Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

muike posted:

*bursts through door, old west saloon style*

GIBSON MADE A NEW LES PAUL THAT HAS A THINNER BODY AND I THINK ITS REALLY COOL

*takes deep breath* i wish it wasn't really expensive

Less wood = more money

Duh.

The "339" body shape is pretty cool too. It's a scaled down ES-335 style guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that, too, is good, adn i would like one of the epiphone ones.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Anyone have recommendations for books about guitars and/or luthiery (but more narrative, not like how-to guides)? I'm reading Clapton's Guitar: Watching Wayne Henderson Build the Perfect Instrument and really like it so far. It's really more about following a cool old Appalachian guitar builder around than it is about Eric Clapton.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

muike posted:

i think i buy guitars so i can put off deciding on a new amp
I started off doing that, then bought an amp that was okay but not perfect, then bought a VHT Classic 6 despite wanting an Egnater Tweaker, then bought an Egnater Tweaker and am still 100% satisfied a few years on. Then I continued buying guitars and now I have ten and a bass. :downs:

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wouldn't suggest craigslist unless you're very comfortable with your knowledge base on used guitars (like what is cosmetic damage versus serious damage) so you don't get ripped off.
Or if you can fix most serious damage. Just gotta look out for neck twist and other structural flaws that are particularly difficult to fix. I guess fretwork takes some skill, I'm hoping to do a course for that soon as it seems like one of those things where it's better in the long run to learn from someone who can do it really well.

IMO more important, depending what you're looking for, is being able to identify fakes. We've had an influx of fake Gibsons and PRS's over here and they're fairly accurate. To be fair, from what I've heard about the gibson fakes their QC covers the same range as actual Gibsons (i.e. really bad/unable to take weather/finish flaws all the way up to really good players and pretty much flawless) bar the electronics.

Warcabbit posted:

In _general_, the Agile advice is good, or an Xaviere, or a used LP.
Are Xaviere's good now? I heard they were hit and miss at the start.

Gripen5 posted:

Turns out I am not a fan of the LP shape and they are heavy as hell. Mine is over 10 lbs, which doesn't sound heavy until you have it strapped over your shoulder for an hour. Bought a wide padded strap and that only marginally helped.
Definitely an LP thing. I started out thinking that was what I really wanted and I've got a bunch of LP style guitars as a result, and one of them (a greco mint collection lower-end model from 1991) is the best playing guitar I've tried, but I keep going back to my strats. Part of it is probably the fragility, and also that the LP doesn't sit comfortably on me when I'm sitting on my bed.

muike posted:

yeah i don't understand why they don't offer all the time since it's a very obvious improvement
b-b-but muh tradition!!!! :qq:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
so i am kinda GASing for a gretsch style guitar kinda hard atm. Is there any sort of cheaper clone that I should keep an eye out that would be comparable. I know Aria and the Artcore series but, are they more towards the 335 or Getsch type?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

iostream.h posted:

Are you talking about the Custom Lite models?
I bought one of them brand-new in 1989, kept it for years and years and it went everywhere with me until it got ripped off during load out one night, still one of my favorite guitars, absolutely perfect in every way.

That's the bad thing about getting old, I was thrilled when they were reissued until I saw the price and still can't get it out of my head 'hell, I paid less than a grand for one of those bah damned kids get off'n my lawn!'.

They've reissued them several times over the years. Two years or so ago I think they had one around 1800, which isn't terribly unreasonable. The Les Paul Less is over 2K though.

I like em, but IMO they're not terribly different from an SG in feel and sound. And I like SGs more than an LP, so...

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

so i am kinda GASing for a gretsch style guitar kinda hard atm. Is there any sort of cheaper clone that I should keep an eye out that would be comparable. I know Aria and the Artcore series but, are they more towards the 335 or Getsch type?
Don't know about Aria, but Artcores cover a pretty wide range. They have some 335 copies (even a 330L copy), but they have four that are sort of like Falcon copies (humbuckers and bigsbys):

AF75TDG: single cutaway, full-sized body (15 3/4" lower bout, 3 5/8" max depth)
AFS75T: single cutaway, thin body (same lower bout, 2 5/8" max depth)
AFD75T: double cutaway, full-sized body
AGR73T: single cutaway, small body (14 1/2" lower bout, 2 7/8" max depth, 5/8" shorter)

Dunno what they sound like, but most people seem pretty happy with their Artcores (I have an older one, an AF84E, which was good for the price).

