Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Erebus posted:

I'm not sure how a story about Van Damme loving up an entire production so he can get wasted and cheat on his wife gives one a "new appreciation" for him.

JCVD posted:

I was blessed and had a lot of 'wives'. I always believed in love. It's hard for a woman with three kids to say, "Which one do I love more?" A mother... If you have 5, 6, 7, or 10 wives in a lifetime, they've all got something special, but no one cares about that in the so-called media. What about drugs? When you got it all, you travel the world. When you've been in all the hotels, you're the prima donna of the penthouse. And in all hotels the world over, traveling, you want something more. And because of a woman... well, because of love, I tried something and I got hooked. Van-Damme, the beast, the tiger in a cage, the "Bloodsport" man got hooked. I was wasted mentally and physically. To the point that I got out of it. I got out of it. But... it's all there. It's all there. It was really tough. I saw people worse off than me. I went from poor to rich and thought, why aren't we all like me, why all the privileges? I'm just a regular guy. It makes me sick to see people... who don't have what I've got. Knowing that they have qualities, too. Much more than I do! It's not my fault if I was cut out to be a star. I asked for it. I asked for it, really believed in it. When you're 13, you believe in your dream. Well it came true for me. But I still ask myself today what I've done on this Earth. Nothing! I've done nothing! And I might just die in this post office, hoping to start all over here in Belgium, in my country, where my roots are. Start all over with my parents and get my health back, pick up again. So I really hope... nobody's gonna' pull a trigger in this post office... It's so stupid to kill people. They're so beautiful! So, today, I pray to God. I truly believe it's not a movie. It's real life. Real life. I've seen so many things. I was born in Belgium, but I'm a citizen of the world. I've travelled a lot. It's hard for me to judge people and it's hard for them... not to judge me. Easier to blame me. Yeah, something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I never really liked that speech, or that movie. It's just one more side of his dumb ego, just now he wants attention and praise for being weary and penitent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It would be abnormal not to have an affair.

Okay now what about the part where you're too hungover to show up for work and delay shooting on a movie where one of your co-stars is literally dying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hey, I'm not saying he should be canonized as a saint.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

coyo7e posted:

His role in Expendables was regrettable

You're nuts. I went into Expendables 2 thinking JCVD was going to gently caress it up, but I was very pleasantly surprised. When he kicked that knife... so good. Certainly better than Mel Gibson in Expendables 3, starring a bunch of people I've never heard of.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ I meant that simply being in that abortion of a movie series was regrettable. He didn't do a bad job, but you can't polish a turd.

Erebus posted:

I'm not sure how a story about Van Damme loving up an entire production so he can get wasted and cheat on his wife gives one a "new appreciation" for him.
Have you seen the street fighter movie? There's no way he could've made it worse. ;)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

coyo7e posted:

^^^^ I meant that simply being in that abortion of a movie series was regrettable. He didn't do a bad job, but you can't polish a turd.

3 was pretty bad but 1 and 2 are loving excellent, my biggest issue with them is Stallone wrote his own character and his goatee looks literally painted on to his face. Also 1 needed more Bruce Willis and Arnold.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 29, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
In other news I've been watching American Horror Story. I'm on episode 4 and I love it so far. Wish I would have watched it sooner! The idea of a slow burn horror tv show is appealing to me. Really the idea of a horror tv show at all. So far every time I've asked "why the gently caress is nobody asking about <blank>?" someone brings it up by the next episode.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In other news I've been watching American Horror Story. I'm on episode 4 and I love it so far. Wish I would have watched it sooner! The idea of a slow burn horror tv show is appealing to me. Really the idea of a horror tv show at all. So far every time I've asked "why the gently caress is nobody asking about <blank>?" someone brings it up by the next episode.

American Horror Story is a show that I've seen, have no desire to see again, yet am still glad that it exists. Having an anthology series with a core group of actors playing different characters is such a great dynamic, and I really hope it starts popping up more often.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Erebus posted:

It's just one more side of his dumb ego, just now he wants attention and praise for being weary and penitent.

So you're saying that this Belgian....

Is a waffler?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

ChickenMedium posted:

So you're saying that this Belgian....

Is a waffler?

:holymoley:

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Blue Ruin

Saw this reviewed on Half in the Bag, caught my interest. Its a really good movie about a guy attempting to get revenge when he finds out the guy who hacked up his parents is getting out of prison. He's just a dude, not an action hero.

Also it has a slow pace, very No Country for Old Men vibe.

Also I just saw that Enemy is available on Amazon Prime. This movie was reviewed right next to Blue Ruin on Half in the Bag. Enemy is about a guy that discovers another guy that looks just like himself. He tracks him down and sees they look exactly alike, scars and everything.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

JohnSherman posted:

American Horror Story is a show that I've seen, have no desire to see again, yet am still glad that it exists. Having an anthology series with a core group of actors playing different characters is such a great dynamic, and I really hope it starts popping up more often.

I almost feel that I like the concept more than the show itself, though, which is regrettable.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Season one of American Horror Story is the only one that could possibly be called a "slow burn".

