Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dump_Stat posted:

I don't think it ever was really a thing, like competetive or serious-play wise. But be damned if it isn't fun as hell to run around with 10-20 models in a 2k game.

Deathwing was a very seriously good competitive army at the end of 3rd through most of 4th ed before the new DA codex hit. This was when Assault Cannons were king poo poo of poop mountain and they could cram a ton of those motherfuckers into every list. This was also when the Baal was the undisputed best tank in the game for similar reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Deathwing was a very seriously good competitive army at the end of 3rd through most of 4th ed before the new DA codex hit. This was when Assault Cannons were king poo poo of poop mountain and they could cram a ton of those motherfuckers into every list. This was also when the Baal was the undisputed best tank in the game for similar reasons.

Hey, I've only lost one game with my Deathwing in 7th. We're making a comeback! I swear!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Direwolf posted:

Hey, I've only lost one game with my Deathwing in 7th. We're making a comeback! I swear!

Yeah I mean I don't think theres been many times where an army full of terminators that deepstrike or have huge hard to kill transports was really awful. 4th was just the height of their goodness since the had the old rear end cannons after the new dex revised them, heavy Armor wasn't as universal and constant as it is now (there wasn't as many tanks, flyers, and not every had heavy infantry options as well) so Storm Bolters were considered extremely good since they could put out serious hurt on almost every armies main troops and since games weren't objective based they weren't hurt by having small numbers of men to hold points.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

LordAba posted:

The rules state "the target is in cover, even if [the model] is completely visible to the firer". Unless I'm missing something something specific?

Note that later in the same paragraph, it points out that if the firing models are tall enough to see over the intervening models, no cover save is gained. The above text is essentially saying that the "gaps" between individual models in the unit are considered to be just as tall (and just as obscuring) as the models themselves, but for large models like Tyranid MCs with small models like Tyranid gribblies, it may not be sufficient. A Tyrannofex can't get cover from Gaunts under basically any circumstances, although a Hive Tyrant on foot or Tyranid Warrior certainly could.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

AbusePuppy posted:

Note that later in the same paragraph, it points out that if the firing models are tall enough to see over the intervening models, no cover save is gained. The above text is essentially saying that the "gaps" between individual models in the unit are considered to be just as tall (and just as obscuring) as the models themselves, but for large models like Tyranid MCs with small models like Tyranid gribblies, it may not be sufficient. A Tyrannofex can't get cover from Gaunts under basically any circumstances, although a Hive Tyrant on foot or Tyranid Warrior certainly could.

Simple solution is to just model all your carifexes as crawlifexes. Jesus folks do we have to spell it out for you?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Squirming Krawler

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Minor disagreement in my group - can you move physically on top of an objective?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Von Humboldt posted:

Minor disagreement in my group - can you move physically on top of an objective?

Can't see why you shouldn't be able to, unless you've actually modeled objectives. we just use small pieces of paper to indicate that a particular spot is an objective.

it'd be easy enough to houserule though

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Von Humboldt posted:

Depends what the objective is. Should be fine normally though, just obey terrain and movement rules.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Von Humboldt posted:

poor etiquette imo

you might break the table or damage the terrain, depending on how heavy you are I suppose

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AbusePuppy posted:

True, it says that "if the shots go over the unit, either because of elevation..." but you have to account for the first sentence still: "If a target is partially obscured from the firer". This indicates that the shots have to go completely over the unit, aka you can draw line of sight to the entire model without crossing the area determined by another unit.

Granted that sentence also states "it receives a 5+ cover save in the same way as if it was behind terrain". This is not exactly clear... does it mean the requirements of being behind terrain (which includes the 25%) or that being partially obscured from the firer grants you the 5+ cover save like being granted a cover save from terrain?

Here is the article in question:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I've just posted up another battle report in the narrative campaign me and some friends are doing - Inquisitor Ahn Senior tries to break through an Ork + Night Lord ambush in the desert!

https://ahnchronicles.tumblr.com

The next battle will be soon, and will be a massed Imperial Guard infantry list probably versus a Green Tide. Watch this space...

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 30, 2014

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Lord Twisted posted:

I've just posted up another battle report in the narrative campaign me and some friends are doing - Inquisitor Ahn Senior tries to break through an Ork + Night Lord ambush in the desert!

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/ahnchronicles

The next battle will be soon, and will be a massed Imperial Guard infantry list probably versus a Green Tide. Watch this space...

Make sure you request adequate time off work and have regularly scheduled supply drops while you move all your models.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I cannot see that without registering on tumblr!

