Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cowslips Warren posted:

I fear it's worse, I AM MR. SMITH.

Or Ms. Smith. I am a lesbian, hear me take away your rights to scream insults at women, Neo!

You don't catcall other women?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Walter is my cousin, not a crazy person, but likes to joke with me about being a dumb liberal(all in good fun) Chris is a good friend who after joining the Army in 2004 started buying in to the Right Wing hysteria. Hannity is his favorite dittohead which should tell you a little bit. No doubt I could have handled this better and not been so aggressive, but peddling lies about a dead kid while defending his murderer gets my blood boiling.

My last post was cut off:

edit: update (Mike is me, Juan is my buddy)

Last one probably. Jesus gently caress! Guys... "This was a huge 'kid', a bad dude and a guy who felt he was cornered by the police for strong-arming (yes, that is what it was) a shopkeeper b/c he didn't want to pay for some cigars. "

hamster_style fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 30, 2014

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I really don't get the Chappaquidick jokes, it's been what 40 goddamn years? Old Ted had been dead for what almost 4 years already. I get it was done shady poo poo. But for fucks sake, that one kid only joined the army in 2004? He wasn't even alive when it happened. Christ I could get the old Freeper types holding on to it cause they're old bitter assholes who were at least alive when it happened. But it makes no sense for younger people to hold on to it. And it's even worse that all Republican malfeasance Jay goes right down the loving memory hole with the American people.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It shouldn't be thought of as anything more than a signifier of liberals getting special treatment (affirmative action, gay marriage, an obsequious media, hate crime legislation, Black History Month) and getting away with a heinous crime (voter fraud, Benghazi!, Fast and Furious, death panels). The actual details of the incident, who were involved, and when it occurred are ultimately irrelevant.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wait, you mean mandatory gun ownership for white Christian men?

Has anyone else heard people (men mostly) bitching about how the 'catcall lady of NYC' is just an uptight bitch who should accept that catcalling is flattering, and it was a fat friend of hers who told her it was offensive? The share on Facebook has been deleted but what the gently caress. A woman had a hidden camera and showed how many catcalls and disturbing yells she got as she walked down streets, ranging from strange men jogging alongside her peppering her with come-ons to guys yelling that she has a nice rear end. And women should find that poo poo flattering?

"Hey baby I wanna stick my dick in you FIND THIS ATTENTION FLATTERING YOU WHORE."

Yet the same men, presumably straight, freak the gently caress out if a gay guy hits on them. Ah, patriarchy, what CAN'T it do?

To crosspost from the pyf idiot thread, I found this guy on a local news station's reporting of that video. So the catcalling isn't really that bad, but even if it is it doesn't really matter because women control the world with their lady bits, but it's really not anyways because he totally hosed a waitress this one time. Also something about gay people flaunting it(I assume his fear of gay men catcalling him??).

KomradeX posted:

I really don't get the Chappaquidick jokes, it's been what 40 goddamn years?

I think it's just another version of "Remember that time Democrats did something lovely 59 years ago? Who's the assholes now? Probably not Republicans because that thing from 59 years ago. :smug:"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I guess that makes sense but it's so retarded especially when you have Joe Scarborough who were he not a Republican would be considered to have murdered a staffer of his while being a congressman. And if all you can bring up is Kennedy you would think that maybe your line of reasoning isn't so great. It's like if Democrats used the Teapot Dome Scandal add proof of Republican wrong doing. I just stunt get how these fucks are so made our of Teflon. I get that what passes for journalism today is a bunch of chickenshits to afraid to question power cause they might lose their "access." Is the most aggravating thing about republicans and their smug supporters. And yeah my knowledge on the situation is pretty sketchy all I know is something about drunk driving abs he bailed street the crash leaving the woman in the car where she drowned that's it.

