Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Let's all take a step back and talk about the real victims here. Since organized begging gangs from Romania have taken over most major cities in Germany people have lost a lot of trust in the institution of begging. Earnings are way down for everyone, even for traditionally solid acts like violin players and guys who are perpetually in need of some change for a bus ticket. :eurovision:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3peat
May 6, 2010

Since ya'll are posting music, here are the 3 most popular ethnic roma singers in Romania, with their respective biggest hits. The first one of these was huge, probably the most popular song here in the last decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo2GRRGUXjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT3j3lXp5bg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KifQ5BXcie0

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Uhhh is the solution to racists really to try to turn this into a chat thread/youtube dump

Doesn't seem like the ideal way of dealing with it

3peat
May 6, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

Let's all take a step back and talk about the real victims here. Since organized begging gangs from Romania have taken over most major cities in Germany people have lost a lot of trust in the institution of begging. Earnings are way down for everyone, even for traditionally solid acts like violin players and guys who are perpetually in need of some change for a bus ticket. :eurovision:

*frantically searches under the bed for the tiniest violin*

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Torka posted:

Uhhh is the solution to racists really to try to turn this into a chat thread/youtube dump

Doesn't seem like the ideal way of dealing with it

Eh, it worked for the Feminism thread.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

That was a much better and nuanced post with a lot of good stuff in it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Obdicut posted:

That was a much better and nuanced post with a lot of good stuff in it.

Yeah, it's one of those GoodPostsTM that I keep reading this thread for.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
First of all, shame on all you unabashed racists. I'm from Serbia, and so is my dad. We have one of the highest Roma populations in Europe, certainly in terms of % of total population, if anybody doubts our "credentials".

Yes, there are problems. Are Roma somehow uniquely incorrigible? Of course loving not. God knows they haven't been given a fair shake so far. I cannot speak for Portugal, I don't think MeLKoR is lying but I don't believe they have it as easy as that.

Dubioza loving rules, I've seen them live both times they came to my town. They make music in English too, if you prefer understanding lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a5BJxrarL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVnL4vYHfYo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK8fVHNk0oM

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

3peat posted:

Lots of words

Thank you for writing that, I think I understand the scenario a little bit better now.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

3peat posted:

Since ya'll are posting music, here are the 3 most popular ethnic roma singers in Romania, with their respective biggest hits. The first one of these was huge, probably the most popular song here in the last decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT3j3lXp5bg

I'm the comically large bling

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

I also thought that was a really useful and nuanced perspective. We could get more of those if there weren't a few people in the thread who's life mission is doing throwaway racism accusations regarding places they've never been and people they've never met.

As for rap music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJBSfJsrEpo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-aDhYgBKWQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye4LSxwnnUE

Last video isn't rap, but that guy should be selling out concert halls instead of playing on the world's most soviet couch.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Smerdyakov posted:

I also thought that was a really useful and nuanced perspective. We could get more of those if there weren't a few people in the thread who's life mission is doing throwaway racism accusations regarding places they've never been and people they've never met.

I've met tons of Romanians, thanks, and that was a good post. It fully admitted, for example, the huge amount of racism that Roma still suffer in Romania, and the stereotyping of Roma--and put that into context, of the lack of education about historical abuses of Roma, etc.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MeLKoR posted:

Are you telling me that in the US this sort of thing

happens and that the squatters will simply be left alone for months\years and the land owner has no recourse other than letting them be or risk getting killed? If you say so I'm not going to contradict you because I don't live the US but that really really isn't the idea we get over here.

I know a lot of people who live in the Margem Sul area in those conditions and the majority of them are white old people who live in abject misery. Did you actually check for ethnicity when you took that picture?

I had an uncle who lived in one of those "habitations", that summer vacation i spent there was quite amazing let me tell you, and the mother of my girlfriend was born and raised in the same fashion. One of her sibling is still living in there.

And about the violence, the self-ostracism, the us vs them attitude and the less than legal ways of earning a living aren't exclusive to the Roma, they're the product of decades of PS\PSD cluster fucks with very few spots of properly done public policy. You raised a good point though. Their society is so closed that it's really hard for social workers to approach them and integrate them into society, on the one hand because one in two Portuguese (white black or even asian!) loving hates the Roma with all their spirit and will never work with them, two because the rest of the family ties will shun him for trying to leave family and enter a world that is really hostile to them.

A lot of work can and should be made by empowering the gispy women. Empowering them will help end the cycle of the extreme patriarchal families, allow them to study and act as equals to their male counterparts. But this must be done from the inside, you simply can't do it from the outside with much success. How we do this i don't know.

