Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Has Nintendo ever run out of Wii U refurbs before? I'm wondering when or if I can expect them to restock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yes, a couple of times. There's no real way to know how long until they get some back due to repairs/returns.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm still wondering how Year of Luigi was a failure. All the games were top notch. Was Animal Crossing part of that financial year?

People need to own the console to purchase the games. E3 was a big change of momentum in terms of console sales. They have since cooled down, but that was a large number of people from this year who are buying that weren't around last year.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

JordanKai posted:

Didn't Smash Bros come out in September in Japan?

Yeah, September for Japan, October everywhere else.

Which still blows my mind that they had a profitable quarter with what they actually released within those 3 months.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Fremry posted:

People need to own the console to purchase the games. E3 was a big change of momentum in terms of console sales. They have since cooled down, but that was a large number of people from this year who are buying that weren't around last year.

It seemed to be the turning point of internet discussion from "LOL WII U" to "actually it's pretty cool"

Mario Kart helped a bunch too.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Shelf Adventure posted:

It seemed to be the turning point of internet discussion from "LOL WII U" to "actually it's pretty cool"

Mario Kart helped a bunch too.

Yeah, but the hard numbers show that the numbers were up significantly. Like 250% up from the year before. Those numbers aren't that high anymore, but we'll see how SSB and this holiday season fair.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Will there be a Year of Waluigi in our lifetimes?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

It's amazing that when you release a bunch of games that people actually want people will buy your system.

Unless you are Sony and Microsoft who are doing ok without any games I guess

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

noirstronaut posted:

Annoying rear end in a top hat for not liking Bayonetta and saying so.

*writes down notes*

Actually, you're an annoying rear end in a top hat regardless of your video game opinions.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
New tidbit of news that I thought may interest some people...

quote:

Recent News Tidbit 10/29: Developers from Curve Studios (releasing Stealth Inc. 2) just recently did an AMA on Reddit. You can find it here.

I'm pretty fond of interviews/talks with developers who have a clear head for game design, so this kind of stuff makes for a really cool read, to me.

also it's not a Wii U game but if you haven't already bought Spin Cycle you really should

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

PoshAlligator posted:

Seeing people talking about Hyrule Warriors I thought I'd just weigh in and say I really love it. For me it's one of the most solid games available on the Wii U currently, and I think it's part of the solid line up that the Wii U needs.

I wrote a full review just very recently if anyone is into reading it. http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/review-hyrule-warriors/

Still, I'm more of a Zelda fan than a Warriors fan, so I guess it could potentially be disappointing if you're a fan of the latter. I've never even played another Warriors game. I do have Dynasty Warriors 6, but my co-worker says it's the worst one.

When you hear Tokata's song that's when you know the Reaper is coming for you.

That website is offensively faux-Japanese but the review was well-written if not really in-depth. You did a good job summarizing some of the main aspects of the game, but I think you didn't have to repeat so often how you haven't played other Warriors games / don't know about Warriors / can't speak for Warriors fans, etc. Though as a side note, if you're having trouble with the giant bosses, you should know you can bait out their weak point exposing attacks by positioning yourself correctly (the guard button helps with that - yes, the game has a guard button). Also there's a surprising amount of undocumented depth to the game, including things like counter attacks and combo/attack variations.

It's great to see the Wii U doing well because there is a solid collection of awesome titles for it, and I want them to succeed so that we get more games like that. Hyrule Warriors really surprised me by being excellent, when before getting it I didn't know what to expect. I actually think there are a number of games like that on the Wii U, I'd count ZombiU too since it's not just a generic zombie shooter but is actually really great. It's neat to be pleasantly surprised by a game every once in a while.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Wasn't Costume Quest 2 supposed to be out on the Wii U already? Going to be kind of weird if they miss the month of October.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Bayo 2 came in today and I played through Ch. 1. This is everything I was hoping it would be. I'm glad Enzo came back, not enough games have stereotypical New Yorkers who work for hell. Oh, Bayonetta :allears:.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

katkillad2 posted:

Wasn't Costume Quest 2 supposed to be out on the Wii U already? Going to be kind of weird if they miss the month of October.

Tomorrow.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

According to this article, WiiU lifetime sales are at 7.29 million, and the attach rate is ~6. That owns.

I have like 12-15 retail games for the WiiU, not to mention the VC and eShop games!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Pomp posted:

Actually, you're an annoying rear end in a top hat regardless of your video game opinions.

This post is so old that I can only applaud for being so salty for more than a day. Good job, champ.

Anyway.

It looks like preloading is coming to the Wii U and 3DS soon.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921643

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Maybe they should have called Wii U the Ninelevendo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The shareholders meeting also has lists of games coming out next year, nothing new or anything, but it does confirm that SMT X FE is still a thing that's being made.

...and watching people sleep is something they want to do, and that would need cloud servers so that's an extra for the video game side of things??? http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/141030/06.html

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 30, 2014

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Browsing Amazon and got trolled.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KWFCU4M/

I assume that's a placeholder date.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

BabyRyoga posted:

Browsing Amazon and got trolled.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KWFCU4M/

I assume that's a placeholder date.

It is.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I want to see a game released on new years eve

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Fully translated notes for the financial briefing have been posted: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/141030/index.html

From what I've skimmed, it's nothing new (other than the aforementioned QoL info and preloading). Mostly just what you'd expect from this kind of thing.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I take back everything bad i was saying about this console and the problems i was having with it. Moved it down a shelf on my TV unit and it works fine now.

