Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

My galaxy s4 would like some words with you! Kies knew my phone was hosed but didn't do poo poo to fix it

Tunga posted:

until the OEMs/carriers get hold of it
The prosecution rests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Tunga posted:

The prosecution rests.

Which is horrible. Why couldn't kies just completely wipe your phone and redownload stock? Makes no sense

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Which is horrible. Why couldn't kies just completely wipe your phone and redownload stock? Makes no sense

Because kies is a Samsung product. It's not supposed to make sense.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Back in Samsung 4.2.2 days, Kies successfully detected my CM 10.2 S4 while I was copying music, poped a window just as I was doing a copy/paste and managed to wipe my phone, reinstall stock recovery and put touchwiz back in. Thank god for titanium backup and my external sdcard. All of this was done in background while I was watching tv. gently caress Kies forever and gently caress touchwiz forever. Took 30 mins to get all my poo poo back up but was a goddamn devil's job.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

RVProfootballer posted:

Why would T-Mobile touch the phone after you've voided the warranty? Hopefully someone helpful will come by, but you're basically on your own + guidance from here and xda. As far as I can recall, Samsung phones should be completely fixable if you can get it into download mode, get it seen in Odin, and have the stock flashable image thing.

Yeah this is my plan now. I saw plenty of solutions that worked for people on xda and other forums, so I was hellbent on making it work. I was able to track down the files I needed, but still "no sim card".

I am assuming the sim card would not have any reason to get hosed up by anything I'm doing and that its just the modem?

I've gone to a Verizon store in the past that had employees who rooted their phones. I asked some questions at the T-mobile store today and they were just not knowledgeable on anything past the settings menu, oh well. I just asked them if they could flash it back to stock for me, which they could not~

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Isaac Asimov posted:

e3:

Somehow everything I try now is recognizing my phone as a GT-N7105, instead of as a sgh-t889. How can I fix this?
I have CM11 on my Tmobile note 2. I read somewhere that the builds for SGH-t889 and GT-n7105 was intentionally merged into just one build (t0lte). In our case, there's nothing wrong with our phones being recognized as gt-n1705.

ijii fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 29, 2014

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

LastInLine posted:

RVProfootballer is pretty much right, when it comes to rooting you are expected to keep track of not only the files you need to do what you want to do but all the files you'll need if you want to go back.

In the future if it's something you want to burden yourself with there are Nexus phones that don't actively work against you but I think you'll find that the ones fighting you are the ones you'll most want to fix.

I wish you luck, I don't know where to find your files but hopefully you'll get lucky.

Yeah I know the deal, I've been in the scene a few years. My main problem was that I was trying to rush an update so I could meet people for dinner.

Also, dealing with intermittent apartment wifi was slowing down my file hunt a lot. It will go out for like an hour right when I find a link.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

ijii posted:

I have CM11 on my Tmobile note 2. I read somewhere that the builds for SGH-t889 and GT-n7105 was intentionally merged into just one build (t0lte). In our case, there's nothing wrong with our phones being recognized as gt-n1705.
I read that during my initial flashing, but I didn't have a few files that I needed to support the ROM.

Well I changed it back to sgh-t889 in build.prop because I didn't want to download anymore gt-n7100 files.

e
I'm currently downloading TMB_T889UVUCMK7_T889TMBCMK7.zip
Its at the halfway mark, after an hour, I really hope my wifi doesn't go out... the download is from one of those lovely slow/premium host sites, so it will block me from downloading again if it pauses or stops.
EDIT: YEAH IT STOPPED ALRIGHT. Man, I can't believe this poo poo.

How can I find a sgh-t889 bootloader file to download? Google isn't leading to any links.

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 30, 2014

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I ran the t0lte CM11 build on my ATT Note II as well (before I moved to an actual good ROM). I did always keep a collection of radios, kernels, etc accessible on the SD card so I'm not sure this helps other than to just say the device itself should work on the common build.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I was able to download your UVUCMK7 baseband from this link. Let me know if you need it rehosted.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5hrw5zr7hh4mnmt/T889UVUCMK7_Modem-Dec_9_13.zip

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

That would be amazing and I love you forever.

My main problem is that my phone says "sim card not inserted" and I have a circle with a line through it instead of a signal.
I haven't done all the work in flashing my phone in a while, I've just been using CM updates. The last update killed google services for me, then I flashed a dumb thing and lost my radio I guess.

Can sim cards become screwed up in a way that would require a replacement?

vv Cool thanks. I tried flashing a Jan/13 version with no luck, I'll try this. edit: Nope, I don't think it will change unless I can flash the stock firmware.

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 30, 2014

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

You could remove and re-seat the sim but it could need the right radio reflashed; here's the baseband rehosted: http://syrinxx.com/T889UVUCMK7_Modem-Dec_9_13.zip

The post I found it from is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=53603785&postcount=733

I'm not sure it's the most recent one for the Tmo Note II but hopefully it works to give you cell/wireless

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
What is the best way to go about rooting my Kindle Fire HD? I've seen some one click offers on websites, but wanted goon opinion first.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doomsday Jesus posted:

What is the best way to go about rooting my Kindle Fire HD? I've seen some one click offers on websites, but wanted goon opinion first.

Return it and buy a better tablet that you don't need to root?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

nimper posted:

Ok, hold on. I'll make some money appear out if thin air.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

nimper posted:

Since buying a new tablet might not be a reasonable solution.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1996873

edit: I don't have any experience rooting that device or using that method. But for as lovely as xda is its the best source for rooting info.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 30, 2014

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

edit: I don't have any experience rooting that device or using that method. But for as lovely as xda is its the best source for rooting info.

