Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bland because I find it bland lack of fluff and descriptions is probably the reason there. The Races part I find rather terrible because along with being bland from lack of details there is nothing to different them other then a single trait which is generally not very good or interesting.

Fair enough if you take the document in a vacuum. If I read the document right, it's currently intended to be a list of changes from the existing 5e PHB and that's why it doesn't have fluff at all.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also please stop undermining every post I make. No one else had to explain their posts.

Notice how nobody else just posts "x is good/bad", they post reasons they think so? That's why I don't "undermine their posts" by asking them to explain why they think x is good or bad. You posted that something someone has written was simple, bland, terrible, and also had some good ideas. You didn't say why you thought it was bad or talk about what you did like. If you want to discuss things, be prepared to discuss them.

MonsterEnvy posted:

On the later part I was comparing it to other D&D Systems which is primarily what it matters in the face of. I have no played enough of other systems to really compare them.

I agree with you. 5e's character creation is currently simpler than 4e or 3.5e. "Compared to other D&D versions..." does not appear in the post I was responding to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So let me get this straight.

Mountain Dwarves get proficiency with Light and Medium armor, battleaxe, handaxe, throwing hammer, and warhammer.
They also get +2 STR and +2 CON

What class that wants a +2 STR and +2 CON doesn't have all those loving proficiencies already anyway?

edit: Wait, I think I figured it out. All dwarves are designed to make Clerics better fighters than Fighters.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 30, 2014

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Dungeonscape has been canned: http://www.trapdoortechnologies.com/dungeonscape/

How was the beta looking, anyone who was involved?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

xiw posted:

Holy poo poo, really? That's... Wow.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How is damage-per-round calculated to factor in chance-to-hit? Do you just multiply the average damage-per-hit by the chance-to-hit? That is, 1d20+2 has a 55% chance to roll 12 or better, so does that mean 1d10+2 damage would come out to [7.5 average damage * 55% chance-to-hit] = 4.125 DPR?

I ask because I'm trying to establish my own guidelines to building monsters and setting their HP and AC to last x many rounds because of z DPR by y number of players seems to be a starting point, or am I missing something?

Sanglorian posted:

Alright folks, I decided to do something about finding 5E character creation such a slog:

The first draft of Microlite5E.

Partly, the aim is to reduce the complexity of the resulting characters, but it's mostly about narrowing the player's decisions during character creation to the most meaningful and dramatic. It keeps all class features, but simplifies weapon and armour choices, replaces skills with broader proficiencies, reduces races to a single feature, and uses ability modifiers (no scores). Also, proficiency in a save only makes a +2 difference at any level, rather than the potential +6 gap.

Please let me know what you think.

I like it. I'm a huge fan of Robin Stacey's Microlites and of broad, non-specific skills in general.

I usually end up rewriting whole sections of rules for my own reference just so they'd get to the point sooner, and minus all the fluff, so the straightforwardness of this approach appeals to me.

If I were to make a suggestion, I'd suggest a section where you show how to fill out the character following those same steps, one at a time.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Holy poo poo, really? That's... Wow.

So uh, what online support is there for 5e then? Because besides that app they didn't have another CB or Compendium, did they?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

It was poo poo. Buttons not working, "initializing" dialogue that never went away, unintuiive... Not surprising in the least.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Wizards of the Coast's total incompetence regarding technology has never not been baffling.

EDIT: Remember the time they were featured in The Daily WTF? http://thedailywtf.com/articles/Do-You-Believe-In-Magic-Online

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 30, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

xiw posted:

It was poo poo, and I'm glad someone with the power to tell them to stop being poo poo noticed how poo poo it was.

AlphaDog posted:

Dungeonscape trip report: It was a lot of pages of clicking to generate a lot of pages of stuff which I guess you could use to play D&D if you were a masochist.

Part the first: Getting to the character sheet screen

1: Where to click on the blank screen I'm shown after logon is slightly unclear. Is it the cog icon? Is it "character" down the bottom? Nope, it's "Choose a character" at the top, which doesn't look like a button, but a heading.

2: Race select screen lists size and speed, but not stat bonuses.

3: Class select screen is about what you'd expect, a pic of a dude and the blurb from the start ofthe class description.

4: "Roll ability scores" is the default screen. "Buy ability scores" is secondary. I mean OF COURSE you're not going to just click "roll" until you get a good set. The text box on the bottom left of the ability score screen DOES contain the racial ability score increase, and this is NOT reflected in the scores it shows me at the top of the screen, although the box does explicitly tell me this is the case in text that runs out of the bottom of the box.

