Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I didn't get one single blister.

This, I guess, on account of my feet having been bound up like an Imperial China 17-year old prize bride.

I started feeling something in them again about a week later. It's kinda funny how much poo poo you can endure when you're a kid and not get permanent damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

At MCT we had black plates marked FOR TRAINING ONLY on them

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

zombie303 posted:

Or not be a dumbass? Brand new boots on a ruck? Mountain climbers, go.

i did that poo poo in soi on the 15k hump with a pair of danners. whooops

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i did that poo poo in soi on the 15k hump with a pair of danners. whooops

ahaha I bought loving danners and then realized it was like having concrete shoes they're so loving heavy

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

ahaha I bought loving danners and then realized it was like having concrete shoes they're so loving heavy

yep never wore em again except for a few formations since they were so unused

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
battalion or brigade or whatever tried to make them maqndatory for our afghan deployment.

lmao never seen so many people band together to say gently caress the commander in my life.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
A wise SNCO advised me that Danners were just for show, and anyone that wears them daily is a wannabe tool.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

They started issuing them at boot camp last month.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

My safety boots were so comfortable. Too bad fuckers would bitch up a storm if I wore them outside of my workcenter.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They get a lot of poo poo but I always liked a broken in pair of Bellevilles.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the sad thing is nothing compares to just a good pair of hiking boots

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Reverand maynard posted:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I do like them. Although I am sad that if anything happens to my old flight deck boots, I can't find a replacement.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Reverand maynard posted:

For real.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
altima hoplites bitches. only boot i wore for five years.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Reverand maynard posted:

Thump! posted:

For real.

It's all a wore through college.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I still wear a pair of Bevelles that I got issued in Iraq 10 years ago

They're rad as hell

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
When I went to Iraq, I had a new pair of Air Force issued boots that everyone referred to as smurf boots. The Army Lt Col I worked for told me that the dirtier the got, the better they looked. First time I was ever complimented for having lovely looking boots.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's only a few pairs of boots on the list of what your unit is allowed to buy you here. The Bellevilles I had were loving terrible, I thought I had plantar fasciitis until I realized my feet got better during longer periods of not wearing my boots. As it turns out none of the other boots on the list are wide enough for my feet and because I'm required to have safety toes it's not like they're going to stretch out. So I went and bought a pair of Rockys out of pocket and my feet feel great.

I'm apparently not alone in the Belleviles wrecking my feet. Chief started buying non safety toe boots for people and saying he'll take the fall if we ever get called out on it.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I wore oakley's boot offerings in Iraq. I've never looked back after that.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

LCL-Dead posted:

I wore oakley's boot offerings in Iraq. I've never looked back after that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is worse than the air force thread.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazy Reservist posted:

When I went to Iraq, I had a new pair of Air Force issued boots that everyone referred to as smurf boots. The Army Lt Col I worked for told me that the dirtier the got, the better they looked. First time I was ever complimented for having lovely looking boots.

Apparently the Pattern 83 chest rig from South Africa was actually supposed to get dirty, since the Nutria brown color it was dyed would only properly blend in with the Sub-Saharan terrain when colored by usage in the field.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Bootchat? I picked up a pair of these this week: http://uspatriottactical.com/nike-sfb-field-ar670-1-compliant-army-tactical-boot-desert-tan/

Not as comfortable as my beloved synthetic leather New Balance boots but pretty excellent given that people are starting to care about boots being 670-1 compliant.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I wore my boot camp New Balance sneakers during every morning PT for all four years.

I bought 1 pair of boots while I was in. They were my "garrison boots" to go with my "garrison cover" and "garrison cammies".

All of which of course aren't a thing because REAL Marines keep their full boot camp issue intact and presentable for the duration of their careers. Only a disgusting loving pig would dishonor his uniform by neglecting to sew-up a crotch hole or by putting starch anywhere near his cover.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Victor Vermis posted:

I wore my boot camp New Balance sneakers during every morning PT for all four years.

