Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

MadSparkle posted:

...So I already have a friend who can't get into this season at all because it's 'all over the place and confusing' and who loved Coven with its stabby mean girl 'We're witches, bitch' stupidity! . She couldn't get into seasons 1 or 2 either. I want to beat her with a clown mallet. What the gently caress is wrong with some people?

Slowly pull her into it. I didn't really like 1 and 2 either until I learn to embrace the crazy amount of cuts and amount of poo poo happening in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
Or, and this is just a suggestion, you can accept that people will sometimes have different tastes than you and let your friend watch shows she wants to watch.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

TrekBek posted:

Or, and this is just a suggestion, you can accept that people will sometimes have different tastes than you and let your friend watch shows she wants to watch.

gently caress that.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Tired Moritz posted:

Slowly pull her into it. I didn't really like 1 and 2 either until I learn to embrace the crazy amount of cuts and amount of poo poo happening in it.

I already tried, but unfortunately she just doesn't have the attention span for it, and is mainly accustomed to reality shows. I think that's been the thing for her and she readily admits that she can't watch regular fictional shows anymore due to being hooked on bad reality TV. I'm like, But AHS is just like reality TV! I mean really. The earlier seasons esp S2 and and this season are just as over-the-top. So you'd think she'd appreciate it. But no.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

MadSparkle posted:

...So I already have a friend who can't get into this season at all because it's 'all over the place and confusing' and who loved Coven with its stabby mean girl 'We're witches, bitch' stupidity! . She couldn't get into seasons 1 or 2 either. I want to beat her with a clown mallet. What the gently caress is wrong with some people?
put on a show for her and show how good it is, you are a good person

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

One thing I really like about this season is the constant idea that the real monsters look like normal people; like Dandy. Just by looking at the guy and not even hearing any of his temper tantrums one would probably just assume he's a normal human being, a little odd, but not much of a threat. On the reverse side of the coin are the freaks that are constantly getting hassled or people make assumptions about them because of their appearance.

After last night's episode I've decided I'm in this season for the long haul.

MadSparkle posted:

Lose the friend, she's dead weight.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Not Today Satan posted:

One thing I really like about this season is the constant idea that the real monsters look like normal people; like Dandy. Just by looking at the guy and not even hearing any of his temper tantrums one would probably just assume he's a normal human being, a little odd, but not much of a threat. On the reverse side of the coin are the freaks that are constantly getting hassled or people make assumptions about them because of their appearance.

This has been probably the single largest theme which unites all seasons of AHS. The biggest monsters in each season were the perfectly "normal" humans who inflict terror on others whom they perceive as lesser than them.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

This has been probably the single largest theme which unites all seasons of AHS. The biggest monsters in each season were the perfectly "normal" humans who inflict terror on others whom they perceive as lesser than them.

Exactly. The message seems reinforced with this time period as well though so it feels like it pops out more starkly. The 50s being imo the pinnacle of obsession with 'normal', and everything being about that ideal, and ANY kind of even slight external deviation from that ideal is considered 'freakish'. I think they really chose the perfect time period in a way.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Captain Mog posted:

Season 1 and 3 didn't really have a main bad guy, so I don't see this.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Tenzarin posted:

To be fair the Witches looked like normal people. Maybe?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Captain Mog posted:

I think you could make a case for this applying to Asylum, but I don't see how that fits at all in Coven. The only 'normal' people in Coven were maybe Patti LuPone and son, and Patti at least wasn't any more or less monstrous than the witches/various other monsters themselves (and her son was probably the only wholly 'good' person in the show).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

xeria posted:

I think you could make a case for this applying to Asylum, but I don't see how that fits at all in Coven. The only 'normal' people in Coven were maybe Patti LuPone and son, and Patti at least wasn't any more or less monstrous than the witches/various other monsters themselves (and her son was probably the only wholly 'good' person in the show).

Coven was also bad, though. Sooooooo.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Constance for season 1, you'd have to be an idiot to watch season 3 so who knows whether or not it had a villain???

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Crummelhorn posted:

Constance for season 1, you'd have to be an idiot to watch season 3 so who knows whether or not it had a villain???

She basically did nothing bad in all of season 1, there was no main bad person. It was like season 3 a bunch of dumb bad people that kinda win/lose the entire time.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Tenzarin posted:

She basically did nothing bad in all of season 1, there was no main bad person. It was like season 3 a bunch of dumb bad people that kinda win/lose the entire time.

