Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Zombie Samurai posted:

Q. Coma:Mortuary

Man, just look at those screenshots. Dark, moody, detailed. Doesn't that look like a game you want to play? Well, you've already seen just about everything there is to see in this one. Coma casts you as a dead guy roaming the afterlife, narrating his travels in the most matter-of-fact way imaginable. You'll traipse through catacombs and dungeons and workshops and other horror standbys, always by yourself. That's right, there is NO payoff to the atmosphere. No enemies hunt you, no monsters disturb your peaceful walk. God, I can barely remember this game. There ARE enemies, a wall of darkness and some creepy lady that chase you through specific sequences. Outside of those moments it's full atmosphere with some rare switch-pulling puzzles that are hardly puzzles at all. It does have a weird, WEIRD ending that takes the story into crazypants land and promises more in the sequel, but why pay money for a boring preview where nothing not much happens?
Oh god, this game. This was another of my Steam summer sale impulse buys (it was about $.50), and I kinda don't want to give it any attention because I would hate to see someone drop $5 on it, but I really want to talk about some of the choices it made, and I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who actually sat through it.

So I like the concept and initial atmosphere. I don't mind some slow paced guided game experiences, but this one falls apart really quickly. Most of the atmosphere is due to the Unreal Development Kit, which you can see it was made with as it's prominently displayed when you start the game. The Unreal engine looks good by default, so you have to make an effort to screw that up. You can see a lot of the UDK guts poking through actually, it feels more like a mod than a full game. Additionally, a lot of the models, art and sound were free assets downloaded from the internet:

That's not necessarily the worst thing in the world, but it's really pushing it for a game you're charging money for.

Also apart from the popup scary lady that chases you through the tunnels later on, your only other company in the game is a cardboard cutout of a woman:

That's seriously a 2D sprite, it looks even worse in action.

There are technically enemies, but the first ones you run into are just confusing. You're chased by something, but since they didn't use any actual enemy models for that encounter (I think there are some static images of a group of shadowy figures that pop up behind you as you're moving, but they blink in and out of sight, so they didn't have to actually animate them) you can't really tell what you're supposed to do. If you don't figure out the right series of turns through the featureless maze-like tunnels you get chased through, you'll "die" when they catch up to you, which means you hear some sounds of people tearing at you or something and then your screen blacks out and you have to restart the area.

The levers are a buggy mess, I got stuck there and in another section because the game just would not trigger what it was supposed to and let me move to the next part. There's a part in the house you see in the screenshots where you have to pick up a set of keys, but the button doesn't like to work on the first try, and hilariously when I was sitting there hitting keys to try and get it to work it brought up the Unreal engine console which let me type in words which the text to speech would say through the speakers. I wandered around for a minute typing in "Booooo" and that was the most enjoyment I got out of the game.

For $.50, I don't care, but I wouldn't buy this game for the default price. It's something that probably shouldn't be on Steam at all, it feels like some kind of freeware mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Coma Mortuary probably would have been an alright novella (it has an actually kind of interesting cosmology going on) but it's utterly forgettable as far as games go

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

King Vidiot posted:

I kinda wonder if Code Veronica would've been better received if it controlled like Resident Evil 4 with a third-person over the shoulder camera.

It wouldn't have been a true resident evil game, and therefore would have sucked.

See: RE4 and up.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The Dregs posted:

With Halloween coming around I have been thinking of playing some horror games. I remember I tried out RE4 on the wii a few years back but never finished, partly because I dislike console gaming. It is 20 bucks on Steam, which is a pretty hefty price tag. Is it worth it?

It's not really horror though. I recently just started playing Silent Hill 3 for the first time. This is horror. Listen to these sound effects in just the first area. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0Im48hjRk RE4 is like something for babies in comparison.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Doctor Bishop posted:

This is patently false.

