Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

Comic book readers can't comprehend why the writers would deviate from their precious canon.

Also, the show runners said so.

Yeah, she was literally introduced as Black Canary at the show's first Comic Con panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

Comic book readers can't comprehend why the writers would deviate from their precious canon.

Uh, we were right?

Also, the multi-episode arc where Merlyn is a member of Team Arrow is a mortal lock now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently in the script Sara's line in the premiere, "Laurel Lance, always trying to save the world" was actually "Dinah Laurel Lance..." but I guess they changed it for airing.

She was definitely called that in the pilot

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rarity posted:

She was definitely called that in the pilot

Yeah, the line was a call-back. It's Tommy who says it originally, I think?

Before the premiere, one of the writers/producers/somebody posted the quote on their Twitter saying it was a preview from the episode. Then I noticed they cut out the Dinah.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, she was literally introduced as Black Canary at the show's first Comic Con panel.

Huh, that is honestly not what I expected. I liked Sara because she really looked the part - Laurel could certainly be a heroine on TV, but Sara had the kind of muscle build and character background that made her a believable Canary. Laurel just seems like a random skinny hot chick. Without any outside knowledge, I just assumed Sara was the comic-book Canary and Laurel was just her made-for-TV sister.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Someone was asking but yeah it's the exact same coffee shop in Flash and Arrow.
http://imgur.com/a/HDYTT

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Someone was asking but yeah it's the exact same coffee shop in Flash and Arrow.
http://imgur.com/a/HDYTT

To be fair, it is a chain.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

I was gonna say, that's a long ride out just for some coffee.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I'm not talking poo poo I think it's fine to reuse sets. Someone was just asking in the thread earlier.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Seriously though, is someone feeding Slade? That question about the prison in The Flash got me thinking.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I'm not talking poo poo I think it's fine to reuse sets. Someone was just asking in the thread earlier.

Reusing sets saves a poo poo ton of cash. Hell it looks like Agents of Shield and Agent Carter are going to use the same main set, just redressed for different time periods.

thrawn527 posted:

Seriously though, is someone feeding Slade? That question about the prison in The Flash got me thinking.

There was an ARGUS sign on the door, they're probably keeping him fed.

And if you all haven't follow Katie Cassidy on Facebook. She's constantly posting from the gym, she's serious about getting the right look to be Black Canary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I also thought she did a really good job in the ep last night and her being all "GRAAAH KILL FOR REVENGE" is going to be an interesting counterpoint to Ollie as well as an interesting parallel to his pre-no-kill days.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Huh, that is honestly not what I expected. I liked Sara because she really looked the part - Laurel could certainly be a heroine on TV, but Sara had the kind of muscle build and character background that made her a believable Canary. Laurel just seems like a random skinny hot chick. Without any outside knowledge, I just assumed Sara was the comic-book Canary and Laurel was just her made-for-TV sister.

I guess I'm kinda confused what you were asking then- is it why did they get rid of Sara to have Laurel become Canary now?

If that's it, it's because you probably didn't have anything particularly dramatic for either one of them to do if you didn't kill off Sara. By the end of S2 Laurel was basically a creaky 5th wheel to any super-hero story, and unless you were going to have Oliver in a regular relationship w/ Sara for an extended period of time really all she was going to do was show up, have some nice fight scenes, and leave. There wasn't a lot of interest it seemed in trying to have Sara go through the same return-to-society story Oliver was/is already doing. And it wasn't like there was more you could do in tearing down Laurel's life at that point- and if her big turn-around was to get her DA job back? God what a boring payoff that'd be for a show that pretty much runs their characters through drama like a Ferrari on a test-track.

edit- also you were getting a huge log-jam of Oliver ex-girlfriends and some of them had to go for...pathos

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think his question is actually why we were all so sure Laurel would become Black Canary and that Sara was just temporary.

If you didn't know the name thing and didn't hear about the producer confirmation it's not surprising to think that Laurel was the made up character.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

I also thought she did a really good job in the ep last night and her being all "GRAAAH KILL FOR REVENGE" is going to be an interesting counterpoint to Ollie as well as an interesting parallel to his pre-no-kill days.

HUNTRESS 2.0

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Laurel is going to need a lot more than boxing/MMA if she's going to go after Malcolm,

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Drifter posted:

HUNTRESS 2.0

I thought that was Sara and Roy?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Aphrodite posted:

Laurel is going to need a lot more than boxing/MMA if she's going to go after Malcolm,

On a related note, I wonder if Laurel has one of those Canary Cry devices lying around. She'll need to pick one up eventually if she doesn't!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

On a related note, I wonder if Laurel has one of those Canary Cry devices lying around. She'll need to pick one up eventually if she doesn't!

Wait Laurel, no! That's not your sandwich!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I think his question is actually why we were all so sure Laurel would become Black Canary and that Sara was just temporary.

If you didn't know the name thing and didn't hear about the producer confirmation it's not surprising to think that Laurel was the made up character.

