Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

moths posted:

I don't want to spam up two threads, but I finished up a bunch of Free French for this month's oath thread and figured if anyone would appreciate them, they're ITT.

Turns out all you need is the old Battlefront tank sprue and a sharp knife to convert the Open Fire! Firefly tanks into 75mm turrets. They won't have hull MGs, but at 15mm (and a FoW table...) nobody's likely to notice.

I like the name on the right-hand one. Clearly they were inspired by Napoleon's Old Guard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm going to crosspost my own Oath stuff - some more 6mm goodness.

The Cav, there were three left over that I didn't want to cram onto a base, so I made them into command point tokens/counters.

The Line Infantry.

Finally, the light infantry/skirmishers. including an attempt at 6mm scale Poppys for the journal.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Those look fantastic! Did you file-down the tabs under the feet of the soldiers for that flat look? How did you base?

I explained DBA to my buddy and he's very excited to try it. I seem to have caught the disease however, because I've already worked out with the purchase of one pack each of Triarii and Auxilia I can field Polybian Romans, and with some substitution of Cv for LH/KN any Roman army from the Early Romans to Late Eastern Imperial. I then started reading this book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commentarii_de_Bello_Gallico and now I'm considering that while Ariovistus's germanii will be a great enemy for my Caesarian/Marian Army, a Gallic Force under Vercingetorix would be an easy addition: Only a few chariots, some fanatical infantry, cavalry and slingers.

While I'm trying to keep my hat on and not go crazy about this, I have a very specific question: I have read that the Marian Roman army is meant to be 'one of the best' DBA armies because it's so blade-heavy. I'm happy to tweak this into a Polybian Roman army with more purchases to soften it up, but in the meantime what tips should I give my opponent to level the field?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Southern Heel posted:

Those look fantastic! Did you file-down the tabs under the feet of the soldiers for that flat look? How did you base?

I explained DBA to my buddy and he's very excited to try it. I seem to have caught the disease however, because I've already worked out with the purchase of one pack each of Triarii and Auxilia I can field Polybian Romans, and with some substitution of Cv for LH/KN any Roman army from the Early Romans to Late Eastern Imperial. I then started reading this book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commentarii_de_Bello_Gallico and now I'm considering that while Ariovistus's germanii will be a great enemy for my Caesarian/Marian Army, a Gallic Force under Vercingetorix would be an easy addition: Only a few chariots, some fanatical infantry, cavalry and slingers.

While I'm trying to keep my hat on and not go crazy about this, I have a very specific question: I have read that the Marian Roman army is meant to be 'one of the best' DBA armies because it's so blade-heavy. I'm happy to tweak this into a Polybian Roman army with more purchases to soften it up, but in the meantime what tips should I give my opponent to level the field?

The ease of expanding your armies is a big bonus of DBA imho, there are tons of basic lists that can expand into several armies with the addition of a few bases: Ancient Greeks, Celts, medieval western armies all comes to mind. If I just get around to painting up my Ilkhanate minis I can field all kinds of steppe armies and Mongol successor states.

As for blades, I find that armies with lots of blades and/or spears can be tricky to play against with Warbands, especially as a beginner. My Celt army is by far the worst when it comes to wins vs losses, and that's mainly against Republican Rome (blades and Spears) and Late Carthaginian (Spears). They are competely helpless against an army with Knights. Overall I find that Warbands and Auxiliaries tend to be worse than Spears and Blades, but I could be a bad player.

You can try to include lots of woods and difficult terrain to give the Warbands a better shot, but it's not guaranteed to work. If you really have a hard time to come up with equal fights you can try to add an extra base or two to the Gauls.

I haven't read the DBA 3.0 rules so I have no clear idea if this is adressed in the new version. From browsing Fanaticus it seems they are better against Blades now, but worse against pretty much everything else.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Southern Heel posted:

Its pretty easy - stick them to the base as normal, put some sand around them then use strategically placed flock to hide the rest of the bump.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Indolent Bastard posted:

The range ruler was made using a laser cutter.

Very short=2cm Short=4cm Medium=6cm Long=12cm
That is a great ruler. Any chance you'd be willing to put up the laser cutter files or sell a spare one? I'm absolutely poo poo with CAD, and it's a drat slick piece of kit.

I'll definitely try my hand at making some buildings like you've done. One of the advantages of knowing dudes who do Viking archaeology is getting to grill them for good blueprints on the proper style of buildings.

