Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Verisimilidude posted:

It's also surprising how easy it is to build a computer once you know where everything goes. With the exception of troubleshooting, actually building the drat thing is relatively simple.

The problem arises when something small and stupid is done improperly and you spend hours trying to figure it out. This is extra hard when you don't have a computer to do research on. I remember spending hours trying to figure out what the gently caress was wrong with my computer, and in the end all I had to do was reseat the memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
These days with stuff being jumper free as long as the PCIe cards are seated and the power and sata cables are all plugged in the next step in debugging is RMAing whatever's not working.

95% of the time it is the video card is not seated all the way in the slot.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Another little thing is some power supplies have a little orange switch on the back to that turns it into European mode or some poo poo, and if you have it clicked in the wrong direction your computer isn't going to get adequate power. But it will get some, enough to really confuse you.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Another little thing is some power supplies have a little orange switch on the back to that turns it into European mode or some poo poo, and if you have it clicked in the wrong direction your computer isn't going to get adequate power. But it will get some, enough to really confuse you.

Is that the selection for 220/230v? I have seen a switch like that but never really looked. Also a good tip!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dang. Quote != edit :doh:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It really is just like putting lego together. The hardest part really is making sure you got the right parts, and even that's just a matter of matching numbers. Also the PC building thread usually has a goto list for everything you need.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
If you really are looking for some assistance, you can purchase mobo + CPU + RAM bundles on mwave.com and you can pay a little extra to have them assemble and test it for you. They ship it all put together.

I did that waaaaay back when. I mean there's still some work to do, putting it in the case, hooking up the power supply and graphics cards and stuff, but at least you'll be sure the main pieces work well.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

If you flip it the wrong way in Europe, you can kiss your power supply goodbye.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Great Joe posted:

If you flip it the wrong way in Europe, you can kiss your power supply goodbye.

Always fun to let the interns unknowingly blow up a power supply! It does leave a bad smell though.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It's piss easy to put together a computer these days. Everything is designed to fit in a certain way and honestly the trickiest part is connecting all the cables together in a way that isn't a total mess.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I did this. Now it doesn't work.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The only thing I think could really be improved with modern computer builds is the seating of the CPU heatsink-fan combo. It's much better than it was in the past, but it still not great. Sure, the days of jamming down on the HSF until it felt like you were going to snap the mobo in half and shatter the chip are mostly gone, but the current stock Intel clamping solution feels cheap and inexact as hell. Aftermarket coolers aren't that much better either.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The only thing I think could really be improved with modern computer builds is the seating of the CPU heatsink-fan combo. It's much better than it was in the past, but it still not great. Sure, the days of jamming down on the HSF until it felt like you were going to snap the mobo in half and shatter the chip are mostly gone, but the current stock Intel clamping solution feels cheap and inexact as hell. Aftermarket coolers aren't that much better either.

The first time I did that by myself was loving terrifying. I'll honestly take the cheap stuff we have now over anything even resembling that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The confusing jumble of metal clamps and bars and such was really frustrating at times. Last few heatsinks I've used just had a simple lever that was easy to use. But it still feels like you have to apply so much strength that you'll break it.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

crestfallen posted:

If you really are looking for some assistance, you can purchase mobo + CPU + RAM bundles on mwave.com and you can pay a little extra to have them assemble and test it for you. They ship it all put together.

I did that waaaaay back when. I mean there's still some work to do, putting it in the case, hooking up the power supply and graphics cards and stuff, but at least you'll be sure the main pieces work well.

You can also just use a site like https://www.pcpartpicker.com. Not only can you see other peoples builds, mix and match your own, but they have guides on their homepage for solid pre-configured setups based on your budget. You figure out what you want based on that, order the parts, and put it together. It's really easy these days. I have no idea how I did this when I was 12 and none of this stuff existed.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Starhawk64 posted:

It's piss easy to put together a computer these days. Everything is designed to fit in a certain way and honestly the trickiest part is connecting all the cables together in a way that isn't a total mess.

