Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Dale could have made this season amazing if he turned to Jon on the way out and said "No hard feelings. Here's my idol, good luck."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012

mancalamania posted:

Dale could have made this season amazing if he turned to Jon on the way out and said "No hard feelings. Here's my idol, good luck."

Unless Jon is really dumb, he should have realized that Dale's offer made no sense and that the idol was fake.

(Who am I kidding. It would have worked and been amazing.)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So I skipped this episode because I realized I just don't care. Did anything happen to make me change my mind? I've seen every season but Fiji and this is the first time I ever just looked at the the clock and said "eh."

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I wouldn't say it was a great episode, but you get:
a) rice trade
b) Dale's fake idol
c) hint on the assumed quit coming up
d) kind of significant info on some alliances that might take shape post-merge

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Robnoxious posted:

I can not stand Missy and Baylor are just failing forward through this game.

Me neither. It's also pretty heavily implied that Missy was the one going through the rice so quickly.

also: 46 posts? Can't tell if reality TV is dying, or SA.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

So team gets a bunch of rewards and immunities by eating all their rice. As punishment they... lose their rewards, but their advantage (they're still in the game) remains... And they get a ton of rice to over eat.

They should have torn down their shelter, or make them forfeit the reward challenge or something.

If that is the standard punishment for running out of food, it's worth it to run out of food.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 30, 2014

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

So team gets a bunch of rewards and immunities by eating all their rice. As punishment they... lose their rewards, but their advantage (they're still in the game) remains... And they get a ton of rice to over eat.

They should have torn down their shelter, or make them forfeit the reward challenge or something.
I was waiting for Jeff to tell them to tear down their shelter.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Man oh man, I wish Jon had taken the bait and tried to play his fake idol way down the line.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

paperchaseguy posted:

Me neither. It's also pretty heavily implied that Missy was the one going through the rice so quickly.

also: 46 posts? Can't tell if reality TV is dying, or SA.

I thought everyone was kind of hinting around that Drew was the big one pushing it, but yeah you got the sense Missy was part of it from her confrontation with Dale.

Then again, they're all complicit so looking for the person to blame seems like letting the rest off the hook. I kind of wanted Jeff to rip into Reed when he gave his "you know it's a mistake but you keep your mouth shut for the game" excuse because it came off like him trying to pass the blame. Dude, your whole tribe hosed up. Arguing over food and shelter may be one of the things that gets you in trouble but it's also one of the things you fight over because it's important.

I thought losing the tarp was huge but the rest was salvageable. I don't think jeff could have asked for more without it being over the top and someone refusing or complaining. There's no loving way I would have okayed going to Tribal for rice. I actually totally agree with Jeremy on this. They didn't even wait until they were hungry. If they had said nothing to Jeff they would have won the kabobs and then merged and probably would have never even gone to bed hungry one night. It might not have played out that way but I would have at least waited until the day I was out of food to bring it up. That looming merge is just too tempting of a save.

I hope Jeremy rants about it in his over the top emotional way next week.

And throw me into the group who doesn't enjoy watching Missy get her way. I don't overly mind Baylor (although she's slightly ridiculous) but something about her mom bugs me. I don't much like Dale either but I was rooting for him to win that round. I think Jon and Jaclyn made the right call because burning people for a possibly fake idol that you're not guaranteed to get is just too much of a risk this early in the game. Don't make new enemies based on promises from old ones. But I wanted it to work.

Dale probably could have saved himself if he had put the vote on Keith. I get why he targeted Missy but I think it was trying for too much when he had no leverage at all except Jon's gullibility.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Keith after the merge is going to be in a good spot, back with his son and an idol no one knows about. Missy seemed to like him, and he might hook up with Jeremy and Kelly.

Watch him tell Wes about the idol who then blabs it

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I feel like the smart move for Dale with his fake idol would have been to dramatically bring it out of the bag during tribal council and put it around his neck, saying "Well, Jeff, I decided I wanted to guarantee that I won't be going home tonight!", forcing the remaining tribe to decide what to do on the spot. Perhaps they buy into the fact that it's real and don't even vote for him? Of course, Keith has an idol, but Dale doesn't know that and does Keith then speak up and reveal he has one?