I got into an argument with a friend the other week where I said Bill O'Riley is responsible for the murder of Georgia Tiller. And she refused to believe that, chocked it up to me just hating the guy. And said well wasn't he? When I kept hammering away with Tiller the Baby Killer. She didn't do this cause she's a supporter, she's fairly liberal. But she was a journalism major and it worries me if more of them are disconnected from the power that words have over people especially when they come from trusted news sources

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
We're talking about people that generally believe that Lincoln being a Republican 150 years ago is somehow relevant today, so in that context it's no surprise they think Chappaquidick is relevant.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Amused to Death posted:

To crosspost from the pyf idiot thread, I found this guy on a local news station's reporting of that video. So the catcalling isn't really that bad, but even if it is it doesn't really matter because women control the world with their lady bits, but it's really not anyways because he totally hosed a waitress this one time. Also something about gay people flaunting it(I assume his fear of gay men catcalling him??).

What the hell does 'gone swav' and 'not being brought enough' mean? I can't comprehend it.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Amused to Death posted:

I think it's just another version of "Remember that time Democrats did something lovely 59 years ago? Who's the assholes now? Probably not Republicans because that thing from 59 years ago. :smug:"

"So if catcalling random female units on the street is bad what's next: all men being put in a gas chamber??? Also this waitress one time lent me and some random female unit her apartment to bone."

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wait, you mean mandatory gun ownership for white Christian men?

Has anyone else heard people (men mostly) bitching about how the 'catcall lady of NYC' is just an uptight bitch who should accept that catcalling is flattering, and it was a fat friend of hers who told her it was offensive? The share on Facebook has been deleted but what the gently caress. A woman had a hidden camera and showed how many catcalls and disturbing yells she got as she walked down streets, ranging from strange men jogging alongside her peppering her with come-ons to guys yelling that she has a nice rear end. And women should find that poo poo flattering?

"Hey baby I wanna stick my dick in you FIND THIS ATTENTION FLATTERING YOU WHORE."

Yet the same men, presumably straight, freak the gently caress out if a gay guy hits on them. Ah, patriarchy, what CAN'T it do?
Men would LOVE to be catcalled. OH YEAH that attention from women would be AWESOME! At least, that's what defenders claim. God, it's such a stupid, appalling behavior that I (a man) cannot wrap my head around it.

Amused to Death posted:

stdh.txt

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Men would LOVE to be catcalled. OH YEAH that attention from women would be AWESOME! At least, that's what defenders claim. God, it's such a stupid, appalling behavior that I (a man) cannot wrap my head around it.

Men who say that are imagining getting cat-called by hot women the want to gently caress. If they were incessantly accosted and groped by women repulsive to them they'd be complaining about it even without the implied threat that these women could just decide to rape them.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry to rehash this known thing, but I made this back when I learned of the "orbital fracture" bullshit. If you've seen this on Twitter, it's mine:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

But did everyone stand up and applaud when you finished "ravaging" her?

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
My friends must be an an argumentative mood today. This is just all over the place. Warren is someone who I routinely debate with about the min wage increase. Which usually ends in "poor people deserve it". He's a "from the gut" type who never bothers to read anything that counters what his gut tells him. The whole "increase the cost to import" thing coupled with "prices will skyrocket if taxes/min wage is raised" is really :psyduck: to me. But I'm not an economist. Tera is my SiL, I have no idea what she means.

What?

hamster_style fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 30, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
All those farmers in Mexico displaced by NAFTA just had no skills and should starve.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
This showed up from a distant cousin:

I posted "It's a good thing kids aren't being spanked as often these days because several studies have shown that kids that are spanked are more likely to show aggressive behavior and lower IQ scores."

We'll see if it actually leads to discussion. I'm sure it will end with "I just thought it was funny."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

seiferguy posted:

I posted "It's a good thing kids aren't being spanked as often these days because several studies have shown that kids that are spanked are more likely to show aggressive behavior and lower IQ scores."

We'll see if it actually leads to discussion. I'm sure it will end with "I just thought it was funny."

"I too am afraid of the long-term effects of the terrible parenting that boomers inflicted upon my generation."

Alternately:

"Blaming your children for your mistakes as a parent is the most shameful thing ever."

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

seiferguy posted:

I'm afraid of a world run by people who can't even spell trophies right.

Also, he might respond with something along these lines:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The only way we're ever going to incentivize people to go out and get an education is by cutting their pay until they can't afford an education, or food for that matter.

