Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I managed to throw my back out playing goalie on Friday night. :smith:

Gonna be a long week of no hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
So during my game yesterday, I get a semi-breakaway with one of their D-men approaching as I get closer to the net. As I'm taking my shot I get plowed into, sending me crashing into the net and goalie (who was thankfully someone I know and also not hurt). Net got knocked out of place largely due to my hip slamming into the left post, and now I'm very sore.

What the hell is with people thinking this is a Good IdeaŠ? I asked a buddy of mine who used to tend net in juniors before going to college and he said it was the same at that level - D-men tripping/cross-checking/etc opposing forwards very near the goal, resulting in the forward down on the ice, sliding into the goalie. Said you have to go higher than the junior leagues before guys start protecting their goalies by not doing that. loving people.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I mean, that happens semi-frequently in the NHL so I think it's just a "hockey is a fast, slippery game" thing.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Some people just can't stand getting beat and will out and out trip someone else

Incidentally today a guy got sprung on a breakaway when my D partner sent me a pass and just as he was about to take a shot I managed to pull up his stick but he wasn't expecting it and lost control, running into the goalie. The puck had enough forward momentum to slide in while the goalie was bracing himself and they counted it as a goal, but I feel like the guy really should've stayed on his feet because I didn't touch his legs or anything else but his stick

They were both okay, luckily

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
Ice hockey is the loving best, and playing it is loving awesome. I know I suck and am still very green, but the amount of hard work is surpassed 10 times by the fun I'm having on a weekly basis.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Ice hockey is great, however it's not great when someone takes a shot and it manages to hit the tiny square of ankle between your shinguards and boot. I was facing the guy when he shot and he still somehow managed to peg me there.

Hurt like crazy when it happened in the 1st, but I took a shift off and finished the game. Wasn't too bad until I would try to do a crossover or get a sharp angle and then my boot would dig into my ankle and cause all sorts of pain.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
I took a slap shot* to the side of my calf during my practice game on Saturday. It stung, but nothing could dampen my spirits about the game at the moment, no matter the pain, soreness, or stupid stumbles. It's the loving best.

*probably wouldn't be considered a hard shot to the experienced.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

xryokus posted:

Ice hockey is the loving best, and playing it is loving awesome. I know I suck and am still very green, but the amount of hard work is surpassed 10 times by the fun I'm having on a weekly basis.

Amen to that. Although it's so fun that I'm starting to get antsy only playing once per week. :ohdear: I wish I could play more, but access to ice time is the limiting factor, thanks to work.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Brettbot posted:

Amen to that. Although it's so fun that I'm starting to get antsy only playing once per week. :ohdear: I wish I could play more, but access to ice time is the limiting factor, thanks to work.

At least you're not in a league where they were most likely drunk as poo poo when they came up with the schedule. Two weeks off, then back to back games, then almost a month off and more back to back games. :wtf:

I picked up the Bauer Supreme 170s the other day after skating on a cheap rear end pair of Reeboks. Haven't tested them on the ice yet but they felt great when I laced them up. After baking them they're even better. I'm jonesing to hit the ice to try them out.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

calandryll posted:

At least you're not in a league where they were most likely drunk as poo poo when they came up with the schedule. Two weeks off, then back to back games, then almost a month off and more back to back games. :wtf:

Yeah, that would definitely suck. We've had a week or two cancelled before, but usually our worst scheduling problem is just moving an hour up or back.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Played with my new team last night and we won 5-1 though it was closer than the score really suggests.

The nice thing was that even though its not the most skilled team, everyone works well together, talks positively and nobody seemed to be "that guy" on the bench. I played center and won the majority of the draws but was only able to score one goal which was a nice redirect from the point. Our D man teed up a slapper and I saw it the whole way. I'm usually terrible at redireccts but I felt a solid knock and watched the puck change direction on the goalie and going straight into the net. I had a ton of other chances but just couldn't close on any more.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

real_scud posted:

Ice hockey is great, however it's not great when someone takes a shot and it manages to hit the tiny square of ankle between your shinguards and boot. I was facing the guy when he shot and he still somehow managed to peg me there.

