Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Schlesische posted:

I think it's all religions as long as they are the same religion as the holy order they are expelling.
Yeah, but I was assuming he's Orthodox. Though that would make his dynasty being in charge of them a little odder, I suppose.

Really, the Catholic holy orders are annoying all over. First FIGHTING them, and then when you do take over catholic lands, you've got these little outposts that have to be taken over one by one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is it intended that decadence revolts aren't hostile to everyone like regular revolts? I walked my 8,000 Byzantines right past 90,000 Abbasid revolters (they had been at 99% decadence for a while and lost a lot of territory) when I was at war with the Abbasids.

They weren't the Abbasids much longer.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

alcaras posted:

I had a kingdom title pass through brief ownership by a member of a holy order. It now shows as "Agnatic Appointment" inheritance law:

What is this? Should I change it?

Nah, if you can make that stick it's free viceroyalties without the opinion malus.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is it intended that decadence revolts aren't hostile to everyone like regular revolts? I walked my 8,000 Byzantines right past 90,000 Abbasid revolters (they had been at 99% decadence for a while and lost a lot of territory) when I was at war with the Abbasids.

They weren't the Abbasids much longer.

It depends on how Decadence Revolts are treated.
I think - and I don't actually know this - that Decadence revolts are treated like adventurers but with a different CB. So basically, they aren't a vassal who will be hostile to you due to de jure liege issues and they aren't generalized revolt that is hostile to everyone.

So in short, no. Unless you are the target or an ally of the target, you will not be hostile to a decadence revolt. I think.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, my demonspawn kid came to power. And he is a fuking badass motherfucker

A possessed strong gay dwarf evil genius, guided by Jesus.

(although he might be bissexual, considering how many kids he already has at 28)

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Edison was a dick posted:

Nah, if you can make that stick it's free viceroyalties without the opinion malus.

How do viceroyalties work? Can I establish any yet as a king or do I have to be an Emperor? I don't have CM enabled for this save.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Elias_Maluco posted:

So, my demonspawn kid came to power. And he is a fuking badass motherfucker

A possessed strong gay dwarf evil genius, guided by Jesus.

(although he might be bissexual, considering how many kids he already has at 28)

My possessed ruler back when Sons of Abraham was released, he ended up ruling until his death at ~80 years old. Strangely enough he was very popular with his vassals and he was the most successful ruler of the Polish Empire, adding Hungary to the realm and participating in three crusades, culminating in him beating back the Golden Horde.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Vichan posted:

My possessed ruler back when Sons of Abraham was released, he ended up ruling until his death at ~80 years old. Strangely enough he was very popular with his vassals and he was the most successful ruler of the Polish Empire, adding Hungary to the realm and participating in three crusades, culminating in him beating back the Golden Horde.

Holy poo poo 52 martial

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

Holy poo poo 52 martial

52 martial with the organizer trait! Holy poo poo!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
For added hilarity here's one of many events I got during his reign:

(Jesus didn't give him military advice anymore so his martial score dropped a bit, he got it back later.)

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I once got I think 34 on a fresh start as Harald Wartooth. No huge bonuses, just a solid 19 base.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I don't have a screenshot handy, but my post-SoA demon-possessed Queen of Scotland/Ireland had like above 28 in every score and lived until she was 90. Her (adult) great-grandson succeeded her, she was that aged.

I read somewhere that scores above 20 don't count as actually being any better than 20, is that true?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Vichan posted:

For added hilarity here's one of many events I got during his reign:

(Jesus didn't give him military advice anymore so his martial score dropped a bit, he got it back later.)

Yeah, I just lost mine "jesus advice". Good thing I had time to win 2 or 3 wars before that, including a holy war against a much stronger Egypt (who had turned miaphysite).

I hope I get it back too.

EDIT: one annoying thing is that I got 2 events to mandatory conversion do heresies. The first time I reverted it with the decision, swallowing the prestige hit. The second one I accepted, but fortunately after some years I got an event to change back to sunni. Now I wonder if is not a good idea to just embrace some heresy and use it to declare holy wars on the Abbasid Empire (Im still a bit weaker than they, but close), which will allow me to beat then a lot faster. But at the other hand, that would make all of us middle-eastern mulsins more vulnerable to the huge Byzantine blob.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 30, 2014

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Drone posted:

I don't have a screenshot handy, but my post-SoA demon-possessed Queen of Scotland/Ireland had like above 28 in every score and lived until she was 90. Her (adult) great-grandson succeeded her, she was that aged.

I read somewhere that scores above 20 don't count as actually being any better than 20, is that true?

I think it's true for councilors, but for a ruler the positive effects (diplomacy bonus for Diplomacy, taxes for Stewardship and so forth) continue rising.