(Sorry about all the edits, if you saw this post earlier!)

Edit: Ibanez isn't very helpful here, but going by Sweetwater, it looks like all the single cutaway models are hollowbodies and the AFD75T is semi-hollow.

Pyrthas fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 29, 2014

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Gretsches (generally, 6120 style is what people mean) are hollow, 335's are not.

If you are a metal dude then you probably don't want a hollowbody like a standard gretsch 6120 style. They make new ones with a center block (semi-hollow) but they aren't a great value.

I play country/rockabilly/goofy poo poo so I don't really run into the feedback issues people do when they play heavy music on a hollowbody. You can diminsh the feedback by plugging the holes or sticking poo poo in the body, but you are better off just getting the right guitar from the get-go.

Gretsch hollowbody guitars are not as plug-and-play as other guitars. The bridge can cause headaches if you do not have access to a really good tech. The bigsby does not like the standard bridge on the cheaper electromatic models, and regardless you are going to have to deal with a floating bridge.

My Gretsch (electromatic even :( )is my prized possesion, but you have to be warned. Basically:

If just you want the Gretsch sound: Get a Cabronita Telecaster.

If you want the hollowbody look: Get some 335/339 thingie.

If you still want the Gretsch, just understand you aren't going to get the same value you get with other guitars. You are gonna pay more and have more hassle. And this is coming from someone who owns mostly Gretsch instruments.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

40 OZ posted:

Gretsches (generally, 6120 style is what people mean) are hollow, 335's are not.

If you are a metal dude then you probably don't want a hollowbody like a standard gretsch 6120 style. They make new ones with a center block (semi-hollow) but they aren't a great value.

I play country/rockabilly/goofy poo poo so I don't really run into the feedback issues people do when they play heavy music on a hollowbody. You can diminsh the feedback by plugging the holes or sticking poo poo in the body, but you are better off just getting the right guitar from the get-go.

Gretsch hollowbody guitars are not as plug-and-play as other guitars. The bridge can cause headaches if you do not have access to a really good tech. The bigsby does not like the standard bridge on the cheaper electromatic models, and regardless you are going to have to deal with a floating bridge.

My Gretsch (electromatic even :( )is my prized possesion, but you have to be warned. Basically:

If just you want the Gretsch sound: Get a Cabronita Telecaster.

If you want the hollowbody look: Get some 335/339 thingie.

If you still want the Gretsch, just understand you aren't going to get the same value you get with other guitars. You are gonna pay more and have more hassle. And this is coming from someone who owns mostly Gretsch instruments.

Seriously, thanks for this post. You just talked me out of buying or thinking about buying one. I have bright as heck jazzmaster that I should just consider continue tinkering with to get my sound. I really want a vibrato bar but, from what I have heard all here, that they can be a disaster.

I just really want that washed out surf sound. But then again, the problem is that is kinda hard to get it when youre pushing your amp so loud. Loud amp problems :[

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 29, 2014

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Seriously, thanks for this post. You just talked me out of buying or thinking about buying one. I have bright as heck jazzmaster that I should just consider continue tinkering with to get my sound. I really want a vibrato bar but, from what I have heard all here, that they can be a disaster.

I just really want that washed out surf sound. But then again, the problem is that is kinda hard to get it when youre pushing your amp so loud. Loud amp problems :[
Replacement pickups are probably the best way to get there IMO, but it depends on whether your amp is pulling its weight.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Sleepflower posted:

Replacement pickups are probably the best way to get there IMO, but it depends on whether your amp is pulling its weight.

well I have PAF humbuckers in it at the moment and with them split, I feel pretty close.

amp is either a v4 or a 200w custom bassman circuit.

if I was to go the pickup route, what do ya suggest?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

1 - Lower the pickups.
2 - If you have an MIJ Jazzy then you gotta replace the pickups. Antiquity Is are the darkest I've heard, but people really seem to like the new Fender True Vintage ones.
3 - Do you have 500K pots for some reason? Try 250s.