Hurt like crazy when it happened in the 1st, but I took a shift off and finished the game. Wasn't too bad until I would try to do a crossover or get a sharp angle and then my boot would dig into my ankle and cause all sorts of pain.

This happened to me ~4 months ago, still have a giant lump on my ankle from where it hit. Dr. told me not to worry as long as there was no pain and full range of motion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My first shin guards were some super light thin deals that went under my skate tongue, and shortly after starting skating I took a wrister right in the top laces, hurt like hell. So I tossed those and got some big beefy shin guards that go over the tongue. I haven't been hit in the exact same way since but I do take a lot of pucks off my legs and it's loving nice to not feel goddamn thing.. only hint that I got hit is the thud noise from the puck hitting plastic.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I'm joining a 4v4 ice hockey league in Central Park and this will be my first real ice hockey ever. I just started learning to skate last year and played in some pickup games but I have a feeling that I'm going to get destroyed in an actual game because my pivots are God awful and I can't skate backwards very fast at all. I have a feeling I'm going to have to play this like an NFL corner and just sit in their guys hip pocket and hope I can make a play catching up to him instead of back skating and forcing him to make a move. What have I gotten myself in to :ohdear:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

So I managed to throw my back out playing goalie on Friday night. :smith:

Gonna be a long week of no hockey.

Thanks for the extra game on Sunday. :downs:

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Jovial Cow posted:

I'm joining a 4v4 ice hockey league in Central Park and this will be my first real ice hockey ever. I just started learning to skate last year and played in some pickup games but I have a feeling that I'm going to get destroyed in an actual game because my pivots are God awful and I can't skate backwards very fast at all. I have a feeling I'm going to have to play this like an NFL corner and just sit in their guys hip pocket and hope I can make a play catching up to him instead of back skating and forcing him to make a move. What have I gotten myself in to :ohdear:

That sounds like a good way to get drawn into taking a hooking/tripping penalty. Try playing as a forward; skating backwards matters less as a forward because even when you're backchecking you'll probably be skating forwards most of the time.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

Thanks for the extra game on Sunday. :downs:

How'd you do?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

How'd you do?

2-1 win, 16 SOG

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

2-1 win, 16 SOG

I would have found a way to gently caress that up.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Just a random post to give a huge thanks to Bewbies for the OP, as well as everyone else for random comments in the thread. It is serving to be a great asset as I jump into not only learning to skate but hopefully learning to play as well. I don't have my first lesson on the ice until this weekend, but this thread has been a huge help thus far.

Just got my skates, and would've likely been lost without the initial info in the OP. Ooohh, so new & shiny and begging to be broken in already.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Same skates I got, luckily there is some pick up tomorrow morning I'm going to play in to get used to them before my next game. First time I ever had the thermomolding before as well.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just remember to get them sharpened. Nothing like trying to step out onto the ice with a flat uncut blade.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

calandryll posted:

Same skates I got, luckily there is some pick up tomorrow morning I'm going to play in to get used to them before my next game. First time I ever had the thermomolding before as well.

Verman posted:

Just remember to get them sharpened. Nothing like trying to step out onto the ice with a flat uncut blade.

I plan to swing by my local rink's shop on the way home tonight to get them baked as well as the initial sharpening.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

calandryll posted:

The baking is supposed to dramatically reduce the break-in period, but based on locker room chatter the past few years it seems pretty hit or miss. Some dudes it works perfectly, other dudes complain for weeks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bake your skates if they're able to be baked. It won't hurt anything.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Stupid question time --

Since I'll be in my initial Learn to Skate segment prior to moving into the Learn to Hockey segment, I am holding off on buying any other gear until I make that transition, (just have my starter helmet and skates for now).