Also, anyone who says that you shouldn't lovingly disciplining the wife and kids with a strap until they do want you want is spouting some seriously weak PC poo poo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Why do they have such a loving hard on for participation trophies.

If you're a real athlete and competitor? Those things go stuffed in the back of the closet. You know what got posted up? ACTUAL TROPHIES/GAMES YOU WON.

It's loving stupid.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
2nd and 3rd place trophies existed since forever and nobody ever goes "people will think theyre just as good as 1st!". Everyone knows it just means "you tried"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

If you're a real athlete and competitor? Those things go stuffed in the back of the closet. You know what got posted up? ACTUAL TROPHIES/GAMES YOU WON.

Yeah I don't get it. Do they really think their kids are so dumb they can't tell the difference between one of these

And one of these

?

Like, we can't encourage kids to develop a skill and teach them that even though only one team can win there's still honor in going out there and competing? No? We can't do that? Either you're the number one top of the heap in the Pee-Wee Division of West Silverlake Bluffs Soccar Club or you are nothing! NOTHING!!

RagnarokAngel posted:

2nd and 3rd place trophies existed since forever and nobody ever goes "people will think theyre just as good as 1st!". Everyone knows it just means "you tried"
Presumably these are the people who would inform their smiling kid bringing home a 2nd Place trophy "this just you're the first place loser"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 30, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's loving stupid.
They think the problem with participation trophies is that they think you shouldn't be awarded for just trying. Of course, the point of participation trophies for kids is to encourage them to try, even the kids who aren't all that good at it. Because kids like winning, but the point of kids sports is to get kids playing sports, to learn sportsmanship, and to learn to give it all their effort. Because they're kids, and not all kids are serious athletes or competitors. Let them have some fun and appreciate the effort they put in. Competing is worthwhile, which is why participation trophies exist: to appreciate the effort that the kids are putting in.

I remember reading an article a while back about some team that wasn't all that good from a tiny conference that made the NCAA basketball tournament only to get bounced out really quickly. They were devastated by the loss, for a little while. But for them just being in the game was a huge victory, going out there on national TV and competing their asses off against a way more athletic team, and they remembered all the great wins of the season and the awesome time they'd had, not the loss.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"I was spanked and I turned out perfectly normal which includes my intense desire to hit children."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

They think the problem with participation trophies is that they think you shouldn't be awarded for just trying. Of course, the point of participation trophies for kids is to encourage them to try, even the kids who aren't all that good at it. Because kids like winning, but the point of kids sports is to get kids playing sports, to learn sportsmanship, and to learn to give it all their effort. Because they're kids, and not all kids are serious athletes or competitors. Let them have some fun and appreciate the effort they put in. Competing is worthwhile, which is why participation trophies exist: to appreciate the effort that the kids are putting in.

I remember reading an article a while back about some team that wasn't all that good from a tiny conference that made the NCAA basketball tournament only to get bounced out really quickly. They were devastated by the loss, for a little while. But for them just being in the game was a huge victory, going out there on national TV and competing their asses off against a way more athletic team, and they remembered all the great wins of the season and the awesome time they'd had, not the loss.

The reason that these participation trophies even became a thing in the first place is because when all of the boomers had children who got old enough to begin little league, the parental attendance of these events suddenly shot through the roof and all of a sudden these organizations were inundated with parents wondering why their child wasn't getting a trophy of some sort.

It's not like the kids were demanding this stuff. When boomers complain about it they are attempting to deflect the perceived blame of their own actions onto their own children. It's disingenuous as hell because they never ever point to members of their own generation with this criticism.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The reason that these participation trophies even became a thing in the first place is because when all of the boomers had children who got old enough to begin little league, the parental attendance of these events suddenly shot through the roof and all of a sudden these organizations were inundated with parents wondering why their child wasn't getting a trophy of some sort.

It's not like the kids were demanding this stuff. When boomers complain about it they are attempting to deflect the perceived blame of their own actions onto their own children. It's disingenuous as hell because they never ever point to members of their own generation with this criticism.

It's what I don't get.

It's never "Their" fault, it's always "Our" fault for a lot of things that were beyond our control.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think this is a relevant quote on participation:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's what I don't get.

