Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
but are we SURE Kibler isn't using advance hypnotism techniques when he shuffles his cards so quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Yawgmoth posted:

Well then they failed on that angle too because it doesn't at all. It adds layers of complexity, certain cards are better/worse than they were originally, but ultimately there's no real strategic changes; you're still gonna try to kill Guy A over Guy B in a double block situation, the only change is how you go about doing it. And the way you go about doing it is now an additional two steps with a bunch of weird edge cases where there weren't before. It's a giant loving waste that really only comes up in like 2% of games, and when it does it's fantastically annoying.
Case in point!

Its for stuff like mogg fanatic and sakura tribe elder.
Before, you always stack damage then use their effect, now, you have a choice which affects the board state a lot more.

Edit: the removal of mana burn made magus of the vineyard worse. Also vineyard itself. But braid of fire is better!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I Love You! posted:

Hey guys, it's Thursday and that arbitrarily means I'm streaming UR Modern Delver/Cruise! https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator, watch me murder this assshole playing infect which can't even Treasure Cruise, what a dummy!

BRB jamming four cruise into infect.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

I Love You! posted:

Hey guys, it's Thursday and that arbitrarily means I'm streaming UR Modern Delver/Cruise! https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator, watch me murder this assshole playing infect which can't even Treasure Cruise, what a dummy!
This guy put a comma as part of his url, what a dummy!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Snacksmaniac posted:

BRB jamming four cruise into infect.

Works for burn, why not.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
FIXED https://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator

Cruisin' to round 2 after a super salty infect player bitched and then ragequit with potential lethal on the board!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Boco_T posted:

but are we SURE Kibler isn't using advance hypnotism techniques when he shuffles his cards so quickly

I think Kibler wins because he can just flip his hair, giggle coyly, and leave his opponents flustered. :swoon:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think Kibler wins because he can just flip his hair, giggle coyly, and leave his opponents flustered. :swoon:

a good user name/post combo

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

odiv posted:

I dunno man. In his most recent draft video his opponent cast Ride Down on the creature blocking Zurgo Helmsmasher, Duke regenerated the creature, but then didn't take the trample damage.

Sounds like mtgo being mtgo rather than anything Reid had any control over. And did he end up winning that match well over 20 life anyways?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The real complexity is what constitutes lethal when there is protection and prevention effects and banding andshit floating around.

So this is one that I'm never really clear on. Huge creature with trample is blocked by a small creature with protection from the big creature. Half of me wants to say the attacker just can't deal damage so nothing happens, the other half of me says that protection prevents the damage assigned but trample says the attacker only has to assign what would be lethal (like in the case of things like fog bank, it doesn't soak all the damage from a trampling attacker just the first two) and the remainder tramples through. I think the first case is true, but the second case feels mechanically more correct.

It gets worse when the trampling attacker has deathtouch too.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If Brian 'Brian Kibler' Kibler has been cheating we already would have seen a self aggrandizing post on his blog about it as well as the Brian 'Brian Kibler' Kibler stream about how to cheat in MTG, featuring Shiro! Order your playmats now!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
^^^ :respek:

Boco_T posted:

Shiro rubs up against your leg and makes noises, you look down to pet him.. and Kibler tutors for the best card in his deck. It's the classic two-man con.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

So this is one that I'm never really clear on. Huge creature with trample is blocked by a small creature with protection from the big creature. Half of me wants to say the attacker just can't deal damage so nothing happens, the other half of me says that protection prevents the damage assigned but trample says the attacker only has to assign what would be lethal (like in the case of things like fog bank, it doesn't soak all the damage from a trampling attacker just the first two) and the remainder tramples through. I think the first case is true, but the second case feels mechanically more correct.

The second case is correct. Not sure on the deathtouch situation, though. My intuition is that you would only need to assign one to the protection dude but I'm not sure.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Olothreutes posted:

Attacking with Green Trampling 6/6, Blocked by 3/3, Pro-Green. You must assign at least 3 damage to the blocker (which would be lethal), 3 damage tramples through. The damage to the creature is prevented (the D in DEBT).