Nah you're just an idiot. Resident Evil 4 has tank controls but everyone praised them fixing the controls at the time despite it being the exact thing but with a different camera angle and free aim.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The ability to see what you're aiming at pretty much does fix tank controls into something usable.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It's not really horror though. I recently just started playing Silent Hill 3 for the first time. This is horror. Listen to these sound effects in just the first area. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0Im48hjRk RE4 is like something for babies in comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiDz69EqlFk

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Well, Resident Evil 4 is certainly horror themed though, so a good pick for Halloween. There's sub-genres within this genre and RE4 is definitely more on the action side. There's only a few good parts that try to scare you. The first time I played it the novistadors and regenerators were very creepy. Both it and dead space use body horror enemies but very rarely try to build up an atmosphere. The first Silent Hill scared the poo poo out of me back when I wasn't so desensitized, but SH 1-4 play terribly. The best method of going through areas is often just running past and doing figure eights around all the monstrosities. In the horror genre you often have to pick between a good game and a scary game because it's hard to have both.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Doctor Bishop posted:

Funny that when I say the PC version of Resident Evil 4 controls like rear end, everyone assumes that I played the original version. Nope, it was the HD version, and honestly, I tried playing it with both keyboard+mouse and then with my Xbox controller when the K+M didn't work worth a poo poo. Sorry, but the controls are just plain rear end-tastic, especially going into it expecting something similar to Dead Space after hearing the two games constantly being compared to one another.

This is patently false.

Un forastero! MATALO!

I've never played the pc ver but I've beaten the gc, wii, ps2, and 360 versions and it's like seriously in the top 5 games of last-last gen for me. That game is so loving good! It's a shame it's been crap RE games since. (Other than PC RE6 mercenaries that owns)

Also I finally put my money where my mouth is and am starting Outlast!

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
See, I wasn't trying to say at any point that Resident Evil 4 was a bad game, because of, y'know, that being a really subjective thing and all, but simply that it has clunky controls, which it does. I mean, tank controls are by definition slow and clunky. Ya, I'll admit that I went overboard by calling the controls rear end-tastic and all that, but frankly, that came from my frustration going into the game expecting an experience with relatively smooth and intuitive shooter-type controls (again, due to it constantly being compared to later games that do have shooter-type controls like Dead Space) and getting... what Resident Evil 4 actually is.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

31. Organ Trail: Director's Cut

Hahaha, get it? It's like Oregon Trail, but...

No, it really is Oregon Trail with zombies. But instead of being a one-note joke, Organ Trail actually improves on the original formula in significant ways. If you somehow never encountered an Apple IIe in school, the basic idea of ______ Trail games is that you have a party of 4 or so travelers on their way to a distant destination. Random things happen on the way, sometimes you get a choice to make, other times not. Settlements give you the chance to shop, barter, or scavenge for supplies. Organ Trail sets this up as you and your 4 pals escaping D.C. in a beat-up station wagon, carrying as much food, ammo, car parts, and fuel as you can. In addition to the random horrible things that happen, you'll also encounter minigames like dodging zombie deer and motorcycle gangs on the highway, or making a clutch shot to save a friend from a kidnapper. These interactive events really help break up the monotony of watching your beater roll down the highway while bad things happen to you all.

Settlements are where the game really shines, because there are a wealth of options for managing your journey. In terms of supplies alone, you can buy and sell for cash, wait for trade offers on your goods, scavenge by playing a little top-down action minigame, and do side missions (also minigames) to get paid in goods. There are additional options for managing the health of your team, for maintaining and upgrading your ride, and even learning new special skills for your player character that help in minigames. Learning how much you need of what resources and what upgrades you should spring for can take time, so be prepared to either lose a few times or start on Easy. The first time I picked this game up I got rather frustrated because my car broke down and I got trapped in a settlement with no way to repair it. But after a few more rounds I learned the power of scavenging and practiced my minigaming and now everything runs smooth... on Normal, anyway.

