Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Pron on VHS posted:

So it turns out the Iphones are sold out in every AT&T/Apple store around me so I have some time to research. Thanks guys!

Yup, same here. It sucks because my upgrade wasn't eligible until ~2 weeks after the iPhone dropped, so it had just enough time to sell the gently caress out everywhere and put me on the longest of the backorder bandwagon. I ordered on Oct. 15 and my expected deliver is between Nov. 24 and Dec. 4. (Gold 64gb 6+)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I like my 6+ and don't find it too big despite not having giant freak hands. The battery life is great, which is the biggest plus. I was also able to pick it up in (an apple) store by using one of those inventory tracker apps fairly diligently for a couple of days.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I live in a major US city, but istocknow.com worked perfectly for me. I got a 64 GB 6 reg one day after deciding to buy and setting up notifications.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The thing is I want to use AT&T's no-interest financing thing and Apple doesn't let us buy online and pickup in stores, so I have to go and hope the store has it

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

The thing is I want to use AT&T's no-interest financing thing and Apple doesn't let us buy online and pickup in stores, so I have to go and hope the store has it

Im in the same boat but with the verizon edge program. I ordered the first week or so of october and my ship date is november 14th (6+ 64 gb). Is there any way around that if youre not wanting the traditional contract? I havent been able to find one.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Yeah I bought on AT&T Next as well. I just drove over when I got the email they had it in. Fortunately the alert came at 4:20 PM (:350:) so I barely had to leave work early to go get it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems best to order direct from Apple. I ordered my white 64gb 6 on October 11 and got it on the 20th.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I ordered mine a week before it was released and got it the day it released. :smug:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Are the NFC chips in the iPhone/iPad technically capable of talking to each other? Wondering if iOS9 could potentially open up the possibility for anyone who uses ApplePay to not only spend money with it, but also receive money from other people using ApplePay. With Apple taking a cut of every transaction, of course.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like a small phone honestly, but I sold my 5S today and using it to clear all the settings I don't think I would go back from the 6.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

There's almost certainly no technical reason the NFC chips in the iPhone/iPad couldn't support NFC peer-to-peer modes - it's pretty much going to be up to Apple whether they open up that functionality or not.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Peer to peer transactions may happen but nfc itself is not necessary for that. I doubt apple is interested in opening up the nfc when airdrop exists.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Kalman posted:

There's almost certainly no technical reason the NFC chips in the iPhone/iPad couldn't support NFC peer-to-peer modes - it's pretty much going to be up to Apple whether they open up that functionality or not.

Discussion on various sites seems to be that this isn't possible due to the NFC chip not being attached to an antenna, and the likely reason it is there is that that chip is where the "secure enclave" lives and they using the same part for simplicity.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Are the NFC chips in the iPhone/iPad technically capable of talking to each other? Wondering if iOS9 could potentially open up the possibility for anyone who uses ApplePay to not only spend money with it, but also receive money from other people using ApplePay. With Apple taking a cut of every transaction, of course.
Well ApplePay can be used for online payments too so it's not like you need to use the NFC chip at all (beyond the secure enclave of it) or even be physically near each other, but for that there's still AirDrop as mentioned if NFC isn't an option. I guess that still leaves a question of receiving money with ApplePay, particularly since there's no holding account involved like PayPal iirc (...which might have some strings attached like random banking regulations for all I know).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a free application for OSX that supports extracting pictures from an encrypted iPhone backup as long as you have the password? I moved to an iPhone 6 after breaking an iPhone 4s and I want my pictures back without having to blow away my current iOS install, restoring, copying my pictures off, and then restoring to an iPhone 6 backup.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
What kind of users are the 16gb models for? I keep looking at them and I feel like by the time you count the OS footprint, basic apps, and saved songs and podcasts, if you then decided to take a 5 minute video or lose track of how many photos you've taken that you'd really quickly be boned. But then I look at the 64gb model and think "This is literally 100 dollars more and I'll never need this much".

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Kersch posted:

What kind of users are the 16gb models for? I keep looking at them and I feel like by the time you count the OS footprint, basic apps, and saved songs and podcasts, if you then decided to take a 5 minute video or lose track of how many photos you've taken that you'd really quickly be boned. But then I look at the 64gb model and think "This is literally 100 dollars more and I'll never need this much".