Thank you. I will look into this tonight.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Ok, hold on. I'll make some money appear out if thin air.

Returning it is almost like making money appear out of thin air, haha. I don't remember exactly how each of the Kindle Fire generations differs and don't know what yours cost, but I'd prefer a used or refurb Nexus 7 2013 (16GB) from eBay or wherever for ~$120-140 over any of the Kindle Fires if the Fire cost any more than like $50-60. Better display, better software, better apps, faster, etc etc. I know that isn't being too helpful, but I wanted to say slightly more than just "get a different tablet" while still having that as the basic message :) The bonus is that if you do want to do the whole root/ROM runaround, there's literally nothing better than a Nexus to use.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

r0ck0 posted:

That's for a very old model, and I don't believe that Doomsday Jesus specified which model he bought. I'm going to assume it's the most recent one, though, and as far as I can tell there is no root available for the new Kindle Fire tablets. Good luck and godspeed!

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

nimper posted:

That's for a very old model, and I don't believe that Doomsday Jesus specified which model he bought. I'm going to assume it's the most recent one, though, and as far as I can tell there is no root available for the new Kindle Fire tablets. Good luck and godspeed!

It is the first generation HD 7" screen model I bought when they first came out.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Doomsday Jesus posted:

It is the first generation HD 7" screen model I bought when they first came out.

Still well within the return period I'm sure. BTW poor choice, I hope you feel bad. Should have gotten a nexus dipshit.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doomsday Jesus posted:

As the owner of a Nook HD+ (from 2012), I feel your pain. This step-by-step guide thread and this thread with videos and both look quite useful. You should be able to follow the guide exactly, I think, and the rest of that thread should have common problems/questions and their solutions. The videos are likely out of date and don't directly apply anymore, but the general process should still be similar so they can help you see what to expect. Shouldn't be too hard.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

Still well within the return period I'm sure. BTW poor choice, I hope you feel bad. Should have gotten a nexus dipshit.

Go gently caress yourself! :banjo:

Thanks for the help everyone else.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

r0ck0 posted:

Trust me, I speak from experience when I say don't root your device; buy one that does what you want it to out of the box.

I helped my buddy root his Kindle Fire back in the day and it wasn't a fun experience. You have to have the USB drivers installed THIS way, not THAT way, if you mess up one step you have to start completely over, and there's a nonzero chance that you'll brick the device. It was a learning experience and it's not one I would care to repeat or wish upon anyone else.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Go gently caress yourself! :banjo:

Thanks for the help everyone else.

Haha, r0ck0 was joking and making fun of me and nimper, he was trying to help from the beginning. Serves him right for not immediately making GBS threads on anyone that buys a non-Nexus.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

RVProfootballer posted:

Haha, r0ck0 was joking and making fun of me and nimper, he was trying to help from the beginning. Serves him right for not immediately making GBS threads on anyone that buys a non-Nexus.

Whoosh :negative:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

True story I bought a new phone yesterday and rooted it in 3 minutes and now it does exactly what I want it to do and it didn't break anything and my new phone is rad as hell now with no ads and no bloatware.

I just thought I'd go and ahead make it so the rooted thread has a single post that isn't some smug nexuslord telling you not to do the very thing that this thread is here to discuss.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Syrinxx posted:

True story I bought a new phone yesterday and rooted it in 3 minutes and now it does exactly what I want it to do and it didn't break anything and my new phone is rad as hell now with no ads and no bloatware.

I just thought I'd go and ahead make it so the rooted thread has a single post that isn't some smug nexuslord telling you not to do the very thing that this thread is here to discuss.

I dunno have you seen the thread title lately?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

nimper posted:

Hoooly poo poo. I installed the latest teamhacksung build of CM7 on my Captivate last night. What a night and day difference. I had tried some of the froyo roms available on XDA but even those don't hold a candle to CM7. Just an all around zippy experience and I haven't even done any overclocking. Still a few bugs of course but those are to be expected.

My phone can finally live up to its potential, and the Samsung devs can :fuckoff:

How far we have come...

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

r0ck0 posted:

How far we have come...

Yeah that's kind of exactly my point. I didn't know any better and didn't buy phones that were good out of the box. Now I don't have that problem.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Fixed it last night, holy poo poo.

I'll elaborate later.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
On my fire tv, I just used towelroots. Not sure if Kindle HD is updated to block it.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Oh my god I don't miss any of this bullshit what so ever. Buying a Moto X (and then a Droid Maxx) and just using it has been the most liberating nerd loving phone thing I've ever done.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ninmeister posted:

Oh my god I don't miss any of this bullshit what so ever. Buying a Moto X (and then a Droid Maxx) and just using it has been the most liberating nerd loving phone thing I've ever done.

Preach on Moto buddy.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I will never use a non-rooted phone. BTW rooted doesn't mean load the latest teamsucklongdong build of futterbucker's superhypershit rom.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Any news on when the Lollipop images will be available for download/flash? The consumer ones, not the preview.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WugLyfe posted:

Any news on when the Lollipop images will be available for download/flash? The consumer ones, not the preview.
None at all.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ninmeister posted:

Even if you're like me and want to root and tweak things, buying a Moto X/Maxx is the answer.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So its not normal that Aroma (or whatever its called) be stuck on 1% formatting /system for several minutes while flashing a ROM, right?

Gah. What do I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

So its not normal that Aroma (or whatever its called) be stuck on 1% formatting /system for several minutes while flashing a ROM, right?

Gah. What do I do.

What is Aroma? What device? What rom? Probably let it sit longer.