Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drastic Actions posted:

Which one? I did not remove any options. If you want to add a bookmark, or remove one, just long press on a thread in the thread list.

I thought there was another in the thread menu below reply, etc. Maybe I imagined it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

Which one? I did not remove any options. If you want to add a bookmark, or remove one, just long press on a thread in the thread list.

This turns out to be a problem if you find a thread by a link inside another one. Then you have to navigate all the way back to the forum index and look for the thread in the forum listing to bookmark it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

nielsm posted:

This turns out to be a problem if you find a thread by a link inside another one. Then you have to navigate all the way back to the forum index and look for the thread in the forum listing to bookmark it.

That is the exact situation that led me to post.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wormil posted:

That is the exact situation that led me to post.

Looking at my git commits, I never had that as a function. It's not like it's hard to add, but it should be contextual (as in, say "Add Bookmark" if it's not one, or "Remove bookmark" if it is.) but for that to really work, I need to keep track of what your bookmarks are. Right now, I don't. It's stored in memory. I do have SQlite on the Windows 8 solution for Favorite Forums support (I should push that out at some point...), which can store your bookmarks so I have a constant reference and be basically what the iOS Awful does.

Will I do that? Eh, maybe. I don't really use the app since I use on my iPhone 6 full time, and only pull out the Windows Phone when I get a notification that something broke here. Also, with my new job, I get back home pretty late and don't really feel like working on anything. Really, I guess the projects are on maintenance at this point.

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Looking at my git commits, I never had that as a function. It's not like it's hard to add, but it should be contextual (as in, say "Add Bookmark" if it's not one, or "Remove bookmark" if it is.) but for that to really work, I need to keep track of what your bookmarks are. Right now, I don't. It's stored in memory. I do have SQlite on the Windows 8 solution for Favorite Forums support (I should push that out at some point...), which can store your bookmarks so I have a constant reference and be basically what the iOS Awful does.

Will I do that? Eh, maybe. I don't really use the app since I use on my iPhone 6 full time, and only pull out the Windows Phone when I get a notification that something broke here. Also, with my new job, I get back home pretty late and don't really feel like working on anything. Really, I guess the projects are on maintenance at this point.

I've gotten as far as checking out the source code and have been looking over it, but I am quite a bit away from actually being able to make any helpful changes... that said, I've just moved to a WP and I write c# / .NET for work so I may be able to help out a bit once I understand the WP platform better.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Krinos posted:

I went from the 920 to the 930 and though it's an upgrade in most ways (bigger screen or no increase in size, better screen, better camera, beefier internals) it did lose glance which is a huge bummer.

I went to the 939 from a 920 too. However I never used Glance as I just didn't see it's appeal, so I didn't miss it.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
I'm thinking about getting a 1520. How supported is the windows platform and what what do people like and hate about it the most?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I went to the 939 from a 920 too. However I never used Glance as I just didn't see it's appeal, so I didn't miss it.

I enjoy waving my hand over my phone to see the time. In fact, my phone is my only clock in my office.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Two Feet From Bread posted:

I'm thinking about getting a 1520. How supported is the windows platform and what what do people like and hate about it the most?

The "app gap" has started to disappear, and there's windows phone versions of a lot of the "big apps" (your ubers, whatsapps, etc), although they may not have the same set of features as the iOS/Android versions. Other apps (your regional bank, etc may not support the platform).

What are your primary use cases for a phone? Are you deep in the Google or Apple ecosystems?

I really like the interface and general "feel" of the OS. I think live tiles are a lot more functional than android widgets, and iOS really doesn't have anything that compares. Cortana is useful, almost as good as Google Now, way better than siri. In the windows phone 7 hub days, you could do quite a bit without ever venturing into an app.

That said, I think the platform has taken steps backwards for music/podcasts, and there's still a lot of fit/finish issues for things that broke or changed with the 7 to 8 migration, or new features that don't quite work/integrate as expected with existing features.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Maneki Neko posted:

What are your primary use cases for a phone? Are you deep in the Google or Apple ecosystems?

Primary usage would be interneting, videos, movies, music and reading books. I would also like to open a full versions of Microsoft office (mainly word, excel, powerpoint). is this a thing the phone can do?
I have only had iPhone smart phones.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The trick was to leave it always on like the Symbian version. This way I can see the time at night without fumbling for the phone in the dark, I can glance down at my phone during a meeting to see the time or notifications without directly touching it like an inattentive rear end in a top hat in front of my boss, and I can use night mode to customize the color to match phone body or theme (it doesn't disable notifications as claimed)

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Primary usage would be interneting, videos, movies, music and reading books. I would also like to open a full versions of Microsoft office (mainly word, excel, powerpoint). is this a thing the phone can do?
I have only had iPhone smart phones.

I'll go ahead and direct you to Bookviser for reading as it's superb. I don't know much about Office apps or services, but everything else you want to do you can with incredible functionality and style from UC Browser to myTube and beyond.