The Roma aren't like the Chinese or Indians because the Roma don't get five year tax heavens for creating a new business, they won't be able to hire people to work seven days a week without a contract and by paying them under the table nor will they get subsidies from their home country for basically money washing. Or do you seriously think most Chinese stores are created because a dude living on Guangzhou one day opened a newspaper and saw that opening a Chinese store in Santos would be a brilliant business pratice?

And the African population in Portugal has very much different characteristics from the Roma. At the very least, we admited that enslaving and bombing the poo poo out of them was kinda bad. We blamed every market disturbance prior to the 19th century on the loving gipsies (because blaming Jews was tricky) and the Estado Novo treated deplorably.

tl dr every minority in Portugal is hosed up the rear end in its own, special way, most of the times with the direct assistance of their home countries. That the local white man is also hosed up the rear end in a spetacular way shows that we Portuguese are a very charitable folk who hate seeing someone else suffering on their own.

Here's a Gispy making Kizomba, something that no one says they like but will dance to when they're drunk as balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7LUARh_OZM

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also like that you took a picture that perfectly compares the way Roma and White people "squat" on the periurban area. One with improvised shacks in miserable conditions, the others with magnificent vivendas.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

3peat posted:

As for solutions for the roma, I don't know what to say. In Romania we've had a form of affirmative action for them since the 90s, with free university spots reserved for roma students, tax breaks for companies that hire roma (with roma only job fairs), various government and NGO ran programs, and there's been some results but it's far from enough. When we entered the EU I thought our roma will just migrate west, and since western countries are way richer, way more civilized and so much wiser, they'll be able to achieve what we couldn't and integrate them. Guess that didn't work out so well heh. Now romanians are angry because romanian roma have been doing some stealing, raping etc across europe, and europeans think roma and romanian are the same thing so they hate us; and so that turned into yet another excuse for racism here.

Well, sorry for my kinda incoherent post as it's late here and I'm dead tired from work, but I wanted to better explain some issues :)

Beggars were virtually nonexistent in Sweden until a few short years ago. Now there are – and I'm not exaggerating – Romanian beggars outside of virtually every single grocery store during the warmer months (less in winter for obvious reasons) – squatting in parks etc. And it's not just isolated to the big cities either – even my lovely podunk town got a bunch. It is difficult to convey how big and how shocking a change this is. Far as I can tell we've got no idea how to handle the situation either. Traditional wisdom is to fight the causes of poverty – not the symptoms – and I don't think we're about to ban begging (unlike our neighbors), but Romania is kind of outside our reach, and the beggars are – obviously – not Swedish citizens. Consequently our options seem fairly limited.

Now there's also this question of what to do with their kids, how to find schools and shelters for them during their stay (the Syrian refugee crisis already has us taxed) and it's all just a loving mess.

The liberals (in our last right wing government) approached Romania apropos Swedish help concerning the Roma, but were apparently told to gently caress off, and nothing ever came of it AFAIK. I'm curious; what's the Romanian perspective of this, if any?

e: for reference: http://t.sr.se/1hyZ3DG

Wouldn't surprise me if what they offered was a bum deal (as liberals are wont to).

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 30, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are less than 70k Roma in Sweden. You're full of poo poo.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Mans posted:

Wait, which part you don't believe? That there are Romanians arriving to take over the street corners of the major cities (and apparently more than that) whenever it becomes slightly warmer? Because that exact thing started happening a few years ago in Finland, too. Luckily only mainly in the Helsinki area but our officials and citizens are equally confused about what to do with them. As far as police and social workers have been able to tell, there's no criminal activity behind the phenomenon and they simply are people who have travelled all the way here to beg.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
Anyone have an idea what's up with this? Russian bombers flying over the Balkans without using transponders or informing anyone?

quote:

'Unusual' Russian flights concern NATO

An "unusual" uptick in the size and scale of Russian aircraft flying throughout European airspace in recent days has raised alarm bells for NATO officials that come amid other provocations already rattling the West.

Multiple groups of Russian military bomber and tanker aircraft, flying under the guise of military maneuvers, were detected and monitored over sections of the Baltic Sea, North Sea and Black Sea on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Those flights represented an "unusual level of air activity over European airspace," according to a press release from NATO.

Adding to the concern -- none of the Russian aircraft filed customary flight plans or maintained radio contact with civilian aviation authorities or used any of their onboard transponders.