It's a pretty deep game for a literal Oregon Trail clone, and the zombie aspect fits the style well without being tired. There are some cute pop culture references that are clever enough not to annoy, and plenty of replay value. As long as the ultra low-res graphics and learning curve don't put you off, this is a grand little coffee break game.

32. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

I'm well-accustomed to goon hyperbole at this point, so despite the warnings I went into A Machine for Pigs with bright eyes and an open mind. And it only took about 10 minutes to crush that optimism.

The supposed sequel to The Dark Descent casts you as a Victorian-era inventor and industrialist, wandering his home in search of his rather ghostly little boys. The chase leads him into the sprawling factory complex he designed for automating the butchering of pigs. Now, Victorian horror is a rich vein to mine, and the setting of a mechanized slaughterhouse really can't be beat. So I hope you can understand the crushing disappointment that comes with seeing this setup wasted. I played for an hour and a half and nothing happened. Nothing. I wandered my mansion, I turned on some machines, I wandered a factory, I changed some fuses, I wandered outside, I tried to change a truck's battery, I quit. At no point did I encounter an enemy or anything even remotely threatening.

What I did encounter was a lot of poorly-paced jumpscares in the form of loud noises out of the blue and glimpses of scurrying NPCs. Understand that the original Amnesia did the same thing, but with a much better sense of moderation and coupled with an exceptionally strong sound design. A Machine for Pigs completely fails to build the same atmosphere, trading the mysterious whisperings and footsteps of the castle for the playful requests of ghost children (who basically exist to point you to your next objective) and awkward monologues recounting past events. Gone is the sanity system or the balancing of light and dark, along with the entire inventory system as well. You have an infinite lantern at your disposal, which you will need because the lighting in this game is a bit wonky, what with wall lamps and candles failing to cast any significant illumination. Hilariously, the game still uses the obnoxious visual sanity effects without the system... it just hits you with them at scripted points.

There might be an interesting story here, but the monologues and notes are disjointed and mostly unrelated. The attempt to write in Victorian styles also does more harm than good, making some notes near incomprehensible. In the end, there's none of the magic of Amnesia here at all. The atmosphere is botched, there's almost nothing to interact with and no reason to search the environment, and the story is poorly conveyed. I was certain there was no way A Machine for Pigs could be such a step down, but my goodness was I wrong.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Free Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs!
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=MCuzZuyeKyfbbeXV

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Snatched that up! Thanks a lot!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October FINAL CUT :spooky:

So it's done. 31 + 1 spooky games played and reviewed for the month of October, and a bunch of extra games reviewed in between. Since the Steam sale is starting tomorrow and I've covered a ton of ground, I'm going to provide a final list of everything I've reviewed, sorted by recommendation. As usual, the titles in this list will link to my reviews, and the titles within the review will link to the Steam store page.

GOOD games worth picking up:
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
4. Adventures of Shuggy
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
21. Eldritch
24. Ghost Master
25. Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut
26. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
29. Betrayer
30. Afterfall InSanity Extended Edition
31. Organ Trail: Director's Cut
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds
G. Blood
I. Anodyne
J. Vlad the Impaler

OK games you might enjoy:
3. Deadlight
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
14. Scarygirl
16. Closure
19. Ghostship Aftermath
20. Hell Yeah!
27. Paranormal State: Poison Spring
D. Haunted Memories
E. Serena
H. Shadows: Price For Our Sins
K. Doorways: Chapters 1 & 2
N. White Noise Online

BAD games you should avoid:
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)
17. Alien Breed 2: Assault
18. F.E.A.R. Online
22. The Path
23. Shadowgrounds: Survivor
28. Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween
32. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
F. The Forgotten Ones
L. The House
M. Depths of Fear :: Knossos
O. Eleusis
P. Master Reboot
Q. Coma:Mortuary
R. Montague's Mount

Let's wrap this up with the drive-in totals: 23 days elapsed, 50 games reviewed, 32 played, 12 streamed, 3 borrowed via Steam Sharing, 2 gifted, 1 bought, 16 walking sims, 3 2D walking sims, 2 free-to-play games, 4 hidden object games, 5 aliens, 5 zombies, 10 ghosts, two kinds of alien dismemberment, three kinds of mutant-bashing, vampire-staking, satyr-stabbing, corpse-roasting, statue-fu, broom-fu, color-fu, tentacle-fu, sawblade-fu, three stars, check 'em out.