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
American Horror Story was something I found interesting for the first few episodes, but it quickly became more tedious to sit through. I stuck it through the first season, tried to watch the second, and bailed. I guess I wasn't anticipating it to be as campy as it was, and that drat Dracula theme got old after the 30th time. I do think an anthology series with recurring actors is pretty cool, though.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I watched The 100 first episode a while back on Netflix out of sheer boredom of not being able to figure out what else to watch and I REALLY didn't like it.

I mean, I sort of tolerated Starcrossed for a few episodes. At the same time, I couldn't get enough of the horrible V remake because of how horrible it was I had to keep going to see what else they did.

So, a question. The show seems to rate pretty high at over 4 stars. Does it get legit better, is it a 'its so bad its good', or am I just not the target audience for this show?

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

MeatwadIsGod posted:

American Horror Story was something I found interesting for the first few episodes, but it quickly became more tedious to sit through. I stuck it through the first season, tried to watch the second, and bailed. I guess I wasn't anticipating it to be as campy as it was, and that drat Dracula theme got old after the 30th time. I do think an anthology series with recurring actors is pretty cool, though.

If you liked the first season enough to watch it through, you owe it to yourself to watch the second season. The first was good enough to watch through, but the second was actually really captivating and interesting. It's one of the few applications of the kitchen sink approach that I've seen work.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Also I just saw that Enemy is available on Amazon Prime. This movie was reviewed right next to Blue Ruin on Half in the Bag. Enemy is about a guy that discovers another guy that looks just like himself. He tracks him down and sees they look exactly alike, scars and everything.

I watched Enemy recently and thought it was brilliant. It's very divisive though, it's slow and brooding and relies heavily on surrealism and metaphor. If you accept in advance that you probably won't fully understand it for a few weeks then you'll enjoy it a lot more.
I would say that if you hate David Lynch films, then you should avoid this like the plague.

I have scenes from Enemy permanently etched in my head now. Don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Last night I watched a low budget British film called In Fear. It's not well regarded on imdb (5.5) but I think it's underrated. The dialogue is mostly improvised (apparently the actors were fed the plot slowly during filming), and 90% of the film takes place in a car, but it does a great job of cranking up the tension and it's short enough to not get too frustrating.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
In Fear's not bad at all. Enemy, of course, is fantastic.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Honestly the reason American horror story works at all is because of the camp and the fact that they don't take themselves seriously. If they tried to present the same exact show but told me to take this serious it would be completely stupid.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I watched The Taking of Deborah Logan last night. Overall I was pretty disappointed, mainly because they did such a good job creating an interesting parallel between the horrors of Alzheimer's & whatever was really happening to Deborah, then just kind of devolved it into an underwhelming, plodding possession story where the director was WAY too in love with the idea of Unresponsive-person-with-back-to-camera-in-the-dark = SCARY! It's like he watched the last 30 seconds of Blair Witch and thought, "What if we did that? But MORE!?!" The final scare with the unhinged jaw was pretty good, but it felt like too little, too late.

I agree with the other posters that Grave Encounters does a much better job with this particular sub-genre. I was pleasantly surprised throughout that movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
People who love Grave Encounters and prefer it to its sequel are my enemy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

ozmunkeh posted:

No you just didn't read the question. Spooky but not gory movies like The Addams Family might be Coraline, Ghostbusters, Gremlins or Beetlejuice, not Evil Dead lmao.
This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, thanks! The middle ground between Curious George's Very Special First Halloween and "he just chainsawed someone in half but like, in a funny way."

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I can't check myself but if Monster House is still up on Netflix it's a great kids movie that revolves around Halloween.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

MariusLecter posted:

Don't spoil the rape ghost.

If any of you are getting your first taste of Ghost Adventures via the Netflix collection, you really need to stop and go find the full episodes, start from the original documentary and go from there. The interactions between the main guys is the stuff that makes the show enjoyable, and you get to watch Zack slowly evolve from an unassuming nebbish into a bouncer-looking, charismatic dumdum with his own horror-themed books, music and clothing line. It's amazing.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I saw Side by Side last night on a Goon's recommendation, and it was pretty great. Are there any documentaries in the same vein (films about film) available for streaming?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I rewatched the first one last night and I have to say you're right, the sequel is much better.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The_Rob posted:

Honestly the reason American horror story works at all is because of the camp and the fact that they don't take themselves seriously. If they tried to present the same exact show but told me to take this serious it would be completely stupid.

I dunno, something about this is weird to me. Season 1 takes itself pretty seriously. In some ways it reminds me of Twin Peaks (oh god I am going to get reamed for saying that) in the sense that there's a large cast with some sort of overarching but unclear story. Each character is interesting to watch in my opinion. Every time it takes focus off one character it leaves me wanting more, right up until it shows who the scene is about and then I can't wait to see what crazy rear end poo poo is about to go down.

I called it a slow burn in comparison to a horror movie, which is usually only 90 minutes with the first 30 minutes being useless trash.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I called it a slow burn in comparison to a horror movie, which is usually only 90 minutes with the last 30 minutes being useless trash.

