Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Mulhollland Dr. is pretty good too.

How so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
As for a real question, can somebody give me some more examples of uses of pop songs in contemporary film that blur the line between diegetic and non-diegetic?

As in, for example, "Everytime" in Spring Breakers starts off being sung by James Franco in the scene, but segues into Britney's version for the montage. The opposite of this happens with "Pretty Girl Rock" in The Rover, where the music plays over one scene, but then cuts to Robert Pattinson singing to another few lines of it. "Wise Up" in Magnolia is another case where the characters of course actually sing the song, it all is presented within the diegetic world of the film but doesn't make literal "sense". I think "Dreams" in the same movie might be another example but I can't remember if William H Macy actually sings along to it (I need to rewatch Magnolia).

So yeah, what else would go on this list?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

As for a real question, can somebody give me some more examples of uses of pop songs in contemporary film that blur the line between diegetic and non-diegetic?

As in, for example, "Everytime" in Spring Breakers starts off being sung by James Franco in the scene, but segues into Britney's version for the montage. The opposite of this happens with "Pretty Girl Rock" in The Rover, where the music plays over one scene, but then cuts to Robert Pattinson singing to another few lines of it. "Wise Up" in Magnolia is another case where the characters of course actually sing the song, it all is presented within the diegetic world of the film but doesn't make literal "sense". I think "Dreams" in the same movie might be another example but I can't remember if William H Macy actually sings along to it (I need to rewatch Magnolia).

So yeah, what else would go on this list?

I'm sure Guardians of the Galaxy has a few examples of this. Also Footloose.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
I've been watching a lot of Bergman recently. Never thought I'd enjoy him that much. I love how his stuff is so much like 'what if God ran a theater?'.

Well, Lynch is a fetish thing. You either enjoy him, or you don't. He's like a highly abstract painting that you may or may not feel a profound sense of connection with at a certain point in your life.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 25, 2014

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

NGL posted:

Here's a question that's been bugging me ever since I saw Star Trek Into Darkness:

What's the correct pronunciation of Orci?

If that's the only question you took from that film then I envy your sense of inner peace

Turtlicious posted:

What do directors do

Behave like unreasonable children, mostly.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Astor Theatre in Melbourne?

The Astor played that double a couple of weeks ago, it was great. Apparently I'd only ever seen the director cut of Aliens. The theatrical cut was much better.

I'm super sad the Astor is shutting down. I've seen some amazing stuff there and it's such a great film experience. Such a pity that its heritage listing does not include it operating as a public cinema.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kubla Khan posted:

Well, Lynch is a fetish thing. You either enjoy him, or you don't. He's like a highly abstract painting that you may or may not feel a profound sense of connection with at a certain point in your life.

Just like Prometheus and Spring Breakers.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Raxivace posted:

Just like Prometheus and Spring Breakers.

Haven't heard of Spring Breakers before but hey, it's Harmony Korine. This guy is something. I might check it out when the mood strikes.

edit: and hell yeah, Franko-kun. This guy can't not make me smile.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 25, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Lynch, Prometheus, and Spring Breakers are all, in fact, cool, and also, good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Cheers.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

I was on a books-about-movies kick a while back and bought Catching The Big Fish by David Lynch sight unseen.
Turns out it's a bunch of 4 sentence Deep Thoughts about Meditation and how he wants to teach it to children so that every school in the world will get straight A's. :(

He still rules though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah Lynch is really big into meditation and stuff like that. He also once painted a dead bird onto a canvas. Let me repeat this; he took a dead animal and applied paint to it until it was attached to a canvas. He also was once a Republican.

He is the strangest man, I swear.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
So since I'm not a GenChat regular, every post I make is I guess not interesting enough to reply to. :(
Does anyone have the lowdown on why Current Releases is going/gone/whatever? What happened?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Yeah Lynch is really big into meditation and stuff like that. He also once painted a dead bird onto a canvas. Let me repeat this; he took a dead animal and applied paint to it until it was attached to a canvas. He also was once a Republican.

He is the strangest man, I swear.

David Foster Wallace wrote an article about being on the set of Lost Highway and I want to say he described him as a really normal seeming guy.

http://www.lynchnet.com/lh/lhpremiere.html

If you want to parse that go ahead.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Quad posted:

So since I'm not a GenChat regular, every post I make is I guess not interesting enough to reply to. :(
Does anyone have the lowdown on why Current Releases is going/gone/whatever? What happened?

It was terrible.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Quad posted:

Sorry I saw your post and forgot to reply. Vargo just said that the CR writers felt that CR was not in line with the general direction of Something Awful. It was pretty vague, but he said that it'll eventually be back offsite at least.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry I saw your post and forgot to reply. Vargo just said that the CR writers felt that CR was not in line with the general direction of Something Awful. It was pretty vague, but he said that it'll eventually be back offsite at least.

Yea, it was definitely Vargo and the CR writers that decided, and not the audience

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This may be a dumb/random question, but I saw Aguirre, Wrath of God recently and I can't remember if we saw what happened to Aguirre's lackey Perucho? He's the guy who decapitated that dude sitting down, right? (or wait, was that Perucho getting decapitated by the loyalist for the guy Aguirre overthrew? The prison escapee made it over there on foot? I had trouble telling some of these hairy bearded dudes apart sometimes) Do we see him get hit by an arrow or "long arrow" at some point?

