Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CoolCab posted:

California's 100k statue to homelessness.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I don't know what statue he's talking about but this one makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yMF0HEOiDU

Phoning the cops on a jesus statue.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

I really can't imagine them being that stupid. Scottish Labour are haemorrhaging voters in a way that hasn't been seen since the collapse of the Scottish conservatives, and views on Jim Murphy are pretty well known. I've spoken to a few colleagues who have been lifelong Labour voters about the nominations, and they've all said if Jim Murphy gets it, that will be time to jump ship to any other party in Scotland. One even said Ruth Davidson and the Scottish Conservatives seemed more progressive than some of the stuff Murphy comes out with. They may simulate party unity by choosing him, but it will be unity at the cost of losing Scotland.

If Findlay is smart then he will come out for separating the Scottish party entirely from the national party. After Boyack gets eliminated in the first round that means the party will have the choice between a radical new way and giant gently caress-you to London (Findlay), and the known-quantity stooge (Murphy).

I don't think a majority in the party has it in them to do anything but stick to what they know, even if it further dooms them.

One interesting thing is that this should reveal the actual number of paying members the Scottish party currently has, which should be hilarious.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Fluo posted:

Mathew 25:40

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ah, apologies, I misremembered.

It was Austin, and 175k.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I'm not sure why that's so dumb though. If they wanted to build a statue of a local politician no-one would be saying "why don't you donate the money to homeless shelters instead"?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Wolfsbane posted:

I'm not sure why that's so dumb though. If they wanted to build a statue of a local politician no-one would be saying "why don't you donate the money to homeless shelters instead"?

Because there's no inherent hypocrisy in that

"Let's spend lots of money on a statue for an issue that desperately needs money" is a bone-headed idea... if it's about raising awareness then fine, but dollar-for-dollar you could probably raise more awareness (and cash) by bothering people on the street for donations.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I don't see how it's hypocritical to say "We should care about issue X" and then build a statue relating to issue X. You could argue it's not the most effective use of the money, but 1) that's not hypocrisy, 2) I'm not sure that's self-evdently true, and 3) if you want to start talking about city councils not using their money effectively, there are about a million bigger targets I would go for first. I mean, the fact that this is being proposed by someone who has spent his life advocating on this issue (very successfully) should at least make you consider that maybe he knows what he's doing.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Fluo posted:

If they'd even spent the money on benches it would be more useful to the homeless than a statue of a sleeping homeless Jesus on a bench. I mean, just cos you can sit next to the statue on the bench, but not lie down. Or they could raise awareness by using those shelter-benches they did in Canada

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Coohoolin posted:

Yeah it's awareness raising. No one's buying a castle, guys.

Its certainly raising awareness that they're loving morons

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Wolfsbane posted:

I mean, the fact that this is being proposed by someone who has spent his life advocating on this issue (very successfully) should at least make you consider that maybe he knows what he's doing.

Alright, I'll accept that. Serves me right for not reading the article properly and jumping to the conclusion that it was the council what did thought it up.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
It is a problem in two main ways. First it is highly questionable statues have much impact on public policies. War memorials often cause a moment of quiet reflection but don't seem to sate popular bloodlust for "good" wars. Further actual homeless people serve as a reminder the homeless exist and as Fluo's link shows that seems to prompt more calls to the cops than calls to action.

Second, it gives opponents of helping the homeless a potent weapon to say money that could've helped them was squandered on a statue, why through good money after bad etc. Sites like Charity Navigator are popular because, rightly or wrongly, the public views any donated money not spent directly on the cause as wasted.

Thus the statue generates questionable amounts of good awareness, considerable amounts of bad awareness and runs the risk of becoming a symbol of pointless liberal feelgoodery.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

:downsbravo:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Don't worry, were there to be an EU referendum the UK would comfortably vote to remain within it.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Its interesting that since the UKIP surge, support for leaving the EU seems to have fallen. it goes against what you would expect to have happened...

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Ipsos-MORI Scottish Westminster voting intention poll just out

quote:

SNP 52%
LAB 23%
CON 10%
GRN 6%
LD 6%

It's loving happening lads

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

twoot posted:

What is?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

eh, I got a bit excited in a fit of schadenfreude.

Something's happening to Labour, at least.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

twoot posted:

eh, I got a bit excited in a fit of schadenfreude.

Something's happening to Labour, at least.

Sorry for a moment I thought you were going to go down that absurd 'Westminster SNP Scottish majority = UDI' route.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Is this an honest to god Westminster intention poll or just another crossbreak of a national one?