My Lumia 1020 is my favorite phone in my life yet, and using an iPhone now feels like I'm poking away at a toy. You should definitely switch sides.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I really hope for a 2020, or whatever it will be called, soon. What kept me from the 1020 was not the camera hump or anything like it, rather that it from day 1 seemed clear it was an oddball hardware-wise and I feared it wouldn't get the support the other phones did.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So I got the phone for my mom (went with a 521 over the 635 for various reasons). Anyway, it's going to be a week before I can give it to her and I want to play with it some, partially just to play with Windows Phone, partially to be able to troubleshoot for her. It seems to me I can add one of my accounts (Google or Microsoft), mess with it, then just delete the account and use hers, right? Or would I be better off doing a factory reset?

I mainly plan on just seeing how adding/maintaining contacts works and checking out the email app, don't plan on downloading any apps of media files or anything, but I also don't want her having access to my account once I'm done with it.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
You can either do a hard reset via the phone or you can use the Nokia Recovery Tool to completely wipe the device.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Factor Mystic on July 7th, 2014 posted:

I also decided to back up my trash talking and put my money where my mouth is, and write a music app myself.

And now 117 days later, here we are! I have published my music app.

:toot: Harmony Music App for Windows Phone 8.1 :toot:

The main focus of this v1 release is streaming your own music from your own OneDrive account. Put your mp3's in a root folder (name it something with the word "music") in your OneDrive account, and this app will present them and stream them. This is ideal for people with very large music collections, or when you have more music than fits on your tiny 8GB phone.

The model I'm going with is free but capped to 500 tracks, and then $2.99 in-app purchase for unlimited tracks. At the moment it's unlisted so goons can grab the unlock :siren: for free :siren: before I go public and turn on the payment next week. The IAP is permanent, so even if it's not your think at the moment grab it so you always have it. (I'd rather there was a way to issue freebies, but I can't. Oh well.)

If you think this app has promise and/or you want to help a goon out, the very best thing you can do is rate the app five stars. It takes 30 seconds and would really help to jumpstart this thing.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Factor Mystic posted:

The main focus of this v1 release is streaming your own music from your own OneDrive account. Put your mp3's in a root folder (name it something with the word "music") in your OneDrive account, and this app will present them and stream them. This is ideal for people with very large music collections, or when you have more music than fits on your tiny 8GB phone.

The model I'm going with is free but capped to 500 tracks, and then $2.99 in-app purchase for unlimited tracks. At the moment it's unlisted so goons can grab the unlock :siren: for free :siren: before I go public and turn on the payment next week. The IAP is permanent, so even if it's not your think at the moment grab it so you always have it. (I'd rather there was a way to issue freebies, but I can't. Oh well.)

If you think this app has promise and/or you want to help a goon out, the very best thing you can do is rate the app five stars. It takes 30 seconds and would really help to jumpstart this thing.

Sounds cool. Just downloaded it and gave you five stars. :)

fewyn
Apr 6, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

Dude... this sounds amazaballs. Downloaded and rated 5 stars even if it works half as good as it sounds this is going to be great.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Downloaded it and my 400 songs synced successfully. :) One pretty big issue I'm getting just from playing with it is that the music stops playing when the screen goes off or when you switch to another app or back to the home screen. Not right away, it continues playing for a few seconds so originally I thought it was a buffering issue, but now I don't think it is since it starts up again right away when I unlock the phone.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Downloaded it and my 400 songs synced successfully. :) One pretty big issue I'm getting just from playing with it is that the music stops playing when the screen goes off or when you switch to another app or back to the home screen. Not right away, it continues playing for a few seconds so originally I thought it was a buffering issue, but now I don't think it is since it starts up again right away when I unlock the phone.

Are you using a 512MB device? A few people have said that this occasionally happens, but I can't reproduce it. Here's a thing to try: Once music is playing, hold the back button to go to the multitasking screen, and kill the app. Does the music stop then, or does it keep playing?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I experienced that on my 620, but only when I had no headphones plugged in. It refused to play without the app in foreground when playing through the built-in speaker, but worked fine in the background when playing through headphones.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I have a 1020, so 2GB of RAM (I think only 1GB for apps though, the rest is for the camera). I've been listening with headphones in, yeah.

If I kill the app through the multitasking screen, the music stops. If I then start the app again, the music starts playing and the screen can go off or I can switch to another app, and it plays just fine in the background for just that song, then stops. :psyduck: Weird corner case I guess. I'll keep playing around with it. :)

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 1, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to send a text to a group? I can reply to group messages, but I don't know how to send texts otherwise.

Drastic Actions posted:

Really, I guess the projects are on maintenance at this point.

I can't login at all, I just get an error regarding my username / password (I'm copying my password from the lastpass app)

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Not gonna lie, this thing works pretty well.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is it possible to send a text to a group? I can reply to group messages, but I don't know how to send texts otherwise.

