Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Why is Sproggiwood 15€, even goons rip off people on steam when it comes to currency conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GarethIW
Feb 25, 2003

The internet destroyed me, but I forgave it

neongrey posted:

I made a twine about petting cats. :shobon:

Oh my this was super cute and so realistically detailed. Great writing. I, too, scored 12 :)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I literally wrote it by petting the cat I wrote the game about, then writing down her reactions. :3:

Best research ever.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Thanks a lot for the replies about AI. Looks like I've got a lot of options.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

neongrey posted:

I literally wrote it by petting the cat I wrote the game about, then writing down her reactions. :3:

Best research ever.

That is ridiculously cute

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

FrickenMoron posted:

Why is Sproggiwood 15€, even goons rip off people on steam when it comes to currency conversion.

You just set the price in USD, and steam decides what all the non-US currency prices are. Same thing on iOS store.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

unlurked posted:

Nice! If you keep using it you will soon want to do everything with it. And I for one welcome your upholding of the noble tradition of penis spaceships. Goonspeed my friend :patriot:

Yeah, I actually realized a little bit into it that I had messed with cocos2d in python years ago, but ultimately stuck to pygame instead. What's your game written in, c++? Am I reading this right that I can actually develop a native app in javascript somehow?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

aerique posted:

You might want to check out Spelunkbots API which has a C++ API so one might potentially use any language that talks to C easily through a wrapper.

I've always been very fond of the "Google" AI Challenges and competitions akin to that because they used a very simple communications protocol allowing one to use almost any programming language (as long as it ran on Ubuntu). I still have fond memories of the Planet Wars competition.

A similar competition was earlier this year, which was good fun: https://helloworldopen.com/

I'm still interested in participating and maybe running (too little time for that though) a multiplayer Asteroids AI competition in the vein of the Google AI competitions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqfH5J18C30 & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VeWz24_VHk

You could also just starting writing bots for Quake, Unreal or Half-Life and if you're lucky you've got friends or people on the forums here whom you can swap bots with.

There used to be the AI Sandbox competition which might be the closest to your idea of the arena, but it went commercial.

A problem with a lot of AI Game / Competition Frameworks is they usually fix you into a certain language used by the implementor, usually C++, C# or Java. If you google for "ai competition game" you'll get a lot of hits. Here's a minor list of things I have looked at:

That's an extremely awesome post. I've always fantasized about making a game where you program a couple bots to play what is essentially team air hockey. Make a bunch unlockable visual scripting blocks, and even include blocks with triggers to give some element of control like switching behaviors. I'm a long ways off being able to but it would be fun.

unlurked
Jan 20, 2006

Set phasers to HURT!

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, I actually realized a little bit into it that I had messed with cocos2d in python years ago, but ultimately stuck to pygame instead. What's your game written in, c++? Am I reading this right that I can actually develop a native app in javascript somehow?

Yeah we are 98% C++ (plus a 2% of Scheme because I'm a huge weirdo).

Cocos2d-x started as a pure C++ version of the classic Python/ObjectiveC cocos2d, then it gained Lua scripting support, then Javascript bindings. What they have done lately is produce a pure JS version, Cocos2d-html5, which is the one you used, that has the same API as the Javascript bindings in the C++ version. So if all of your Javascript code only ever calls the Cocos2d JS API and does not depend on a browser environment (direct calls to canvas2d, DOM access, an HTML GUI) then your JS code can be packaged as a native app and run in the C++ environment, with little to no C++ code. This means iOS apps, Android apps, desktop apps, etc. All while maintaining HTML5 compatibility.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Unormal posted:

You just set the price in USD, and steam decides what all the non-US currency prices are. Same thing on iOS store.
Technically, you can set the per-region prices on iOS (and I assume somewhere in Steam), BUT, this is a really bad idea as a small dev. iOS/Steam track relative currency values and shift things constantly, whereas if you peg your prices manually, YOU have to track all of that constantly. It does mean you get that odd case where Steam's currency conversion is bonkers, but the alternative is to have every single non-US price end up bonkers.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Got click-to-move pathing working in a mesh environment. If a direct route cannot be found (by ray-cast) then A* is used within a node-graph. The nodes are dropped onto the world at X unit intervals and connected with some basic constraints for maximum slope. The resulting path is smoothed slightly and there's some basic physics on the character to accelerate at the start and decelerate on hills and near the end. From what I can see so far I'm pleased with the character motion but I really need to swap in a biped to be sure.

Fun parts of the work were things like:

* handling multiple stories properly by generating node points along a 'core sample', removing nodes that are sandwiched too tightly.

* running A* iteratively with a per-frame timeout

* realising that if you reject nodes using player collision checks at generation time then following any path doesn't require collision checking against the world at runtime (other than floor distance so it can pop up/down steps instead of sliding through).

* Adding "possibly blocked by a door" nodes by using a per-object 'pathing response' variable (the dark line at the back of the scene is a wooden panel door object) at node generation time and then a lookup table for the door id state at runtime. Then having the path cut short at the nearest door if that's the best route to get the agent at least close to the target.

* I also made it so it'll follow the current path while it's working on the next one and handle the cases of either a slight direction change without necessarily slowing down, or handling a 180 with a worst case of redoing the A* if the agent is no-where near to any part of the new path.

I'm currently planning on making a tactical shooter of some kind, fun ahead is replacing the green thing with an actual character and from an AI perspective having some kind of higher level understanding of a location/situation to make use of the pathing.