MK8 alone is worth the price of admission. Sat down at 11 yesterday morning to "try out my games", started with MK8 and was still playing it at midnight. NSMB and 3D World haven't even been started up yet :D

This console loving rules. Nintendo rule.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Yesterday you could not pre-order this Wii U Earthbound product. Today you can. Anyone know what's up with this? Is it a thing?

Earthbound (Nintendo Wii U) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CEUQ9Y0/

CatsPajamas posted:

That website is offensively faux-Japanese but the review was well-written if not really in-depth. You did a good job summarizing some of the main aspects of the game, but I think you didn't have to repeat so often how you haven't played other Warriors games / don't know about Warriors / can't speak for Warriors fans, etc. Though as a side note, if you're having trouble with the giant bosses, you should know you can bait out their weak point exposing attacks by positioning yourself correctly (the guard button helps with that - yes, the game has a guard button). Also there's a surprising amount of undocumented depth to the game, including things like counter attacks and combo/attack variations.

It's great to see the Wii U doing well because there is a solid collection of awesome titles for it, and I want them to succeed so that we get more games like that. Hyrule Warriors really surprised me by being excellent, when before getting it I didn't know what to expect. I actually think there are a number of games like that on the Wii U, I'd count ZombiU too since it's not just a generic zombie shooter but is actually really great. It's neat to be pleasantly surprised by a game every once in a while.

Thanks. Not being familiar with Warriors did make me feel a little bit like I was wearing horseblinders, though my coworker was luckily happy to field my queries. I'd love to check out ZombiU sometime. I like the cute website mascots.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

PoshAlligator posted:

Yesterday you could not pre-order this Wii U Earthbound product. Today you can. Anyone know what's up with this? Is it a thing?

Earthbound (Nintendo Wii U) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CEUQ9Y0/

Nintendo announced in its finanical briefing that you'll be able to buy digital games on Amazon and activate them on your Wii U soon; I'm pretty sure this is the SNES game and the price is a placeholder. 44.99 GBP is the MSRP for most Wii U games in the UK.

Or it's just bogus.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

spudsbuckley posted:

Moved it down a shelf on my TV unit and it works fine now.
Yeah the Wii U is sort of weird like that. Where I used to live, the internet was on one side of the house and my room was son the other, with a concrete walled garage between the two, so the Wii U wouldn't pick up the internet connection anywhere in my room. Except at the very back of a specific shelf in my TV unit.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

katkillad2 posted:

Please don't give money to Double Fine

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

oddium posted:

Why is that?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Costume Quest won't have off-tv play, in case that's a dealbreaker for anyone.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

:effort:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Fremry posted:

Why is that?

If you don't know about the Spacebase DF-9 situation, this probably explains it better than I could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?j0zJF3KAI3w

Basically they released a promising early access title, made back a 400k loan in two weeks which they had taken out from some indie starter fund, released a handful of meager updates over the course of a year, then after a few months of nothing from the devs, they said, "Don't worry, Double Fine isn't some fly by night."

Very shortly after that they announced they wouldn't be developing it anymore because it wasn't making them money and jumped straight from alpha to 1.0

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Even NOE can't help themselves:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
That's amazing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

They pulled the same poo poo with their last eShop title, the Cave, which frankly kind of sucked.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I wonder why. I hope it isn't one of those issues where the developer just really doesn't feel like learning how to make this work. Speaking of which, I wonder how easy Nintendo made it for developers to implement this feature.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Now I can't say I've programmed for the Wii U, but I would imagine it's a simple boolean SendTo=0/1, where 0=television and 1=gamepad.

Shameful if they really couldn't figure that out

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

oddium posted:

If you don't know about the Spacebase DF-9 situation, this probably explains it better than I could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?j0zJF3KAI3w

Basically they released a promising early access title, made back a 400k loan in two weeks which they had taken out from some indie starter fund, released a handful of meager updates over the course of a year, then after a few months of nothing from the devs, they said, "Don't worry, Double Fine isn't some fly by night."

Very shortly after that they announced they wouldn't be developing it anymore because it wasn't making them money and jumped straight from alpha to 1.0

Wow, wasn't planning on buying it anyway, but between this and the lazy programming for not including off-TV play, doesn't look like I'll be buying Double Fine products anytime soon.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

They pulled the same poo poo with their last eShop title, the Cave, which frankly kind of sucked.

That it sure did, although I give the Cave a little credit for at least trying to be a Maniac Mansion sequel.

Double Fine sort of lived off Tim Schaefer's good name but he hasn't really done anything noteworthy since, what, Psychonauts? Which let's face it...the best part of that game is not the part of it you actually PLAY. loving Meat Circus...loving farming stupid in-game currency to advance...

VVV--I love the concept but the gameplay fell flat and was just too repetetive for me. Again, a common trend--clever writing and concepts that forget the whole "game" part. The idea of costumes giving you real powers and stuff is really fun though, and I liked being the Statue of Liberty in an RPG.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 30, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm gonna buy the hell out of it and see all them sweet Candy Corn jokes. Also the first one was very good for a small RPG, it has lots of humor and character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I sort of like the first Costume Quest but it was face-roll easy and the second one is supposedly easier again.

When Schaefer/Double fine make a good game it will be genuinely good but they skate on a lot of shite based on their pedigree as well.

• Locked thread