Also, a Jazzmaster should have a trem, it's amazingly stable and you can be all smug when people bitch about their stupid pointy guitars' trems.

EDIT - Same-time-post, just saw your Jazzmaster has humbuckers. Best way to make it warmer and the world a better place is burning it, sorry.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

well I have PAF humbuckers in it at the moment and with them split, I feel pretty close.

amp is either a v4 or a 200w custom bassman circuit.

if I was to go the pickup route, what do ya suggest?

The quintessential gretsch pickup is the TV Jones Classic.

http://tvjones.com/

TV Jones was Brian Setzer's guitar tech. Setzer basically brought Gretsch back to life by himself. He didn't think the standard pickups sounded like the old stuff (the old gretsch building burned to the ground, they lost the plans and designs to lots of stuff.)

Anyways, now Gretsch uses this pickup in all their high end 6120 stuff.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
haha yeah well the guitar came with custom wound PAF and it's a custom build that cost 2000+ to make that I got for less than 500 so I am not complaining.

it has a really nice graphite hard tail bridge so dunno if I wanna replace it.

but I'll look at those tv jones and see what's up. could always put the pafs I have in it now in my sg.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

haha yeah well the guitar came with custom wound PAF and it's a custom build that cost 2000+ to make that I got for less than 500 so I am not complaining.

but I'll look at those tv jones and see what's up. could always put the pafs I have in it now in my sg.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother. I was just saying for posterity.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

A buddy of mine used to play Yamaha Weddingtons. They debuted in the 2k+ range and he'd find them in pawn shops all the time for around and under 500.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Have you thought about trying flatwounds? You'll of course have to like the feel and tone of them but I think they work perfect on Jazzmasters if you want that percussive washed out surf sound. They can tame hot and bright pickups well enough. I've got them on mine (very hot P90s) right now and it's interesting.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Have you thought about trying flatwounds? You'll of course have to like the feel and tone of them but I think they work perfect on Jazzmasters if you want that percussive washed out surf sound. They can tame hot and bright pickups well enough. I've got them on mine (very hot P90s) right now and it's interesting.

I just put a set of Chromes on my ESP and I love the way they feel and sound, as I'm a habitual finger dragger. I couldn't tell you if they sound any better, definitely warmer, but I'm new to this stuff so my opinion is moot.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

pointlessone posted:

I know it's classic shape, but I'd really like it if someone would contour off that upper edge. Something that plays like a tele, but is comfy like a strat.

Classy. As. gently caress.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-XV-950-Rockabilly-Hollowbody-Guitars_c_311.html

The pickups are quite nice.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 30, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
lol hey guys what's the model numbers of this guitar that's very obviously a 1421

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

kinda digging that surf green one but it's outta stock, which leaves me time to research! thanks.

I have thought about flat wounds and after I go through my current strings I'll try slapping on a pair. seems most here like chromes the best?

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 30, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'll send you some chromes if you'd like instead of you dropping the $10 on something you may not gel with. What gauges do you use?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'll send you some chromes if you'd like instead of you dropping the $10 on something you may not gel with. What gauges do you use?

Just wanted to say this is the kind of attitude we should have with each other here in ML, and not trying to gouge each other in the Gear Trade Thread. :hfive:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Warcabbit posted:

Why do they not sell these anymore

Why

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Warcabbit posted:

The pickups are quite nice.

Is that a p90 in the neck? I want one of these in surf green exceedingly bad right now, and then I see this

Declan MacManus posted:

Why do they not sell these anymore

Why

WHY?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

pointlessone posted:

Is that a p90 in the neck? I want one of these in surf green exceedingly bad right now, and then I see this

It actually looks like a mini-humbucker. Though a dual-P90 offset would be pretty drat cool.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

umalt posted:

It actually looks like a mini-humbucker. Though a dual-P90 offset would be pretty drat cool.

Yeah, it's a minibucker.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

Usually go with 52 but, I imagine it could go down if needed. flats tend to have more tension, right? That would be amazing, if you dont have PMs you can hit me up here theyeattheirowngod @ gmail

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

kinda digging that surf green one but it's outta stock, which leaves me time to research! thanks.

I have thought about flat wounds and after I go through my current strings I'll try slapping on a pair. seems most here like chromes the best?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-Guitars_c_185.html

Guess what's on clearance...

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-JT90-Offset-Hybrid-Guitar-GFS-Pickups-Vintage-Sunburst-Solid-Alder-Body--Blem_p_14082.html

How about this one?

E: Did someone say P90s?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-JT40-Floating-trem-P90s-SOLID-ASH-Natural-Finish--Blem_p_14085.html

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh God, All of Sleater-Kinney's remastered back catalog is on Spotify now. So Good.

God help me I want put together an all-male SK cover band, complete with dresses and wigs (and/or bunny suits). I just need a better guitarist that can sing tenor and a drummer that's 1/3rd as good as Janet Weiss.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

that rockabilly semi hollow looks pppppppretty rad. anyone own any of the guitars they are sending out? I can scour the internet message boards but, you know how some of those are filled with common-hater-purists.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Remulak posted:

Oh God, All of Sleater-Kinney's remastered back catalog is on Spotify now. So Good.

God help me I want put together an all-male SK cover band, complete with dresses and wigs (and/or bunny suits). I just need a better guitarist that can sing tenor and a drummer that's 1/3rd as good as Janet Weiss.

I'll see you at the practice space!

(Make that band)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Usually go with 52 but, I imagine it could go down if needed. flats tend to have more tension, right? That would be amazing, if you dont have PMs you can hit me up here theyeattheirowngod @ gmail

I've got 11-50 and 12-52. If you're used to 52 rounds you could probably get a good feel with the 11-50s. They are quite stiff. I'll shoot you an email tonight or tomorrow morning, busy day at the moment :)

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
The other night was the first time I've heard a guitarist complain about having to switch from standard to drop D tuning. Really? Changing to drop D twice in a set is that much to complain about?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

booshi posted:

The other night was the first time I've heard a guitarist complain about having to switch from standard to drop D tuning. Really? Changing to drop D twice in a set is that much to complain about?

Unless they were using a floating trem, yeah, that's pretty lame. I guess it does throw out your intonation just slightly?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

booshi posted:

What kind of guitar do they have? Also drop D is heresy.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Sleepflower posted:

Unless they were using a floating trem, yeah, that's pretty lame. I guess it does throw out your intonation just slightly?

No trem.

Spanish Manlove posted:

What kind of guitar do they have? Also drop D is heresy.

I can't remember exactly, may have been a PRS? It was a stupid cover band anyway, and I never have to see them again as it was my ex's band.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've got 11-50 and 12-52. If you're used to 52 rounds you could probably get a good feel with the 11-50s. They are quite stiff. I'll shoot you an email tonight or tomorrow morning, busy day at the moment :)

that sounds awesome dude, thanks again!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

booshi posted:

It's nothing to bitch about, but I'm sort of scratching my head wondering why they didn't arrange the setlist so all the drop D songs were together so there was only a need to change tunings once during the set.
Adding in additional setup/rearrangement time only adds delays between songs, slows the momentum and causes the audience to get bored and restless.

We set it up so it's split, set #1 is ½ standard, ½ drop D, set #2 is the same and set #3 is usually all drop D.

Also, even on a floating trem it's not a big deal. Spend some time at home doing 'emergency drills', get used to re-tuning to drop D on the fly so you can do it quickly if need be. My P90 LP decided to go microphonic on me this weekend during a drop D section, had to grab my PRS, dropped D, quick tuning adjustment, go. Only took a couple of extra seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

that rockabilly semi hollow looks pppppppretty rad. anyone own any of the guitars they are sending out? I can scour the internet message boards but, you know how some of those are filled with common-hater-purists.

A friend owns it. It's not a Gretch, but the pickups are good and gretchy, it's got a good bigsbyoid on it (he owns an earlier model with the X-Trem) and it plays well enough that he, er, went and bought a real Gretch and yet won't give the original to me no matter how many times he promises it.

Hey, guys.

HALLOWEEN AXE PICTURE TIME!

I'll get one tonight.

Edit: Got home too late.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 31, 2014