I can't login at all, I just get an error regarding my username / password (I'm copying my password from the lastpass app)

Can't copy from WP7.5 app to WinRT. OS Level bug (It adds a bunch of junk to the string you copy). You have to do it manually.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Drastic Actions posted:

Can't copy from WP7.5 app to WinRT. OS Level bug (It adds a bunch of junk to the string you copy). You have to do it manually.

it says its a wp8/8.1 app but ok i did that

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 1, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

A Yolo Wizard posted:

it says its a wp8/8.1 app but ok i did that

Okay, You can't do it from a Silverlight app to a WinRT app.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Captain Capacitor posted:

Not gonna lie, this thing works pretty well.

Sweet! Still waiting for mine to ship from Microsoft, then onto Viginia Beach and finally off to Denmark. So yeah, it will take a week or so before it arrives.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Factor Mystic posted:

Awesome, thanks, and rated!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

Nice one buddy! Gonna give you my five and good luck. Your app works a charm (final version).

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Factor Mystic posted:

Can you make the music folder location customizable?

Skydrive folders names are always localized (e.g. "Documents" -> "Asiakirjat"), so on Finnish language settings that leaked music locker feature creates you folder named "Musiikki". And since everything else is in Finnish already, I'd rather keep it that way so it's less distracting and to make it compatible whenever they launch that music locker thing.

http://www.windowscentral.com/new-details-about-microsoft-xbox-music-locker

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Anyone on the latest dev preview of 8.1 have any Wi-Fi issues? Our computers as well as the fiancée's android phone have no issues with our home network, but sometimes my Icon/929 will be connected and refuse to load webpages or anything else unless I turn Wi-Fi off in settings for it to fall back on cellular data. It then will not find any Wi-Fi networks unless I do a soft reset of the phone. Restarting the gateway has no effect. I hope the phone's wireless hardware isn't hosed.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

I get this error when watching YouTube videos now via IE. Anyone else?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there a spiritual successor to the Nokia 520 for T-Mobile that I should look at? My dad just shattered his old android phone and is looking for a cheap replacement. He is on T-Mobile post-paid.

A little research is pointing to the Lumia 635?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 2, 2014

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Charles Martel posted:

Anyone on the latest dev preview of 8.1 have any Wi-Fi issues? Our computers as well as the fiancée's android phone have no issues with our home network, but sometimes my Icon/929 will be connected and refuse to load webpages or anything else unless I turn Wi-Fi off in settings for it to fall back on cellular data. It then will not find any Wi-Fi networks unless I do a soft reset of the phone. Restarting the gateway has no effect. I hope the phone's wireless hardware isn't hosed.

Same phone, same problem. :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Hughmoris posted:

Is there a spiritual successor to the Nokia 520 for T-Mobile that I should look at? My dad just shattered his old android phone and is looking for a cheap replacement. He is on T-Mobile post-paid.

A little research is pointing to the Lumia 635?

Technically, the 530, but it seems you'd be better off with a 521 or a 635.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/newer-but-not-better-the-nokia-lumia-530-reviewed/

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Startacus posted:

Same phone, same problem. :(

I tried toggling Airplane Mode, and after taking a trip to the supermarket a few miles away, it was still connected to my home Wi-Fi and wouldn't pull up any webpages. It's like it is mocking me at this point.

Edit: It wouldn't connect to Bluetooth or Driving Mode in my car either even though they always did it automatically as soon as I turned my receiver on. I turned Airplane Mode on and off and my phone wouldn't let me turn Bluttooth back on until I, you guessed it, did a soft reset. Hopefully this gets fixed with a dev preview update because this is going to get old fast.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 2, 2014

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Uthor posted:

Technically, the 530, but it seems you'd be better off with a 521 or a 635.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/newer-but-not-better-the-nokia-lumia-530-reviewed/

The spiritual successor to the 520 is absolutely the 635. Microsoft moved the whole series downrange but didn't change the naming series as the number 4 is bad juju in china: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture

The 530 should be considered the 430 (Microsoft should have just named it the 330 or something)
The 635 is now the 5 series equivalent.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Stubb Dogg posted:

Can you make the music folder location customizable?

Skydrive folders names are always localized (e.g. "Documents" -> "Asiakirjat"), so on Finnish language settings that leaked music locker feature creates you folder named "Musiikki". And since everything else is in Finnish already, I'd rather keep it that way so it's less distracting and to make it compatible whenever they launch that music locker thing.

Very good. I had intended to make it configurable at some point but this pushes it up. Next release will address this.

This was rumored even earlier this year before I started. But even so, I wouldn't mind if this materializes, because it'll get more people to move their music to the cloud, which is more potential customers for me. Plus, I'm planning on adding more features than just OneDrive streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Is anyone else having the same issue with the Awful Forums Reader app that I am? It's complety unusable as it crashes out every time I scroll down on a thread. Every single time.