I remind people that Westminster intention polls aren't the most accurate of things this far out of the election campaign; and there'll be some reversion back towards Labour if only since most of the news coverage will be on the UK-wide campaign and thus Labour will get a lot more news coverage than the SNP could dream of. Of course the election won't be right in the middle of a Scottish Labour leadership contest, and that's likely to have affected this poll in some way. Labour will lose votes in Scotland next year; I don't see them getting as low as 20% and the SNP certainly won't get 50+% - even in Labour's best year they've never gotten past 50% of the vote. The highest they've ever got was 49.9% in 1966 before the SNP began to significantly rise - the last party to win over 50% of the vote in Scotland was the Tories in 1955.

There's no point trying to predict anything on that sort of poll as well: UNS sort of breaks down when you get huge swings (that's around 25-30 Lab-SNP) because its designed for relatively small movements, not a dramatic transformation of a nations party system. A UNS prediction gives 57 SNP, 1 Labour (Glasgow North East) and 1 Lib Dem (Orkney and Shetland); and as much as it would be funny to see the SNP be the third party in Westminster with almost as many seats as the Lib Dems have now, I don't see that happening. The Lib Dems aren't going to lose Ross, Skye and Lochaber for as long as Charles Kennedy remains in parliament, and highland seats have weird voting habits and MPs generally have strong personal votes - apparently John Thurso in Caithness is pretty well liked, while the only chance that Danny Alexander has in Inverness is if you have a split opposition between the Tories, Labour and the SNP. Sure its only a few seats; but the Lib Dems will be thankful of every seat that they can hold!

e: So it is actually a proper poll so its actually somewhat useful

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 30, 2014

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

Is this an honest to god Westminster intention poll or just another crossbreak of a national one?

It is a proper poll, ~1000 by telephone. Usual poll things apply, the SNP won't actually leave Labour with only 4 seats, blah blah. Perfect timing for those who enjoy watching Labour suffer for it's mistakes though.

Lord Ashcroft will have some constituency-level polling of Scotland out in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to see how deep the rot goes.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Some more details here.
http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/297729-stv-poll-labour-would-annihilated-if-general-election-held-tomorrow/

But yeah, people tend to rebound back to Labour in general elections on polling day. Also this is obviously a particularly low point for Scottish Labour.

Still, they need to get their poo poo together or they will be routed. Maybe this will scare them away from safe centrism/Blairism in the leadership election.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

twoot posted:

Ipsos-MORI Scottish Westminster voting intention poll just out

I'm really sceptical. I mean it'd be sort of funny & maybe it'd be the sort of thing to make the Blair/Brown wing of the party maybe stop taking the left for granted, but I just can't believe that in a Westminster election Labour are not going to end up with more Scotland based MPs than any other party. It's still pretty hard to imagine them not getting more seats than all the other parties combined.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

All the nonsense about Scottish crossbreaks a while back was just that, nonsense. But this is a proper poll, and with a result that qualifies for at least a "blimey".

CON 10%(-7), LAB 23%(-19), LDEM 6%(-13), SNP 52%(+32), GRN 6%(+5) (changes are from last GE)

People like to go on about UKIP being a "political earthquake" or whatever bollocks, but if this is even close to the actual 2015 result then it's a political bloody-Chicxulub for Scottish Labour, and basically rules out a Labour majority.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

People do bounce back yes, but it would take around a 15% swing back to Labour for them just to lead the popular vote; and even then they'd still probably lose a fair few seats to the SNP then. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a patchy thing though: I could see SNP support increasing a lot more in Glasgow and the West Coast than around Edinburgh. This isn't based on anything other than an informed guess based on the Independence Referendum results and just my perception having been around both cities a fair bit in August and September. Perhaps I'm wrong, we won't know until we see some constituency polling!

Although it doesn't surprise me that the SNP are polling a huge amount. This is hugely anecdotal, but my Mum (who's voted Labour her entire life bar voting Lib Dem when they were led by Charles Kennedy and the SNP in the last few council elections because she knows their councillor) said to me that if the three big parties didn't have clear proposals to give Scotland significant powers, then she'd vote SNP in May. It wouldn't surprise me if the SNP being in government has actually made a lot of people less scared of voting for them because they've generally seemed to do a good job in government (or as good as you could expect a government with the limited powers of the Scottish Parliament to do anyway). Factor in the fact that you have Scottish Labour seen as inherently linked to the hip with the London party and seen as a right wing party compared to the SNP going through their fourth leader since losing the 2007 election might just have changed the way that people perceive the Labour party in Scotland, and those perceptions won't be changed if they elect Jim Murphy as their leader.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Some good info on Housing Benefit cuts since 2011 and their impact from Crisis here.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Lib dems are accusing the conservatives of suppressing a report on the efficacy of harsh drug laws.