I was just going to wear a shirt with a hoodie/sweatshirt over that, but what about pants? I wear relaxed-fit jeans, but I'm reading that jeans are generally no bueno, not just for movement restriction, but for moisture retention as well. I 'think' I have a pair of regular dockers style pants buried in the closet somewhere, or I could pick up a pair of sweatpants?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Sweatpants would probably be good but if it's a first timer learn to skate thing jeans probably wouldn't be terrible.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
In all honesty I don't feel like modern skates really require a lot of break in time anymore. It seems like the skate companies are preferring to create a skate with materials that break down faster but provide more comfort than skates of the 80s and 90s which took forever to break in.

Baking mostly just softens the boot and lets it conform to your foot. When it cools off and hardens, it retains that shape and should be more comfortable.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Verman posted:

In all honesty I don't feel like modern skates really require a lot of break in time anymore. It seems like the skate companies are preferring to create a skate with materials that break down faster but provide more comfort than skates of the 80s and 90s which took forever to break in.

Baking mostly just softens the boot and lets it conform to your foot. When it cools off and hardens, it retains that shape and should be more comfortable.

Yeah after I bought my pair of one.9s last year, it seemed like I didn't really have much of that weird awkward skating period that you usually experience when you get new skates, however I did get them baked but like posters have said above, it helps but can be hit or miss. Obviously it takes a few games to really get used to them but modern skates have dramatically reduced the break-in time.

I'd also recommend picking up some Superfeet as well. They really helped me since I have a large arch in my foot. This can be debatable as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Madbullogna posted:

Stupid question time --

or I could pick up a pair of sweatpants?

I would definitely wear sweatpants.

And depending on how the class goes I wouldn't be upset at getting shinguards and pants a little more quickly than the rest. To really learn you should be falling a lot, and falling a lot hurts, especially without gear.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're gonna get shinguards, get elbow pads too because after knees your elbows are going to be the most common thing to hit the ice.

And at that point might as well go all in and get all your hockey gear!

If you really don't want to get hockey gear yet, roller-skate knee and elbow pads are a low profile option you can consider. Or just suck it up and deal with the bruises.. figure skaters get by just fine. :v:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Speaking of pads, I really should look into getting a new set of elbow pads. My current ones don't seem to be doing the job anymore. I took a hit and wiped out pretty hard into the ice and then boards about 6 months ago and broke a few small bone chips off in my left elbow. It was swollen and hurt for a week or so but other than the chips it's felt ok for a while now, at least until my last game.

I don't entirely recall how I hit it but early in the game I did something that gave me a pretty sharp pain in my elbow. I didn't pay much attention to it during the rest of the game or even when I was getting out of my gear. I only noticed something was wrong when I was walking to the car and had noticed that my elbow had a pretty decent cut on it. I'm guessing that whatever impact gave me the pain had caused one of the bone chips to try to make a break for it out of my elbow and caused a pinch type cut on the tip of my elbow. Its hard to tell exactly what's going on in my elbow now because its a bit swollen and feels extra mushy where the cut is. I guess I'll have to wait until the cut heals and the swelling goes down before I'll know if I messed my elbow up more that it was before but I think I'm slowly converting my elbow bones into dust with these elbow pads.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm not sure how little experience you have but if you're starting from absolute scratch, here's some nice things for hockey oriented learn to skate programs

skates - hopefully its obvious why you need these

helmet - Since you are going to fall, the worst thing to hit is your head. Ice is essentially cold and slippery concrete and a very common way of falling is straight back. Slamming your head on the ice is a quick way to concussion land and believe me you don't want to go there.

shinguards - Knee protection. Ice is hard, slick, and can have rough patches and ice chunks. Landing directly on your knee can do a surprising amount of damage. Since its a learn to skate class, assume you are going to fall. Why not be protected and enjoy yourself 10x more by not being afraid of falling?