Started up my "6mm in a box" today after finishing up a couple Tafl boards for a friend. Figure I'll start with an Ancients board based off of some family history in Ireland. Got to learn all about some regional styles of fencing in the area where a lot of my wife's family is from, so I figure the first terrain lot should reflect that. Besides, outside of Historicals, I've got a bunch of 6mm fantasy for HoTT and various other modular fantasy systems, so I can pit my Swedes against hordes of the undead in Ireland, because you have to ease some folks into Historicals by way of fantasy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Beardless posted:

I like the name on the right-hand one. Clearly they were inspired by Napoleon's Old Guard...
This exactly.

The only difference between a Firefly and a Sherman of the same mark is the gun, the radio and the hull MG. It's not a lot to bodge even at 20mm.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hedningen posted:

That is a great ruler. Any chance you'd be willing to put up the laser cutter files or sell a spare one? I'm absolutely poo poo with CAD, and it's a drat slick piece of kit.

I'll definitely try my hand at making some buildings like you've done. One of the advantages of knowing dudes who do Viking archaeology is getting to grill them for good blueprints on the proper style of buildings.

Started up my "6mm in a box" today after finishing up a couple Tafl boards for a friend. Figure I'll start with an Ancients board based off of some family history in Ireland. Got to learn all about some regional styles of fencing in the area where a lot of my wife's family is from, so I figure the first terrain lot should reflect that. Besides, outside of Historicals, I've got a bunch of 6mm fantasy for HoTT and various other modular fantasy systems, so I can pit my Swedes against hordes of the undead in Ireland, because you have to ease some folks into Historicals by way of fantasy.

I can toss up the file, but the laser cutter at my local fablab uses pdfs exported from inkscape, so I don't know if it will be useful.

If you (or anyone else) wants one I can certainly knock a few out in November. With or without the knotwork, your call.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

While I'm sitting on my hands waiting to get my 6mm DBA stuff, can someone give me the low-down of Force-on-Force and Chain of Command? I like the idea of both to use with 1/72 on the same 3' square table as my proposed DBA board; but having leafed through both rules I just can't see how they'll play in the wild. I have spent most of the day following Force-on-Force podcasts, videos and reading the rules.

It seems to have a great solid base: statistics are based on troop quality - better troops roll higher sided dice, weapons add more dice, defences add dice to save and so on. Active/Reactive turn types and un/opposed rolls and so on seem to work well. However, as the rules went on I found them piling more and more: ambush, reacting to ambush, overwatch reacting to reactiopns to ambush, and so on. Casualties are great in principle, but dependents, civilians, VIPs, POWs and how they all work with Morale, Confidence and so on sounds awfully complex. It looks like it would bog down extremely quickly and the scenarios seem to suffer from the same cloying idea: while great in principal, they are defined to the exact weapon-loadout per trooper and orientation of buildings. I haven't seen a battle-report and I'm just reading AARs though, so i'd like to ask how the game flows - and how one would go about balancing non-prescribed scenarios?

I am going to read through Chain of Command tonight, as I've just finished watching the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiT70m6CJO8

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

1: can someone give me the low-down of Force-on-Force and Chain of Command?...

2: It seems to have a great solid base:...

3: However, as the rules went on I found them piling more and more: ambush, reacting to ambush, overwatch reacting to reactiopns to ambush, and so on...

4: Casualties are great in principle, but dependents, civilians, VIPs, POWs and how they all work with Morale, Confidence and so on sounds awfully complex...

5: they are defined to the exact weapon-loadout per trooper...

6: and orientation of buildings...

7: and how one would go about balancing non-prescribed scenarios?
1: Yes!

2: It does!

3: They're all just actions and reactions. It doesn't get complex in practice because few of those rules turn up too often. Usually one per scenario to make it interesting.

4: You've got eight guys on the table, keeping track of casualties is easy. Confidence is only really relevant in linked scenarios IIRC.

5: Gun is a gun, if it doesn't say "(+1)" or whatever after it then it doesn't really matter. Usually it'll say "LSW" or "SMG" or whatever, but really the detail is just for people who want to make sure their toy mans have the guns that the real people had in those situations.

6: not actually important at all TBH. Just make sure there's something there to represent cover or block LoS and you're usually fine.

7: one doesn't. It's all about the scenario play.

If you don't want to throw money at toy mans yet then the best advice I can give you is to paint some pennies and draw out a map for "Contracting Trouble" and give it a try playing against yourself, it'll all click fast for you then.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I still prefer the overall simplicity of Ambush Alley over FoF. It is, however, more limited in scope.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I still prefer the overall simplicity of Ambush Alley over FoF. It is, however, more limited in scope.
Isn't it fundamentally the same game, but Force on Force just adds all kinds of vehicles, symmetrical operations and other crap on top of it?

FoF's pretty great as long as you stick to a reasonable number of dudes on the table and, uh, don't mind really terrible editing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It is, and it isn't. I feel like FoF is more complicated, and needlessly so.