I bought 1 pair of boots while I was in. They were my "garrison boots" to go with my "garrison cover" and "garrison cammies".

All of which of course aren't a thing because REAL Marines keep their full boot camp issue intact and presentable for the duration of their careers. Only a disgusting loving pig would dishonor his uniform by neglecting to sew-up a crotch hole or by putting starch anywhere near his cover.

Nerd.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

lol if you didn't wear coveralls and safety boots for literally everything short of a uniform inspection or safety stand down

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bolow posted:

lol if you didn't wear coveralls and safety boots for literally everything short of a uniform inspection or safety stand down

I still wear coveralls when working on poo poo like cars or painting although I'm usually in a pair of flip flops with that.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 30, 2014

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Bolow posted:

Uniform inspection was every morning?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

zombie303 posted:

Always inspecting.
Always judging.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

zombie303 posted:

I think I wore my utilities like once a week for 20 minutes at a time for 4 years

#justairwingthings

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

zombie303 posted:

I remember having to put on an inspection ready set of utilities and boots for breakfast/quarters every morning. I would then immediately go change into a pair of paint coveralls and boots with paint/poo poo on them for morning work. A little before lunch I would have to go change back into my inspection utilities or I couldn't eat on the mess decks. After lunch, change back out. If we had to work past dinner, I would have to change again to eat and then back to work again. If I had to leave the ship, I'd have to put utilities back on because coveralls weren't allowed on the pier. I spent at least an hour each day when I was junior enlisted just changing loving clothes.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

I remember having to put on an inspection ready set of utilities and boots for breakfast/quarters every morning. I would then immediately go change into a pair of paint coveralls and boots with paint/poo poo on them for morning work. A little before lunch I would have to go change back into my inspection utilities or I couldn't eat on the mess decks. After lunch, change back out. If we had to work past dinner, I would have to change again to eat and then back to work again. If I had to leave the ship, I'd have to put utilities back on because coveralls weren't allowed on the pier. I spent at least an hour each day when I was junior enlisted just changing loving clothes.

That sounds exhausting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

zombie303 posted:

That sounds exhausting.

A large chunk of my seven years in the military was some form of dressup.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I showed up to work in civilian clothes. Put some coveralls on and my work boots. Then changed out of said coveralls and back into civies for lunch and leaving work.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bolow posted:

I showed up to work in civilian clothes. Put some coveralls on and my work boots. Then changed out of said coveralls and back into civies for lunch and leaving work.

Civilian clothes would have just added in another step in the chain. I could eat breakfast in street attire, but I'd still have to change into utilities for quarters and then back into coveralls for work.

Changing clothes so drat many times a day when I was enlisted definitely made me squash any of that poo poo I came across as an officer. I get that they don't want dirty clothes on the mess decks, but changing clothes 5-10 times every day just to function is pretty god damned stupid.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

Civilian clothes would have just added in another step in the chain. I could eat breakfast in street attire, but I'd still have to change into utilities for quarters and then back into coveralls for work.

Changing clothes so drat many times a day when I was enlisted definitely made me squash any of that poo poo I came across as an officer. I get that they don't want dirty clothes on the mess decks, but changing clothes 5-10 times every day just to function is pretty god damned stupid.

on my ship they were pretty tolerant, as long as your coveralls or flight deck jersey wasn't totally filthy but the carrier had plenty of other morale drains to lean on

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The rule was uniform of the day only on the mess decks. Engineering was allowed to be in coveralls because it was their uniform of the day. Deck personnel, even if we weren't in painted up nasty coveralls, were not, because our uniform of the day was utilities. Since this only really affected a handful of people no one gave a poo poo about our bitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Boot chat! Did my last deployment in 2 pair of Solomons. High ankle for when you do night ops in the mountains and need extra support. Low ankle when you know you're going to make contact and need to run fast. The idea of "combat boots" is an absolute joke.