Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

regulargonzalez posted:

I just couldn't buy that all that crazy poo poo happened in one day

It wasn't supposed to? I just rewatched it, it takes place over the course of like a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Sabotage is worth watching. I think a lot of people will find it an utter mess, but, on the whole, I enjoyed it, and I can't say I've ever seen another movie quite like it, which is something.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

syscall girl posted:

If I know anything about action movies, their consistency and their realism I know this: Old guys love their old, bad action movies that are indescribably stupid and they didn't get to be so old without learning not to care about this kind of bullshit. Seriously, there are millions of them and none of them give a fart about stupid bullshit in old westerns and WWII movies and they will tell you so if you give them the opportunity. You look at the set of a man's jaw, and the way he belts his pants. Stop worrying about where the bullets go you nerd.

Stop caring, you'll live longer.

Also, thanks for making me not want to see this movie.

As I said, I'm not talking about dumb action movies, I'm talking about action scenes, which may occur in any movie, action or otherwise, good or bad. In a dumb action movie it's expected, but in anything else, why is consistency in action not upheld with the same rigor as say, character consistency, plot consistency, and even other types of visual consistency? If some character is driving a red car, turns a corner and suddenly it's blue, you'd think "well hey, that's not right". It's the same deal, except that when action is involved suddenly directors forget to make sure what is unfolding in front of them makes sense. If the movie makes a huge deal about being surrounded, then your enemies shouldn't still be coming from only a single direction.

Anyways, Fury was overall enjoyable, it was just the last 20 minutes or so that it completely fell apart and was really dumb. The rest of the movie was different enough that I would recommend it if you like war movies and especially if you like tanks.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 28, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
gently caress tanks.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
no man tanks are loving awesome

seriously they are cool as hell

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

regulargonzalez posted:

I just couldn't buy that all that crazy poo poo happened in one day

Have you been to the lovely parts of LA?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm not sure if there's an actual recommendaion thread, but I just finished watching Noroi: the curse. Is there any other cursed by a ghost/ghost related movies in that vain, Asian/Japanese or not? The only thing that comes to mind is Blair Witch and the Paranormal Activities, both which I've seen.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Wedemeyer posted:

I'm not sure if there's an actual recommendaion thread, but I just finished watching Noroi: the curse. Is there any other cursed by a ghost/ghost related movies in that vain, Asian/Japanese or not? The only thing that comes to mind is Blair Witch and the Paranormal Activities, both which I've seen.

You might get a better response at:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186285&pagenumber=120#lastpost

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

As for a real question, can somebody give me some more examples of uses of pop songs in contemporary film that blur the line between diegetic and non-diegetic?

As in, for example, "Everytime" in Spring Breakers starts off being sung by James Franco in the scene, but segues into Britney's version for the montage. The opposite of this happens with "Pretty Girl Rock" in The Rover, where the music plays over one scene, but then cuts to Robert Pattinson singing to another few lines of it. "Wise Up" in Magnolia is another case where the characters of course actually sing the song, it all is presented within the diegetic world of the film but doesn't make literal "sense". I think "Dreams" in the same movie might be another example but I can't remember if William H Macy actually sings along to it (I need to rewatch Magnolia).

So yeah, what else would go on this list?

"California Dreamin'" in Chungking Express.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

So yeah, what else would go on this list?
Ace of Base's "The Sign" in Slackers (the Devon Sawa college comedy) comes to mind as a particularly brilliant use of this.

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Sabotage is worth watching. I think a lot of people will find it an utter mess, but, on the whole, I enjoyed it, and I can't say I've ever seen another movie quite like it, which is something.

Not bad, Mireille Enos's character Lizzy, looks like a cheap hooker, doe's the part well though.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

If this is an actual problem you have with a movie, I have some lovely engineering textbooks that might be more your speed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

If this is an actual problem you have with a movie, I have some lovely engineering textbooks that might be more your speed.

it's an actual problem i have with that movie, but no thank you

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

She may as well have ran off the edge of a cliff. If it wasn't the 10th non-sensical thing that happened on a row nobody would care about it (i can't understand why someone would spend the time to create that image but it is pretty funny).

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

I would've laughed so hard if she actually moved off to the side, thought she was safe, the rolling ship stops and then collapses on its side crushing her.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

FrostedButts posted:

I would've laughed so hard if she actually moved off to the side, thought she was safe, the rolling ship stops and then collapses on its side crushing her.

This is what happens to Charlize Theron in the film.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FrostedButts posted:

Yeah this is literally what happens.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Maarak posted:

This is what happens to Charlize Theron in the film.

I meant like in a cartoon format where the ship has a mind of its own in how it stops and then smashes down.

Please tell me a parody like this exists.

Having made an animated parody of Prometheus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hApMoIBtwI4) I wish I had done that.

