Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

That'd tide me over until Bloodbarn.

Bloodbarn on the Pauperstation wins the battle of exclusives over Samsung Megadrive on the Xbox 350.

NESguerilla posted:

Cool. Rest mode is completely borked. Good job Sony I guess I'll just not use it now or yank the plug every time I want to turn my ps4 back on.

Holy gently caress, mono, I am seriously laughing AT you rather than with you.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, it's better than a title that makes me think of hepatitis or something.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Maybe it's because I got a launch PS4 but I'm in with the crowd for wanting indies over so called AAA titles. At least this early in it's life, we're only likely to get Killzone or Knack, and really I'd much rather have a new indie game than play either of those.

Sure, I didn't buy a £350 console to play Spelunky, but this is a nice balance to bigger games I buy and it lets me check out things I maybe never would have even looked at otherwise.

People are expecting a lot for £37 a year, I mean that's less than the cost of 1 game at release, if I get 24 cool indie games for that, and even if only half of those are good it's still a bargain.
Gamers are entitled gently caress heads, the PS4 still isn't even a year into it's lifecycle yet, the best stuff is yet to come.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

MZ posted:

Maybe it's because I got a launch PS4 but I'm in with the crowd for wanting indies over so called AAA titles. At least this early in it's life, we're only likely to get Killzone or Knack, and really I'd much rather have a new indie game than play either of those.

Sure, I didn't buy a £350 console to play Spelunky, but this is a nice balance to bigger games I buy and it lets me check out things I maybe never would have even looked at otherwise.

People are expecting a lot for £37 a year, I mean that's less than the cost of 1 game at release, if I get 24 cool indie games for that, and even if only half of those are good it's still a bargain.
Gamers are entitled gently caress heads, the PS4 still isn't even a year into it's lifecycle yet, the best stuff is yet to come.

A lot of people don't consider indie games as "real games". They consider them to be the same as facebook or phone games.

The exceptions to this are indie games like Amnesia and Outlast, games with good graphics.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

MZ posted:

Gamers were taught to expect that because that's what they got from PS3.

I actually rather like the indie games but comparing it to what people got 2 years ago is a bit underwhelming. I'm certainly playing stuff I wouldn't have before though.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
And lot of people consider everything F2P to be a pay2win devil that gives autism to children.

But have you ever thought that maybe just maybe the reason we got to expect so much from PS+ with the PS3 was that they had a large library of full retail titles to give out through it? We're eleven months into this generation.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Another subtle unwritten patch now. Your ps4 remembers wifi passwords. Woooo

Bunch of people said changing their ps4 to supply power always from for 3 hours fixed their sleep mode issues

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 30, 2014

Hype
Apr 12, 2011

If anyone wants an Evolve alpha code, here's mine. No way I will have time to play this weekend. Enjoy!

3M82-H8NB-HJPG

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Hype posted:

If anyone wants an Evolve alpha code, here's mine. No way I will have time to play this weekend. Enjoy!

3M82-H8NB-HJPG

Thanks! Redeemed!

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Here's an alpha code for Evolve, because I too will be busy all drat weekend:

3TRB-9HN5-3BTB

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

haunted bong posted:

Here's an alpha code for Evolve, because I too will be busy all drat weekend:

3TRB-9HN5-3BTB

Yoink

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

MrLonghair posted:

But have you ever thought that maybe just maybe the reason we got to expect so much from PS+ with the PS3 was that they had a large library of full retail titles to give out through it? We're eleven months into this generation.

Exactly. Launch games for both XB1 and PS4 are still selling for at least €60 in stores over here in Ireland because people will still pay that because there is relatively little choice as to what to pay.

We won't get a full retail game on PSN until like March 2015 at the earliest i reckon. And it'll be Knack.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Trillest Parrot posted:

Binding of Isaac is a goon wankfest the same way Dark Souls is a goon wankfest. It's a good game and worth a shot if the price is right, but it is by no means universally appealing or accessible. You're not weird if you don't like it.