It's never "Their" fault, it's always "Our" fault for a lot of things that were beyond our control.

They'd rather not think about how badly they hosed over their children's generation, because otherwise how the gently caress would they sleep at night.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I always thought that participation trophies were like the mythical "stress cards" that old veterans complain about apparently they do actually exist. I learned something today.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

What if they gave you a participation trophy for spanking your kids?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

They'd rather not think about how badly they hosed over their children's generation, because otherwise how the gently caress would they sleep at night.

It legitimately makes me angry.

I was told all of my life to go to college so I wouldn't get stuck working at McDonalds, Starbucks, and all of this other poo poo. I went to college so I could do something for a career for that reason. It's the exact same thing my father did, and his friends/family did.

Now? The EXACT SAME PEOPLE are shaming me, my brother and my friends for going to College.

"What a waste of money"

"You know College isn't for everyone"

"What are you too good to work at McDonalds?" (I just got hired for a part time job at minninum wage fwiw).

"You should have went to a trade school to be a plumber or something"

Double speak and refusing to own up to their mistakes.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Drew Magary has a good piece on participation trophies and competition.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/down-with-americas-kid-competition-complex-1601764538

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

It legitimately makes me angry.

I was told all of my life to go to college so I wouldn't get stuck working at McDonalds, Starbucks, and all of this other poo poo. I went to college so I could do something for a career for that reason. It's the exact same thing my father did, and his friends/family did.

Now? The EXACT SAME PEOPLE are shaming me, my brother and my friends for going to College.

"What a waste of money"

"You know College isn't for everyone"

"What are you too good to work at McDonalds?" (I just got hired for a part time job at minninum wage fwiw).

"You should have went to a trade school to be a plumber or something"

Double speak and refusing to own up to their mistakes.

I remember before I was 13, my parents told me many times, "work hard in school! We don't want you to hate us or yourself if you become a taxi driver because you've been slacking off all the time!"

Now? "Take whatever you can. What? Dignity? You're working for someone else, you have no dignity :smuggo:"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember before I was 13, my parents told me many times, "work hard in school! We don't want you to hate us or yourself if you become a taxi driver because you've been slacking off all the time!"

Now? "Take whatever you can. What? Dignity? You're working for someone else, you have no dignity :smuggo:"

Cavuto just had some poo poo head on who was being all :smug: about how he wasn't paying for his 8 kids to go to school and encouraging them to start their own business.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2811501/If-kids-want-college-ll-pay-Meet-father-eight-refuses-save-money-children-s-education.html

But of course! The guy lives in Orange loving County, California and likely has millions of connections to help his kids out in which ever way possible.

He and Cavuto then both insisted that they and many people like them had to pay for College out of their own pocket and not from their parents. (which is amusing because my dad ADMITTED that his father paid for him to go to school, along with my aunt and uncle).

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
It also completely ignores the fact that paying for school out of packet is next to impossible with the current costs of higher education. Not to mention tons of people pay for their own education... over the course of about a decade due to loans.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I roll my eyes whenever boomers tell me about how college kids they know have jobs being lifeguards or at Cisco or whatever to pay for university, ignoring that by itself is still by no means enough and that a lot of them still have to take a fuckload of debt.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Like honestly what do you expect from people who will unironically believe guys like Romney and Trump bootstrapped their way to success.

I know a girl who applied to like twenty law schools and only got into one bullshit pay-out-the-rear end T4 private school and she is heading to a prestigious judge's clerkship in DC because her dad is rich as gently caress and knows a ton of people. She constantly talks about how hard she worked to earn what she has.

The problem in America is less the existence of privilege than it is the obliviousness of privilege.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I roll my eyes whenever boomers tell me about how college kids they know have jobs being lifeguards or at Cisco or whatever to pay for university, ignoring that by itself is still by no means enough and that a lot of them still have to take a fuckload of debt.

Well then, every single millennial, maybe you should have worked harder in highschool and gotten a scholarship :smug:

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Just smile and glass their drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

ErichZahn posted:

Just smile and glass their drink.

Glass their drink?