5: Background has titles and descriptions, no mention of mechanics or indeed description of what I'm actually getting by selecting it.

6: Personality characteristics screen: It's possible to scroll off the top of the screen leaving the list blank. "Ideals" does contain the mechanical effect (ie, alignment).

7: Starting wealth/equipment screen. I get to see what gear I got from what I've selected 2 major screens ago with Backgrounds. Otherwise it seems fine. Or else I can "choose starting wealth", but it's not clear that it's an either/or proposition. Clicking "next" here gives me a "Choose one: Martial melee weapons" popup with no stats or information about any of the weapons.

8: Now I'm asked to describe my character... I can roll for height and weight and choose my alignment from a dropdown box. You can enter literally anything in the other boxes, even the one for age. The alignment dropdown appears to be an empty black box, but moving the cursor over it lights up the alignments line by line.

9: It's not clear what's going on on this screen. One the left side I'm asked to tick a box for Proficiency: <Smith's Tools, Brewer's Supplies, Mason's Tools> and the right side describes those tools and what a proficiency is. The tools come with a GP value and weight, but it's unclear if I'm getting them now or if I'll have to buy them later.

10: Now I can choose a fighting style with absolutely zero indication of what that is or does. It's literally just a list of fighting styles on the screen. There's a space to the right that's big and blank, as if there should be text there. There is no text there.

11: This screen looks the same but lists Skills instead of Fighting Styles. The big area on the right DOES have skill descriptions. However, I clicked "Next" on the previous screen without really looking at what I'd chosen and now the "Previous" button isn't doing anything, so I'm not sure what kind of fighter I am and I have no way to check.

12: Finally, a character sheet. Wait, this doesn't have much of the info I just entered... how do I page though it? I can either click the tiny tiny dots under the centre column or I can move my mouse or the side of the reddish area and an arrow appears. Groovy. I'll now go through this page by page.

Part the Second: The six page layout clusterfuck Character Sheet

Page 1:

On the left, an illustration. It's OK, I guess. I'm not sure if I can upload my own or if I'm stuck with these. Briefly clicking around makes it seem like these are it.

In the middle, my stats, level, and xp. Clicking on each stats brings up base and final values, although I'm not sure what that is. Clicking on my Con shows that there's a "user adjustment" of +4 although I'm now not sure where that came from.

On the right, all the things I chose in part 8. I wrote "Eleventy One" in the "age" box, and it's parsed that to "0", so that's nice. Clicking on any of these things brings up a SUPER HELPFUL popup in the middle of the screen that says, for instance, "HAIR, The character's hair color. Cancel/Accept". I now realise that's what happens if I click on the word "hair", but if I click on what I wrote for that answer, there's a popup where I can change it.

Page 2:

On the left, Attacks and Proficiencies. The Attacks part seems fine. It's got he weapon name and then the to hit adjustment and the damage. Clicking on the weapon name brings up detailed info. including where the numbers come from. Clicking on the numbers themselves does nothing. I appear to have gained proficiency in all three trade tools, although I only selected Mason.

In the middle, confusingly labelled "attributes", are my AC, speed, initiative, HP, etc. TO adjust my CURRENT HP, I'd have to click it to open a popup, enter the numer of damage/healing I've just taken in a box, click the +/- thing until correct, then hit Accept. It's clunky and would be super annoying during play.

On the right, Saving Throws. Clicking on them lets me adjust them, but I'm not sure why.

Page 3:

On the left, Skills. These default to showing "All". There's a dropdown box so I can change that to "proficient", but the box is blacked out again like the Alignment one was. I can still use it, but eh.

In the middle, Class Features. I chose Fighter. It shows I have a Second Wind and that my Fighting Style was Archery, which I'd forgotten about not remembering. I can't change it from here, but a helpful popup tells me what it does and that the +1 is "already included in calculations". It doesn't say WHICH calculations, although I guess it's pretty obvious.

On the right, Racial traits. Helpful popups to describe them, but text from all of those would fit in the vast amount of blank space that is the red background of the character sheet (which takes up maybe a quarter of my screen... seriously, there's a lot of blank space here).

Page 4:

Spells. Slots on the left (I have none), a blank heading "spellcasting" in the middle, a list of ALL SPELLS (not actuall all spells) on the right. I guess this page does something if you did not CHOOSE POORLY way back on the class screen.