(They have no effect)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phoon posted:

Lib dems are accusing the conservatives of suppressing a report on the efficacy of harsh drug laws.

(They have no effect)
It got a full 4 seconds on BBC News :smith:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Phoon posted:

(They have no effect)

Saw an article about it on the Guardian site.

Unfortunately, the report is another thing that will have no effect. Policy on this is not and never has been facts-led.

quote:

In a statement, Number 10 said: “This report provides no support whatsoever for the Lib Dem’s policy of decriminalisation. In fact, it clearly states that it would be inappropriate to draw those kind of conclusions.

“The Lib Dem policy would see drug dealers getting off scot-free and send an incredibly dangerous message to young people about the risks of taking drugs “As the report makes very clear, the Government’s approach already provides a good balance between enforcement and treatment, drug use is plummeting as a result and there is simply no chance that we will entertain such a reckless change of course .”

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Pasco posted:

CON 10%(-7), LAB 23%(-19), LDEM 6%(-13), SNP 52%(+32), GRN 6%(+5) (changes are from last GE)

For the record (since both you and twoot didn't include them), UKIP polled 2% (+1), Others 1%. Always nice to see the Greens polling better than UKIP.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jack the Lad posted:

Saw an article about it on the Guardian site.

Unfortunately, the report is another thing that will have no effect. Policy on this is not and never has been facts-led.

I'm betting that the same rhetoric will be used in the Nordic model debate next week. Baker himself has mentioned that the rhetoric regarding sex work and drug use tends to be incredibly similar.

e: I should point out that the study was three days from being FOIed out… although it wouldn't surprise me if May didn't consider using the ministerial veto.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 30, 2014

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

TinTower posted:

I'm betting that the same rhetoric will be used in the Nordic model debate next week. Baker himself has mentioned that the rhetoric regarding sex work and drug use tends to be incredibly similar.

e: I should point out that the study was three days from being FOIed out… although it wouldn't surprise me if May didn't consider using the ministerial veto.

They didn't publish the entire report though did they, they left off the conclusions/recommendations...I'm reading that to mean that the recommendations were to liberalise in some way. Can't have the DM up in arms over drugs liberalisation, or cut the numbers of prisoners when there is good money to give our mates running the private prisons.

Guavanaut posted:

It got a full 4 seconds on BBC News :smith:

It got about fifteen minutes on Today this morning, though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Alertrelic posted:

Some more details here.
http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/297729-stv-poll-labour-would-annihilated-if-general-election-held-tomorrow/

But yeah, people tend to rebound back to Labour in general elections on polling day. Also this is obviously a particularly low point for Scottish Labour.

Still, they need to get their poo poo together or they will be routed. Maybe this will scare them away from safe centrism/Blairism in the leadership election.

Lol will it gently caress.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TinTower posted:

Theresa May gets proper shirty when you point out she's a lying piece of poo poo tbh.

HortonNash posted:

They didn't publish the entire report though did they, they left off the conclusions/recommendations...I'm reading that to mean that the recommendations were to liberalise in some way. Can't have the DM up in arms over drugs liberalisation, or cut the numbers of prisoners when there is good money to give our mates running the private prisons.

Of course it was, the consensus has been on decrim for an extremely long time. Scientists have no place talking about policy and they'd better remember that if they like their jobs.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Spangly A posted:

Theresa May gets proper shirty when you point out she's a lying piece of poo poo tbh.

Any particularly good examples? I'd love to watch a bit of angry Theresa.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

Of course it was, the consensus has been on decrim for an extremely long time. Scientists have no place talking about policy and they'd better remember that if they like their jobs.

Remember that this is the case for basically all policies in almost all democracies. "Common sense" are literally the two most dangerous words in politics.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Remember that this is the case for basically all policies in almost all democracies. "Common sense" are literally the two most dangerous words in politics.

"Serious people" is up there. "Lesser evil", "tough choices" "middle class", "everyday people", really there's an entire lexicon.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Miliband is in Glasgow tonight for a Labour Party fundraising dinner :lol:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Perhaps Someone in home office will leak the recommendations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998