I have both (the new hardcover, and the original AA-only book) but AA is much more my style.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Not a lot of the additional complication is necessary though, it's just a whole pile of extra options that you can not bother to use.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Right, which means I didn't need the big rear end book.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I can toss up the file, but the laser cutter at my local fablab uses pdfs exported from inkscape, so I don't know if it will be useful.

If you (or anyone else) wants one I can certainly knock a few out in November. With or without the knotwork, your call.

If you wanna knock a few out, I'll toss you some cash for a few - four with knotwork would be optimal, as I'm making a personal demo box and a Saga-box for a friend's anniversary who has been out of the gaming market for a while due to space concerns. Dude loves vikings, as he and his wife doing viking reenactment, so I figure they'll get a kick outta this. Lemme know what you'd like for 'em and I can shoot you some cash via internet magic.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Is anyone familiar with anyone on SA mart selling flames of war 15's?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Is anyone familiar with anyone on SA mart selling flames of war 15's?

What are you looking for?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

British and German stuff mostly, any sort of odds and ends, preferably unpainted / unbased. For my skirmish armies.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Give me a day to check but I have a lot of odds and ends of Brit and German stuff from my Jewish and Estonian SS forces. The Germans would be either late war SS or mid-war Afrika and the Brits are generic late war stuff. At some point I was considering making a Brigade Piron so I think I have some Staghounds somewhere too.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Awesome! PM or drop me a line at

evan.bale@gmail.com if you feel like moving anything.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Quick WW2 British question: Was the uniform worn in the Pacific theater the same as in Europe or in Africa? Or something else entirely?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

moths posted:

Quick WW2 British question: Was the uniform worn in the Pacific theater the same as in Europe or in Africa? Or something else entirely?

Found this, might be helpful. The site is called the Fedora Lounge, you might want to wear gloves :stare:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?19732-WWII-British-Uniforms-Guide-British-Army

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

moths posted:

I don't want to spam up two threads, but I finished up a bunch of Free French for this month's oath thread and figured if anyone would appreciate them, they're ITT.

Turns out all you need is the old Battlefront tank sprue and a sharp knife to convert the Open Fire! Firefly tanks into 75mm turrets. They won't have hull MGs, but at 15mm (and a FoW table...) nobody's likely to notice.

These are pretty nice. Free French are one of my 'to do' armies, and considering the horrible batmitzva one of my Open Fire! Fireflies has suffered, I may do this once I get back into things. I'm still settling into Taiwan, so far I have only seen a few D&D players amongst the locals. I will have to feel out for some historical players. (Even then all my stuff is back in the states).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm weird and I'd probably do Vichy French, personally. Its surprising the number of people who had no idea they even existed and fought against the allies.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm weird and I'd probably do Vichy French, personally. Its surprising the number of people who had no idea they even existed and fought against the allies.

Such a statement wounds the Man of June 18! You should only play honorable French patriots like the FFI >:(

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Vichy FFL vs. Free French FFL is a dream of mine. One day, one day.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hedningen posted:

If you wanna knock a few out, I'll toss you some cash for a few - four with knotwork would be optimal, as I'm making a personal demo box and a Saga-box for a friend's anniversary who has been out of the gaming market for a while due to space concerns. Dude loves vikings, as he and his wife doing viking reenactment, so I figure they'll get a kick outta this. Lemme know what you'd like for 'em and I can shoot you some cash via internet magic.

Will do.

I'll make some post-Halloween and let you know.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm eventually going to paint up some 28mm SS-Charlemagne to fight my Soviets on a last days of Berlin table. Although that's so far off and there are so many projects in between...

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

moths posted:

I'm eventually going to paint up some 28mm SS-Charlemagne to fight my Soviets on a last days of Berlin table. Although that's so far off and there are so many projects in between...

I am so torn about this, because I've been reading the Fall of Berlin book by Anthony Beevor and on one hand it seems like it would be AMAZING: stories of the house fighting, volkssturm with panzerfausts, final pushes in and out of the zentrum and so on - but the level of human suffering (much like Stalingrad) seems so completely out of proportion. I understand it's a game and there are very different terms to moving toy-mans and RPing a Russian platoon gang raping women in a shelter - but I just find it so hard to motivate myself in a positive way.

Listening to Caesar's commentaries and he often mentions 'with no casualities, only a few injuries' or 'they submitted and we instructed neighbouring tribes not to bother them' - the contrast between classic and total war is so striking, when read in parallel.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

Listening to Caesar's commentaries and he often mentions 'with no casualities, only a few injuries' or 'they submitted and we instructed neighbouring tribes not to bother them' - the contrast between classic and total war is so striking, when read in parallel.
This is a mistranslation caused by civilian misunderstanding of military terms TBH. He basically said "nobody got hurt, except for those that did".

