Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Archonex posted:

I must have been misinformed then. Are they linear then? I'm aware that it's probably not going to be as freeform as the Elder Scrolls series is but I was under the impression that there was quite a bit of dicking around potential when it came to exploring and questing.

the big world project setup installer has options to download and install mods for both EE's but only the compatible ones and not the actual bwp mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Is there a guide somewhere that shows you what the different protection spells look like in combat, and which breach/dispel/remove/pierce/thrust/etc spell I should use to take them down?

Up until now I've been alternating between Remove Magic and Breach with somewhat moderate success. I noticed that Dispel Magic will gently caress over my front-line warrior, so I very rarely use that.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Krowley posted:

Is there a guide somewhere that shows you what the different protection spells look like in combat, and which breach/dispel/remove/pierce/thrust/etc spell I should use to take them down?

Up until now I've been alternating between Remove Magic and Breach with somewhat moderate success. I noticed that Dispel Magic will gently caress over my front-line warrior, so I very rarely use that.

This covers most of what you need to know: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Main.htm

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Krowley posted:

Look at the combat log to see what protection spells mages cast, you'll pick up on the visual effects by doing this. Also, use the protection spells on yourself :)

Check out Spell Thrust, Secret Word, and Ruby Ray of Reversal. Those 3 should take care of nearly every spell protection. Secret Word will take care of nearly every spell protection aside from Spell Trap and Globe of Invulnerability, which Ruby Ray of Reversal will take care of. Khelbin's Warding Whip is a 3 round spell that removes a protection each round, which can be useful against mages with contigencies/triggers.

Once you strip off the spell protections, Breach them and beat them down.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Khelben's Warding Whip is also great because it keeps ticking while the mage has used timestop.

I'd only recommend it if you have a few mages in your party though, its level 7 which has some other awesome spells so you probably won't want to waste the slots on KWW.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition is coming out today/tomorrow for any of you dudes who are interested in that.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Pwnstar posted:

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition is coming out today/tomorrow for any of you dudes who are interested in that.

Fantastic. Still my favorite of all the infinity games.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Speaking of Icewind Dale, I'm playing IWD 2 for the first time in over 10 years and I'm confused as to why my level 2 wizard can't copy to his spellbook or even use the Identify scroll I purchased.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Just reached the underdark, which is the farthest I've been. How do I effectively fight mind flayers?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Keith Atherton posted:

Speaking of Icewind Dale, I'm playing IWD 2 for the first time in over 10 years and I'm confused as to why my level 2 wizard can't copy to his spellbook or even use the Identify scroll I purchased.

The only reasons I can think of are either your wizard already has the spell in his spellbook, or it's not part of his chosen specialization.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

TequilaJesus posted:

Just reached the underdark, which is the farthest I've been. How do I effectively fight mind flayers?

Typically, with summons. Skeleton Warriors and/or Mordekainen's Swords preferably, because they're immune to psionics. There are other strategies, but that's the most basic good one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TequilaJesus posted:

Send one character ahead who either has really good saving throws or is immune to mind control so they waste their domination spells on them, then kill them normally. They go down pretty easy if the can't dominate any one.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

TequilaJesus posted:

The fifth level cleric spell chaotic commands will make you immune to their stun and dominate. Then tank their hits with summons like Bronze said or use someone with really good AC. Like -10 at least. If you use a real guy for a tank keep an eye on his intelligence because they'll still hit on a natural 20 and they get a lot of attacks per round. Other than that the normal rules apply. Haste up your dudes and chop up some squids.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

TequilaJesus posted:

Animate Dead will buy you time. If you prep your frontline guys with Chaotic Commands and Haste they'll kick rear end. Keep your weaker party members back.

Edit: Too slow - the previous post is a better answer

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 30, 2014

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

They're basically a pain in the rear end, particularly if you don't like resting often. They're very squishy though so you can generally just cover a few strong meleers with chaotic commands, haste them, then rush (maybe leading with some skeletons to absorb some hits). That usually covers a couple of rooms worth of them, so just rest, rinse and repeat.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
Oh, and if you're using a dummy like Minsc to tank and you have a few spare potions of genius, Algernon him so he can take more than a hit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also if you've got Korgan or are playing as a Berserker or Barbarian, their rage abilities make you immune to mind control too.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Mordekainen Swords generally rip them a new rear end. Just keep chucking them until everything is dead.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Thanks everyone! These guys are what halted my play-through years ago, so it'll be great to see what happens next!

Also: do you guys normally do the sahuagin city or skip it? I've done it both times now, so I'm just curious.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Skipped it first time because I didn't know I was skipping it, and have done it every subsequent time for the good loot, but I really enjoy (sahaugin spoilers I guess) how at the end there's a chance to basically say "I don't care what the gently caress you people do, just do whatever so I can leave." As the player I really have no interest in which fish monster wins fish monster town and it's nice to have the chance to say exactly that in so many words.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

anime tupac posted:

Skipped it first time because I didn't know I was skipping it, and have done it every subsequent time for the good loot, but I really enjoy (sahaugin spoilers I guess) how at the end there's a chance to basically say "I don't care what the gently caress you people do, just do whatever so I can leave." As the player I really have no interest in which fish monster wins fish monster town and it's nice to have the chance to say exactly that in so many words.

