Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think you start eating fatigue penalties pretty quickly, so no more than about 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Once your fatigue reaches your toughness bonus, you pass out. So, sustaining a dead sprint for a long time isn't a thing that's possible. You can move at that speed every other round at no penalty, though.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

So, basically, videogame sprinting.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
That. I'd have to merely run at Olympic sprinter levels in between boosts. Cue anime style super speed fights with Deldar.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp

apostateCourier posted:

Once your fatigue reaches your toughness bonus, you pass out. So, sustaining a dead sprint for a long time isn't a thing that's possible. You can move at that speed every other round at no penalty, though.

you know, unless you're an ork with 50+ T or anything.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Sup this month is apparently the month of hosed up poo poo for me. I'm gonna update when I update straight up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamn does Roll20, having a map, and using voice communication make Dark Heresy more fun. I've started a campaign about an Order of Sisters that discover the Convocation of Nephilim, the agreement making the Sisters the Hereticus' Chamber Militant, is the 40k equivalent of the Donation of Constantine (I.E. a fraud forged by the Inquisition to get them sweet Sister allies) and actually being able to see exactly where the grenades are landing, who's hit by a flamer and who isn't, etc makes it a lot easier to set up suppression, flanking, and driving people out of cover with flamethrowers and incendiaries.

The program automatically tracking character sheets and DoS on rolls helps, too.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Goddamn does Roll20, having a map, and using voice communication make Dark Heresy more fun. I've started a campaign about an Order of Sisters that discover the Convocation of Nephilim, the agreement making the Sisters the Hereticus' Chamber Militant, is the 40k equivalent of the Donation of Constantine (I.E. a fraud forged by the Inquisition to get them sweet Sister allies) and actually being able to see exactly where the grenades are landing, who's hit by a flamer and who isn't, etc makes it a lot easier to set up suppression, flanking, and driving people out of cover with flamethrowers and incendiaries.

The program automatically tracking character sheets and DoS on rolls helps, too.

Totally agree. So many talents or weapon qualities rely on grid for their use. The only downside is you realize how nearly everything is short ranged for weapons if you use the default 1 square = 1 meter.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The other problem, of course, being that if you use a larger scale and have a larger open engagement, guns can fire insanely far compared to how fast most characters can move at the DH level. A melee foe encountered in the open at standoff distance is going to take 10-20 turns to get into combat.

Also, if you fight primarily indoors/close range, flamethrowers become insanely useful, but considering it's a Sisters of Battle campaign, that feels completely fitting anyway.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Does anyone (or anyone's FLGS) have a release date for Forgotten Gods?

FFG says nothing besides Q4, and I'm not a big fan of the "only state a release date on the day it's released" thing...

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Enentol posted:

FFG says nothing besides Q4, and I'm not a big fan of the "only state a release date on the day it's released" thing...

No one has release date stuff for FFG until FFG releases it to everyone, unfortunately.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Enentol posted:

A company gets to decide between people being mad about missed release dates and people being mad about release dates being missing.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
My players retooled their 1st Ed characters to 2nd Ed and found their guys are significantly weaker in a lot of ways. Has this been everyone's experience so far?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
No that sounds like pretty much the opposite of what usually happens, unless your party was very focused on combat. Did you make them go from high level DH1 characters to starting DH2 characters or something?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, starting level DH2.0 characters get a couple of better-than-average stat rolls, some handy fate point tricks, and several choice pieces of gear beyond their starting kit all right out of the gate. I don't know what the breakdown talent/XP-wise is but DH2.0 characters are definitely a cut above starting level DH1.0 characters.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Due to the way advance costs are calculated in 2e, converting a mid- or high-level game won't give you the same number of advances. As an example, a DH1 Tech-Priest needs 3,100xp to purchase Tech-Use +20, although the actual advances (Tech-Use, Tech-Use +10, Tech-Use +20) only amount to 200xp. In DH2 a Forge World-born Adeptus Mechanicus character (any role) will need to spend 500xp to reach Tech-Use +20 but they can do so from character creation. Note that this is a best-case scenario, and only for one skill. Overall, skills and talents will be generally more expensive, while characteristic advances are pretty much on par.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What's the expected rate at which XP is gained, though? DH1E recommended an ad-hoc value of 200 per session, but so far as I know the other lines have increased that value to 400 or 500 per session. (So far as I can tell this is why DH1E advances are so cheap.)