Page 5:

Equipment! All my gear on the left. Turns out I didn't get ANY tools. I got pitons though. Sweet.

In the middle, a blank 3-slot list of attuned magic items. Clicking "Attune" does nothing. Clicking "add" eventually brings up a list of magic items, with a "view cart" button at the bottom. There is no mention of what this stuff actually DOES, but since most of it is "Longsword +1" it probably doesn't matter much.

On the right, treasure. To adjust the number of coins you have, again you need to click the value, enter the new value into the popup, then click accept. Clunky but consistent with the other clunky stuff.

Page 6:

Background on the left. The poo poo I chose from the lists doesn't even fit in the boxes. There's a checkbox here for Inspiration.

The rest of the page is blank, with a section to enter "Notes". I mean COME THE gently caress ON, the poo poo I picked FROM THE LISTS of personality traits doesn't fit in the goddamn box on the left and the WHOLE REST OF THE SCREEN might as well read "this space intentionally left blank".

Conclusion

Using this in a game would be a goddamn nightmare and I'm not even surprised.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Did they actually confirm a cancellation? Or is the project just going to someone else or something?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

S.J. posted:

Did they actually confirm a cancellation? Or is the project just going to someone else or something?

Wizards dumped Trapdoor, Trapdoor says they're still working on DungeonScape. I think what happens next is going to be based entirely on what Wizards ever even owned, exactly. Trapdoor says that they paid for the whole project themselves, so I'm not even sure why Wizards is dumping them if they won't even have an alternative yet (and never will, because it's Wizards). It's lovely software but it's also free software.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

The changelog was pretty funny (in a sad, depressing way)

android beta log posted:

Please Test:
General player-based functionality (i.e. does the app enable you to play a character effectively in a fifth edition game?)
Known Issues (Not ready for feedback/bugs):
Adventure/Campaign Modules
Party Module
Forge Module
Home Module
Badges and Certs
Library Module
Character Creation
Simple Creation
Quick Build
Character Sheet Features:
Multiclassing
Single Page View
Character Sheet Exporting
Macro-mode
Equipment options for backgrounds
Character sheet widget for animal companions/mounts and/or vehicles
General Performance

Known Issues:
General Performance

Also, character creation was literally the only thing in the android beta, so I don't really get why it wasn't ready for feedback.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Please test: all of it. Known issues: all of it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

From that announcement, it sounds like Wizards noticed that Trapdoor spent months producing something that looks like it was done in an afternoon and dumped them in favour of a non-poo poo company (or potentially the work experience kid produced something better in a week of lunch breaks).

mirthdefect posted:

Is this better than an excel spreadsheet you made for yourself in 20 minutes Y/N.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

From that announcement, it sounds like Wizards noticed that Trapdoor spent months producing something that looks like it was done in an afternoon and dumped them in favour of a non-poo poo company (or potentially the work experience kid produced something better in a week of lunch breaks).

I get that, but why not wait until the new thing is done since it doesn't seem to have costed them anything?

Holy poo poo even the technology situation is now exactly like 3rd ed.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

I get that, but why not wait until the new thing is done since it doesn't seem to have costed them anything?

I'm guessing that it was so obviously and irrevocably terrible that they didn't even want to be associated with it.

More likely, they know exactly what happens when a bunch of incompetent shitheads tells you to wait and seeTM if the final product is actually better than the demo.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Can't you write code in something that compiles on both iOS and Android? Like maybe the login interface would be device specific, but seems like the tablet stuff should all behave pretty much the same across the board.

While trying to find the Play store link so I could c/p the changelog, I found this which looks lovely and has ads, but also probably works.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

mirthdefect posted:

While trying to find the Play store link so I could c/p the changelog, I found this which looks lovely and has ads, but also probably works.

Front page is not three quarters full of blank space or useless info I will never need to look during a game. 8.5/10.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

mirthdefect posted:

Can't you write code in something that compiles on both iOS and Android? Like maybe the login interface would be device specific, but seems like the tablet stuff should all behave pretty much the same across the board.

Definitely not. They are pretty rapidly different systems. You can use certain software packages to transfer large amounts of the code over but that can be very shoddy and look like crap if your not careful with what your doing. Code bases needed to be pretty carefully designed to not produce crap. Interface considerations themselves are pretty huge just purely looking at screen real-estate. None of that seemed to be considered though.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

kingcom posted:

Definitely not. They are pretty rapidly different systems. You can use certain software packages to transfer large amounts of the code over but that can be very shoddy and look like crap if your not careful with what your doing. Code bases needed to be pretty carefully designed to not produce crap. Interface considerations themselves are pretty huge just purely looking at screen real-estate. None of that seemed to be considered though.