"This poses a potential risk to civil aviation as civilian air traffic control cannot detect these aircraft or ensure there is no interference with civilian air traffic," NATO said in its release.
According to NATO, Norwegian F-16s were scrambled and intercepted eight Russian aircraft flying over the North Sea. While some of the aircraft turned back toward Russia, two Tu-95 Bear H Russian bombers continued their flight, and were identified and intercepted by F-16s from Portugal.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/29/world/russian-aircraft-european-airspace/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

breaklaw posted:

Anyone have an idea what's up with this? Russian bombers flying over the Balkans without using transponders or informing anyone?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/29/world/russian-aircraft-european-airspace/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I have to wonder how long before they go back to buzzing carrier groups in those big bombers of theirs?

Flexing in this way wasn't uncommon back in the Cold War. You can get a lot of nice press and pictures to show off of how impotent the other side is and so forth. It's dangerous, but I think I'd prefer the Russians buzzing carriers and doing things like this as a way of showing how strong they are over stealing pieces of neighboring countries whole sale.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

breaklaw posted:

My guess is that it's a nuclear war exercise in response to Steadfast Noon, which is a very obscure NATO nuclear war exercise underway in Italy right now. But even if we're not paying attention to it, I'm sure the Kremlin is.

It's also unusual because Poland is participating in Steadfast Noon with F-16s; that's a first.

http://fas.org/blogs/security/2014/10/steadfastnoon/

^ Kristensen's argument is that while Poland's F-16s are not thought to be nuclear-capable, their presence could fuel Russian paranoia, as NATO "officially" adheres to a policy of not expanding its nuclear capability further east. Poland also announced last month they are buying these:

http://www.dsca.mil/major-arms-sales/poland-joint-air-surface-standoff-missiles-and-f-16-operational-flight-plan-upgrade

Which are not nuclear missiles, but conventional deep-strike missiles launched from F-16s that would (in practice) be used to hit land targets in Russia, like big radars and such. So Russia is kinda squeeked out at the moment and is flexing its muscles in response. But that's just my guess. This is a major escalation of Russian flights. U nuk practice Rossiya? Then Rossiya practice nuk u.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 30, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mans posted:

Thank you for your incredible contribution to the discussion .

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
A friend of mine has sent me this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/robert-kraft-vladimir-putin-stole-super-bowl-ring-130732690.html

quote:

Putin’s interest in acquiring personal consumer goods, which Gessen describes as “pleonexia,” has continued into his presidency. Robert Kraft, the owner of the New England Patriots, recounted at an after-dinner speech at a public ceremony in the Waldorf-Astoria in 2013 that in 2005, while on a business trip to Russia with a group of top executives, Kraft had shown Putin his Super Bowl ring, encrusted with over four carats of diamonds, a fact confirmed by many pictures taken at the time: “I took out the ring and showed it to [Putin], and he put it on and he goes, ‘I can kill someone with this ring.’ I put my hand out and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out.” Kraft made it known he wanted the ring back, but he claims that he got a call from the George W. Bush White House saying, “It would really be in the best interests of U.S.-Soviet [sic] relations if you meant to give the ring as a present.” So Kraft released a statement saying he decided to gift the ring to Putin. But by 2013 he had changed his mind, and in response to this new story, Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Putin would not return the ring but would be happy to buy Mr. Kraft another one and advised that anyone who believes the story should “talk with psychoanalysts.

Can't vouch for the truthfulness of the article, but nevertheless it's pretty funny. Made me chuckle.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

breaklaw posted:

I'm confused, the article mentions the Baltics and not the Balkans like you did in your post.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 30, 2014

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Mans posted:

If you read what I wrote you'll notice I was talking about Romanian beggars - not Swedish Roma (or Finnish Kale).

e: I'm also not sure what to say if you think I'm exaggerating or that I would – for some reason – lie about it in the first place. Hit up some Swedish acquaintances if you've got any, I guess, and I'm sure they'll corroborate my story.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 30, 2014

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

quote:

Ibragimov, who fled to France in 2001, was living out the last years of his life in political asylum but had continued to agitate against the Putin government, staging hunger strikes and sometimes one-man protests at sites like the European Parliament in Strasbourg. He had made his home in what he thought was a safe place—Strasbourg is also the seat of the European Court of Human Rights, and a city far from the countries on Russia’s borders over which Putin seemed increasingly determined to exert the Kremlin’s influence. But in his decade as a politician in Chechnya, Ibragimov had dealt with numerous threats, beatings and attempts to kill him, so what happened about an hour after he sat down on his folding chair on the banks of the Ill did not, in retrospect, entirely surprise him. As he stared at the nylon line he had cast into the sluggish current of the river, he heard a rustling in the trees behind him and, before he could turn, he felt a heavy blow to the back of the skull. It knocked him unconscious.