Ok? Nobody is saying that it's weird to not like it, just that it's idiotic to make assumptions based on a couple of screens.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You should not like it for a reason better than "it has pixels!", though.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I think not liking a game based on aesthetics is perfectly valid...

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I'm going to be traveling the whole time so someone else can evolve into a big alpha 4Q9A-E5N7-R2EE

Also, I will play Binding of Isaac cause I started it on my mac but using the keyboard is annoying.

P.S. I got Dark Souls for free through xbox gold and didn't like it.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Won't be at home all weekend :(

Evolve Big Alpha:

5B28-P2NF-LF7J

Have fun on my behalf!

Edit: Shards of Fate got the freebie! :)

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 30, 2014

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Won't be at home all weekend :(

Evolve Big Alpha:

5B28-P2NF-LF7J

Have fun on my behalf!

Redeemed thanks!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Sure it is, but if you're criticism of a game is something as fundamental as what it looks like what's the point of even saying anything? It would be like if they gave away an RTS and I came into the thread and was like "gently caress sony! I hate RTS games! Why are they wasting my time with this?"

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
What does that have to do with what I said? Aesthetics are a valid complaint and a valid reason to not like a game. I ain't getting involved in some larger argument about the quality of ps+

Has anybody had wonky as hell remote play since the update? Audio lag, letter boxing etc. weird poo poo that never happened before?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

There was one guy who specifically was bitching about BoI and PS+ as a whole though because it was "just another cookie-cutter indie pixel game" and he used a single gif as evidence. That's what I'm referencing.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
You're fine if you are, for some reason or another, put off by a graphic style enough to not wanna play a game because it has that style. But coming into a thread and saying "Ugh, not to be a dick, but look at this indie garbage, I like my games to look good" is basically troll baiting, and hey look, it worked, judging by all the posts I skipped and people are still talking about it.

Also, if you hate a pixel art, does anybody need to know or care? Is homeboy gonna drop the same hot opinion every time a pixel art game comes out? Having a discussion about art style would be neat, and probably would be welcomed, but that's not what was posted.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So along with 2.0 came this:

my PS4 Network Connection Test Screen posted:

The router in use might not support IP packet fragmentation, and some network features of the PS4 might be restricted.

My PS4 has a static IP, is in the DMZ, and I have (and have always had) NAT Type 2. Should I care about this?

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I wasn't into the pixel art style that they showed early on but it's since gotten a lot sharper. I'm still cautiously optimistic that they'll be able to recapture what made the original great but the additions of larger rooms, not relying on adobe flash and playing it with a gamepad without JOY2KEY.exe should be enough for me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Von Linus posted:

Gamers were taught to expect that because that's what they got from PS3.

I actually rather like the indie games but comparing it to what people got 2 years ago is a bit underwhelming. I'm certainly playing stuff I wouldn't have before though.

People were taught to expect a lot of PS+ because when the Instant Game Collection started ramping up service offerings it was in response to the PSN outage and account hacking. They were in need of some good publicity; currently they have lots of good publicity and they don't need to try as hard to win people over. Still, PS+ is a ragin deal and anyone who says otherwise is a tool.

FishBulb posted:

As someone who quit Dust within minutes...I can actually agree with this. BoI is cool though. The sounds that come out of that game! :stonklol:

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I have BoI on PC and i hate it but i can accept that some people love the kind of game it is.

It's one of the super-hard games that a huge chunk of gamers love now that i never "got" because i play games to relax rather than die a bunch to get good at but i won't poo poo on it for being a little bit stereotypically indie.

It seems to be a good game in a genre i dislike but i'm perfectly ok with that and it's a great PS+ offering.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

spudsbuckley posted:

I have BoI on PC and i hate it but i can accept that some people love the kind of game it is.

It's one of the super-hard games that a huge chunk of gamers love now that i never "got" because i play games to relax rather than die a bunch to get good at but i won't poo poo on it for being a little bit stereotypically indie.

It seems to be a good game in a genre i dislike but i'm perfectly ok with that and it's a great PS+ offering.