Attacking with Green Trampling 6/6 Deathtouch, Blocked by 3/3, Pro-Green. You must assign at least 1 damage to the blocker (which would be lethal due to deathtouch), 5 damage tramples through. The damage to the creature is prevented (the D in DEBT), so deathtouch does not make the blocker die.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Devor posted:

Attacking with Green Trampling 6/6, Blocked by 3/3, Pro-Green. You must assign at least 3 damage to the blocker (which would be lethal), 3 damage tramples through. The damage to the creature is prevented (the D in DEBT).

Attacking with Green Trampling 6/6 Deathtouch, Blocked by 3/3, Pro-Green. You must assign at least 1 damage to the blocker (which would be lethal due to deathtouch), 5 damage tramples through. The damage to the creature is prevented (the D in DEBT), so deathtouch does not make the blocker die.

Yeah, I just looked it up, the relevant rule is 702.19b and gives a very similar example. Turns out the judge at my local store is wrong and I will enjoy being right (which is my favorite thing to be).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The thing that confuses the gently caress out of me is that Jared Boettcher was a plat level pro. I didn't realize what this means until I just looked it up.

· Member is invited to World Magic Cup Qualifiers in his or her country

· Member receives two byes at each World Magic Cup Qualifier in his or her country

· Member is invited to all Pro Tours.

· Member receives a $3,000.00 USD appearance fee whenever he or she competes in a Pro Tour

· Member receives expenses-paid air travel ticket and hotel accommodations at all Pro Tours during the current season*

· Member receives a $1,000.00 USD appearance fee if he or she competes in the World Magic Cup.

· Member receives a $500.00 USD appearance fee if he or she competes in a World Magic Cup Qualifier.

· Member receives a $250.00 USD appearance fee whenever he or she competes in a Grand Prix

· Member receives a complementary sleep-in special at all Grand Prix (where available)

· Member receives 20 QPs for each Magic Online Championship Series season

This poo poo is just bananas. So this means he was either good enough to earn this already and hosed it up by cheating every so often or he was never good enough without cheating.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

The thing that confuses the gently caress out of me is that Jared Boettcher was a plat level pro. I didn't realize what this means until I just looked it up.

· Member is invited to World Magic Cup Qualifiers in his or her country

· Member receives two byes at each World Magic Cup Qualifier in his or her country

· Member is invited to all Pro Tours.

· Member receives a $3,000.00 USD appearance fee whenever he or she competes in a Pro Tour

· Member receives expenses-paid air travel ticket and hotel accommodations at all Pro Tours during the current season*

· Member receives a $1,000.00 USD appearance fee if he or she competes in the World Magic Cup.

· Member receives a $500.00 USD appearance fee if he or she competes in a World Magic Cup Qualifier.

· Member receives a $250.00 USD appearance fee whenever he or she competes in a Grand Prix

· Member receives a complementary sleep-in special at all Grand Prix (where available)

· Member receives 20 QPs for each Magic Online Championship Series season

This poo poo is just bananas. So this means he was either good enough to earn this already and hosed it up by cheating every so often or he was never good enough without cheating.

If he was willing to risk that much by cheating, I would say he was never that good.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Olothreutes posted:

I always hated this rule. If something has protection or prevents combat damage (Fog Bank) I feel like the trample shouldn't go through. Just my stupid opinion.

Magic is so dumb sometimes

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I always hated this rule. If something has protection or prevents combat damage (Fog Bank) I feel like the trample shouldn't go through. Just my stupid opinion.

Magic is so dumb sometimes

The real problem is that the rules weren't super well thought out initially and both protection and trample are keywords from the very beginning of magic. Interactions back then were far less well tested or explained so weird poo poo like this happens when we try to update these things now that we have a several hundred page rulebook.

I will enjoy killing the poo poo out of people with Uril now when they try to block with a 2/2 pro green creature in commander.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The flavor seems fine to me. Some little creature is magically immune so it stands up unharmed after a giant monster stepped on it, but wasn't big enough to actually slow it down much on its way.