I've never had more than a 16gb phone and it's fine. I stream most of my video stuff and have like 3 or 4 gigs of movies. Sometimes it gets full if the phone does weird stuff with other or I take a lot of videos but it's never been an issue. That said it's getting more and more annoying as the OS keeps taking up more space and apps get bigger.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
For people having trouble finding an iPhone 6, check your local RadioShacks. No Apple store, AT&T store, or Best Buy around me had any Space Gray 64gb 6s, but about 3 or 4 RadioShacks in my area had them. They (or at least my store) let you put one on hold for the day as well.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

anyone have recommendations for where to get a nice, minimal case for the 6?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Kersch posted:

People who keep everything in the cloud (like me). I have a 32gb 5s and the only reason it's almost always full is photos and videos, which should eventually be resolved with iCloud Photos. I use iTunes Match for music and Plex/Netflix to watch stuff so I don't really need that much space.

That is of course assuming that apps won't be getting much bigger over the years (the probably will).

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Kersch posted:

Stingy/poor people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kersch posted:

People who don't listen to podcasts (most people) and/or music on their phones (still probably a lot.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wish I hadn't gone with the 16 gb but when it comes down to it I don't really need much space. I stream my music and automatically offload my photos on Dropbox. Podcasts take up a lot of space but I don't keep old ones around unless I'm planning a long trip.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

16->64->128 was a really dumb and bad idea

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We go through this every few months, yes the 16GB is stupid but it will continue to exist so Apple can keep their "starting at" price for the iPhone somewhat reasonable.

It also apparently sells like hotcakes, even though no intelligent person would actually buy the stupid thing. 32GB is a good minimum but apparently we can't have that anymore.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Amber Alert posted:

I thought it was pretty well agreed on that the 16GB exists instead of 32GB to upsell a larger phone to a good amount of people who feel 16GB is too small. Apple is a business after all.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Amber Alert posted:

Nah it was a good idea because they make like an extra 100 million dollars because of it and only dumb nerds on the internet give enough of a poo poo to complain about it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xzzy posted:

We go through this every few months, yes the 16GB is stupid but it will continue to exist so Apple can keep their "starting at" price for the iPhone somewhat reasonable.

It also apparently sells like hotcakes, even though no intelligent person would actually buy the stupid thing. 32GB is a good minimum but apparently we can't have that anymore.

Haha, what? My 16GB has two full years of pictures and videos on it and it's not full. Not everyone has the need to keep gigs of music on their phone when most can be streamed these days.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Seriously. Some people just aren't digital hoarders or play games much on their phones. I use my phone for browsing, communicating with people, taking a few pictures and listening to a little music at the gym. 16 is fine for me. Insulting people because they bought smaller capacity phones than you did seems pretty douchey.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

FishBulb posted:

Seriously. Some people just aren't digital hoarders or play games much on their phones. I use my phone for browsing, communicating with people, taking a few pictures and listening to a little music at the gym. 16 is fine for me. Insulting people because they bought smaller capacity phones than you did seems pretty douchey.
Exactly, a lot of normal people (i.e. haven't paid :10bux: to post on an internet forum) are like "I have loads of music on my phone, almost 300 songs!" and really don't need that much storage. My only complaint with the 16/32/128 thing is that the jump in size seems to have a ridiculously disproportionate jump in price.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Is the camera on my 6+ supposed to be jutting out?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Is the camera on my 6+ supposed to be jutting out?

No. If you read the instruction card that came with the phone you are supposed to press it in before use. Some pressure may be needed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would imagine a lot of companies buy the 16gb phones since you're not supposed/able to put stuff on your work phone anyway,

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

FishBulb posted:

Even John Gruber says it's lovely to offer a 16 Gb model, when all the marquee features are massive games, storage intensive slo-mo video, and updates that require Gb of free space to install.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Aphrodite posted:

I would imagine a lot of companies buy the 16gb phones since you're not supposed/able to put stuff on your work phone anyway,

This is how it is where I work but it doesn't stop people

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

JiUC posted:

anyone have recommendations for where to get a nice, minimal case for the 6?

Check out Apple's own cases. The leather one is very nice.

The Spigen Air Cushion also seems like a good choice if you want something cheaper.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kobayashi posted:

Even John Gruber says it's lovely to offer a 16 Gb model, when all the marquee features are massive games, storage intensive slo-mo video, and updates that require Gb of free space to install.

Well if John Gruber says so.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Hey guys what does John Gruber have to say about drop-crotch pants? Cool or lame?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

noirstronaut posted:

Well if John Gruber says so.

Because he's the biggest Apple cheerleader on the web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lots of people can get by on 16gb and not notice the pinch. Lots of non-tech people get owned by it. It may work for you, but it's mostly a brilliant way for Apple to extract more money from customers by pressuring them to pay $100 more for the 64gb model, and it's not a way to make a great product.