Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Sorry, is that different then how it used to be? Did they maybe take out that weird thing where the place you hit the model changes how much damage it does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
They used to do 95-105. If you watch he hits lot of different parts of the body and it does 115 every where. So a slight buff.

People are speculating that this maybe to pre-empt a sticky nerf (remember they changed the ways stickies detted but every one hated it). They changed it back but said they were still working on it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jippa posted:

They used to do 95-105. If you watch he hits lot of different parts of the body and it does 115 every where. So a slight buff.

People are speculating that this maybe to pre-empt a sticky nerf (remember they changed the ways stickies detted but every one hated it). They changed it back but said they were still working on it.

It doesn't do anything at all for the reason the sticky nerf was so terrible (sentries, minisentries, sentry nests) so I fully expect this to be rolled out any day now.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Does this mean the LnL does more damage too?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously Valve is going to remove all damage spread.

Next up, random crits.

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

So who's ready for an update to the halloween event? :allears:

edit; this is pretty much all I've been doing on valve servers. I've been keeping them safe from the horrors of sd_doomsday :colbert:

Pickle dicker fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 30, 2014

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Nthing the notion that I want to see a real Mario_Kart map post haste.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Pickle dicker posted:

So who's ready for an update to the halloween event? :allears:

edit; this is pretty much all I've been doing on valve servers. I've been keeping them safe from the horrors of sd_doomsday :colbert:

Can you teleport an enemy spy there

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Is the Steam marketplace broken? Spell prices on the marketplace have increased a shitton since yesterday (RIP my chances at buying a cheap spectral flame) and the spells I put up aren't in the listings (yet appear in my own listings).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jusupov posted:

You need a teleporter set up to get in there, so yes you can.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Same is happening with me, so I assume so.

Also the chart showing recent sales prices only lists up to 9pm last night.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

CoolCab posted:

It doesn't do anything at all for the reason the sticky nerf was so terrible (sentries, minisentries, sentry nests) so I fully expect this to be rolled out any day now.

What doesn't do any thing?

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

Jusupov posted:

I'm not sure. I saw a red spy running about in that spawn room a few times, though.
I was too busy helping us get to the bumper cars to bother with that poo poo.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jippa posted:

What doesn't do any thing?

Grenade directs, sorry, that was ambiguous. It would still take the same number of grenade directs to drop a nest (as far as I know), so if they nerf stickies on the basis of this buff they haven't addressed the problem.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Wasn't it proven that even nerfed stickies destroy a sentry in the same number of stickybombs?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Glory of Arioch posted:

Wasn't it proven that even nerfed stickies destroy a sentry in the same number of stickybombs?

No, the exact opposite was proven.

e: the great thing is letting a spy in your spawn actually has no net effect on your chances of winning; in fact, since it shortens rounds, it probably makes getting the achievements easier. Valve made a map where the best strategy is letting an enemy spy into your base.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 30, 2014

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

IncendiaC posted:

Is the Steam marketplace broken? Spell prices on the marketplace have increased a shitton since yesterday (RIP my chances at buying a cheap spectral flame) and the spells I put up aren't in the listings (yet appear in my own listings).

Baron von Eevl posted:

Same is happening with me, so I assume so.

Also the chart showing recent sales prices only lists up to 9pm last night.

Does this mean VALVe has made these things unmarketable? :dance:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

CoolCab posted:

Grenade directs, sorry, that was ambiguous. It would still take the same number of grenade directs to drop a nest (as far as I know), so if they nerf stickies on the basis of this buff they haven't addressed the problem.

Oh I see.

They have buffed rockets to be in line with the flat 115 dmg and apparently the lock and load does some thing like 135(?). Could you always one shot a scout with that thing I never use it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jippa posted:

Oh I see.

They have buffed rockets to be in line with the flat 115 dmg and apparently the lock and load does some thing like 135(?). Could you always one shot a scout with that thing I never use it.

I was using it today and I think it still can't quite one-shot a scout from full health, but I might be wrong. I hope I'm wrong, because it'd make it an even more fun scout counter to use.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Almost as bad as the dozens of spies bumping each other off the platform on lakeside. <:mad:>

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Jippa posted:

Oh I see.

The Loch N Load will one-shot any scout not holding the Pocket Pistol, yes. Sometimes the scout could get lucky and live anyway due to damage spread, but it looks like that's been removed from explosives so... yeah. Loch n Load is a scoutfucker.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Give some Scout bat the ability to reflect projectiles, then we'll see who's Loched N Loaded! :argh:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Cook posted:

Give some Scout bat the ability to reflect projectiles, then we'll see who's Loched N Loaded! :argh:

I love only having to dodge 2 projectiles instead of 4. :c00l:

Loch n Load is excellent for slaughtering snipers and spies though.