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Southern Heel posted:

Fall of Berlin book by Anthony Beevor

I just finished that book, although I prefer the alternate title "The Russians Raped Everyone".

Seriously, I was more than halfway through the book before I hit a chapter that didn't mention it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Vicious circle really: WW1 Germany failed at propaganda by portraying enemies as stupid or witless, so when the battle came there was a big surprise. The Allies made their protrayal as demons which worked. This was carried out to its logical extent by Nazi germany with all the attendant holocausts you can consider; and it's adoption forced the hand of the Soviets in return.

Seriously though, alot of rape.

Arquinsiel posted:

This is a mistranslation caused by civilian misunderstanding of military terms TBH. He basically said "nobody got hurt, except for those that did".

Is this a mistranslatiopn from military to civilian, or from language? The start of the commentary I'm reading speaks about the honesty of it's account (compared to the Civil war book later) and 'historians have found no challenge to the accuracy of this recount'. I am speaking broadly of course and there are exceptions as Livy recounts:

quote:

"So many thousands of Romans were dying ... Some, whom their wounds, pinched by the morning cold, had roused, as they were rising up, covered with blood, from the midst of the heaps of slain, were overpowered by the enemy. Some were found with their heads plunged into the earth, which they had excavated; having thus, as it appeared, made pits for themselves, and having suffocated themselves.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Southern Heel posted:

^ Vicious circle really: WW1 Germany failed at propaganda by portraying enemies as stupid or witless, so when the battle came there was a big surprise. The Allies made their protrayal as demons which worked. This was carried out to its logical extent by Nazi germany with all the attendant holocausts you can consider; and it's adoption forced the hand of the Soviets in return.

Seriously though, alot of rape.

Oh yeah, Beevor does a great job of explaining why it happened (without justifying it), but it seemed like overkill. I got it, they raped it everyone, you don't have to mention every chapter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

Is this a mistranslatiopn from military to civilian, or from language? The start of the commentary I'm reading speaks about the honesty of it's account (compared to the Civil war book later) and 'historians have found no challenge to the accuracy of this recount'. I am speaking broadly of course and there are exceptions as Livy recounts:
From military to civilian. When I was studying Latin way back in school, and this work in particular, I noticed that even the teacher had problems with military terms that were a basic part of wargaming knowledge. "They were defeated" was enough to get you by mostly, no need to go into how etc.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

From military to civilian. When I was studying Latin way back in school, and this work in particular, I noticed that even the teacher had problems with military terms that were a basic part of wargaming knowledge. "They were defeated" was enough to get you by mostly, no need to go into how etc.

Yeah, civilians tend to conflate 'casualty' with 'death' which is a common misunderstanding. So perhaps the passage meant there were few casualties, with no deaths or KIA.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, civilians tend to conflate 'casualty' with 'death' which is a common misunderstanding. So perhaps the passage meant there were few casualties, with no deaths or KIA.
Basically this, although to be fair to the work, it's cited as one of the classic examples of "clear and concise" Latin literature.

It isn't either of those things.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've played a quick game of Song of Blades and Heroes as a fantasy skirmish and I can see that Songs of Drums and Shako is also available. I've had a quick flip through the rules and it seems very similar in mechanics (that is to say quite abstracted and heroic instead of grognardy). I assume that with a more focus on long-range fire that cover would factor quite highly to avoid potshots across no-man's land.

All of the AARs I've read unfortunately have devolved into shooting matches across a field or whatnot, with little in the way of tactical manouvering or close combat. Has anyone played this and/or have anything to add?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Id recommend Sharp Practice as a Napoleonic era skirmish game. You will need a few more minis (probably about 50 a side) than you do for something like Songs of games but maneuver and tactics feel more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
So I just got a box of plastic soldier company 15mm M4A2 Shermans, my first historical miniatures (previously only done board game minis from Descent and Battles of Westeros) and I think I have a million questions, firstly about putting these together right. I am planning on making them 75mms, though I'm going to put the 76mm turrets together as well for versatility. I plan to use them for mid or late war Canadians (Italy or Normandy and beyond).

1. What is this thing and where does it go?
2. I'm assuming these are rear lights, and that they go on with the bars facing vertically?
3. Any reason this extra bit of track can't go on the front of the hull next to the MG?
How easy is it to switch the 50 cal between turrets, as in will it get lost or break if I don't glue it in? And which variations or eras of sherman would or wouldn't have the 50 cal at all?
Very excited to impoverish myself with this hobby, and I'm sure I owe it all to lurking this thread.