Thanks for reading, and happy Halloween!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Fantastic works, Zombie Samurai! Fantastic write-ups. Inspired me to talk about Alone in the Dark, because even though I'm bad at adventure games, I love that series.

Alone in the Dark

There were earlier Survival Horror games, Haunted House and Sweet Home comes to mind, but Alone in the Dark is the one the codified most of the elements of early Survival Horror that Resident Evil then popularised, such as 3D models on 2D backgrounds, and having two characters to choose from (though rather simple in Alone in the Dark, it's just a different model).

Of course, Alone in the Dark came out in 1992, so today it looks rather dated, but the backgrounds are decent, and the atmosphere is still pretty good. It was originally supposed to be a Chaosium liscenced Call of Cthulhu game, and though it didn't end up bearing the title, it has a suitably Lovecraftian story of madness and dark pacts with ancient beings, slowly uncovered by either Private Detective Edward Carnby or the niece of the house's now deceased owner, Emily Hartwood. It controls well, especially for the time, and is one of the few games with tank controls, or classic tank controls, that feels good to me. It's on GOG with the original sequels for $6, and for that price its certainly worth a try.

Alone in the Dark 2

Alone in the Dark 2 is a strange beast. The way I've heard it, the creators didn't really realise they'd evolved the Survival Horror genre, so 2 has less of a focus on horror and more on action. Of course, there's still elements of horror, just little touches, but there's also quite a few silly elements. Where Alone in the Dark had a Lovecraftian story of creeping dread, 2 features Edward Carnby (no character choice here) looking for a kidnapped little girl and coming across a mansion filled to the brim with zombie pirate gangsters. You get tommy guns, drink, dress up as Santa Clause, kick dwarf chefs in the face and, if you turn around right at the very beginning, get murdered in a drive-by by zombie gangsters. It's not a terrible game, it has its charms, but it has its clunky and is probably the weakest game in the original trilogy.

Alone in the Dark 3

Alone in the Dark 3 is, in many ways, a return to form. Edward Carnby goes to a Western ghost town to find what happened to a missing film crew, of which Emily Hartwood from the first game is a member. Of course, upon arriving he discovers the town is haunted by ghost cowboys who have no intention of letting him, or anybody, leave. Where 2 ditched most of the horror aspects, they're back here. The jaunty music is strangely foreboding, and when you do defeat one of the cowboys they turn into a black cat and screech with a haunting yowl. The plot draws together the stories of 1 and 2 as well, and though it occasionally dips into silliness (the final boss fight for example), its a far more solid experience, with some neat sequences. Of course, it uses the same engine as the first game still, and by this time it was starting to show its age. Definitely worth a look if you liked the first one, and even if you disliked the second.

Jack in the Dark

A small puzzle game that was released as a promotion between 1 and 2, it features Grace Saunders, the little girl from 2, caught in a haunted toy store where she must rescue Santa Clause from an evil jack-in-the-box. It's not scary, it's beatable in 10 minutes, but it's a delightful little game all the same and it comes in the package from GOG, so there's no point in not messing around with it for a bit