It's not a huge chunk of gamers who are into BoI and Spelunky, rather a VERY vocal small chunk of gamers who don't mind playing the same thing over and over with minor changes and claiming it's "A WHOLE NEW EXPERIENCE!!"

Who am I to talk though, I love that Crypt of the Necrodancer game on Steam.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there an Evolve thread because I also got into the Alpha and would like to play with goons this weekend.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

second-hand smegma posted:

People were taught to expect a lot of PS+ because when the Instant Game Collection started ramping up service offerings it was in response to the PSN outage and account hacking. They were in need of some good publicity; currently they have lots of good publicity and they don't need to try as hard to win people over. Still, PS+ is a ragin deal and anyone who says otherwise is a tool.

As someone who quit Dust within minutes...I can actually agree with this. BoI is cool though. The sounds that come out of that game! :stonklol:

My point is more that it doesn't matter why people are the way they are, they are that way now so being exasperated why people don't think 'Well, I should settle for less now because the situation for the company providing things to me has changed' betrays a certain lack of knowledge of or impatience with human nature.

Why can't we all just be good?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Binding of Issaac is a game where you cry at turds and use your mother's sanitary towels as a weapon. Feel weird about that, if anything.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm not big into the indie astetics but I usually try them out on ps+ and I certainly don't think I'm qualified to judge the gameplay of a type of game I can't get into for a different reason. I usually just move along and play games I like.

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray

spudsbuckley posted:

It's one of the super-hard games that a huge chunk of gamers love now that i never "got" because i play games to relax rather than die a bunch to get good at

Now that I think about it, that seems to be one of my bigger problems with a lot of indie games. I'd imagine that raw content is expensive and time-consuming to produce, so most of those kinds of games compensate for having little in the way of 'stuff' in exchange for lots of challenging gameplay repeated, which after awhile becomes sort of the entire point. I like to be challenged, but only to a point, not in essentially the exact same ways over and over again. I played games like that when I was little and had, y'know, endless free time.

Like, no one told me in Don't Starve that you lose all your progress when you die. Screw that.

None of this has anything to do with a complaint about ps+, although honestly my partner is about to throw the console through the window if the network problems don't stop soon. I'd say that's a way bigger problem than getting free games.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, it's better than a title that makes me think of hepatitis or something.

Destiny?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Anyone not using their code for evolve? Pm it to me and I will be grateful

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

Anyone not using their code for evolve? Pm it to me and I will be grateful

Same here. I'll be taking the nephews trick or treating and staying home.

PSN: BillyHoush if anyone's early in Diablo 3 or Destiny too.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
So, don't expect Driveclub PS+ edition any time soon: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-30-sony-postpones-driveclub-ps-plus-edition

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Can confirm firsthand that rebuilding your PS4's database does NOT fix the Rest-Lock. (Can't wake up/orange pulsing.)

So don't bother.

Also, what was the recommended fix for getting it to boot up from all the slick techsters in this thread who said "Don't unplug it dummy" when holding the power button for up to 40 seconds does nothing? :)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If I were at Evo Studios I'd have job applications to other studios prepared.

November 2013, never forget.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Feenix posted:

Can confirm firsthand that rebuilding your PS4's database does NOT fix the Rest-Lock. (Can't wake up/orange pulsing.)

So don't bother.

Also, what was the recommended fix for getting it to boot up from all the slick techsters in this thread who said "Don't unplug it dummy" when holding the power button for up to 40 seconds does nothing? :)

Make sure you are actually pressing the power button. It's really finicky, it will beep once when you first press it down, then it'll beep again after you've held it for a few seconds, then there's a third beep and the system turns off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

VarXX posted:

Make sure you are actually pressing the power button. It's really finicky, it will beep once when you first press it down, then it'll beep again after you've held it for a few seconds, then there's a third beep and the system turns off.

Yeah no, I am. I know it's finnicky but (non-snarky) I know how to press it. I've been using it the last couple of days a lot. It was locked up in Rest Mode. No gettin' out of it. :)

• Locked thread