Yeah I can't see why you'd skip it. More loot and more xp is always a good thing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sahuagin City contains the one of the most broken items in the game, and for BG2 that's saying something! So why skip it?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

More or less immune to all magic on a cloak = by far the most broken item in the game.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

TequilaJesus posted:

It was already mentioned but simply buff your dudes with Chaotic Commands and go to town.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
You should buff your dudes with CC for pretty much every big fight anyway. It's one of the best buffs in the game.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
here are some steam codes for a game that might interest you

P64EF-DYBCJ-20AK4

X76M3-HVRDF-6LVX0

2QK3K-67LIL-RCNQB

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
So now that Icewind Dale: Enhanced edition is out: What's a good party composition in order to get as much out of the game as possible? I seem to recall that druids and bards get you extra dialogue options and such.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kirk posted:

2QK3K-67LIL-RCNQB

Took this one. Holy poo poo, thanks dude!

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Kirk posted:

X76M3-HVRDF-6LVX0

Thanks buddy.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Kirk posted:

P64EF-DYBCJ-20AK4

Much thanks.

memento mori
May 4, 2008
I'm so glad the Android version was released as quickly as the others. It felt like I waited forever for BG to come out.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm happy that IWDEE came out on GOG day 1 after what happened with BG. I'm not buying it right now because A) I'm a cheapass and B) Beamdog's reputation with buggy releases and incredibly slow patches, but I'm glad to know that it is there.

With November around the corner I am girding my loins for the holiday sales on GOG and Steam.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vichan posted:

So now that Icewind Dale: Enhanced edition is out: What's a good party composition in order to get as much out of the game as possible? I seem to recall that druids and bards get you extra dialogue options and such.

If it's using kits, I'd recommend the Avenger and Blade kits (though default Bard isn't as bad in IWD as BG2 because of the improved Bard songs).

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I had asked this in steam thread but I realized it's obviously a smarter question here:

Does Icewind Dale have that same bug from BG, where if you are playing multiplayer it will not cast heal spells automatically on rest? It really grinds the whole experience to a halt.

Edit: In enhanced edition, does the "paladin won't accept quest rewards" rule hold true for all paladin kits, even the evil blackgaurds?

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 30, 2014

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So any first time advice I need for Icewind Dale 1?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

LibbyM posted:

I had asked this in steam thread but I realized it's obviously a smarter question here:

Does Icewind Dale have that same bug from BG, where if you are playing multiplayer it will not cast heal spells automatically on rest? It really grinds the whole experience to a halt.

Edit: In enhanced edition, does the "paladin won't accept quest rewards" rule hold true for all paladin kits, even the evil blackgaurds?

Might be better coming back with this question in a few weeks as the game came out only hours ago. Pretty sure the thing with paladins is in IWD2 though (I could be wrong).

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Anyone play BG1/BG2 for ipad? How do they compare?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

So any first time advice I need for Icewind Dale 1?

I haven't bought EE yet, but the default advice I give is give everyone a missile weapon and get a druid and bard. Oh, early on there's a fight where a monster is immune to non magic weapons. The earliest magic weapon you get is a long sword so I'd give one of your melee guys pips in longswords.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Angry Lobster posted:

What? Never seen that,that's what I get foe never taking Imoen in ToB.
There is this dialog one can get:

quote:

Imoen: So ... Sarevok. You’ve had an itty-bitty piece of my soul in there for quite a while now. What's it been like?
Sarevok: (sigh) Well other than a slight obsession with my weight and the resurgence of a few pimples, it’s been simply grand. Now leave me be, girl.
Imoen: No, I’m serious. Does the fact that you have a little piece of me inside you make any difference at all? Tell me ... you owe me that much.
Sarevok: What do you wish to know, girl? What are you curious about? Perhaps you would be interested to know that I can feel the knives of Irenicus, slicing into my skin, torturing me. I can feel his hands and his breath, I *know* what he did to you, girl ...
Imoen: Al-alright, stop ... I wasn’t really serious ...
Sarevok: How about the agony you felt as your soul was ripped from you? The despair at being left only with the cold voices of your tainted heart, discovering what was inside you all along? How about the hurt you keep deep down within, wondering if you weren’t good enough for Gorion? How about the loneliness ... the unrequited longing you -
Imoen: Stop! Enough ... I won’t bother you, Sarevok, just -
(If Sarevok is evil)
Sarevok: You are pathetic, girl. When the true Bhaalspawn come to claim your essence, I hope you bring yourself not to flop onto your back at the first sign of danger!
Imoen: I ... I was enough to help kill you once, Sarevok! And I’ll stand by <CHARNAME> to the end, just you wait. It was ... obviously a mistake to talk to you. Excuse me.
(If Sarevok is good)
Sarevok: I feel many things, Imoen. And I know that you are stronger than you think you are.
Imoen: I ... thanks, Sarevok. I guess. Um ... excuse me ...

TequilaJesus posted:

Another trick one can use, that I employed when soloing with a Fighter/Mage/Thief, is to set a bunch of traps and then lure the mind flayers into them. Traps are generally quite effective, particularly against spellcaster-type enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

LibbyM posted:

Paladins and monks only refused quest rewards in IWD2, so we'll have to wait and see for IWD2:EE. I don't believe they would implement that in IWD1:EE.