When he awoke, he tells TIME, he found himself blindfolded and in the custody of at least three men, all of them speaking Russian. Calmly at first, they urged him to stop “defaming their President,” but when Ibragimov told them in response that he “does not take orders from thugs,” the men began to beat and torture him, he says. The abuse continued over the course of nearly two days.

http://time.com/putin-secret-agents/

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

breaklaw posted:

German air force responded to 8 Russian fighters flying over the Baltics yesterday. It appears to be something the Russians are going to do.

Another video of Lukashenko and son in Abu Dhabi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwMNzvf-HXQ

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 30, 2014

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

Lwow. Ukrainians burn US flag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmdP0QVrobw

I thought uncle Sam is now thé best friend of pork-eaters. What is wrong with them now?

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Haha the whole "pork eaters" thing Russians do about Ukraine is really funny since Russia is a huge importer of pork products (5th in the world)

I know nationalist epithets don't often make sense but this one seems particularly nonsensical

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TeodorMorozov posted:

Lwow. Ukrainians burn US flag
Do you paraphrase the title of the video or do you state location where it happened?

Edit:

Torka posted:

I know nationalist epithets don't often make sense but this one seems particularly nonsensical
"Proper" slur for this case is "fatback eaters", which comes for thing called 'salo', that is very popular in Ukraine but seems to disgust sizeable portion of Russians.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 30, 2014

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

breaklaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mUCLHzWiJo

It's a surprise. As you know, the premier loves surprises.

kalstrams posted:

"Proper" slur for this case is "fatback eaters", which comes for thing called 'salo', that is very popular in Ukraine but seems to disgust sizeable portion of Russians.

When Ukrainians insist on ordering a giant platter of salo it would turn anyone's stomach, but I've never met a Russian who doesn't like to have a slice of salo on black bread with a chive to accompany vodka.

The best old Ukrainian joke I heard about Russians was one from circa 1961 after Yuri Gagarin's first launch:

A: "Sasha!"
B: "Yes?"
A: "The Moskali have flown to space!"
B: "All of them?"
A: "No, just one."
B: "So why are you telling me?"

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 30, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

kalstrams posted:

So it's a poor translation of an idiom, that makes more sense I guess.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

TeodorMorozov posted:

I thought uncle Sam is now thé best friend of pork-eaters. What is wrong with them now?

*15 people visible in video* ALL UKRAINIANS NOW HATE AMERIKKKA *sucks putin's dick*

*hates gays*

*shoots up some krokodil*

ah glorious russia

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 30, 2014

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Dutch among you will be able to see me talk about our latest MH17 work on RTL Late Night this coming Wednesday, which will be followed by our new MH17 report on around November 10th. We've collected more evidence the Buk photographed and filmed on July 17th came from Russia, plus more information confirming the rebels were the ones on control of that Buk.

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

The Dutch among you will be able to see me talk about our latest MH17 work on RTL Late Night this coming Wednesday, which will be followed by our new MH17 report on around November 10th. We've collected more evidence the Buk photographed and filmed on July 17th came from Russia, plus more information confirming the rebels were the ones on control of that Buk.

Your efforts were amazing but also useless.
That's only because SBU chief Valentyn Nalyvaichenko told on air what MH17 was downed by Buk-M.
There are no Buk-M on Russian military service. This modification of Buks is Ukrainian model ;)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

TeodorMorozov posted:

That's only because SBU chief Valentyn Nalyvaichenko told on air what MH17 was downed by Buk-M.
There are no Buk-M on Russian military service. This modification of Buks is Ukrainian model ;)

Yes, it's unfortunate we live in a world where the words of one man can override all other evidence.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Yes, it's unfortunate we live in a world where the words of one man can override all other evidence.

Time to shut it all down I guess, you had a good run! So much for evidence and careful analysis...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TeodorMorozov posted:

You calling someone 'useless' is rich.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
After Germany's weird shadow-dance of trying to borrow money from the future to secretly make the Bundeswehr-budget higher but maybe not, Poland is going full in. No trying to fight giving money to the army here, Poland just rises it's defense budget and continues with modernizing it's army. Also a part of said army gets relocated from the western to the eastern border.

Part of that modernization is restoring the eastern defense systems (barracks, bases, that kind of stuff) back to working order to house the sizable portion of the Polish army flooding in soon.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

TeodorMorozov posted:

Well if Valentyn said it that must mean it's true, might as well throw all of this evidence out, we're done here boys. Good on that fella, saving us the trouble.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Torka posted:

Haha the whole "pork eaters" thing Russians do about Ukraine is really funny since Russia is a huge importer of pork products (5th in the world)

It's salo, not just any pork
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baYnlS1sBBw

• Locked thread