Ahh ok, I thought I heard about some magic python compiler or something that did both. That presupposes you can do everything in python too, I guess.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

What was the scope of Dungeonscape supposed to actually be, anyway?

Obviously it was intended to end up being more than a character builder/sheet, but I have no idea what "more than" might have meant.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

What was the scope of Dungeonscape supposed to actually be, anyway?

Obviously it was intended to end up being more than a character builder/sheet, but I have no idea what "more than" might have meant.

GM tool set - dice roller, campaign manager, document sharing, encounter builder - and digital rule books (at additional cost). All things to all people was the idea as far as I knew.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The lotus notes of TTRPG software?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bland because I find it bland lack of fluff and descriptions is probably the reason there.
Wait wait wait. Is this the same reason you didn't like my vampire statblock as much as 5E's? Because you gave it the same response of "ya ok but I like 5e better" with no reasons at all. If I had typed a paragraph to tell you what a goddamn vampire is, would that have helped?

Hey a vampire is a magic pretty dude who drinks people's blood.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
Thanks for the feedback folks, here and on the Google Doc.

Boing posted:

One suggestion: Maybe you can be proficient in a skill called your weapon. For example, the Mace skill could be rolled to crush armour or break objects, the Spear skill could be rolled to keep dudes at bay and skewer multiple enemies, and so on. The fact that D&D weapons all boil down to a damage type and some combination of dice was always a let down.

Good idea! I'm going to put this in a module.

AlphaDog posted:

Is there a reason that dual wield isn't just equivalent to 2-hander damage? As in, "if wielding a melee weapon in each hand, you use the 2-handed damage for your class"? I'm not saying I don't like the way you've done it, just that there might be a simpler solution that doesn't require extra rolls.

The only reason is that I took the rule directly from 5E.

Your suggestion would fix two concerns of mine: that dual-wielding is often strictly better than two-handed fighting, and that it eats up a bonus action which will affect some characters more than others (and might wind up as a trap choice for, e.g., a rogue).

Currently the classes are assigned weapon damage so that some get prodded towards dual-wielding and some towards a two-hander, but even if that is important it could be easily fixed by assigning monks and rogues dual-wielding 1d12 but two-handed melee weapon 1d10 or something.

I do like that characters who are dual-wielding can make two attacks in a round. But maybe that could be a general rule:

FLURRY OF BLOWS: Before you make an attack with your action, you can declare a flurry of blows. Your attack only does half damage. However, you can make a second attack with your bonus action. This attack also only does half damage.

Covok posted:

I don't see a list of backgrounds. Do they work like 13th Age backgrounds? As in, you make them up yourself?

I'd just use the 5E backgrounds, but making them up should be trivial.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bland because I find it bland lack of fluff and descriptions is probably the reason there.

That's my fault. I've assumed more familiarity with Microlite20 than I should've. Microlite5E should be read alongside D&D 5E - in fact, making races and classes skills only works if people do have a familiarity with the fluff and descriptions in D&D!

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Races part I find rather terrible because along with being bland from lack of details there is nothing to different them other then a single trait which is generally not very good or interesting.

There's definitely room to improve in the races section - Chris Hall and paladin935 have identified a few in particular that are underwhelming.

I'd love the advice of these forums on cool new - but simple - features I can give the races. Maybe MonsterEnvy you could let me know what your favourite parts of the 5E races are that are missing from the Microlite5E features at the moment.

Some examples I've thought of:

Dark elves getting dancing lights is underwhelming. What if they got darkness 1/day? Likewise, tieflings might do better with hellish rebuke 1/day than resist fire.

gradenko_2000 posted:

If I were to make a suggestion, I'd suggest a section where you show how to fill out the character following those same steps, one at a time.

Good idea, I'll put something together.

--

Rannos22 posted:

Does Next actually include rules or advice or whatever for this sorta world generation or was this something you just picked up or homebrewed?

In fairness, the DMG isn't out yet, so it might do - I would trace the methods I used back to Dungeon World, which encourages that sort of collaborative setting building in a number of ways.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sanglorian posted:

Your suggestion would fix two concerns of mine: that dual-wielding is often strictly better than two-handed fighting, and that it eats up a bonus action which will affect some characters more than others (and might wind up as a trap choice for, e.g., a rogue).