WD is just another exhibit in the 'GW staff do not understand rules' trial. I mean what they pass off as tactical advice is either billy basics or sometimes just plain wrong. I admit though, really competitive advice would showcase the fact that the game is not balanced and a player buying models purely to win games would only even consider buying a 3rd of the options available to an army. (not every army, only about 1/6 of the armies available)

Shout out to ineptmule, I finally got round to buying/playing the game Space Marine, and it kicks rear end. Not very deep or complex, and I have to play as a fancy-dancy hoity-toity Ultramarine, but drat good fun.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's taken me ages to get back in the game, playing some practice battles with my brother using Nurgle Demons (I didn't play a single game of 6th despite throwing away money on the rulebook-- it was worth it since my payroll manager saw the book and said, "Ohhh, I want a lightning claw").

I'll dig out my BLUD WING and play some games with those, will post results. When I played with my Lamenters I got ruined four times in a row against his demons, hopefully Terminators will do better. :v:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Von Humboldt posted:

The rulebook doesn't really give a guideline; tournaments typically allow moving over/onto objectives, but it's certainly reasonable to agree with your opponent that objectives are counted as impassible terrain, especially if they are large/scenic ones. Some players even use entire terrain pieces themselves (a building, etc) as objectives, in which case you can pretty obviously move onto/through it.

LordAba posted:

True, it says that "if the shots go over the unit, either because of elevation..." but you have to account for the first sentence still: "If a target is partially obscured from the firer". This indicates that the shots have to go completely over the unit, aka you can draw line of sight to the entire model without crossing the area determined by another unit.

There certainly is some contradictory text in the intervening models section, to be sure. However, the way I have typically played it (and the way most tournaments tend to rule it) is that the "phantom" models in between the gaps of the unit would need to be tall enough to obscure the model behind them to grant the cover save. It's certainly not the only interpretation you could take of the passage, but I feel it's the most reasonable one given the way other rules work and how the effect has worked in previous editions.

Question for folks: I'm tired of trying to mark my Eldar skimmers with dice for their HP loss, because there's basically nowhere to balance them. I'd like to do as I did for my Necron vehicles and magnetize some HP counters onto them, but I'm at something of a loss for what an interesting way to represent it might be. Any suggestions?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

Question for folks: I'm tired of trying to mark my Eldar skimmers with dice for their HP loss, because there's basically nowhere to balance them. I'd like to do as I did for my Necron vehicles and magnetize some HP counters onto them, but I'm at something of a loss for what an interesting way to represent it might be. Any suggestions?

Extra spirit stones?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

AbusePuppy posted:

The rulebook doesn't really give a guideline; tournaments typically allow moving over/onto objectives, but it's certainly reasonable to agree with your opponent that objectives are counted as impassible terrain, especially if they are large/scenic ones. Some players even use entire terrain pieces themselves (a building, etc) as objectives, in which case you can pretty obviously move onto/through it.

There certainly is some contradictory text in the intervening models section, to be sure. However, the way I have typically played it (and the way most tournaments tend to rule it) is that the "phantom" models in between the gaps of the unit would need to be tall enough to obscure the model behind them to grant the cover save. It's certainly not the only interpretation you could take of the passage, but I feel it's the most reasonable one given the way other rules work and how the effect has worked in previous editions.

It depends on how dedicated you are to the idea, but I sunk some magnets into the underside of the WS top piece, then made some smoke effects with cotton balls and magnets. When they take a hit I just snap some smoke and flames on like magic. I'll grab some pictures when I'm home.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

Make some small cracks and impact craters to have your skimmers accrue battle damage.

^^^^ That's a better idea.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

raverrn posted:

It depends on how dedicated you are to the idea, but I sunk some magnets into the underside of the WS top piece, then made some smoke effects with cotton balls and magnets. When they take a hit I just snap some smoke and flames on like magic. I'll grab some pictures when I'm home.

This needs to be coupled with those electric candles somebody used to make smoke and flames that were 'actually' on fire.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Drake_263 posted:

Extra spirit stones?

I kinda thought of that, but I'm not sure what to use for it. I did some browsing of the local craft store without finding anything that really struck me as looking sufficiently "Eldary."

raverrn posted:

I love this idea for Imperial tanks, but I'm a bit more ambivalent on it for Serpents. I always envision losing HP on Serpents and Necron vehicles as stuff like shields failing, overloading protective systems, etc, as opposed to shots actually punching straight through the core. Pics would still be nice to see, though.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Drake_263 posted:

This needs to be coupled with those electric candles somebody used to make smoke and flames that were 'actually' on fire.

Check the battle report I posted above - we do this. Its so incredibly easy.

Buy cheap battery powered tea lights (£3 for like 12), get cotton wool, PVA the wool onto the lights, spray black, maybe drybrush some grey on.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

I kinda thought of that, but I'm not sure what to use for it. I did some browsing of the local craft store without finding anything that really struck me as looking sufficiently "Eldary."