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I think DH2 recommends 400XP per session.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Any good suggestions of where I can find some Sisters of Battle tokens for Roll20? Looking for stuff to serve as pogs for my players.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

NGDBSS posted:

What's the expected rate at which XP is gained, though? DH1E recommended an ad-hoc value of 200 per session, but so far as I know the other lines have increased that value to 400 or 500 per session. (So far as I can tell this is why DH1E advances are so cheap.)

Like Clanpot states, DH2 recommends 400xp for a 4-hour session. I've been following these guidelines and have been doing 100xp per hour with the odd bonus here or there for great roleplaying.

It seems like a really good balance. The players get to buy something new every session (or save up a bit for the expensive stuff), but aren't creeping up in power too quickly.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Any good suggestions of where I can find some Sisters of Battle tokens for Roll20? Looking for stuff to serve as pogs for my players.

Just make your own using Tokentool:

http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=tokentool

Drag your favorite SoB pictures into the program, select 64x64, and there you go.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, that's pretty kickass. Thanks a lot!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Waci posted:

No that sounds like pretty much the opposite of what usually happens, unless your party was very focused on combat. Did you make them go from high level DH1 characters to starting DH2 characters or something?

I had been running a cumulative Experience gained over all FFF 40K RPGs with a conversion system in place to convert exp gained in Deathwatch/Black Crusade to Dark Heresy 1stEdition. Pretty much I had my most consistent player sitting at 6,000 and my worse attendee at 3,000 for a Dark Heresy 1st Edition character. Both mentioned they didn't have nearly the number of advances as they had before. Should I grant them some bonus experience to get their converted characters on par with the old ones? They chose to do the conversion at a moment when their characters are in a particularly deadly encounter, so I'd hate to bone them completely.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think maybe the first step should be to not have everybody converting characters to a new edition in the middle of a dangerous fight.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I think maybe the first step should be to not have everybody converting characters to a new edition in the middle of a dangerous fight.

Well we didn't have enough people to show up, and out of boredom we wanted to play with the new 2ed Book...I gave them the option, and they said they wanted to change.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
And now they're having trouble figuring out how to make the conversion work sooooo

Honestly, my suggestion would be to simply convert things as close to 1-1 as possible, ignoring XP costs and such. Give them all the same attribute numbers, the same talents and traits where applicable, the same gear, same wounds and fate points, and if there's something that doesn't convert over because it came from a sourcebook or whatever then you're just gonna have to improvise because DH2.0 only has the corebook out for it right now. Then give them the appropriate background stuff...fate point uses, special homeworld and career traits, etc.

You might want to check and see if there are any major differences between NPCs/enemies in 1.0 and 2.0 because I have no earthly idea myself. Otherwise I would just keep things as simple as possible and go from there.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

From what I've seen, a lot more of the basic human enemies in 2.0 have body armor. also cover and whatnot matters more. Whereas in DH, basic goons and starting acolytes had 0-2 armor, now it seems goons have 2-4, and mid level troops have 4-6. This is compensated for by the fact that now EVERY starting PC can get a set of guard flak, if they want to, at chargen.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ronwayne posted:

From what I've seen, a lot more of the basic human enemies in 2.0 have body armor. also cover and whatnot matters more. Whereas in DH, basic goons and starting acolytes had 0-2 armor, now it seems goons have 2-4, and mid level troops have 4-6. This is compensated for by the fact that now EVERY starting PC can get a set of guard flak, if they want to, at chargen.

And the very first guys that you could find to fight in the "how to play" module at the end of the book have handcannons with manstopper bullets, thus negating any armor any of your guys have.

Also, everyone can start with a full set of enforcer carapace armor if they're so inclined with the Arbites background.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Azhais posted:

And the very first guys that you could find to fight in the "how to play" module at the end of the book have handcannons with manstopper bullets, thus negating any armor any of your guys have.

Of course, the DH1 core book adventure didn't have any problems with armour penetration, since it just killed you if you missed hints vague enough that I managed to miss them when reading the GM guide for it the first time.

Also, regarding getting fewer advances in DH2? Yes, you will get fewer skills and talents for the same amount of xp. However, unlike in DH1, you get to choose which skills and talents you get yourself. Some might consider this an improvement.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Azhais posted:

Also, everyone can start with a full set of enforcer carapace armor if they're so inclined with the Arbites background.

Ditto if you take the administratus background, due to it lowering availability.