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare

Alone in the Dark was quiet for a bit, and Resident Evil came about, and Silent Hill and a plethora of other Survival Horror games came out in its wake. Finally, Atari decided to get back into the business, and in 2001, 7 years after Alone in the Dark 3, they released The New Nightmare. It's a reboot, and brings back the character choice from the first game, either Edward Carnby or Professor Aline Cedrac as they try and discover what exactly transpired on Shadow Island. They have separate story-lines, as they get split up in the opening cutscene, and play differently, a step up from the simple model change in the first game. It plays well, if not a little derivative of Resident Evil. The graphics are much nicer, the enemies need some work to take down and it has some nice touches and references to the earlier games. It does have some annoying things though. It may just be me, but Edward Carnby's double barrelled revolver and triple barrelled shotgun piss me the gently caress off, since they use two and three ammo at a time, respectively. Why? 12 bullets is only six shots from your revolver, why not a not stupid single barrelled revolver and six bullets? I dunno, maybe it's just me. Enemies also seem to spawn, and one time I got mobbed by like, six enemies when I went through a door because they kept spawning and congregating there. It can also have some compatibility issues, but there are ways to fix it. It's not a bad game, just not great. It's also on GOG, and also Steam and Gamersgate.

Also of note, there was an apparently pretty decent Gameboy Color(!) port that actually maintained the pre-rendered background gameplay of the main version (though it goes to a top-down shooter when you encounter enemies).

Alone in the Dark (2008)

And then, in 2008, out came Alone in the Dark. No, not that one, the fifth game in the series, also title Alone in the Dark. It's also not a reboot, it's a sequel to the first trilogy (or at least the first game, it only mentions the first one), and ignored The New Nightmare. It was originally titled Alone in the Dark: Near Death Investigation, but it went through some development Hell and when it came out it was... well, we'll get to that. First off, let me compliment the music. The music is absolutely fantastic, and easily the highlight of the game. That's pretty much the only good thing I can say about it.

It's big problem is probably the ambition. The game shot for the stars and could have reached it, but fell short. It had crafting, and platforming, and open-world segments, and nice fire physics, and a health system and inventory system that took place in real-time! All done well it should have worked, but every bit was half-finished by the time it released. I played on PC, and nothing controlled well. Moving was dreadful, driving was dreadful, the physics were wonky, inventory controls were slow and janky, and I never quite got combat to feel right. It styled itself as being like a episodic series, before that was cool, so it has a "DVD-Style Chapter Select" so you'll "never get stuck again." "Everybody can reach the climax" it states. Which is a Hell of a statement as the story is nuts, but would be decent enough if the game wasn't so broken that skipping actually seemed like a good idea. Of course, when you skip you get a recap so that you don't miss any story elements, but the recaps will, almost every time, be almost exactly the same, give you the same information, and then every once in a while you'll get a new scene at the end where somebody makes a statement that should have had more explanation in the recap but didn't (poo poo you've seen before and want to skip, blah-blah-blah, "Lucius and Ferrous means Lucifer!" and now back to the game!"). There's a scene near the beginning where you're driving through New York as these evil fissures tear the city apart, but the driving and car physics are so broken that it's nearly impossible. I've heard tales of the camera getting stuck but the car continuing so there's no choice but to die and start over. And start over you will! This entire section has no checkpoints. Zero. None. Zip. And you will die over and over again.

Interestingly, at release there was no PS3 version. That came later, called Alone in the Dark: Inferno, and was by all accounts much improved (though if it's actually good is up for debate, at least it's not the PC/360 or, God forbid, PS2/Wii versions that I hear are even worse). It fixed a lot of the physics, fixed a lot of the bugs, made going into the inventory pause (making things much more convenient), added some more sections, added checkpoints to the awful driving section mentioned above, and just generally gave the game some polish that it really needed. Of course, then Atari said that they planned to patch the PC/360 version to be the Inferno version. Then they said, well, only if Inferno sells well. Then supposedly the patch was too big for Microsoft to release it as a patch, so it was quietly cancelled. Then after a bunch of bitching Atari closed the Alone in the Dark section on their forums. Customer Service. If you're going to subject yourself to this game, do try to get Inferno. If, for whatever reason, you decide you need it on PC, it's on Steam and Gamersgate.