If you want to get clever, get some of that hot-cast silicone stuff they use to make instant molds, take an imprint of a spirit stone of a good size and shape on an existing tank, and just use the mold to make your own out of greenstuff?

This stuff. One blister costs you maybe ten bucks if I recall correctly and you can reuse it as much as you like - just heat the stuff up (I just put some in a bowl of water and slap it in the microwave for a couple of minutes), fish it out, slap it on the model, let it cool. Once it's cooled down you can just gently peel it off the mini, cut away the excess, and go to town.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

AbusePuppy posted:

How about something like http://rocketshipgames.com/accessories/imperial-commands/ ? Tokens would be easier to balance or put next to models or on bases or whatever, and that would mark things pretty well.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

Check the battle report I posted above - we do this. Its so incredibly easy.

Buy cheap battery powered tea lights (£3 for like 12), get cotton wool, PVA the wool onto the lights, spray black, maybe drybrush some grey on.

I'm aware! I meant that somebody needs to take those, slap a magnet on the underside, and pin them onto destroyed vehicles and the like :)

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Drake_263 posted:

I'm aware! I meant that somebody needs to take those, slap a magnet on the underside, and pin them onto destroyed vehicles and the like :)

Ah yes of course, we found they fit nicely onto turrets etc, or you can use blutac if you aren't afraid of paint coming off with it.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry for double post, have fixed the link above

ahnchronicles.tumblr.com

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Drake_263 posted:

If you want to get clever, get some of that hot-cast silicone stuff they use to make instant molds, take an imprint of a spirit stone of a good size and shape on an existing tank, and just use the mold to make your own out of greenstuff?

This stuff. One blister costs you maybe ten bucks if I recall correctly and you can reuse it as much as you like - just heat the stuff up (I just put some in a bowl of water and slap it in the microwave for a couple of minutes), fish it out, slap it on the model, let it cool. Once it's cooled down you can just gently peel it off the mini, cut away the excess, and go to town.

Advocating this 30000%. I bought a 6-pack of this stuff on eBay and was able to make my own shoulder pads within minutes. IT should be able to make spirit stones like nothing. And thanks to the fact that you can reuse it, you shouldn't need more than a 6-pack ever.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Does anyone seem to have really weird painting times? I sat down yesterday and painted a Deathwing termi to a decent standard in like two hours but other stuff seems to take me like a week for individual models. I'm painting a squad of FW 40k Death Guard termis and I'm still on the first after like a week and it's so frustrating going from blowing through models to basically stagnating.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
30k has scoring objective secured all terminator troop armies :smugdog:

…but I don’t really know why you would run one

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BULBASAUR posted:

30k has scoring objective secured all terminator troop armies :smugdog:

…but I don’t really know why you would run one

30k is even more rule of cool than 40k imo

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
30k seems cool but jesus it's so expensive. They have "bundles" and a non-chapter specific 10 man tac squad in a rhino costs $135 before shipping.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Drake_263 posted:

Search for Oyumaru instead of instant mold, you will probably find it cheaper, instant mold is just rebranded Oyumaru as far as I know. Same applies for greenstuff and kneadatite.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Big Willy Style posted:

Search for Oyumaru instead of instant mold, you will probably find it cheaper, instant mold is just rebranded Oyumaru as far as I know. Same applies for greenstuff and kneadatite.

The best source I have found personally is etsy

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Direwolf posted:

30k seems cool but jesus it's so expensive. They have "bundles" and a non-chapter specific 10 man tac squad in a rhino costs $135 before shipping.

Just use ye old $60 GW tacticals. By some FW bits on ebay for $15. Boom.

Or just buy everything on ebay for max savings

e: one weird trick FW doesn't want you to know

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
If I take an Imperial Guard CAD as my primary detachment, is it legal to take a Nemesis Strike Force Detachment as well or would the Grey Knights have to follow the Allies detachment organization? I think it's legal, but I don't have a rulebook to check.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Forge a narrative and it's all good.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
No allies rules are true, everything is permitted.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Sir Teabag posted:

If I take an Imperial Guard CAD as my primary detachment, is it legal to take a Nemesis Strike Force Detachment as well or would the Grey Knights have to follow the Allies detachment organization? I think it's legal, but I don't have a rulebook to check.

You can. The Grey Knights detachment just won't have Objective Secured. If you want that, then they'll have to use the Allied chart and lose the turn 1 teleport power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Just use ye old $60 GW tacticals. By some FW bits on ebay for $15. Boom.

Or just buy everything on ebay for max savings

e: one weird trick FW doesn't want you to know

converting your existing 40k poo poo into 30k is the pro move

• Locked thread