One glorious time, through a series of lucky trait events during childhood, I managed to raise the heir to my genius ruler to a Diplomacy score of 27--WITHOUT Grey Eminence. I was tempted to get Grey Eminence on him just for the novelty of a 36 score, but made the more sensible decision to give him a military education, with which Brilliant Strategist pulled his Marshal score up to 19. He was a beast.

He died of Typhus at 29 because of course he did.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 30, 2014

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

In which text file are the adultery events? Why would I not want to take the 5 piety unless I absolutely need an heir?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 30, 2014

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Drone posted:

Somewhat true. For events and such that take account of your stats (like councillor jobs, but also a few others), usually they stop increasing probabilities or whatever around 20. For bonuses that are directly related to your stat (Stewardship demesne/tax bonus, Diplomacy opinion bonus, etc.) they keep rising with your score.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Baron Porkface posted:

In which text file are the adultery events? Why would I not want to take the 5 piety unless I absolutely need an heir?

I think you lose piety for declining as lustful iirc

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ImPureAwesome posted:

I think you lose piety for declining as lustful iirc

I thought lustful straight-up can't decline.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
You can always decline, but as lustful you lose PRESTIGE, not piety if you decline.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

If you have any of Genius/Quick/Strong/Attractive then it's in your interests to sire as many bastards as you can--you never know which of them may grow up to be an awesome councilor or general, and it's easy enough to rid yourself of the kids that don't. And if the adultery event fires for a married woman the child will never be publicly known to be yours and you get no penalties (the game does know it's yours under the hood, so beware accidental incest when the kid grows up.)

And as mentioned before, you can game Gavelkind by keeping young single women around court to periodically knock up (it's easy enough to find a few single women in the world who have genetic traits and/or claims and hate their current liege to invite) and legitimize whatever child is first to get Genius or a list of good traits. Only one legitimate child = no succession worries.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 30, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

TITY BOI posted:

You should have a decision to expel them from your realm. That will do the trick.

But my piety... blah, I think I have enough but still. What else happens besides the loss of MA? I suppose I can invite them back in once I get the achievement?

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, but I was assuming he's Orthodox. Though that would make his dynasty being in charge of them a little odder, I suppose.

Really, the Catholic holy orders are annoying all over. First FIGHTING them, and then when you do take over catholic lands, you've got these little outposts that have to be taken over one by one.

No, character is German Catholic. Someone up in the dynastic chain married a woman with a claim to the Byzantine Empire, and the heir pressed it once the Byzantines lost a Jihad (including the sitting Basileus) and had their available levies down to around ~3K.

But the holy orders can be Orthodox as well, if you've mended the schism (which if you've restored the Roman Empire you should have already done); Catholicism becomes a heresy and so all the HOs flip.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

monster on a stick posted:

But the holy orders can be Orthodox as well, if you've mended the schism (which if you've restored the Roman Empire you should have already done); Catholicism becomes a heresy and so all the HOs flip.

Oh, when did they fix this? I did an Alexiad-->SPQR run a couple of months ago and the Catholic holy orders remained heretical, which always struck me as an oversight by the devs.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

ninjahedgehog posted:

Oh, when did they fix this? I did an Alexiad-->SPQR run a couple of months ago and the Catholic holy orders remained heretical, which always struck me as an oversight by the devs.

Sons of Abraham I think.
Also, you can create an Orthodox holy order by converting Jerusalem to Orthodoxy, but it also spawns a Muslim holy order.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The other nice thing about the flipping of HOs in the schism-mending event is that if Catholicism regains its footing, Catholics get the Orthodox HO. Can't have too many of them.

Mongols round two tonight. Which of the normal retinue types are best? Yesterday I used Shock/Defense which seemed to be OK. Cultural retinue are knights, I'm not sure how well they do.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So my wife, Empress Constance the Great of Sicilia, Queen of England and Jerusalem, finally died.
:unsmigghh:

My heir is the King of Germany, Africa, England, and Jerusalem. Once that one Turkish rear end in a top hat stops fighting the Ilkhanate, I can Usurp the King of Anatolia title to add to my collection. When Uberto II (the Great) dies and Alboino takes over, I guess I'll have to actually have vassal kings instead of holding seven king titles and the Emperor of Sicilia. With the beta patch, vassal kings are pretty cool because you can raise 30k plus troops instantly in whatever county, but I still have an instinctive desire to hold all king titles for myself. Guess I'll just have to get over it.

e: note that, no, the Lupino family doesn't actually control Jerusalem at all. However I just started a holy war with the Muradids for Ascalon, so we're on that road.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Most of the major DLC's are 75% off at the paradox store right now. Definitely snagging Rajas for $4.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/...ce=Announcement

Think I'm gonna get the DLC collection too.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I have a confession to make: I hate pretty borders

There is nothing more pleasing to me than a spread out realm of random castles and towns across several independent kingdoms. It's the same reason I enjoy the merchant republics sprinkling of coastal cities.