Or in the case of fog bank, the creatures with trample are dumb single-minded enough that they just keep on trucking in a straight line instead of getting lost in the fog.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 30, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It gets even worse with damage prevention effects and other replacement effects (e.g. Furnace of Rath) involved. But yeah the whole reason we're in this mess is because pre-6th edition Magic was a rules wasteland that required poo poo like this:

All in all I'm impressed the rules are as consistent as they are given the amount of history this game has behind it. They're not always straight-forward, but they're consistent.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The stack seems so obvious and sensible that I have a hard time even remembering how the previous system worked and why there had to be interrupts.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Why are people still playing non-treasure cruise decks in modern events, I swear to god free wins are cool and all but what the hell is everyone thinking?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wanna play something that maindecks Rest in Peace

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Entropic posted:

I wanna play something that maindecks Rest in Peace

Helm of Obedience combo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

Helm of Obedience combo.

The only decks I've seen use this are Rest in Pieces and Enchantress.

Go with Rest in Pieces. It's put up results in the last two years. :shepicide:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

For awhile it was seeing play as a sideboard option in Miracles too, I wonder if we'll see that come about again.

Enchantress is wonderful. Any format where I can kill my opponent by attacking them with Cloud of Faeries I am going to do it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Boettcher is appealing and maintains his innocence. I find his arguments unconvincing.

http://www.examiner.com/article/magic-player-jared-boettcher-addresses-dci-suspension-and-shufflegate

In short, :newlol:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There's a modern version (it doesn't have the draw engine, it's really more like Stax) that you could maindeck RIP if you wanted. That deck is actually pretty good in a meta without a lot of tron and UWR control

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Olothreutes posted:

You must deal what WOULD be lethal. If i have a 10/10 trampler and you block with a 1/1 with protection, if I could kill it, I would have to deal 1 damage to it. So 9 tramples over. The same rule applies with deathtouch. 1 damage is lethal if you have deathtouch, so a trampling deathtouch creature only has to deal 1 damage to anything before trampling over. It is a pretty simple rule, you must deal what would be lethal damage.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Boettcher is appealing and maintains his innocence. I find his arguments unconvincing.

http://www.examiner.com/article/magic-player-jared-boettcher-addresses-dci-suspension-and-shufflegate

I hope he is enjoying fall and looking forward to Thanksgiving with all the delicious pumpkin delights available.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Why does anything that's remotely similar to a controversy get referred to as ______Gate.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Bertoncini played unsanctioned Vintage when he couldn't play sanctioned Magic anymore also. This was after about a year of suspension and Vintage TOs thought he learned his lesson and turned over a new leaf. :frogout:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Elyv posted:

Why does anything that's remotely similar to a controversy get referred to as ______Gate.

Watergategate

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

Because Nixon ruined everything for almost everyone (in the USA).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

The stack seems so obvious and sensible that I have a hard time even remembering how the previous system worked and why there had to be interrupts.

Technology is fun, isn't it? The original Star Wars card game laid down the foundation of the stack and response mechanic through its use of interrupts. Magic built on that with 6e as I recall.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Holy poo poo, how had I never seen this before.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

odiv posted:

I dunno man. In his most recent draft video his opponent cast Ride Down on the creature blocking Zurgo Helmsmasher, Duke regenerated the creature, but then didn't take the trample damage.

I love how he spent the whole game keeping track of his actual life and his MTGO life. I wonder if he would have conceded if he got to 7?

I Love You! posted:

Why are people still playing non-treasure cruise decks in modern events, I swear to god free wins are cool and all but what the hell is everyone thinking?

Because I'm 18/1 against Treasure Cruises decks, which are the only decks anyone plays?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
God, I hope I don't have to play modo where I can't shuffle my opponent's deck- oops, did I say that out loud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Because I'm 18/1 against Treasure Cruises decks, which are the only decks anyone plays?

What on earth are you playing?

• Locked thread