Oh- well I think my answer still explains it. I mean at the end of last season it was looking like the show runners had maybe decided people were just so in love w/ Sara they were going to keep her- but from a story perspective having Sara die and Laurel take over her Canary persona for vengeance is like the melodrama equivalent of a layup.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm nearly caught up on Arrow at the moment after starting it because I enjoyed Flash so much, but what's with the hate for the Huntress episodes? I've been reading through this thread to see some reactions now that I've started season three, and there's even some in the Flash thread as soon as the show is mentioned and I don't really get it personally. I enjoyed those episodes I think just because it was nice seeing Ollie actually opening up to someone and chatting with them honestly about his experiences on Lian Yu, rather than constantly being evasive or lying through his teeth about the entire thing. Something he's still doing 2 seasons later if the first episode of season three is any indication. Helena overplays the whole revenge thing, but then Sara plays up that whole "I'm too far gone to be redeemed :emo: angle" too and there seems to be quite a bit of love for her here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

tsob posted:

I'm nearly caught up on Arrow at the moment after starting it because I enjoyed Flash so much, but what's with the hate for the Huntress episodes? I've been reading through this thread to see some reactions now that I've started season three, and there's even some in the Flash thread as soon as the show is mentioned and I don't really get it personally. I enjoyed those episodes I think just because it was nice seeing Ollie actually opening up to someone and chatting with them honestly about his experiences on Lian Yu, rather than constantly being evasive or lying through his teeth about the entire thing. Something he's still doing 2 seasons later if the first episode of season three is any indication. Helena overplays the whole revenge thing, but then Sara plays up that whole "I'm too far gone to be redeemed :emo: angle" too and there seems to be quite a bit of love for her here.

It's just here mostly that bitches about Huntress.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

tsob posted:

I think Sara or her stunt-double makes cooler fight scenes than the girl who played the Huntress and her stunt double. That's probably about it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
People like [the actresses that play] Sara but don't like Helena because Sara has youtube videos of herself breakdancing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

tsob posted:

I thought the Huntress episode at the end of season 1 wasn't terrible, and the Huntress focused episode in season 2 was pretty good. That episode also left the character in a pretty interesting position, so I'm curious where they'll take her in the future.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

zoux posted:

When Nyssa came to talk to her in the gym and mentioned that jacket again I couldn't decide if I wanted Laurel to say something like "I don't deserve to wear it, but I will (deserve to wear it)" or if that would be a complete groaner.

Thankfully the writers aren't as lovely as I would be!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

thrawn527 posted:

Somebody in the Flash thread said they imagined ARGUS would lower a live deer into his cell every few days and that's how I imagine it now too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
By the by, the extended preview for the next episode lends a great deal of credence to Brother Eye/OMAC virus speculation. :catstare:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Edit: I am an idiot and thought I was in the Flash thread :downs:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, this was it. It'd have been a lot more obvious if I knew it was actually Dinah Lance watching her sister as the Canary. And I thought Sara was a really convincing Canary, too. She spent years fighting for her life and joining the League of Assassins, and the actor was in incredible shape, and muscular to the point that I could believe she would be kicking these goons' asses in real life, too. I'm not sure how skinny waif Laurel, who's been in school or an office job all her life, would think she'd be able to survive in a lifestyle that Sara failed at.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, this was it. It'd have been a lot more obvious if I knew it was actually Dinah Lance watching her sister as the Canary. And I thought Sara was a really convincing Canary, too. She spent years fighting for her life and joining the League of Assassins, and the actor was in incredible shape, and muscular to the point that I could believe she would be kicking these goons' asses in real life, too. I'm not sure how skinny waif Laurel, who's been in school or an office job all her life, would think she'd be able to survive in a lifestyle that Sara failed at.

The power of Wildcat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is it just me or was the location where Nyssa and Ollie stalked and confronted Merlyn the first time the exact same location Mockingbird got intel from the Japanese weapon designer on S.H.I.E.L.D Tuesday?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

The power of Wildcat.

She used to kick people's asses a lot in S1.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Phenotype posted:

I'm not sure how skinny waif Laurel, who's been in school or an office job all her life, would think she'd be able to survive in a lifestyle that Sara failed at.

Man, that Ollie's just a gormless prettyboy oaf who's never had to fight for anything in his whole life. He's never going to survive on this island!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

The power of Wildcat.

I completely forgot Ted showed up. My JSA fantasy is gonna happen!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

Man, that Ollie's just a gormless prettyboy oaf who's never had to fight for anything in his whole life. He's never going to survive on this island!

Haha, that's my point, though - Ollie had to survive the island! I dunno how they'll end up giving Laurel the equivalent of five years of harsh survival and training, maybe just kinda handwave it like Roy, but you have to admit that one of those two girls is way more intimidating than the other. And she died. :(

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rarity posted:

I'm not saying that Laurel can't get to a good position, but it's fairly strongly implied that it took Ollie the full five years he was gone to get to his level at the start of S1, and Roy got completely shut down by Nyssa even training with Ollie for a good while.

Still, I think Laurel will get to a believable level in time (like, say, the end of the season.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

I'm not saying that Laurel can't get to a good position, but it's fairly strongly implied that it took Ollie the full five years he was gone to get to his level at the start of S1, and Roy got completely shut down by Nyssa even training with Ollie for a good while.

Still, I think Laurel will get to a believable level in time (like, say, the end of the season.)

He actually spends the first like 8 months not doing much of anything.

And then he doesn't seem to be getting any actual training in Hong Kong.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nothing teaches better than 1) dead family members and 2) experience. Just keep tossing Laurel into fights she can't win through the rest of the season, that'll work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Nothing teaches better than 1) dead family members and 2) experience. Just keep tossing Laurel into fights she can't win through the rest of the season, that'll work out.

You know at some point she will be trained by Ollie, Diggle and Ted.

• Locked thread