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 27, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
edit: rewriting this post for better clarity.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 27, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Subyng posted:

I have a General Movie Question that applies to TV as well. Why are action scenes always so stupidly unbelievable? I'm not talking about realism necessarily, I'm talking about having some sense of consistency and verisimilitude. I watched Fury and I enjoyed it up until the final scene where (I guess I should spoiler this since the movie just came out although this movie has zero surprises so there's really nothing to spoil) our heroes make a last stand. They are surrounded by hundreds of German troops, many of whom have anti-tank weapons. BUT NONE OF THE GERMANS ARE SHOOTING. NOBODY IS SHOOTING. WHY ARE YOU NOT SHOOTING? Oh wait, this guy with the machine gun is shooting. At a tank. With a machine gun. From the front. With a machinegun firing laser green tracers saying "hey, look at me, SHOOT ME, TANK!". And the tank does. Then more Germans run in front of the tank. STOP RUNNING IN FRONT OF THE loving TANK. Also, Brad Pitt behind the turret manning the .50 cal. What happened to all the Germans who ran past the tank? WHY AREN'T THEY SHOOTING AT BRAD PITT? Then FINALLY the guys with the anti tank weapons arrive. One or two of them MISS. From like, 10 metres away. HOW THE gently caress DO YOU MISS THAT? They weren't even being shot at either. Finally it takes a loving SNIPER just to shoot Brad Pitt who has been outside the tank this entire time. Except he keeps shooting him in the loving SHOULDERS instead of like, his head, or his heart, or anywhere else.

Someone will probably respond with "because Fury is a bad movie" and that scene in particular is definitely an extreme example, and even though I realize that the story dictates the action, in every case it would take only the slightest bit of mental effort to proof read your action and to even contrive, if necessary, a scenario in which our heroes are able to accomplish what they are doing with the slightest bit of believability, even if the in-movie justification for it is "well our just heroes got lucky".

Rant over.

If I know anything about action movies, their consistency and their realism I know this: Old guys love their old, bad action movies that are indescribably stupid and they didn't get to be so old without learning not to care about this kind of bullshit. Seriously, there are millions of them and none of them give a fart about stupid bullshit in old westerns and WWII movies and they will tell you so if you give them the opportunity. You look at the set of a man's jaw, and the way he belts his pants. Stop worrying about where the bullets go you nerd.

Stop caring, you'll live longer.

Also, thanks for making me not want to see this movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Most people don't care about realism in action movies. If they did Way of the Gun would be the most popular movie of all time.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Action scenes are dance scenes.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

Maarak posted:

Action scenes are dance scenes.

Not really, dancing is rythmically moving to music. A lot can be said about a lot of action scenes. Some are visually very pleasing. Some have very complex martial arts movements etc, but that doesnt count for all of them. I suppose you cant really say much meaningfull about them that is universally the case for every action scene.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

PaulDirac posted:

Not really, dancing is rythmically moving to music. A lot can be said about a lot of action scenes. Some are visually very pleasing. Some have very complex martial arts movements etc, but that doesnt count for all of them. I suppose you cant really say much meaningfull about them that is universally the case for every action scene.

They share the core similarity that each is about the manipulation of bodies (organic or mechanical) to produce forms in space over a specified period of time. It's just that in action scenes those forms usually end up with broken bones and poo poo blowing up.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

PaulDirac posted:

There is plenty meaningful to say about action scenes. Though they are often about spectacle, a fight scene can tell you a lot about the characters involved. Look at, say, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or pretty much any classic Kung fu movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

There is plenty meaningful to say about action scenes. Though they are often about spectacle, a fight scene can tell you a lot about the characters involved. Look at, say, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or pretty much any classic Kung fu movie.

I think the biggest thing about an action scene is that it tells you how the story feels about violence. Action movies, and action scenes in non-action movies, run the gambit from "lol I knocked out a someone with a frying pan" to "My first round blew their jaw off so I put another in their dome while they were laying there gurgling". Sometimes blunt force trauma to the head is serious and people die from it, and sometimes it's treated like a fun non-lethal option. Sometimes a shootout is fun and the hero is like "I love poo poo poo poo" as bullets fly but hardly anyone gets hit. Other times all the bullets that don't hit hit the main characters find innocent bystanders. These are all intentional choices that are crucial to the tone of the film.

If your story has "action scenes" in it, then violence plays a role in the story, and establishing that role is necessary for us to learn about the characters involved.

For example, in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, the action scenes are often beautiful and dancelike, but they are not without consequences: In the middle of one of the earliest action scenes, a minor character gets his own weapon thrown back at him, which hits him in the head and presumably kills him. This helps set uo that, despite their "warrior lifestyle", the "good guys" respect the risks and dangers of fighting. Being in control is a major theme in this movie, and it is those who are not in control of themselves that hurt others and in turn are hurt.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

syscall girl posted:

Also, thanks for making me not want to see this movie.

Fury is one of the best movies this year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Fury is one of the best movies this year.

that's what you said about End of Watch

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was just as right then. What good's posting if I can't go to bat for a filmmaker I like?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

End of Watch was fantastic?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Trump posted:

it was okay. I'm just bustin chops.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I got something you can bust, chief.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The only two movies released this century worth watching are Spring Breakers and Prometheus.

effectual posted:

Prometheus owns though.least 4 is fun.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

And then the drat thing fell over sideways and nearly crushed her anyway.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

but don't you see, it's symbolic of uh something

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ah yes, a penny arcade comic. You sure owned me/Ridley Scott!

^Time is a flat circle.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

but don't you see, it's symbolic of uh something

It's a nuva ring, representing birth control, which is really important in the Aliens/Prometheus universe...

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Must be nice to be able to ignore a bunch of stupid poo poo.

e: directed at Prometheus btw, I haven't seen End of Watch yet (I really liked Harsh Times and Training Day so hopefully I like it)

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 27, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gaggins posted:

Must be nice to be able to ignore a bunch of stupid poo poo.

My nerd credentials are secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Trump posted:

I just couldn't buy that all that crazy poo poo happened in one day