Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gang Beasts is a stupid amount of fun but from what my friend tells me it's not truly made by Double Fine, it just has their name stuck on it and other devs are making it.

I wish it would come to WiiU when it reaches 1.0. 8 player local multiplayer is difficult on a PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

oddium posted:

Please don't give money to Double Fine

Gamers are really mad at DoubleFine because a development team that was associated with DoubleFine did a kickstarter to raise money for Spacebase DF-9 which didn't live up to everyone's expectations. Money was pulled out of the project in order to further fund their baby Broken Age. Some feel that shouldn't have been necessary since the kickstarter for Broken Age surpassed fundraising expectations by quite a lot. And DoubleFine from what I understand also underwent second fundraising to finish it.

Basically DoubleFine spent tons of money on Broken Age. I am not sure if people think they are stealing and stockpiling money or something like that, many of them are acting like that's what's happening. These aren't triple A games that sell for $60 * millions of copies. This is a independent development company and they make pretty good games in general. If you've seen Broken Age you'll see that it's gorgeous, they probably felt over confident when all that money came in and then set into motion something too big for the budget.

They are also currently heading up a complete remaster and re-release of Grim Fandango.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nolgthorn posted:

Gamers are really mad at DoubleFine because a development team that was associated with DoubleFine did a kickstarter to raise money for Spacebase DF-9 which didn't live up to everyone's expectations. Money was pulled out of the project in order to further fund their baby Broken Age. Some feel that shouldn't have been necessary since the kickstarter for Broken Age surpassed fundraising expectations by quite a lot. And DoubleFine from what I understand also underwent second fundraising to finish it.

Basically DoubleFine spent tons of money on Broken Age. I am not sure if people think they are stealing and stockpiling money or something like that, many of them are acting like that's what's happening. These aren't triple A games that sell for $60 * millions of copies. This is a independent development company and they make pretty good games in general. If you've seen Broken Age you'll see that it's gorgeous, they probably felt over confident when all that money came in and then set into motion something too big for the budget.

They are also currently heading up a complete remaster and re-release of Grim Fandango.

On the other hand they're terrible at everything they do and I feel like it would be in everybody's best interest to not give money to Double Fine

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Stacking, Iron Brigade and Costume quest were all good games in my opinion. I backed Broken Age and wasn't that impressed, but that's not really a style of gameplay I enjoy. They did seem to run the Kickstarter thing into the ground, wasn't there a game they put on KS that was basically a vague idea that wasn't even in development yet?

All I know is I like Costume Quest and I've never let any behind the scenes controversy keep me from playing a game so I don't think I'm going to start now.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Stacking, Iron Brigade and Costume quest were all good games in my opinion. I backed Broken Age and wasn't that impressed, but that's not really a style of gameplay I enjoy. They did seem to run the Kickstarter thing into the ground, wasn't there a game they put on KS that was basically a vague idea that wasn't even in development yet?

All I know is I like Costume Quest and I've never let any behind the scenes controversy keep me from playing a game so I don't think I'm going to start now.

Brutal Legend was also good and Double Fine Happy Action Theater is the best Kinect game. Haven't played any of their newer stuff but there's some lemons for sure.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Double Fine you jerks just make Brutal Legend again but with actual functioning gameplay that is not an incompletely realized mishmash of like 4 different genres.

Their games are always charming at least, gotta give 'em that.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Double Fine you jerks just make Brutal Legend again but with actual functioning gameplay that is not an incompletely realized mishmash of like 4 different genres.

Their games are always charming at least, gotta give 'em that.

I would play the poo poo out of Brutal Legend 2. Even the parts of the game that were terrible "like the rts style stage battles" were more than made up for by the sheet awesome metalness of the game.

Everyone go play Brutal Legend!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Keystoned posted:

Even the parts of the game that were terrible "like the rts style stage battles" were more than made up for by the sheet awesome metalness of the game.

I thought that was actually the main meat of the gameplay.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Not sure if it's been mentioned but it's confirmed the single Amiibos being released are and will be compatible with games releasing now and in the future. For example, Peach is compatible with Smash Bros U, Mario Party 10 and Mario Kart 8. Yoshi is compatible with Yoshi's Wooly World and the prior mentioned games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It also means that Samus will be compatible with nothing

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

People give the Wii U Netflix poo poo (and the complaints are valid), but there is something to be said about having a touch keyboard and a TV remote on the same device.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Help Im Alive posted:

It also means that Samus will be compatible with nothing

She's barely compatible with Smash Bros without the Amiibo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Keystoned posted:

I would play the poo poo out of Brutal Legend 2. Even the parts of the game that were terrible "like the rts style stage battles" were more than made up for by the sheet awesome metalness of the game.

Everyone go play Brutal Legend!

But what if I don't like metal?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Louisgod posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but it's confirmed the single Amiibos being released are and will be compatible with games releasing now and in the future. For example, Peach is compatible with Smash Bros U, Mario Party 10 and Mario Kart 8. Yoshi is compatible with Yoshi's Wooly World and the prior mentioned games.
It seems like you'll have to hedge your bets and pick characters that are in the most amount of games.