Currently the classes are assigned weapon damage so that some get prodded towards dual-wielding and some towards a two-hander, but even if that is important it could be easily fixed by assigning monks and rogues dual-wielding 1d12 but two-handed melee weapon 1d10 or something.

I do like that characters who are dual-wielding can make two attacks in a round. But maybe that could be a general rule:

FLURRY OF BLOWS: Before you make an attack with your action, you can declare a flurry of blows. Your attack only does half damage. However, you can make a second attack with your bonus action. This attack also only does half damage.

I guess it depends on what level of abstraction you're happy with. I'm perfectly happy to abstract 2-weapon fighting into "does more damage than 1-weapon fighting", but then again when I'm picturing a fight "a hit" isn't necessarily a single swing of the weapon. I don't see how someone could know anything at all about fighting (let alone with blades) and still imagine dudes are standing there trading shots every 6 seconds and that having a second weapon will make you able to attack twice as fast, but I'm pretty obviously on the weird side of this particular thing and I'm happy to go with whatever.

That said, if you want simple, two attack rolls from two weapons isn't the way to go. You could always just add a "2-weapon" column to your damage chart and make it whatever works out best. If you do want multiple attacks from 2-weapon fighting because D&D, then doing it as an option is a good idea.

e: Actually, if you do multiple attacks from dual wielding as an option and take up the "different weapons have different abilities if you want to use them" thing, it probably works fine. Spears can keep people away, hammers can bash things apart, two weapons lets you attack more for lower damage/attack.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 30, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Two-weapon fighting rules don't really make any sense in most RPGs anyway. You can see the game designer logic that "more weapons = more attacks!" but nobody who actually fights with 2 weapons uses them to attack with at the same time. It's not like you can swing your second sword after swinging your first sword any faster than you can swing one sword twice. Two-weapon fighting should be about parrying and finesse, it'd be nice if you got bonuses to defense and disarming and stuff rather than just more attacks.

e: I guess the dude above me said it better

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Boing posted:

Two-weapon fighting rules don't really make any sense in most RPGs anyway. You can see the game designer logic that "more weapons = more attacks!" but nobody who actually fights with 2 weapons uses them to attack with at the same time. It's not like you can swing your second sword after swinging your first sword any faster than you can swing one sword twice. Two-weapon fighting should be about parrying and finesse, it'd be nice if you got bonuses to defense and disarming and stuff rather than just more attacks.

As someone with modest training in smallsword-and-dagger (amongst other historical fencing things and I'm not going to sperg about it, I swear), I'd assert that fighting with 2 weapons is hardly ever going to give you more attacks. If I were going to do an abstracted game-design thing with fighting styles and go for simple and realistic-ish, what I'd do is this:

Single weapon and empty hand: Standard damage, grapple option.

Single weapon and shield: Standard damage, big defence bonus.

Two weapons: More damage [or possibly more to-hit], small defence bonus.

2-handed weapon: More damage, more reach [or possibly more to-hit if reach isn't a useful thing].

It's probably dumb to try to discuss it without a game framework in mind though.

e: One of the problems with 2-weapon fighting and "realistic-ish" is that really a single on-target stab wins a fight and it doesn't matter if it was a fighting dagger or a great big loving sword that got you.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 30, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think even the original D&D said that an "attack" in the context of a 6-10 second round wasn't representative of a single swing/stab/thrust, but rather an abstraction of all the positioning, parrying, jockeying and multiple attack attempts during that time frame, and a "hit" wasn't so much a single successful attack attempt so much as however more tired and bruised your opponent, hand-in-hand with the concept that Hit Points didn't represent "meat" but rather the physical stature and mental energy required to avoid being dealt a killing blow.

A Fighter gained bonus attacks not because he attacked "faster" in the literal sense, but that he simply found more opportunities to beat and batter his opponent within the same 6-10 second time frame, and since an attack has nothing to do with individual arm motions, the bonus attacks would always happen regardless of what weapon would be used.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Original D&D through 2nd ed AD&D used 1 minute combat rounds. Other than that, yes, that's what those old books all say. De-emphasising the abstraction of combat is one of the things that's led to a lot of weirdness.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

mirthdefect posted:

Please Test:
General player-based functionality (i.e. does the app enable you to play a character effectively in a fifth edition game?)
Known Issues (Not ready for feedback/bugs):
Adventure/Campaign Modules
Party Module
Forge Module
Home Module
Badges and Certs
Library Module
Character Creation
Simple Creation
Quick Build
Character Sheet Features:
Multiclassing
Single Page View
Character Sheet Exporting
Macro-mode
Equipment options for backgrounds
Character sheet widget for animal companions/mounts and/or vehicles
General Performance

Known Issues:
General Performance

So it was directly mirroring the 5e PHB, MM and DMG experience?

