't tall enough to grant 25% obscurement, you won't get the intervening models cover save.

The rules state "the target is in cover, even if [the model] is completely visible to the firer". Unless I'm missing something something specific?

EDIT: Eh, either way that's what gargoyles are for. Though now I'm tempted to make a toxic based list: toxi-whats-its, venomthropes, and malenthropes, oh my!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 30, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Few things were more frustrating than shooting at Grey Knight Razorbacks in 5th edition.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Smash in 6th was a good idea, but it was too easy of a decision to trade out 3-4 S5 or S6 attacks for 2 S10 with re-rolls against armor. This carried the probably unintended consequence of most monstrous creatures being really good at instantly killing characters. The current rule is a more limiting iteration and I'm actually pretty happy about the changes in 7th. Walkers are frequently depicted as being able to go toe-to-toe with monstrous creatures and it's nice to see that finally reflected in the rules. Monstrous creatures were hilariously good can openers for a long, long time and any combat against a walker was already decided, especially back when they all had 2d6 armor penetration. There are still a bunch of S10 monstrous creatures in the game which walkers would want to avoid, but a dreadnought would stand a chance against the others. Especially against poor Tyranids where almost everything is S6. :v:

Keep in mind that I'm a big, dumb idiot so everything above is probably garbage. I don't actually bother taking close combat dreadnoughts anymore, but I like the thought that they'd finally be able to accomplish something.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BULBASAUR posted:

That'll work really well! Find a disk that fits into that hole and save the drilling for the elbow joint part.

Also I am surprised LingcodKilla isn't here right now. He is basically king of magnets and magnet accessories.

Thanks for the nod. I've done a ton of vehicles and infantry but I haven't tackled anything as big as a Titan. At least we have wide spread access to them these days. I spent some serious cash magnetizing my 3rd ed marines from the box set. On my old metal dreads I pinned and magged them to stop the droop.
Kinda want to buy a war hound now...

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Safety Factor posted:

Especially against poor Tyranids where almost everything is S6. :v:

On the other hand, the good old carnifex is still one of the best can openers in the game, especially when you give them crushing claws.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Just bought 40 terminators and a land raider on Ebay for $70 + shipping.

I can't decide if I will try to flip them (original idea) or just make...a second Deathwing army? Can Space Wolves do all terminator wolf guard lists? Maybe convert them all to Chaos, is there an all-Chaos terminator list?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If by "all terminator" you mean "all terminators with a couple nominal 5 man squads of Scouts or Cultists" then yeah, all Marines can do that now. If you want to be cool just take an unbound army that's made up of a rainbow coalition of Terminators from every chapter and creed.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Direwolf posted:

Just bought 40 terminators and a land raider on Ebay for $70 + shipping.

I can't decide if I will try to flip them (original idea) or just make...a second Deathwing army? Can Space Wolves do all terminator wolf guard lists? Maybe convert them all to Chaos, is there an all-Chaos terminator list?

Is Logan-wing still a thing?

Unbound Death Guard Termies would be loving rad.
Unbound deep striking Night Lords Termies for maximum terror would be my vote. (I just really loved those novels.)

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

Sir Teabag posted:

Unbound Death Guard Termies would be loving rad.
Unbound deep striking Night Lords Termies for maximum terror would be my vote. (I just really loved those novels.)

I don't think it ever was really a thing, like competetive or serious-play wise. But be damned if it isn't fun as hell to run around with 10-20 models in a 2k game.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Sir Teabag posted:

Not really. All the force org changing is gone in 7E Codices. Instead, you get detachments and formations. But you can go unbound.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Champions of Fenris detachment essentially swaps the elite and troop slots, allowing all Wolf Guard Terminator lists. They also have a few all Terminator Formations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The Champions of Fenris detachment essentially swaps the elite and troop slots, allowing all Wolf Guard Terminator lists. They also have a few all Terminator Formations.

Cool, I figured there was some official stuff that would let you do something similar, but I haven't had the opportunity to read the supplement.

• Locked thread