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Okay, there is obviously a TON of debris raining down on them from all sides in that scene, making this one of the most bizarre critcisms of a movie I've ever heard repeated over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

It's like asking why Indiana Jones doesn't run to the left when that boulder rolls after him.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Oh was she trapped in a tunnel?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dr. Puppykicker posted:

Okay, there is obviously a TON of debris raining down on them from all sides in that scene, making this one of the most bizarre critcisms of a movie I've ever heard repeated over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

It's like asking why Indiana Jones doesn't run to the left when that boulder rolls after him.

Well???

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dr. Puppykicker posted:

In fairness, I think it was pointed out that when that boulder starts coming down the ramp, Indy would just have to like lie down to let it pass harmlessly over him.

But, of course, that's missing the greater point, which is that running away from a boulder/crashing spaceship is a cool stunt for your movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Crappy Jack posted:

In fairness, I think it was pointed out that when that boulder starts coming down the ramp, Indy would just have to like lie down to let it pass harmlessly over him.

But, of course, that's missing the greater point, which is that running away from a boulder/crashing spaceship is a cool stunt for your movie.

Also because the boulder stops up the end of the tunnel, which would have trapped him inside if he had managed to dodge it, so there.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Also because the boulder stops up the end of the tunnel, which would have trapped him inside if he had managed to dodge it, so there.

I am gonna shut so many nerds up with this now, thank you.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I get the impression that the straight-rolling is just the last of multiple elements that people find odd - the ship surviving a crash landing without deformation, the weirdness of being crushed by a rolling spaceship - with the way the characters run from it just the last, and therefore most memorable, of these. The ship is a dreamlike object, and not being able to escape it appropriately nightmarish. For some people clashes with the highly-detailed clarity of the presentation, though I think it's actually a big part of the charm of the movie.

I feel like the, "Well, actually, they did run to the side a bit and the spaceship curves its path, and they couldn't technically run any more to the side, and..." arguments miss the point to much the same extent.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
It doesn't straight roll, you see it turn

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, I'd be fine if they did just run straight given the nature of the sequence, but there's a shot where they both break to the left and the ship's path curves with them which makes the complaints even weirder.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It's been twelve years and I'm still trying to figure out why One (Colin Salmon) didn't back up a little more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8gfGhVL3qs

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

e- Wrong thread!

penismightier fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 8, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

It's been twelve years and I'm still trying to figure out why One (Colin Salmon) didn't back up a little more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8gfGhVL3qs

Well, the fluorescent strip lighting that the lasers apparently come from continues behind him, I assume it shut off when it did because it had successfully terminated all targets.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Snak posted:

Well, the fluorescent strip lighting that the lasers apparently come from continues behind him, I assume it shut off when it did because it had successfully terminated all targets.

It seemed like the way it was edited that they disabled it right when it turned off.
You could be right. They might've been using an ENERGY STAR certified laser system.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

It seemed like the way it was edited that they disabled it right when it turned off.
You could be right. They might've been using an ENERGY STAR certified laser system.

Or that. Either way him stepping backward probably wouldn't have saved him/he had no way of knowing that it might. Plus he was probably busy being "What the gently caress, how is there a grid of lasers that is only projected from two(four?) beams? Where are the middle beams coming from? That's not how lasers work! This is some bullshit" *dead*.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
A Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th StreetIt's a Wonderful Life, and Donnie Darko are all about someone who gets visited by some otherworldly entity in order to show the protagonist an alternate universe where life is different due to certain actions he takes.

Can anyone think of any others along similar lines?

[edit]Doh, yeah, I meant IAWL. Haven't had my coffee yet. :v:

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 9, 2014

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

sticklefifer posted:

A Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th Street, and Donnie Darko are all about someone who gets visited by some otherworldly entity in order to show the protagonist an alternate universe where life is different due to certain actions he takes.

I think you mean It's a Wonderful Life, not Miracle on 34th Street, right?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I think you're thinking of It's a Wonderful Life, not Miracle on 34th St.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

A Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th Street, and Donnie Darko are all about someone who gets visited by some otherworldly entity in order to show the protagonist an alternate universe where life is different due to certain actions he takes.

Not an otherworldly being, but Timeline is kind of like that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Family Man kinda has magical negro Don Cheadle show Nicolas Cage what life could have been like had he made a different decision years ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sticklefifer posted:

A Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th StreetIt's a Wonderful Life, and Donnie Darko are all about someone who gets visited by some otherworldly entity in order to show the protagonist an alternate universe where life is different due to certain actions he takes.

[edit]Doh, yeah, I meant IAWL. Haven't had my coffee yet. :v:

Scrooged but that's a Christmas Carol ripoff.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Thinking further on it, I feel like Pan's Labyrinth and to some extent Fight Club are also in that vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
The Adam Sandler movie Click does that with a magical Christopher Walken.