Genetic squares
Feb 17, 2009

It's all going square
Kelly said on her exit interview on RHAP that it was Missy using up all the rice. Rest of the interview was pretty good too she could have been a decent player I think without her father.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

This was a fairly boring episode, but I'll always treasure Alec telling us he's a meat collector :allears:

Jeremy's on notice for me because of his tsk-tsking the gays showing affection. That seemed icky to me.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 30, 2014

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Pinterest Mom posted:

This was a fairly boring episode, but I'll always treasure Alec telling us he's a meat collector :allears:

Jeremy's on notice for me because of his tsk-tsking the gays showing affection. That seemed icky to me.

Not fully sure if I'm getting what you're saying but I did have some thoughts on that part of the episode too.

Yeah I am guilty of putting up red flags for any sort of (in Jeremy's words) homosexual remarks, (and by that I mean potentially homophobic). In this case I thought about it and realized he's just kidding himself, I highly doubt him and Val would play the game as if they didn't even like each other, and that wouldn't even work anyway. The fact that he said, "That's what you're supposed to do," was especially dumb because he was speaking as though he was an expert at Survivor, of which this season contains exactly zero, so you know his statement was false and dumb.

He didn't say anything specific about how he disliked them being lovey dovey aside from it showing their full devotion to each other in the game (as in a locked alliance of 2) but like I said, even if they pretended they weren't even that close it's bullshit, everyone knows the loved ones are a fully locked pair and the only way to break it was how the last BvW season went where the woman who hated Shambo in the best season ever had her daughter actually vote her out to prove to her new alliance she wasn't about loved one pairs. There is no loving way I'd believe Jeremy if he said he would vote out Val.

In short I'd say Jeremy is salty he hasn't had much power this whole game and is projecting that onto most of the other players and almost everything they do, not that he isn't right sometimes (the rice trade was SO dumb! Merge in 3 days I mean COME ON!) but mostly he's just bitching and whining at the confessional cameraman from what I can tell and doesn't have anything noteworthy to contribute, and that includes saying something homosexual.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

We almost got the white guy winning the challenge due to superior rhythm, but Missy hosed that up.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Danzel Glovington posted:

Not fully sure if I'm getting what you're saying but I did have some thoughts on that part of the episode too.

To elaborate: a lot of homophobia and denying LGBT people access to public spaces comes in the form of concern trolling. "I'm not saying I'm bothered by gay PDAs, I'm just telling you that maybe you should be careful because other people might be bothered", or "I'm fine with you being gay, but it would really kill your grandfather so I'd prefer you not come out to the extended family right now". Jeremy's comments raised that kind of red flag for me. "Josh and Reed are making out, and it bothers be because it's bad for their game (even though I'm not aligned with them, even though every single thinking person already knows that they're aligned)" reads to me as a really dishonest attempt to find an excuse to say "it bothers me that Josh and Reed are affectionate towards one another" without sounding homophobic.

e: V Maybe! I'm sensitive to it though~

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 30, 2014

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Personally I think Jeremy would have had the same reaction if Jon and Jaclyn had been doing the exact same thing.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtLx_St4nck

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
I mean, maybe it's just me but I didn't think his issue was at all about it being two gay guys showing a lot of affection. I took it as it bothered him because they were the only pair on the tribe and they were showing lots of affection while everyone else on the tribe either was split from their loved one or already had them voted out of the game.

It was more of a "I'm annoyed that I constantly have to watch how happy they are to be playing together when I don't have that option because some of these people already got rid of my wife" and that he would have felt that way regardless of if it was a gay or straight couple.

At least I could see myself feeling that way in his position, but maybe he was just being homophobic and I didn't read into it that way.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Juanito posted:

Personally I think Jeremy would have had the same reaction if Jon and Jaclyn had been doing the exact same thing.

Yup. When he first started talking I very briefly felt the other way, but before he was finished this is how I felt about it.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

yeah, again not to belittle anyone that might be seeing it as an offensive stance against homosexuals that Jeremy might have, I never meant to down play the possibility even though I made some jokes that might seem that way. I just honestly think he's all good with it, (he does have a gay brother after all).

I have dealt with this specific bigotry in my own life with my own family too and although I don't wish to post details, I will say I can usually decipher when people are earnestly against my lifestyle choices, and when they are simply concerned for other reasons.

