Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Notorious QIG posted:

solution:

with no information, there are four options
1) girl/girl
2) girl/boy
3) boy/girl
4) boy/boy

since at least one child is a boy, option 1 is eliminated. there are now three remaining options, of which only one has both children being boys. the intuitive answer, 1/2, is true only if the couple specifies which child is a boy

thank you sir for expanding my mind. still digesting this one

also

Notorious QIG posted:

imhotep is invisible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Deacon of Delicious posted:

i have really benefited from teachers that go through proofs and derivations to show how everything works, and then it winds up all being connected and making sense *~WOW~*

also i am bad keeping everything memorized so knowing where a formula comes from helps me tease it out when i can't straight up remember it

i literally did not understand fractions until i started taking algebra. it was entirely magic symbols

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

:vd:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Brain Candy posted:

horrible rote memorization is exactly the price you pay so you can do addition and balance a checkbook. if you stop at whats 'practical', you don't need to teach anything beyond basic algebra

fine you win shut up i dont care about this stupid argument

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

the only thing i have to go off of is that your avatar is wearing a king's crown

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

the only thing i have to go off of is that your avatar is wearing a king's crown

lol if u dont already know me, im a goddamn Yospos Superstar

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

i win. i am the mathiest :unsmith:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

*flies away on an apple computer piloted by stebe*

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
the problem you brought up Notorious about the children kind of remind me of the two dice problem, and what sum would appear the most

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/probability/calcdice.htm

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Brain Candy posted:

horrible rote memorization is exactly the price you pay so you can do addition and balance a checkbook. if you stop at whats 'practical', you don't need to teach anything beyond basic algebra

people should understand interest rates too

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

bump_fn posted:

people should understand interest rates too

im gonna frantically search for a proof for e that does not involve calculus, but i feel like this is something that is done inductively

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Share Bear posted:

im gonna frantically search for a proof for e that does not involve calculus, but i feel like this is something that is done inductively

what's a "proof" for e do you mean definition

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Share Bear posted:

the way its proven to most people is through compounded interest, $e is the amount of money youll get starting with $1 and 100%/yr interest, compounded continuously over a year. strictly speaking its a limit but you can get the point across just fine to somebody who doesnt understand limits

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

theres also the definition that e is the sum for n=0..infinity of 1/n!

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

tbh, this is why there should be a financial literacy class as a separate thing among other reasons so you can present e as part of the magic spell that banks will use to hose you over

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Brain Candy posted:

tbh, this is why there should be a financial literacy class as a separate thing among other reasons so you can present e as part of the magic spell that banks will use to hose you over

I rvaguely remember learning financial math in high school but im white so

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

bump_fn posted:

i don't know the difference

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
if you like funny probability stuff with practical applications towards loving with ppl you should buy a set of non-transitive dice

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Share Bear posted:

i don't know the difference

a proof requires a statement being proven, so you could prove "e is equal to 2.718..." but not "e". the definition of e is the thing what says that e is 2.718...

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Couldn't you give people a primer on compound interest in a non-technical way as part of their high school education? Make it sort of like a sex education. They'd benefit from knowing about about predatory lending practices like ARMs and such. I don't see much benefit from people having a vague recollection of the natural logarithm and exponential growth, when really what they need to know is how to protect themselves from banks taking advantage of them. How to find an appropriate interest rate calculator and use it would be enough (although using search effectively seems to be non-trivial for a lot of people).

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

then why are you commenting on it

same reason everyone is i guess

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

*flies away on an apple computer piloted by stebe*

p sure this is a right reserved to me tbh

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Broken Machine posted:

Couldn't you give people a primer on compound interest in a non-technical way as part of their high school education? Make it sort of like a sex education. They'd benefit from knowing about about predatory lending practices like ARMs and such. I don't see much benefit from people having a vague recollection of the natural logarithm and exponential growth, when really what they need to know is how to protect themselves from banks taking advantage of them. How to find an appropriate interest rate calculator and use it would be enough (although using search effectively seems to be non-trivial for a lot of people).

this comparison is unfair to sex

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bump_fn posted:

this comparison is unfair to sex

I was thinking about banks loving their consumers tbqf

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Broken Machine posted:

i remember high-school sex education as being very high in quality :rolleye:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

augh i still dont get this loving algorithm and ive emailed the authors weeks ago but they dont write me back :(

ive done the first part where i segment an image into vertical zones, and segment the zones into regions. then comes a HMM part where im supposed to refine the zones, but the way its described is impenetrable for me.

i would be really gratful if someone could help me out here

problem in detail:
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/955964/hidden-markov-model-transition-probabilities-which-are-modeled-with-an-exponent

papers (all describe same algorithm):
2008 - ILSP - Robust text-line and word segmentation for handwritten documents images.pdf
2009 - ILSP - Handwritten document image segmentation into text lines and words.pdf
2011 - ILSP - Segmentation of Handwritten Document Images into Text Lines.pdf
2013 Segmentation of heterogeneous document images - an approach based on machine learning, connected components, and texture analysis.pdf (section 5.2)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 30, 2014

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im the paper about c. elegans published by a bunch of no-names being presented as fact

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol i skipped 2 pages of this loving terrible thread

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:gas:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

bump_fn posted:

if there's a single goddamn math course they should teach in high school beyond basic algebra it's loving statistics

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
stats owns

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
stats lets you understand such fundamental things about how the world works, on a physical level, and makes clear that some things seem like common sense but aren't etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when doing uni physics i was doing a tutorial thing coz i was 26 and hadnt done maths since 16 and he stopped the class to go over all these algrebra fundamentals, like how you can flip both sides of equation or thatn division by X was the same as multiplation by 1/X and all of a sudden algebra became not hard but simply a puzzle to be solved and a powerful tool for getting information how you wanted it

and it also lets you "see inside" a lot of physical phenonmena, and skippingf it would be a tradegy

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

stats lets you understand such fundamental things about how the world works, on a physical level, and makes clear that some things seem like common sense but aren't etc

mlyp

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

echinopsis posted:

when doing uni physics i was doing a tutorial thing coz i was 26 and hadnt done maths since 16 and he stopped the class to go over all these algrebra fundamentals, like how you can flip both sides of equation or thatn division by X was the same as multiplation by 1/X and all of a sudden algebra became not hard but simply a puzzle to be solved and a powerful tool for getting information how you wanted it

and it also lets you "see inside" a lot of physical phenonmena, and skippingf it would be a tradegy

just devour trig/calculus already, youll love it and you probably know lots of it already

cool rocketship

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks dude

calculus is where i went from math prodigy to total failure

i understand the point of it but right now, dont need it

vector/engineering math is more likely what i need 2 get into

and thanks!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what i really need 2 do is put the washing away

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rotor posted:

if there's a single goddamn math course they should teach in high school beyond basic algebra it's loving statistics

(basic) linear algebra would also be cool, at least as an alternative to calculus

statistics definitely though because if nothing else it shows that variation is a natural part of the world

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bloody posted:

lol i skipped 2 pages of this loving terrible thread

tbh, as part of the problem, we should really just discuss Cool Math Stuff and not math education because lol yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

• Locked thread