I won't defend a prewritten adventure, especially a FFG one.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Waci posted:

Of course, the DH1 core book adventure didn't have any problems with armour penetration, since it just killed you if you missed hints vague enough that I managed to miss them when reading the GM guide for it the first time.

Also, regarding getting fewer advances in DH2? Yes, you will get fewer skills and talents for the same amount of xp. However, unlike in DH1, you get to choose which skills and talents you get yourself. Some might consider this an improvement.

Oh yeah. That whole adventure was a big mess. I ran it over maptools/skype with my friends, first introduction to 40K lore and the FFG RPGs, and that shitshow of a boss fight, invincible except for some vague clues on how to kill it? Lets say sour tastes were left in mouths.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Does anyone have advice on mashing Infamy, Fate Points, and Acquisition all together in a ball? I'm going to be running a xenos-centric game of Tau "military advisors" sent to overthrow Space Rhodesia. I want to give them two tracks - one representing their local connections with the heretek black market and so on (ideologically compromised but great availability), and another representing clandestine shipments from the Tau Empire, itself (intermittent, poor availability, but excellent quality). I kind of want a game that is generally focused on a higher level of operations than the merely tactical, so any other systems I can patch in to measure the strength and support of different elements of the rogue trader settlement society as they pick and pull at it could be interesting.

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp

Werix posted:

Oh yeah. That whole adventure was a big mess. I ran it over maptools/skype with my friends, first introduction to 40K lore and the FFG RPGs, and that shitshow of a boss fight, invincible except for some vague clues on how to kill it? Lets say sour tastes were left in mouths.

When I ran the Free RPG day adventure for Black Crusade as my first attempt at GMing it was so terrible that one of the PCs shot himself in the head at the end of the first session.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Shadow Isaac posted:

When I ran the Free RPG day adventure for Black Crusade as my first attempt at GMing it was so terrible that one of the PCs shot himself in the head at the end of the first session.

Eep. I was about to run this pretty soon. Is there a good starting adventure for Black Crusade?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ask your players who their PCs want to mess up. Write a brief adventure about rockin' those dudes. It's how to start BC in style.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Black Crusade characters, like Rogue Trader characters, benefit from being self-directed. With Dark Heresy, Only War, and Deathwatch the PCs are slotted into a command structure and report to someone who gives out missions and objectives. While you can have a Black Crusade game where everybody reports to a warmaster or something similar there's absolutely nothing preventing the PCs from going "man, gently caress that guy," stealing a ship, and starting their own warband with blackjack and hookers. Black Crusade encourages you to be in it for yourself, which means that characters with strong desires, goals, and motivations (even if it's something like "be the baddest rear end in the galaxy") will do a lot of the heavy lifting for you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, if you do start out with them reporting to someone and they go 'Man gently caress that guy' and plot his death, if it's sufficiently awesome, run with it all the way to the bank.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

Also, if you do start out with them reporting to someone and they go 'Man gently caress that guy' and plot his death, if it's sufficiently awesome, run with it all the way to the bank.

This really can't be overstated enough. Black Crusade is a game where you should encourage and run with all the players' ideas, especially the stupid, risky ones. You don't have to make it easy for them, if they decide to challenge the Chaos marine in Terminator armor using nothing but a chainknife then absolutely let nature take its course, but don't just smack them down any time they dare to try and usurp your plans or kill your NPCs because the entire game, top to bottom, is all about having powerful ambition and poor impulse control and stifling that, or actively punishing it, is completely missing the point.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

"Man gently caress that guy" is a plot seed in and of itself. Your players care a million times more about murdering some random dude they decided they dislike than they ever will about your big bad plot bad guy.

This goes for any version of any system, ever.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Isaac
Nov 16, 2011

by Ralp

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Eep. I was about to run this pretty soon. Is there a good starting adventure for Black Crusade?

No idea. I've decided to run my first two Black Crusade campaigns entirely off the top of my head once my group gets bored with Dark Heresy, then I'll start checking out book adventures.

The problem with Broken Chains is that it is so structurally rigid and linear in terms of progression that there's very little room for players to do something the designers didn't explicitly intend them to do, and none of the tests as written take failure into consideration when describing results.

Maybe a GM with more improvisational experience could make something good out of it, but this was my first time ever GMing a game and I was struggling to figure out what to do when my characters critically failed mandatory tasks to proceed.

Shadow Isaac fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 1, 2014