Of course throwing people into a competitive game-show environment changes things a lot, so I'm continuing to give Jeremy the benefit of the doubt. His remarks however do show signs of being bad at Survivor and I don't think he will be able to break up the Josh/Reed pact without some big time grade A kick rear end moves coming up soon with the merge coming, he might have his chance, but we'll see

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Juanito posted:

This. Because Jon and Jaclyn were making me sick the other week, and PDA is really unnecessary especially when you are the only couple around and these people are stuck there with you.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I'm a bit surprised at the Dale vote, but options were limited. I'd have thought that at least one of the couples would have floated breaking up the other couple before the merge. There are too many singles for any couple to feel good.

It's also somewhat amusing that BvW throws PDA rules of thumb out the window. If these people didn't have a pre-existing relationship, the PDA/relationship would be make them a huge huge target, but it's not here. I guess because everyone came into the game with a loved one? Still, if I were one of the two dating couples remaining I'd try real hard to reign it in considering that the more attention you put on the connection with another person, the bigger problem that becomes for others.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
I didn't think Jeremy had any bad intentions, and the show pointed out the same thing about Jon and Jaclyn as Juanito said. This is pretty pro click about the whole situation:

also there was a straight couple constantly doing PDA on my hour long flight today and it got old quick.

eta: I was just thinking about making it to FTC, and how the singles have an incentive to vote off ALL the couples prior to FTC, because they would have an ironclad jury vote.

And then I thought: what if a couple got to the final four, and one of them voted off the other in order to lock down a jury vote.

And then: what if they already planned this :vince:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Factor Mystic posted:

I'm a bit surprised at the Dale vote, but options were limited. I'd have thought that at least one of the couples would have floated breaking up the other couple before the merge. There are too many singles for any couple to feel good.

Couples are going to be a huge target after the merge. The less couples that are around, the lower the chances are that your couple is going to get targeted.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dale managed to work his way out of and then back into an impossible position over the course of like half an hour.

He gets the biggest idiot in the alliance to think he has an idol and will definitely play it, he goes back to his alliance and tells them, they decide to vote for Keith instead. All he had to do was shut the gently caress up and everything would have been fine.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It would have always been a split vote, they would have Dale burn his "idol" then get him out next

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I didn't read any homophobia into Jeremy's dislike for the PDA. I just agree that he's salty about the tribe swap flipping his fortunes around and he's super worried about Reed betraying the old blue tribe for Josh and the yellow guys. And he's really pretty spot on, I think. Jeremy has good instincts and a good read on people. He's just overly emotional which is why he's getting so bent out of shape about it. But he's totally right. In any other season two people kissing and cuddling would make them massive targets so its a little weird that these Blood vs Water couples aren't a little more careful about "flaunting" it, especially in front of people who have lost their loved ones to the game.

Of course there COULD be more to it than that for Jeremy but I haven't seen any signs of that in him so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he's just pissed about the way his game has gone and misses his wife. And he's right. Josh/Reed could destroy Jeremy's game.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I didn't read any homophobia into Jeremy's dislike for the PDA. I just agree that he's salty about the tribe swap flipping his fortunes around and he's super worried about Reed betraying the old blue tribe for Josh and the yellow guys. And he's really pretty spot on, I think. Jeremy has good instincts and a good read on people. He's just overly emotional which is why he's getting so bent out of shape about it. But he's totally right. In any other season two people kissing and cuddling would make them massive targets so its a little weird that these Blood vs Water couples aren't a little more careful about "flaunting" it, especially in front of people who have lost their loved ones to the game.

Of course there COULD be more to it than that for Jeremy but I haven't seen any signs of that in him so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he's just pissed about the way his game has gone and misses his wife. And he's right. Josh/Reed could destroy Jeremy's game.

I didn't either. As a gay guy I was just dreading when they were going to make an issue out of it, but that never really happened. Granted, it hasn't endeared me to Jeremy at all as he stomps around, grumbling about his lack of power.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Ghostpilot posted:

I didn't either. As a gay guy I was just dreading when they were going to make an issue out of it, but that never really happened. Granted, it hasn't endeared me to Jeremy at all as he stomps around, grumbling about his lack of power.

Agreed. If it actually was an issue they'd have played it up as much as possible.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Someone else asked this question earlier, but it wasn't answered and I'm wondering the same thing.

From my perspective, a fake idol gambit should never, ever work because every real hidden immunity idol comes with a scroll. Why don't people ever ask to see the scroll? Do the producers take the scroll away after it's found? Is there a rule effecting this?

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Huge Liability posted:

Someone else asked this question earlier, but it wasn't answered and I'm wondering the same thing.