Alone in the Dark: Illumination

Recently announced, Illumination just showed up on Steam for pre-order. They haven't shown any gameplay videos, released one teaser trailer, two or three in-game shots, and several enviroment shots, but that's it. It's going to feature the grandson of Edward Carnby, the granddaughter of Emily Hartwood (now a witch), a priest and an engineer, and going to have some form of co-op play (they've been focusing on it on their website, but they've also said it might not be ready for release, and if so it'll come in a patch). Just about everything makes me nervous about it, but God help me, I an seriously thinking about pre-ordering. My love for the series is undiminished, apparently. It's supposed to come out "Fall 2014." Atari's not doing a good job promoting it.

Man, there's something missing here. Of course! The movie! It sucks. So hard. It is an absolutely dreadful movie loosely based on The New Nightmare. There was a sequel that I hear is better, but that's not exactly a high bar to cross and doesn't mean it's anywhere near good.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

How's The Evil Within on PC (if anyone has it)? I read somewhere that the specs were absurd due to a poorly optimized port, but I haven't really looked into it that much.

Is it worth getting if I enjoyed Dead Space, Silent Hills 1-5, etc?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I played Alone in the Dark on PS3, and actually thought it wasn't terrible. It felt like a strong B-movie-style game trying to be more, but failing. Some cool ideas, and some parts, like the aforementioned driving through a crumbling city, are actually pretty cool (though it seems like many of the issues people had with these parts were fixed, so I can't comment what it was like before). The close-your-eyes mechanic was original, the fire was cool, and of course "I'M THE loving UNIVERSE!" is probably the best line uttered in any horror game ever.

Thought the inventory system was neat as well, another thing where the idea was better than the implementation (which explains much of this game).

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Flubby posted:

The first Silent Hill scared the poo poo out of me back when I wasn't so desensitized, but SH 1-4 play terribly. The best method of going through areas is often just running past and doing figure eights around all the monstrosities.

Still better than just shooting one villager/zombie in the head after another over and over again with infinite ammo.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I liked A Machine For Pigs :smithmouth:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

I liked A Machine For Pigs :smithmouth:

And there's nothing wrong with that! It's basically the best of the indie spooky walking simulator crowd. The problem is that, coming as the follow-up to The Dark Descent, it had a much higher bar to clear in terms of content and quality. The first Amnesia had the intriguing sanity system, an inventory full of items to find and manage, and a boatload of interactables in the environment. For the second game in the series to step back from all that is a huge disappointment. On top of that, it really does nothing to stand out from the sea of walking simulators aside from its setting and its degree of polish.

It's not really a bad game, it's just a terribly disappointing one given its pedigree.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Zombie Samurai posted:

And there's nothing wrong with that!

...Actually, after reading this interview with the writer, I'm not so sure anymore.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Morpheus posted:

I played Alone in the Dark on PS3, and actually thought it wasn't terrible. It felt like a strong B-movie-style game trying to be more, but failing. Some cool ideas, and some parts, like the aforementioned driving through a crumbling city, are actually pretty cool (though it seems like many of the issues people had with these parts were fixed, so I can't comment what it was like before). The close-your-eyes mechanic was original, the fire was cool, and of course "I'M THE loving UNIVERSE!" is probably the best line uttered in any horror game ever.

I don't know, telling some eldritch beast possessing a corpse "I don't have your stone, and gently caress YOU anyways!" is good too. Alone in the 2008 Dark had the best lines.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I played the PS3 version of Alone in the Dark and while the story was poo poo and some gameplay segments were bad it wasn't completely broken or anything.