Unormal posted:

Appreciate you sharing this, I didn't know. Some people (myself included) might expect the developer to have the option of precise control over regional prices like on Google Play.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

neongrey posted:

This may be the most adorable game I've ever played.

I couldn't bring myself to risk the tummy rub though. My own cat just hates that regardless of who's doing it, when, or how. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some cats hate it, the rest love it. You'll never know until you try. :colbert:

And you should try it, at least so you can find out which type of cat it is.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Dear thread, [TELL] me how the Humble Widget works if you aren't on the Humble Store and presumably need to host poo poo yourself.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

Dear thread, [TELL] me how the Humble Widget works if you aren't on the Humble Store and presumably need to host poo poo yourself.
The same way. Having a Humble Widget vs being on the Humble Store is irrelevant as far as the dev is concerned. My metrics just show me the Humble Store sales separate from the Widget sales, and done.

(you apply for a Widget, you get in, you fill out the form, you copy an embed code and dump it on your site, done - you host nothing yourself)

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Do you have any questions not answered by their FAQ?

You'll need a website to put the widget on, but the game downloads are handled by Humble.

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012

neongrey posted:

I risked the tummy rub. Worth it.
This is super cute, and works really well as a text adventure.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Dog version plz

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Provide research dog and we will talk.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That cat petting game made me really sad, because I miss my cat now.

Well written game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

neongrey posted:

Going to pet a cat the moment I get home.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Chronojam posted:

Going to pet a cat the moment I get home.

(seriously though, the cat petting game is AWESOME)

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I'm in love with Cat Petting Simulator 2014. I'm away from my cat all this week and I'm really starting to miss her a lot..! This helps :3:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Nice!

Yeah I saw your tweet about that. With Drive to Hell we went like five months without testing mobile and thankfully when we went back it it the game just worked. Felt good man.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

Nice!

Yeah I saw your tweet about that. With Drive to Hell we went like five months without testing mobile and thankfully when we went back it it the game just worked. Felt good man.

Yeah, I haven't messed with it for months. I had to disable my metrics package, I dorked something in the like 6-8 months since I last tried it, but after I did that just booted right up!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Thanks so much, everyone. I was worried it'd be too short or too long or too detailed or not detailed enough, but it seems like I really Goldilocksed it, by the way people are reacting. :shobon:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

neongrey posted:

Thanks so much, everyone. I was worried it'd be too short or too long or too detailed or not detailed enough, but it seems like I really Goldilocksed it, by the way people are reacting. :shobon:
I quit before the end, but I was satisfied with my virtual cat petting. A+, would pet the cat again.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:peanut:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I was told this would be a better fit in this thread, so here goes.

I'm really loving tired with how long (and how fruitless) the game development phase is. Some time ago, this very forum sold me on a game that was in Development hell for quite some time, for long stretches we'd here NOTHING about it nor would we even get the slightest update, and when it finally did come out did i get the amazing game that the forums AND THE MODS promised me? NO, i got a retarded piece of poo poo that calls itself a "Game" filled with nothing but sexist jokes, toilet humor, and none of the charm from the original games. Plus come to find out, the very mod who shilled for it liked to draw women being turned into toilets, what a loving freak.

Thanks games, Fifty dollars well loving spent, and i hope gamedevs legitimately get shoved in lockers for the rest of their life. and to the former mod, you can go gently caress yourself, you know who you are. :argh:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Rrussom posted:

I'm really loving tired with how long (and how fruitless) the game development phase is. Some time ago, this very forum sold me on a game that was in Development hell for quite some time, for long stretches we'd here NOTHING about it nor would we even get the slightest update, and when it finally did come out did i get the amazing game that the forums AND THE MODS promised me? NO, i got a retarded piece of poo poo that calls itself a "Game" filled with nothing but sexist jokes, toilet humor, and none of the charm from the original games. Plus come to find out, the very mod who shilled for it liked to draw women being turned into toilets, what a loving freak.

Thanks games, Fifty dollars well loving spent, and i hope gamedevs legitimately get shoved in lockers for the rest of their life. and to the former mod, you can go gently caress yourself, you know who you are. :argh:

..Duke Nukem forever?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Rrussom posted:

Jokes on you, we're all millionaires and we just make games to piss people off for fun.

Edit: Starpwned.

mutata fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 30, 2014

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

mutata posted:

Jokes on you, we're all millionaires and we just make games to piss people off for fun.

Edit: Starpwned.

Please do us all a favor and stop being a Chucklefuck.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Unormal posted:

Im pretty sure content creators can manually set their regional prices, at least the necrodancer dev told me that.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rrussom posted:

Please do us all a favor and stop being a Chucklefuck.

Everyone who has ever made a game does it to spite you I hope this helps

aerique
Jul 16, 2008
So, uhmm.. these pictures of women turning into toilets?

Anyway: https://github.com/SRombauts/UE4ProceduralMesh

Starting with UE4 and C++ never being my strong point I could never have done this myself :-(

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

E: I'm good at using a phone!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rrussom posted:

Eonwe or Braww?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shoehead posted:

Eonwe or Braww?

Couldn't be starbound is and was 15 at release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Turtlicious posted:

Couldn't be starbound is and was 15 at release

I spent 75 euros on it :sweatdrop:

It's a big part of my confidence with my work which ultimately led me here making doofy pixel games so I don't mind :3: