Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All double-feature extravaganza!

Pearls Before Swine, although I think the first one might actually be Kevin and Kell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

Wow it's a good thing Samantha wasn't on a multi-year trip to Mars or anything or everyone would've been hosed.

Why do you have that thing in the first place?! :argh:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

He doesn't realize he's wearing a mask?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mister Beeg posted:

...Goddammit :smith:

And the cake always had one candle, too. :cry:

e: Just as a reminder, this is how he marked Halloween in 1955.

Those bottom two panels land especially hard when you know what they really mean.

Skippy (August 24, 1927)

Peanuts (October 30, 1967)

There's a Sunday strip before this one, but since we probably won't be getting back to it, here's some optional reading.

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 16-17, 1925)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 30, 2014

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Holy poo poo Val.

Prince Valiant just made Modesty Blaise look like Rose is Rose. :stare:

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
I lost internet for about a month a while back and it's taken me months to finally catch up with all the pages and pages of this thread since. Literally, months, going through a few pages a day. It's been a long, eventful journey; seeing the fall of Everett True's beatings and rise of Out Our Way and the ballad of Smokey; trying to make sense of what the hell is going on in Jane's World; not even bothering to make sense of what is going on in 9 Chickweed Lane; learning why people love Peanuts; discovering that the Creeps is the best thing ever; and wondering why nobody comments on Lost Side of Suburbia which is awesome. But most of all, the number one thing I've discovered is...

Holy poo poo Val

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They didn't have time to drag him off for a proper trial, torture and execution, and the guy obviously wouldn't have made an interesting trial by combat.

Just another day in the life of a cheeky 4-10th century teenager (is he still a teenager? I lost track of how many years it's been). The Emmy Lou of his era.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac likes to moov it moov it.

Poptropica

Heathcliff

I really like Lost Side of Suburbia, it really becomes fascinating with Dering Do Dan's tales, and beyond. It's about to start getting enthrallingly good in the next tale.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Holy... Did.. He just up and executed that guy like it ain't no thang, didn't he? I'll certainly not look at Val's big ol' gay smile the same, that's for sure.

Jane's World

Well, you let an airhead guard a prisoner. What did you think would happen?

Non Sequitur

You usually never play your eco-political cynicism card when you feature Cap'n Eddie, Wiley, why'd you have to do that and ruin this?

Heavenly Nostrils

It's like the Tardis. Way bigger on the inside than on the outside.

E: loving typo. Targis is a prostate treatment. I don't even know.

Kliban's Cats

:)

9 Chickweed Lane 10/30/2003

Stop it, Amos, you're just being loving weird now. Hey, I wonder how Brooke's stupid play "Many Mansions" did. It was supposed to run 10/23 to 10/26. If I get some time today, I'll try and scare something up about it on the Google.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

That's horrible. OK, we can go back to the bullying storyline now.

:)

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 30, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't the dad in Zits a dentist?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Even still, he eventually gave up and married Gamma anyways.

Actually, I've been thinking about that. What if -- and this might be attributing too much subtlety to Brooke -- what if that's not what happened?

What if Bill gave up on Edna/Eva, and stayed in Europe with Martine, and got someone else to go back to America for him in his place because he thought Edna was waiting for him? A voluntary Don Draper routine?

And that's why he refused to see Edna for so long, that's why he claimed to have horrible memory loss, that's why he wasn't ever really happy with Edna, that's why ultimately Juliet seems to have found Bill's grave in France instead of in America?

God dammit, why do I know so much about 9 Chickweed Lane...

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Huh?

Dethany's playing matchmaker. (Carl's a single father, I think.)

If you write, I will make it better.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Parahexavoctal posted:

God dammit, why do I know so much about 9 Chickweed Lane...

how, is a much better question. This whole thing is completely impenetrable to me.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Holy... Did.. He just up and executed that guy like it ain't no thang, didn't he? I'll certainly not look at Val's big ol' gay smile the same, that's for sure.

Well, the guy was poaching King's deer and waylaying travellers to rob them as a regular thing. Both of those probably were hanging offenses, and Val is a knight of the King's Court, so, King's justice. He did look like he was enjoying it, though.

Also: Comic Strip Megathread XV: Holy poo poo, Val.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set realizes that the magic is gone.

Working Daze should probably go into the polititoons thread today.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

and since it only seems to show up irregularly

Intelligent life

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 30, 2014

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

bonestructure posted:

Prince Valiant just made Modesty Blaise look like Rose is Rose. :stare:

Oh really?

Modesty Blaise

Okay, maybe not as cold blooded but come on, chucking a sword into a guy?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Isn't the dad in Zits a dentist?

Orthodontist, actually. So, probably much less tolerance for dumb kids who don't wear their retainers and screw up his work.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Manuel Calavera posted:

Well that was unexpected since I haven't been following Val. What the gently caress lead up to that?

The "priest" was actually a robber who invites travelers to set aside their weapons and armor to pray with them, but then kills them and takes their belongings. He tried to stab Val in the back as he was kneeling to pray, but Val's too crafty for that and was still secretly wearing a shirt of mail beneath his clothes. And if you come at Val you best not miss :black101:

I seriously can't deal with how unbelievably amazing Classic Prince Valiant is. The art, the writing, the stories, it's all just perfect. I'm probably going to end up buying all the Hal Foster collections thanks to this thread.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The "priest" was actually a robber who invites travelers to set aside their weapons and armor to pray with them, but then kills them and takes their belongings. He tried to stab Val in the back as he was kneeling to pray, but Val's too crafty for that and was still secretly wearing a shirt of mail beneath his clothes. And if you come at Val you best not miss :black101:

I seriously can't deal with how unbelievably amazing Classic Prince Valiant is. The art, the writing, the stories, it's all just perfect. I'm probably going to end up buying all the Hal Foster collections thanks to this thread.

That's hella expensive, you know. Fantagraphics has 11 volumes so far, at ~$25 each, and that only carries up to 1958.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze should probably go into the polititoons thread today.

Good, someone finally told this rear end in a top hat that "scarifying" doesn't mean what he thinks it does.

Kammat posted:

Oh really?

Modesty Blaise

Okay, maybe not as cold blooded but come on, chucking a sword into a guy?

:neckbeard:

I was wondering what they were up to.

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 30, 2014

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent life

The fact that the utterly banal tripe like "Man I totally eat Halloween candy" is the least annoying part of this strip just speaks volumes. Like, we're talking entire libraries here. And yet I cannot look away. This strip is like one miscarriage plot away from being an ironic phenomenon.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

don Jaime posted:

Pickles! More about velcro.

My work uniform's like that. It uses snap on clips, but it has fake buttons on top so it looks good. It's great being able to tear it off like that, but the only problem is that I want to undress that way whenever I put on a real button up shirt now.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Attitude Indicator posted:

how, is a much better question. This whole thing is completely impenetrable to me.

Seriously? You're not just humorously exaggerating your confusion because of distaste (and by analogy with Pibgorn, which really IS a largely unintelligible mess)?

Maybe it helps that I fell behind on the thread and therefore read large amounts of 9CL strips in rapid succession. Maybe Brooke's plotting is being obscured by having to chop it into three-panel installments (and being presented with Brooke's art and characterization and dialogue). The "It Happened One Night" delirium, for instance, might have been less insufferable if he hadn't dragged it out for so long.

Anyway, enough about the mess that is 9CL. How about the mess that was John Darling!!!

In today's strips, John has gone from wandering around backstage at Saturday Night Live, to a front-row seat. The special guest is Steve Martin.

Punchline to strip 1: John does not understand why a comedy program would have a comedian as special guest.

Punchline to strip 2: John has a grossly inaccurate understanding of his own ability; specifically, he thinks that a pair of Groucho glasses are enough to make him as funny as Steve Martin.

edit: better quality image

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 30, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent life

Woah. One of those was actually amusing. Didn't expect that to happen.

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Subtle. Very well done.

eta: Also - am I the only one who finds the caricatures in John Darling creepy and weird? They're so detailed compared to the rest of the comic, and the big heads on small bodies just really is off-putting.

I will say that reading it is giving me a new respect for Funky Winkerbean for only being depressing and terrible rather than as aggressively misanthropic and terrible as John Darling.

Eschers Basement fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 30, 2014

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

SomeMathGuy posted:

The fact that the utterly banal tripe like "Man I totally eat Halloween candy" is the least annoying part of this strip just speaks volumes. Like, we're talking entire libraries here. And yet I cannot look away. This strip is like one miscarriage plot away from being an ironic phenomenon.

I'm still not completely convinced that whoever is making Unintelligent Tripe is not just Tim Buckley with a pseudonym.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Laputanmachine posted:

I'm still not completely convinced that whoever is making Unintelligent Tripe is not just Tim Buckley with a pseudonym.

Actually the true story might be that Reddik or what's his name stole Buckley's total crapiness, because CAD is now... Okay. Not something for me since I almost never get the references anymore, but okay for people interested in AAA titles and such.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Comic Strip Megathread XV: Holy poo poo, Val

I'm a little disappointed that these Lots of Hats Comix will never get that kind of reaction.

Pooch Café

On the one hand, it's not really fair to take any of this out on Chazz. On the other hand, gently caress Chazz.

Ballard Street

I kind of want one of those now. It's got kind of a Rufio-chic to it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County pulls out the big advice guns.

Calvin And Hobbes draw from Watterson's college days, I guess?

Ripley's

My next couple days of posts will probably be delayed, since I'm playing at a concert festival. Catch-up posts will happen once I return. Happy early Halloween to all who care!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Eschers Basement posted:

eta: Also - am I the only one who finds the caricatures in John Darling creepy and weird? They're so detailed compared to the rest of the comic, and the big heads on small bodies just really is off-putting.

I was thinking the style reminded me a lot of Sam Viviano, who also tends to do the "mascot-size head on normal-size body" thing.

Oh, and I completely missed that the non-Batiuk half of Armstrong/Batiuk was Tom Armstrong, who now does a nearly endless stream of poop jokes in Marvin.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Eschers Basement posted:

Also - am I the only one who finds the caricatures in John Darling creepy and weird? They're so detailed compared to the rest of the comic, and the big heads on small bodies just really is off-putting.

Really? You find these off-putting and creepy and weird?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Parahexavoctal posted:

I have to admit, as caricatures, they're really pretty good in my opinion.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mehuyael posted:

Actually the true story might be that Reddik or what's his name stole Buckley's total crapiness, because CAD is now... Okay. Not something for me since I almost never get the references anymore, but okay for people interested in AAA titles and such.

Perhaps it's like some sort of nonlethal Highlander scenario, and the IL guy absorbed the Lossening. On the other hand, the last time I checked the webcomic thread, CAD was in a very literal sense just words words words, so I'm somewhat skeptical of your assessment.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

Perhaps it's like some sort of nonlethal Highlander scenario, and the IL guy absorbed the Lossening. On the other hand, the last time I checked the webcomic thread, CAD was in a very literal sense just words words words, so I'm somewhat skeptical of your assessment.

Buckley got a colorist recently (Kate Finnegan), who has serious chops and is doing an impressive job of elevating CAD's art.

Personally I still dislike the writing and think he could stand to work a lot harder on his lines, but it's honestly a huge improvement and cool to see him taking his poo poo more seriously.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I have to admit, as caricatures, they're really pretty good in my opinion.

As caricatures, they're great - I can recognize nearly every one of the faces in that image, and the ones I can't are probably because I don't remember who the person is.

It's just that, when those very detailed, semi-realistic faces appear right next to the regular "cartoon" characters with their smooth skin and open expressions and the like, it's off-putting. It's two completely different styles juxtaposed and it throws me.

Look at Darling in that picture - his eyes are two little dots in a giant sea of glasses that take up half his face. Everyone else - including the people with glasses - has detailed wrinkle lines and expressive eyes. Darling has a cheek line that only appears because he's half-smirking, where everyone else has obvious laugh lines and cheek bones. If it was just Darling, maybe it'd be an expression of how Darling is plastic and soft and without any real substance as a talking head, but that's Batiuk's normal style, and every non-celebrity character in the strip looks like that. So when the celebrity shows up, with so much more detail to their features and with a slightly larger head to contain all of that detail... eh, maybe it's just me that finds it jarring.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Kismet posted:

Buckley got a colorist recently (Kate Finnegan), who has serious chops and is doing an impressive job of elevating CAD's art.

Personally I still dislike the writing and think he could stand to work a lot harder on his lines, but it's honestly a huge improvement and cool to see him taking his poo poo more seriously.
Well gently caress me sideways, that actually looks decent. Highlander it is.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I do not get that IL edit.

Edit: is the joke just "ha ha he said gently caress"

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 30, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

From the gif thread:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Parahexavoctal posted:

I know "Marvin" was never a great strip, but wow, there was a time when Tom Armstrong knew how to draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Eschers Basement posted:

I will say that reading it is giving me a new respect for Funky Winkerbean for only being depressing and terrible rather than as aggressively misanthropic and terrible as John Darling.

Clearly, it is time for Classic Funky

Extra one because I missed posting one yesterday, and I'd rather just get this story over with.

• Locked thread