Optional but nice

Gloves - Imagine skating along and then tripping over a hole and falling face first. You put your hands out and skid on your palms for a few feet. Ice isn't always super smooth, especially after skating a while and you can get road rash pretty easily.

elbow pads - Burstitis is really easy to get if you slam on your elbow. I've done it several times (skateboarding) and now my left elbow feels like its made of some chunky material versus being solid.

You might feel and look a little goony showing up with gear to a learn to skate program but if you fall (which you will) you will appreciate having padding in those areas.

Jeans can work but something like sweatpants, workout pants, breezers etc would all work well.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

....And at that point might as well go all in and get all your hockey gear!....

I may have to just go that route, we'll see. I know I'll need to get everything eventually, (it's required before the first day of moving on to the Learn-to-Hockey segment in ~ six weeks). The rink has the following deal:

quote:

Equipment Packages from Chaparral Gear - Everything you need from head to toe at an outstanding price

Helmet w/ face mask, skates*, shoulder pads, elbow pads, gloves, pants, shin guards, neck protector, mouth guard, cup, garter, stick, stick tape, jersey, socks and equipment bag.

*The adult package does not include skates. Adults receive 20% off the purchase price of any skates in the shop.

Youth $250
Junior $300
Adult $325*

Custom Package - This is a great option for a player who wants to upgrade to a more competitive line of equipment. Purchase at least 6 of the 7 items in the following list and receive 20% off of each item: *Helmet * Skates * Breezers * Shoulder Pads * Elbow Pads * Gloves * Shin Guards

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

$325 without skates is ridiculously cheap for all that stuff.

When I bought my first full set of gear I think my bill was slightly under $400, and that didn't include a stick, neck guard, or a mouth guard. They're either giving you dirt cheap junk or just really want you to play hockey.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Good to know. Even if it's dirt-cheap crap, it sounds like it will get me everything I need while I'm still wet behind the ears.

I figure as I get comfortable and learn what works and doesn't work for me, I can slowly upgrade individual items over time. And if I can't get something at the rink shop, it's a good excuse to take a weekend drive up north to the DFW area & visit HockeyGiant, PlayersBench, and/or HockeyWorld while I'm there. I have a feeling it's a good thing the CenTex area doesn't have any mega LHSs, (well, any LHSs for that matter), or I would spend way too much money way to soon on things that wouldn't benefit me at the baby stages.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I would actually not cheap out on elbows, pants, and shins because as a newbie you will be falling a lot and you get a lot more padding in the gear for not that much more money.

e: I replaced all those things very quickly when I started because my elbows, knees, and hips were always bruised and hosed up from falls that my cheap starter gear didn't really protect me from.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 30, 2014

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I bought cheap elbow pads and then I fell on my elbow and my absurdly boney elbow now has nerve damage and hurts fairly often. Get good elbow pads that do good elbow protecting, especially if they are boney.

Usually shin pads are fine cheap, you'll find that as you go up in price more and more of that padding is for your shins and stuff like calf protecting wraps and removable inserts and poo poo. The knee padding doesn't improve as much as the price goes up. Unless you have really boney knees, I guess, then the same advice as above.

Pants, idk. I've never had good pants. Sometimes you fall and it stings or you bruise. I guess look for ones with a tailbone protector? Once you start skating your thighs and rear end should turn into indestructible tree trunks anyways.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Madbullogna posted:

I may have to just go that route, we'll see. I know I'll need to get everything eventually, (it's required before the first day of moving on to the Learn-to-Hockey segment in ~ six weeks). The rink has the following deal:

Generally, if the rink doesn't have it in stock (they probably don't), I know they can order some stuff but I've never tried because it wasn't worth it with goalie gear.
I think I play mixed league with a few guys who have done the LTP with that equipment deal. I'll ask around on Sunday and see what they thought of the gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

Bradf0rd posted:

.... I'll ask around on Sunday and see what they thought of the gear.

Much appreciated. I was surprised how little they had there, (though I'm not really sure what I was expecting). I try to shop local when it makes sense, but have no issues ordering online or driving up to DFW either.