It'd be a shame if all these games don't at least have a small support for non-series characters (like using Samus in a Zelda game, for example). Even just a skin of a weapon or car for using that Amiibo would help sell less-popular figures. I mean, who's going to buy Wii Fit Trainer, really?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Why is there a line across the top of my screen when I have Netflix open? When I close Netflix it goes away, this started happening today.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Looper posted:

But what if I don't like metal?

You should see a Priest.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Since we were talking about it yesterday, here are some of the numbers from Nintendo's report (all numbers are total sales to date):

Wii U - 7.29 million
Pokemon X and Y - 13.29 million
Mario Kart 8 - 3.49 million
Super Smash Bros 3DS - 3.22 million
Tomodachi life - 3.12 million

It's pretty crazy that almost half of all Wii U owners bought MK8.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
MK Wii had a pretty insane attach rate too (45% or so?) so it's not surprising that the dedicated fans that own the WiiU would lap up a game like that.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Louisgod posted:

MK Wii had a pretty insane attach rate too (45% or so?) so it's not surprising that the dedicated fans that own the WiiU would lap up a game like that.

Countdown until the next polygon article explaining why this is a bad thing

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chronojam posted:

Countdown until the next polygon article explaining why this is a bad thing

Even as one of the bigger cynics here about Nintendo not being able to get their act together pre-E3, I still can't believe how dumb Polygon is. I feel like there always has to be one online game site that just vehemently hates Nintendo, it's part of the natural order. I guess a cosmic backlash from how IGN.com used to be N64.com or whatever.

But hey, a Zelda spin off got their stock up single handed and one of their games is being advertised with a Playboy photo shoot and the 2014's best racing game is only on the Wii U. The other consoles are still working on the racing game part. :)

I really did expect the Wii U to completely crash and burn this year so it's great that it's got a few outstanding games on it in short order.

Mario Kart 8's sales do not surprise me at all. I mean it's a fantastic game in general, it's not like later Mario Party games or whatever where they were just scraping the bottom of the barrel. It was going to sell well regardless but a game that good with Mario in it is of course going to do gangbusters.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
If Gamergate has any legitimacy to its cause, Polygon and Kotaku would burn to the loving ground.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

But hey, a Zelda spin off got their stock up single handed and one of their games is being advertised with a Playboy photo shoot and the 2014's best racing game is only on the Wii U. The other consoles are still working on the racing game part. :)

Hyrule Warriors wasn't even discussed in the earnings. I have a feeling that the 3DS, Pokemon, Super Smash Bros and continued sales of MK8 is what contributed to those earnings. Especially since Hyrule Warriors released in the US on September 26th and their last quarter ended the 30th.

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

Spittin is a nasty habbit...
As someone who never played Bayonetta 1, I'm shocked at how awesome Bayonetta 2 is! I'm having a blast with this game. I'm very curious to see how the sales numbers are for it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
My Bayonetta Update: Died 4 times in the first hour on that stupid loving timed jet scenario. Does the game downgrade or punish you for having too many deaths? If yes then I'm hosed.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I don't ask for thread title changes very often, but

Wii U General Discussion - But hey, a Zelda spin off got their stock up single handed

:eyepop::holymoley::kiddo:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Louisgod posted:

My Bayonetta Update: Died 4 times in the first hour on that stupid loving timed jet scenario. Does the game downgrade or punish you for having too many deaths? If yes then I'm hosed.

You get a bad ranking for the mission but otherwise there are no penalties for being terrible.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Louisgod posted:

Don't care about the scores on first playthrough. You'll get much better by playing onwards.

I had Bronze average on normal difficulty (I.E sucky) and continued straight to hard-difficulty with Average score of Gold+.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Andrast posted:

You get a bad ranking for the mission but otherwise there are no penalties for being terrible.

Cool, thanks. I can live with being called poo poo, that's fine with me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

oddium posted:

Now I can't say I've programmed for the Wii U, but I would imagine it's a simple boolean SendTo=0/1, where 0=television and 1=gamepad.

Shameful if they really couldn't figure that out

I seriously doubt that that's the case

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

oddium posted:

I don't ask for thread title changes very often, but

Wii U General Discussion - But hey, a Zelda spin off got their stock up single handed

:eyepop::holymoley::kiddo:

Agreed

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't like this.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I wasn't planning on buying them in the first place but thanks for not giving me any reason to, I guess?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkjFyXJRQkE

More info!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yeah it's totally bullshit you can't insert Samus into Hyrule Warriors. What the gently caress, Nintendo? At least let us bring Pikachu!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'll definitely wait on the Amiibos until I see what the heck they actually DO. There's a neat concept in it, possibly, but concepts are one thing Nintendo is good at--execution on the other hand...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also, some pics of them came out recently and the build quality and paint jobs look a whole lot worse than the ones they showed at E3.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

homeless snail posted:

I don't like this.

So what could they do different to make you like it? Just curious since basically they're making the toys compatible with more than just Smash, which seems like a good thing?

e: for the record I'm not buying any.. unless they come out with Shulk.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is a loving dumb setup by Nintendo. What does that even show? You slide the character onto a controller... and then get a history of their appearances? What do these even do in the game? IDGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Louisgod posted:

So what could they do different to make you like it? Just curious since basically they're making the toys compatible with more than just Smash, which seems like a good thing?
Every toy should do something in every Amiibo game, even if its giving Link a Mario hat in Hyrule Warriors or something stupid.

• Locked thread