From my perspective, a fake idol gambit should never, ever work because every real hidden immunity idol comes with a scroll. Why don't people ever ask to see the scroll? Do the producers take the scroll away after it's found? Is there a rule effecting this?

Are you required to keep the scroll with the idol? Because that's just more bulk to keep hidden. If I found a real idol, I'd probably burn the scroll before it even occurred to me that someone would want to see it as proof my idol is real.

edit: obviously I wouldn't find a fake idol. That would be embarrassing.

TMMadman posted:

Now I kind of want to see someone find a HII then make a fake one and put it back in the same spot with the note from the real idol.

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 31, 2014

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Are you required to keep the scroll with the idol? Because that's just more bulk to keep hidden. If I found a real idol, I'd probably burn the scroll before it even occurred to me that someone would want to see it as proof my idol is real.

edit: obviously I wouldn't find a fake idol. That would be embarrassing.

Now I kind of want to see someone find a HII then make a fake one and put it back in the same spot with the note from the real idol.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

TMMadman posted:

'if anyone has the hidden immunity Idol and wants to play it, now would be the time to do so.'
*Drew reaches into his bag and pulls out Keith's fire-hardened excrement attached to a string*
'Jeff I don't need this so I'm going to give it to Jon'
'Umm is that poo poo? '
' Naw man, it's the Idol. Take a look and sniff if you don't believe me'

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Huge Liability posted:

I think this is exactly why fake Idols were so much more common when the Idol was first introduced. There were 3 or 4 different fake idols played in seasons 15-17 and then pretty much nothing after, probably because players got wise enough to look for the scroll.

Based on those seasons, the rules are probably that you can't hide a fake idol with the real scroll, though I think you can use the cloth its wrapped in and other show props.

EDIT: In terms of idol bluffing, I think the only time it makes sense is if you are just trying to survive one more week and don't mind an ally getting sent home. Then your idol bluff might get the majority alliance to split the vote between you and Ally A, and if you are wise and vote for Ally A too that might be enough to send Ally A home. Even then, you need to make sure the majority alliance isn't so big that they can afford to split votes and still put the vast majority on you.

Even though the editing framed it otherwise, for this reason I think Val's idol bluff was actually a much more sensical play than Dale's. Val actually tried to take advantage of the vote split, and only lost because Josh double-checked the math moments before Tribal. Dale didn't even seem to factor in a vote split in his plan.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 31, 2014

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Agreed. If it actually was an issue they'd have played it up as much as possible.

This is pretty much the best evidence. They would play up any potentially divisive opinion to the greatest degree possible, so if that's the best they've got, it's probably safe to say the dude isn't a raging homophobe.

I do think he is getting closer to just melting down every week though, kind of disappointing because he seemed to have one of the better heads for the game the first few weeks.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

mancalamania posted:

Even though the editing framed it otherwise, for this reason I think Val's idol bluff was actually a much more sensical play than Dale's. Val actually tried to take advantage of the vote split, and only lost because Josh double-checked the math moments before Tribal. Dale didn't even seem to factor in a vote split in his plan.

The math worked fine, if they didn't care about Baylor going home. And most of the guys didn't care, they just preferred Val. The numbers were fine if, as Josh said, no one told Val/Jac. What actually happened was Josh caught wise to Rocker revealing the plan and changed his vote to protect Baylor.

Val's bluff sucked because she could have gone places with it, like using Rocker's earnestness against him, but instead believed she had really sold some highly improbable thing. She didn't and went home, because claiming two idols was really see through. Any traction it had came from people being overzealous in safe guarding against it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I thought Dale did the best with what he could. I think the only thing he really could have done was go to Jon and say "look, I know that you still probably need to split the vote to save face, but if you could split it toward Keith, then you get an idol out of it." It was a decent shot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Dale's only real misstep this week was targeting Missy. If he had just been good with Keith going then Jon might have been willing to convince Missy and Baylor to go that way and avoid the idol. I get why he went after Missy but I think it was pushing a little too far considering he was bluffing. Then again he kind of created this mess by making such a divide between him and Kelly and Missy/Baylor last week.

TMMadman posted:

I could swear someone did this before. I want to say Yau Man? Awesome, awesome Yau Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Bummed out about losing Dale. Bummed out that Missy and Baylor are getting the long-term player edit. They are my villains this season.

Rooting for Josh, Wes and Keith, honestly. Wes isn't getting much airtime, so I doubt he'll last though.

• Locked thread