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

AlphaDog posted:

The lotus notes of TTRPG software?
I appreciated this post.

Also, I've decided to go Fighter 4/Paladin 16. I want the ability score increase and I'm willing to miss out on fifth-level spells for it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So I found a/the formula for computing DPR - my next question would be if monster HP is/should be based on an expected fight length or if it should be more towards just escalating hit dice as the level increases.

My thinking was more towards the former since basing a monster's HP/AC level as a percentage of an expected average DPR means you can design them such that you're never completely outpacing a character's output, but then I don't know how long a combat should last.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

AlphaDog posted:

e: One of the problems with 2-weapon fighting and "realistic-ish" is that really a single on-target stab wins a fight and it doesn't matter if it was a fighting dagger or a great big loving sword that got you.

The other problem with 'realistic-ish' fighting in a fantasy milieu is that a lot of the things you're fighting are way tougher than a human. A vaguely realistic crunchy system designed around a single clean strike being able to kill a man and everything else is maneuvering to get that clean strike will implode messily when your dude is fighting something as tough as a boar or a moose.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

gradenko_2000 posted:

So I found a/the formula for computing DPR - my next question would be if monster HP is/should be based on an expected fight length or if it should be more towards just escalating hit dice as the level increases.

My thinking was more towards the former since basing a monster's HP/AC level as a percentage of an expected average DPR means you can design them such that you're never completely outpacing a character's output, but then I don't know how long a combat should last.

What, exactly, are you trying to do, and why are you trying to do it? Is the goal to create a monster in 5E?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ratoslov posted:

The other problem with 'realistic-ish' fighting in a fantasy milieu is that a lot of the things you're fighting are way tougher than a human. A vaguely realistic crunchy system designed around a single clean strike being able to kill a man and everything else is maneuvering to get that clean strike will implode messily when your dude is fighting something as tough as a boar or a moose.

Yes, the Boar/Moose would implode messily, because spears and reach.
Well we are assuming the person is not an idiot and isnt using a prison shiv to combat an animal.

And that would be cool actually. Just with the caveat that magical/quick(more accelerated) healing does exist in this world but still takes ample time. Because being out for a long time when you have easy access to civilisation isn't cool.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 30, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Laphroaig posted:

What, exactly, are you trying to do, and why are you trying to do it? Is the goal to create a monster in 5E?

Exactly right. I can't see any rhyme or reason to the MM monster design, but I figure it should be possible to have at least some rough guidelines on creating a monster using the capabilities of the characters as a starting point:

Given the attack bonus (attribute modifier+proficiency bonus) and the basic attack damage of a player of any given level, set the AC to have about a 60% chance to hit and then adjust the HP until it'd take approximately x rounds (I'm thinking 4?) to kill.

Spells and abilities and the action economy/focus fire will undoubtedly throw this off, but I figure if you start from a baseline of something like "4 goblins would be this strong against 4 Fighters", then you would at least have a better idea of how much more or less strong the individual monsters or the whole group should be as you throw in more.

ObMeiste
Oct 7, 2003

The Boss doesn't like you. Get out now or you'll have some real trouble.
In regards to two-weapon fighting within the confines of the heroic high fantasy adventures of D&D, I think coming at foes with both weapons on the offense shouldn't be a stretch.

That said the mention of Flurry of Blows reminded me of how they represented that in regards to the Monk class in 4e.

Once per round whenever the Monk hit with an attack, they could do extra damage to one foe within range.
That seems a pretty easy solution without requiring extra rolls, and would allow two-weapon fighting to differ from the more focused single-target damage output of two-handed weapons; letting the user do extra damage to an foe that isn't necessarily the original target of the attack roll.

There's something similar to cleave in 4e as well, so I suppose that could be an option for two-handers to specialize in as well, while maybe two-weapon fighters can specialize in the defensive; although that is maybe getting into a more complicated feats sort of territory.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sanglorian posted:

There doesn't seem to be any benefit to this. What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Really Pants posted:

There doesn't seem to be any benefit to this. What am I missing?

Assuming you're more likely to hit than miss, it'll make your damage slightly more consistent, but not really enough to do much of anything. And if you're less likely to hit, there's no point at all to it.