Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

So America and its colonies

Man, even though America engineered a military coup to unseat and assassinate a democratically elected president here I still can't get amazon video. This is bullshit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vincent posted:

Man, even though America engineered a military coup to unseat and assassinate a democratically elected president here I still can't get amazon video. This is bullshit!

You'll have to be more specific. :patriot:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

IRQ posted:

You'll have to be more specific. :patriot:

Clearly he isn't thankful enough for the freedom we gave him. If he were, maybe his country would deserve Amazon.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I loving hate Amazon streaming. I mean the original stuff they're doing is fine, but I don't get a streaming service that also serves as a rental service at the same time, particularly when they do the trick of making the later seasons of something chargeable.

Also, it's hilarious to see how inept Sons of Anarchy is this season (Apply that to the last few). Sutter is utterly unaware of how his characters come across.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The HBO Collection makes Amazon Prime worth it for at least a month or two, but otherwise there isn't really enough content to keep it around indefinitely, since the film selection is pretty much "Netflix, but less" and Hulu has a generally much better TV selection.

Also, Amazon has the worst interface of all three, which is quite the accomplishment.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

Sutter is utterly unaware of how his characters come across.

Badass and cool?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm wondering if HBO will pull all their content from all the streaming providers when they launch streaming only HBO Go.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

precision posted:

The HBO Collection makes Amazon Prime worth it for at least a month or two, but otherwise there isn't really enough content to keep it around indefinitely, since the film selection is pretty much "Netflix, but less" and Hulu has a generally much better TV selection.

Also, Amazon has the worst interface of all three, which is quite the accomplishment.

Yeah but in terms of pure value Prime also offers a bunch of free music as well as Prime shipping so it's a little different. Still, I wouldn't be paying for it if it hadn't auto-renewed for a year on me already.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I'm wondering if HBO will pull all their content from all the streaming providers when they launch streaming only HBO Go.

It seems likely, but at the same time I'm sure that the Amazon contract is for a couple of years so it won't happen immediately.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Wow, Agents of Shield did actually become watchable about fourteen episodes in. Such a shame that the first dozen were so bad they made people literally poo poo themselves to death.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Marvel's Agents of Shield: the index case for Ebola.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Irish Joe posted:

Badass and cool?

Never stop posting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 4 of American Horror Story is one hell of a polished turd. I'm not going to keep watching it because so much of the material is gross (and the funny thing is, I'm not at all referring to what the "freaks" look like) but goddamn it is so well made I wish I were interested in it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Judge Clayjar posted:

u draw dicks on your trapper keeper during science class while u get boners at the girls around u because ur in middle school

I really appreciate how much time you take to make your avatars, as well as your hilarious inputs from time to time. You're one of the better parts of Couch Chat.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Was there a thread for The Fall? / Is there going to be a thread for season 2 of The Fall?

E: Season 1 thread, with a disappointing 20 replies :(

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 30, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Daric posted:

Uh so on Marry Me tonight the gay dude Derrick from Happy Endings showed up as...gay dude Derrick. He was playing the same character. Except Penny is not Penny in Marry Me.

My continuity!

Is this show going to be cancelled? Because I love it and want it to go away never. It's basically Happy Endings with slightly different characters but I adored Happy Endings.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Thanks to whoever recommended Transparent. I threw it on as something to watch while I practice guitar and I've become totally engrossed. What a powerful show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Transparent. I threw it on as something to watch while I practice guitar and I've become totally engrossed. What a powerful show.

Yeah it's real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X47BB82s5AI
Teaser for Netflix's entry into the epic fantasy genre Marco Polo. I know it really happened but this is because of GoT for sure.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
CBS' Supergirl series is starting to look for their lead actress, and there's a surprising lack of "Superman" to be found. Refreshing, really, if she is Superman instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sober posted:

CBS' Supergirl series is starting to look for their lead actress, and there's a surprising lack of "Superman" to be found. Refreshing, really, if she is Superman instead.

It doesn't say in that article, but the casting is being done by the same guy that cast Amell as Ollie Queen and Gustin as Barry Allen.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

It doesn't say in that article, but the casting is being done by the same guy that cast Amell as Ollie Queen and Gustin as Barry Allen.

So he's good at finding empty-headed himbos with good abs. The question is, can he find a woman with similar qualities (toned, good legs, solid rack)?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Irish Joe posted:

The question is, can he find a woman with similar qualities (toned, good legs, solid rack)?

Jessica Lange

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

So he's good at finding empty-headed himbos with good abs. The question is, can he find a woman with similar qualities (toned, good legs, solid rack)?

Mmmm haha!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Starz is also looking at a streaming only service.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does Starz have any ongoing shows people would pay for though?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Josh Lyman posted:

Does Starz have any ongoing shows people would pay for though?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3006802/reference

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

So, no? Have they or HBO made any noise about what price they're looking for? How much does a cable company pay them for each subscriber?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ariza posted:

So, no?

It's a brilliant show, one of the few current ones I actually would pay money for.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Okay so if SHOWTIME is second-rate HBO then Starz is third-rate HBO right?

Who's fourth?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Cardboard Box A posted:

Who's fourth?

Cinemax.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Who's fourth?
Well starz is owned by HBO, so um

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait no that's Cinemax, whoops

Ed: also I'm surprised google hasn't launched a premium cable service yet, it seems like it'd be up their alley

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Cinemax has been building up its own original programming, so Starz isn't even solidly ahead of that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The way their CEO said it he sounded real fatalistic. I imagine all the premium channels will launch their own services (if HBOGo remains profitable)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cinemax > Starz

Starz might have gotten the slight edge when it was airing Spartacus but now I would be totally fine divorcing Starz from my cable package if I could do it easily, with no loss of anything else, and for some actual savings. Cinemax has some fun shows like Banshee and Strike Back, and I still haven't given The Knick a try.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Starz was nice that one year when they had Party Down and Spartacus.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

The way their CEO said it he sounded real fatalistic. I imagine all the premium channels will launch their own services (if HBOGo remains profitable)
I was listening to a podcast the other day and I can't remember the topic, but one person talking about this shift in a certain industry, but the other said it's not a trend if only 1 company is successfully doing it. That's the mistake here, all the premium channels thinking that just because HBO can launch a paid streaming service, they all should.

However, if they can maintain their income from cable subscriptions, there's no reason not to, just in case a handful of cord cutters here and there want to pay for Banshee or something.

edit: Oh yeah, it was about how Marvel is successfully building a "cinematic universe" and that everyone else, from Harry Potter to Star Wars to DC is trying to copy that formula.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 30, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe they'll bring Party Down back? Please?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

zoux posted:

Teaser for Netflix's entry into the epic fantasy genre Marco Polo. I know it really happened but this is because of GoT for sure.

Depsite the name/ostensible source material, this is very clearly a work of fantasy fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

Depsite the name/ostensible source material, this is very clearly a work of fantasy fiction.

Well then there better be shitloads of kung fu.

• Locked thread