Even then case design has gotten better at cable routing, and you can get a modular power supply with removable cables so you don't have unused spares dangling around.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I just want them to completely idiot proof the front panel connectors, that's like the last gripe I have because I still get it wrong every time. Those tiny markings :argh:

priznat posted:

Is that the selection for 220/230v? I have seen a switch like that but never really looked. Also a good tip!
There will be a setting for 115V for the US, because that's how we roll with our electrical outlets :patriot: , a good chunk of the rest of the "free" world uses 230V. It should be set to where it's supposed to be by default, unless someone's playing a joke on you (a really mean one in Europe). You won't blow anything up in the US if it's set wrong, it just means the power supply will be getting half the juice it's expecting and will probably not get very far in the startup process, just turn everything off and set the switch to where it's supposed to be.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh yah I meant selecting 220 or 230 instead of the proper 110/115 ;)

I'm in Canada we got the same wall-juice (technical term)

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I had a question about refresh rate. Mostly comparing 60hz to 120hz and 144hz when it comes to monitors. I saw that Asus 1440p monitor running at 144hz that a bunch of people were buying. Doesn't that mean that you would have to run the game at 144 FPS(locked) and 1440p to get the full benefit of the monitor? How is that possible? No modern video card would be able to do that, so what's the point?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cardboard Fox posted:

I had a question about refresh rate. Mostly comparing 60hz to 120hz and 144hz when it comes to monitors. I saw that Asus 1440p monitor running at 144hz that a bunch of people were buying. Doesn't that mean that you would have to run the game at 144 FPS(locked) and 1440p to get the full benefit of the monitor? How is that possible? No modern video card would be able to do that, so what's the point?
I believe that monitor is with nvidia gsync so it does some refresh rate magic to keep things in check.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cardboard Fox posted:

There's a large group of idiot nerds who believe in this ridiculous concept called "futureproofing" and the lengths they'll go to achieve that are hilarious.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Cardboard Fox posted:

You can avoid a jittery image with a frame rate locked to a number that evenly divides your monitor's refresh rate, and 144 offers a better spread for that.

edit: Including 24Hz, which is what most movies are filmed in.

Male Man fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 26, 2014

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Most of the games where you really care about having a higher framerate (competitive games) are older games that you can easily hit 144 in anyway.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
36 and 72 would be fine also wouldn't they? So for newer games you might have to fiddle a bit but both of those sound reasonable to me.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

36 and 72 would be fine also wouldn't they? So for newer games you might have to fiddle a bit but both of those sound reasonable to me.
Yes, but then motion blur would be applied to smoothen the picture out, and, depending on the game, command input may be less responsive, as in less smooth compared to higher frames.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

kalstrams posted:

Yes, but then motion blur would be applied to smoothen the picture out, and, depending on the game, command input may be less responsive, as in less smooth compared to higher frames.
if you're dumb and don't put on triple buffering, yeah

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Great Joe posted:

if you're dumb and don't put on triple buffering, yeah
Aren't there some rendering latency issues with triple buffering in DirectX games?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

In bad console ports, yes. In most sensibly-made games, no.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Watch Dogs on Steam for $35... Y/N? Is it another lovely port?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Sab669 posted:

Yes from what I hear, although there are mods which apparently make the textures not look like rear end.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I played it on launch and it ran like absolute rear end. On a pc which could run bf4 at 60fps 1080p I barely got 24 fps at medium-low settings. It may have been patched since.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sab669 posted:

On release it had terrible stuttering problems whenever you drove anywhere because the background asset loading interfered with the framerate, but they patched that eventually. Now it's well worth it.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 30, 2014

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Even if it runs well, you're still playing Watch Dogs

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Milkman posted:

Even if it runs well, you're still playing Watch Dogs

Excuse me it's WATCH_DOGS.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Every time someone mentions Watch dogs I mistake it for Sleeping dogs and get really confused for a while.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Watch, dawgs.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I enjoyed WATCH_DOGS quite a bit. Cruising around was fun, messing with stuff so easily kept me interested, the missions were pretty cool. I dunno. It's not a masterpiece or anything but I was engaged the whole way through.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

crestfallen posted:

I enjoyed WATCH_DOGS quite a bit. Cruising around was fun, messing with stuff so easily kept me interested, the missions were pretty cool. I dunno. It's not a masterpiece or anything but I was engaged the whole way through.

I'm playing it right now actually, and desperately trying to finish it before this year's Assassin's Creed comes out, because I'll be damned if I'm playing 2 Ubisoft open world games at the same time.

I'm the sort of player who likes to do all available sidequests before going on with the main plot. I feel like the drat fixer missions never end.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I really hope far cry 4 and the new assassin's creed aren't garbage PC ports this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

macnbc posted:

I'm the sort of player who likes to do all available sidequests before going on with the main plot. I feel like the drat fixer missions never end.

I used to be this way before Assassin's Creed games. I did all the sidequests, got all the eagle vision points, got a shitload of flags, then I beat the game. I got to the credits and realized I could have gotten to these same credits hours of playtime ago and absolutely nothing would be different. Now I hate Assassins Creed 1, and the very idea of playing it again makes me sleepy.

• Locked thread