The free roaming Central Park section was actually cool as hell. If they had stuck to that and discarded all of the driving and QTE and linear platforming segments leading up to Central Park people probably would have actually liked the game.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Zombie Samurai posted:

And there's nothing wrong with that! It's basically the best of the indie spooky walking simulator crowd. The problem is that, coming as the follow-up to The Dark Descent, it had a much higher bar to clear in terms of content and quality. The first Amnesia had the intriguing sanity system, an inventory full of items to find and manage, and a boatload of interactables in the environment. For the second game in the series to step back from all that is a huge disappointment. On top of that, it really does nothing to stand out from the sea of walking simulators aside from its setting and its degree of polish.

It's not really a bad game, it's just a terribly disappointing one given its pedigree.

I actually preferred the game not having an inventory or sanity system. I agree that the environment being static and far less interactible was a big letdown though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

...Actually, after reading this interview with the writer, I'm not so sure anymore.

I want to believe he minced his words, that he wasn't trying to draw the conclusion that Hitler, Stalin, and Apartheid were about making hard choices or discriminate killing to save people. Maybe he meant "I want to question what goes behind the mind of Hitler/Stalin."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh man, all you people who played the PS3 version are making me jealous. I'm glad to hear it is actually much better though, and yes, the story isn't great but the delivery on... well, a lot of Carnby's lines were amazing. Some day I'll get a PS3 and be able to play an Alone in the Dark 5 that doesn't make me hate everything.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Haha I only just now looked at "Oswald Mandus" and realized they must have been going for an awful pun with "Ozzie Mandus" => Ozymandias. I think that might be even more offensive, to me.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

King of Bleh posted:

Haha I only just now looked at "Oswald Mandus" and realized they must have been going for an awful pun with "Ozzie Mandus" => Ozymandias. I think that might be even more offensive, to me.

References to pharaohs bug you?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Sad Mammal posted:

References to pharaohs bug you?

The poem by Shelley is the more likely reference.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

mysterious frankie posted:

The poem by Shelley is the more likely reference.
It's been the only reason anyone uses the name at all for the last 200 years.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

various cheeses posted:

How's The Evil Within on PC (if anyone has it)? I read somewhere that the specs were absurd due to a poorly optimized port, but I haven't really looked into it that much.

Is it worth getting if I enjoyed Dead Space, Silent Hills 1-5, etc?

It's the best version if the game if you have a beefy computer but it's also unplayable if you don't exceed the recommended specs.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm real irritated The Void and Knock-Knock aren't included in the spooky sale. I already own Knock-Knock but more people need to play it and I wanted to get my hands on the Void.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sharzak posted:

I'm real irritated The Void and Knock-Knock aren't included in the spooky sale. I already own Knock-Knock but more people need to play it and I wanted to get my hands on the Void.
GamersGate has it for 4$.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sharzak posted:

Knock Knock is in the humble weekly sale too

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Sharzak posted:

I'm seeing the Void as 75% off. http://store.steampowered.com/app/37000/

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Any recommendations from the Steam sale?

Pretty disappointed that The Evil Within and Alien: Isolation aren't actually on sale. :sigh:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've been replaying RE4 and something terrible happened. I got to the first area with dudes in it, and I spent too long looking around and eventually the bell rang and they all went inside the church. I couldn't believe it! My memory of this section was finding the shotgun and getting brutally loving murdered by a massive onslaught of fuckers who I could barely hold off until the bell rang and they all went inside the church. It was a great intro to the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's funny. I remember the whole thing being timed, but I didn't realize it could trigger without you starting combat. Even better because it's Ada ringing the things, which she only does because she sees Leon getting smacked by Ganados.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ha, I knew you can get through the whole section without fighting Dr. Salvador by not running into the house because I actually did that. Didn't know that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Any recommendations from the Steam sale?

Pretty disappointed that The Evil Within and Alien: Isolation aren't actually on sale. :sigh:
Yeah I'd imagine sales for those are doing just fine at full retail so it will probably be a while. At least I feel better for already buying Alien: Isolation anyway.

Neverending Nightmares is on sale for $11.25, it's gotten flack for its short length and lack of traditional gameplay but I love it, it's the most unique horror game I've played in a long while.