Ftfy

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I want to watch JCVD in movies, I don't want him to be my dad.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I dunno, something about this is weird to me. Season 1 takes itself pretty seriously. In some ways it reminds me of Twin Peaks (oh god I am going to get reamed for saying that) in the sense that there's a large cast with some sort of overarching but unclear story.

It's way closer to Hemlock Grove in both tone and quality than Twin Peaks. :barf:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

It's way closer to Hemlock Grove in both tone and quality than Twin Peaks. :barf:

Flattering to the former but still somehow insulting to the latter.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

wafflesnsegways posted:

Sometime in the last 10 years, Van Damme became a fantastic character actor.

The newest universal soldier movie is really good. It's not perfect, but it's an ambitious, unusual action movie. And JCVD gives a hell of a performance.

Both Hyams Universal Soldiers are great, and JCVD is quite good in Regeneration as well, if a bit outshone by Lundgren and the wonderfully expressive Eastern European setting (it's set in Chernobyl/Pripyat but I think it was filmed in like, Bulgaria or something at abandoned factories).

What if I really like Grave Encounters but also think 2 is better? Are we still cool?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
We will always be cool.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Oh man, fantastic. I've been looking forward to this after all the praise it got here and haven't been able to get around to it. I know what I'll be doing tonight.

We will always be cool.

:) sweet

3 was pretty bad but 1 and 2 are loving excellent, my biggest issue with them is Stallone wrote his own character and his goatee looks literally painted on to his face. Also 1 needed more Bruce Willis and Arnold.

Woof. What did you like about them?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

JohnSherman posted:

I saw Side by Side last night on a Goon's recommendation, and it was pretty great. Are there any documentaries in the same vein (films about film) available for streaming?
There's America In Prime Time, if that's close enough for you.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't know how long the Holmes on Homes/Holmes Inspection/Holmes Collection has been on Netflix but I am addicted to the show and wish I had watched it when it was actually on TV.

It's basically a reality/home improvement show where people bought a lovely house, that was inspected by a lovely home inspector, a bunch of poo poo gets missed- and it results in hundreds of thousands of dollars in repair (in some cases).

First part is the homeowners saying "yea, home inspector came in, thought it was OK, so we bought it... then problems" then they bring in the Holmes dude and he goes on for hours talking about all the house fuckups. Then he has a crew come in and fix everything.

It's engrossing to see what actually was hosed up with the house, how it somehow went unnoticed, and the rehab team talking about all the poo poo they have to do to fix it.

The crew seems to have a great rapport with each other and its kind of fun to watch in that aspect as well. It also reminds me of some of the hosed up poo poo I've seen when I went house hunting (including stepping into the crystal basement pool).

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 30, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Oh poo poo, Holmes on Homes is on Netflix now? That show really is great - I just want to give that guy a :glomp:, he seems like a genuinely cool person who wants to do something good, and who gets offended by seeing the shoddy work of others (who've often ripped-off the homeowners). My cousin and I used to watch it, and he's a pretty skilled contractor and he'd just fly off the handle talking about how he knew what the guys who did the shoddy job were doing and how he'd run into it or worked with people who did poo poo like that.

And a lot of the shows aren't people who bought a lovely house - it's people who scrimped and saved for year and then spent 5 digits on, say, making a dream kitchen... And then 6 months later their floor tiles begin cracking and the new picture window over the sink is leaking, and the faucets are all corroding for no explicable reason. People who bought lovely homes are also people who got ripped off - because the inspector ought to have been able to warn them of the problems but instead just checked the box and drove off with his check.

The one where they dealt with the rental that'd been turned into a pot grow-house in Canada was interesting - I had no idea you could load a sandblaster with dry ice and use it to strip mildew off of wood, leaving only undamaged wood, and some sawdust. That grow house was an embarassment, but I can't say I haven't known pot growers who didn't do the same poo poo to the rentals they were living in. I knew a guy whose bathroom ceiling fell in and left a 3' hole, because he's rerouted the upstairs bathroom water lines to grow his plants, and left it dripping through the floor for years... He eventually just drilled a piece of plywood over the hole in the bathroom ceiling and painted it white, as if nobody would notice. :catdrugs:

As a homeowner for the last couple years, I can personally attest to just how soul-crushing it can be to discover damage that you can't afford to deal with, or which someone lied about during sale or during later work. It's really shocking and the people bawling on Holmes' shoulder at the end of the episode are totally justified in doing so, because I'd probably do the same if someone showed up and said "hey, we're going to fix your house for you for free!" :unsmith:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 30, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

DeimosRising posted:

Woof. What did you like about them?

I guess I was the target audience. I love 80's/90's action movies, especially if they are starring Arnold or Stallone. I went in expecting a love letter to those movies, and I got what I wanted. 2 was just more of the same, so I couldn't really hate on it, especially since they made Bruce and Arnold team up together which was one of the coolest things ever. Up until 3, every main character kicks all kind of rear end and I love nearly all of their movies.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

weekly font posted:

I've never seen Hemlock Grove. If I like AHS would you recommend it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Watching Grave Encounters 2 cause of this thread and it's biggest problem seems to be that it takes 40 minutes before they even get to the hospital.

Also the hospital got mean.

• Locked thread