For me the shattered world mod isn't shattered enough, each individual holding should be independant. I'd like to see barons get more aggressive AI, so that as a count you might see a cute neighbourhood war between two castle holders in your province.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
ah gently caress me. rajas was in the dlc collection. anyone want a rajas code?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bitter Mushroom posted:

For me the shattered world mod isn't shattered enough, each individual holding should be independant. I'd like to see barons get more aggressive AI, so that as a count you might see a cute neighbourhood war between two castle holders in your province.

This would never work because Barons dont have a court I dont think. And armies would be too small.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Volkerball posted:

Does that DLC just give you Steam codes? I can't click the link at work but I'm telling my buddy about the sale because he (like some kind of fuckin amateur) only bought the base game during the last big Steam sale. He, too, wants to gently caress his sisters/three wives/concubines like the rest of us.

e: Steam codes being a good thing in this case of course

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bitter Mushroom posted:

As hilarious as this would be, the game would break. If you've seen two independent one-province counts have a war against each other with no allies you'll know what I mean. The AI will smash the two ~300 man armies into each other, one side will barely win and sit on the enemy county failing to siege because the garrison is higher than the amount of levies either count has. The war will only end when one party dies.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Not playing the Beta Patch at the moment, but have they fixed the issue where Germanic Pagans can't sail up rivers anymore?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For some reason -- I guess in a vain effort to slow my advance? -- the AI left one--1!--dude standing in the way of my advancing army of 17,000.

He killed three of my soldiers before he died. He must have been some kind of badass.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Martello posted:

Does that DLC just give you Steam codes? I can't click the link at work but I'm telling my buddy about the sale because he (like some kind of fuckin amateur) only bought the base game during the last big Steam sale. He, too, wants to gently caress his sisters/three wives/concubines like the rest of us.

e: Steam codes being a good thing in this case of course

Yes. The collection is one code that covers everything, which is really convenient. It's $30 for every DLC up to may 2014. I don't know what it doesn't include, but it's probably not much.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Volkerball posted:

I'll take it if you still have it.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

For some reason -- I guess in a vain effort to slow my advance? -- the AI left one--1!--dude standing in the way of my advancing army of 17,000.

He killed three of my soldiers before he died. He must have been some kind of badass.

To be fair, there were two of them. One soldier, and one noble leading that flank. :v:

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Iceblocks posted:

Not playing the Beta Patch at the moment, but have they fixed the issue where Germanic Pagans can't sail up rivers anymore?

Yeah. There doesn't seem to be much point though, as raiding has gotten so much harder and more expensive. Even as emperor of Scandinavia and Fylkir of the reformed Germanic faith, the best I can do is raid independent counts/dukes. Anything stronger and they'll kick me out before I can siege down anything valuable, as I don't have enough troops to assault anything. The main problem is that you can't use vassals for raiding anymore, so it's expensive and hard.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Apoffys posted:

Yeah. There doesn't seem to be much point though, as raiding has gotten so much harder and more expensive. Even as emperor of Scandinavia and Fylkir of the reformed Germanic faith, the best I can do is raid independent counts/dukes. Anything stronger and they'll kick me out before I can siege down anything valuable, as I don't have enough troops to assault anything. The main problem is that you can't use vassals for raiding anymore, so it's expensive and hard.

It can be harder at first, for certain, but if you capture a single county somewhere in England/Wales you can raid the single provinces surrounding it without boats (which are part of the cost) and if you siege down all the holdings in a county you will come out on top money-wise. Once you switch to Feudal you'll get free vassal levies for raiding and all will be good in the world.

I think it's best to stay Tribal until you capture a big chunk of feudal land and can either keep it for yourself and have a nice levy, or give it to a vassal that will have a nice levy while you wait for your other vassals to catch up. I lucked out in my current game and the empire of Francia never formed, so I have been able to eat up Germany and Bavaria, which are now my two most powerful vassals. Umayyads ate France and Aquitane, though...if I get a jihad on me I am kinda done. Sunnis are incredibly powerful. I can't wait for the Mongols.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I haven't played as a Norse Germanic since before Charlemagne, but what happened to the classic viking strategy of repeatedly raiding Rome and Venice? Did they change it so you can't do that any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

marktheando posted:

I haven't played as a Norse Germanic since before Charlemagne, but what happened to the classic viking strategy of repeatedly raiding Rome and Venice? Did they change it so you can't do that any more?

You can still do it just fine, but when you're tribal you can only use your own levy/retinue (which is now more expensive because retinues cost money even when they are full), so you're not making quite as much money, but I think it's probably still profitable, there is just an actual cost, which makes sense when you're sending men halfway around Europe, it costs some money to go, but you get some shiny pope rings to compensate.

• Locked thread