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

Pickle dicker posted:

Does this mean VALVe has made these things unmarketable? :dance:

aww they fixed it :saddowns:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Doomsday wouldn't be a bad map if it wasn't for mini sentry's. Unless you have like four players patrolling the tower by the time you get there you 'll have four mini SG engies on the top part of the map making everything unbearable

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

Goddamn that would own, but Valve would gently caress it up and give it the huge margin of error that the pyro airblast has, allowing the scout to reflect a rocket that gets shot behind him back at the soldier that shot it.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I was able to combine two of the new worthless market-saturated halloween cosmetics into a regular non-restricted hat. That's my Halloween story this year.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that bumper car soccer game is the most aggravating thing in the world and i'm finally free because after like 10 games of it my team finally won. now i can focus on knocking people out and other junk because i actually want that hammer

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Orange Harrison posted:

I was able to combine two of the new worthless market-saturated halloween cosmetics into a regular non-restricted hat. That's my Halloween story this year.

Wait, you can do that? I was planning on deleting the poo poo I got this year. I thought they were untradable and uncraftable?

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

Wait, you can do that? I was planning on deleting the poo poo I got this year. I thought they were untradable and uncraftable?

My cauldron items are untradeable/uncraftable too. Maybe he was talking about uncrated halloween items?

e: also spell prices have gone down a lot ever since the marketplace was fixed. I'm starting to think the downtime was intentional just so Valve could conduct more economy experiments :tinfoil:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I achievement managed my second cauldron and got the demo robot eye, the medic Jawa costume, and a strange haunted ghost man. Much better second haul, except I already have my Dead Little Buddy

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Are the new crates random drops? I haven't seen any yet.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Caddrel posted:

I don't think they added new crates. There's just the cauldrons and any unusual should be themed from any crate.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think part of the backlash to this year's event is because last year's was really positive and well-received in general. the map was a straight up improvement over the base one and let you play around with the spell gimmick a shitload. this year we have doomsday...with a combination jump pad/death trap. and the bumper cars are more finicky than anything else. on top of all that the gifts are way less frequent, which has never been a huge concern for me but it's not exactly helping the impressions of others.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
In the old thread I was lamenting that my worms soldier hat actually looks nothing like I thought it did. It's actually is a dark green.

I use a dx8 graphics config and after reinstalling windows the other week and backing up tf2 from my external hdd what ever setting it was that caused this is back!

This is what I thought it looked like all along, the still image doesn't do it justice, it's actually flashing/pulsating yellow/orange/black as well as the greandes :)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Caddrel posted:

Instead of buying holiday-keys for randomly dropped holiday-rates, you just buy "pre-unlocked" holiday crates for $2.50 from the store. It's basically identical to the previous system, but a lot more honest.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Also I bought a crate and got a Monoculus strangifier. Are these worth anything yet ??

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Glory of Arioch posted:

No, but after the sticky nerf was enacted some goon posted a video of him placing 3 stickies and blowing up a L3 sentry as evidence and a lot of people in this thread took that as proof that the sticky nerf didn't affect buildings. It did affect buildings and he was wrong on two counts. He carpeted the stickies instead of detting immediately so the damage reduction wasn't in effect. And actually it takes 2 (un-nerfed) direct sticks to kill a L3 sentry, 3 is just good measure to be certain. During the nerf I tested minis as well and they required 2 sticks to kill whereas before (and presently) it takes only 1 direct stick.

Stickies are fine as is. If there is one thing that should be nerfed, or rather remodeled, it's adding some sort of trail to better silhouette airborne stickies similar to rockets. That's what gets so many people about stickies, they don't look at where the stickies are going and move dodge them like they instinctively will against rockets. Stickies lack a visually distinct silhouette to aide apparent depth perception. They really aren't that deadly when you see them and move to dodge or lessen the damage you take.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Doomsday is an awful map, the bumper karts get old really fast and the cosmetics would be decent if they weren't restricted. Nothing about this halloween event is fun or interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Elth posted:

Doomsday is an awful map, the bumper karts get old really fast and the cosmetics would be decent if they weren't restricted. Nothing about this halloween event is fun or interesting.

Valve have complained that the halloween event doesn't make them money. And I'm not loving surprised since you can only wear your spooky hats during special occasions. Who wants to pay money for a chance at an unusual if you can't loving wear it all the time?

• Locked thread