She did try to murder a teenage girl, collided in the murder of her son, kidnapped a child etc

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I think you could make an argument that The House was the main villain of S1.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

American Horror Story: Smart House

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Mmy biggest problem with this series is that nearly 100% of the cast after S1 is a Bad Person. Or at the very least they've done enough bad stuff where you don't quite feel terrible if they get hurt/die, even if they've achieved redemption at some point.

The only innocent person in S2 that I can recall is Rabe (:swoon:) and even she becomes literally the devil. S3 I wanted everyone to die (and they all did, multiple times).

Horror doesn't work like that, if you want it to be effective. Imagine Friday the 13th, but instead of clueless teenagers who are just looking to have a good time wander in the woods you took a group of pedophiles on a camping trip. You wouldn't care who lived or died, and there'd be zero tension. That's pretty much AHS in a nutshell.

However, I'd totally loving watch Jason kill pedophiles for 90 minutes every year on Halloween, so maybe I'm just wrong.

e: VVV Oh yeah except for her.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 31, 2014

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

I didn't want Rabe/Misty to die in Coven. Everyone else though, yes. She was the ONLY redeeming aspect of that season and the way they offed her was just so goddamn HORRIBLE. Why the hell would they do that to such a great character? Goddammit, it really pissed me off.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

MadSparkle posted:

I didn't want Rabe/Misty to die in Coven. Everyone else though, yes. She was the ONLY redeeming aspect of that season and the way they offed her was just so goddamn HORRIBLE. Why the hell would they do that to such a great character? Goddammit, it really pissed me off.

And I've said It before, but not leaving the only absolutely lethal test for last was loving stupid.

radlum
May 13, 2013
The creepiest part of this couple of episodes is that I've listened to my upstairs neighbor have the same arguments with his maid that Dandy had in these episodes, down to the "I'm not afraid of you" line.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

And I've said It before, but not leaving the only absolutely lethal test for last was loving stupid.

This. Absolutely. That was pretty lame.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

The only innocent person in S2 that I can recall is Rabe (:swoon:) and even she becomes literally the devil

What? Kit is literally the nicest person in the world in that season. I always figured that was why the aliens took an interest. And the worst quality Lana Banana has is ambition. I thought there were plenty of sympathetic characters in season 2.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It's been since it aired since I've seen it, but yeah he was an exception I was thinking of. If I'm mistaken though he racks up a decent body count outside (and in) the Asylum, though not totally of his own volition.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

It's been since it aired since I've seen it, but yeah he was an exception I was thinking of. If I'm mistaken though he racks up a decent body count outside (and in) the Asylum, though not totally of his own volition.

He does not kill a single person. He even talks Lana out of killing Thredson. Kit Walker is a stand up guy.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

MadSparkle posted:

I skimmed this post thinking you were talking about Lilly Rabe in season 2 and I was aggressively shaking my head in agreement.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lily Rabe has been absolutely amazing in every season. I had no idea who she was when season 1 started and she just sold me on her acting immediately.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Bass Bottles posted:

I skimmed this post thinking you were talking about Lilly Rabe in season 2 and I was aggressively shaking my head in agreement.

Well, that too come to think of it. Goddamn. She's always gotten the short end of the stick, every season. Though in the 1st one she did have it pretty terrible too but then she finally had her babbie and was like, Screw this, I'm not even sure I like kids.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I hope John Carroll Lynch gets an Emmy nomination. He's a really underrated actor and he was so good as Twisty.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

OMG! Tom and Lorenzo have AHS weekly recaps...how is it I didn't know about this?!
http://tomandlorenzo.com/?s=AMERICAN+HORROR+STORY

They hated Coven with a vengeance. Sigh. I love them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/31/ryan-murphy-american-horror-story-connected/

EW interviews Ryan Murphy, who says that Twisty and Edward will return.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Season 4 is connected to season 1, he says. So does that mean anything about what season 5 might be, in terms of setting, I wonder?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MadSparkle posted:

Coven was a lot more about the characters and their relationships (their, dumb, dumb relationships). 1, 2 and 4 are much more about the shock value and rolling around in genre conventions. I can understand how someone who enjoys character dramas might like 3 and not like the other seasons, although that's exactly the opposite of what I enjoy about the show.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Waffleman_ posted:

Y'know what? I hope AHS lasts as long as he hopes it will. I think it's really cool all the seasons are connected in some way, and I hope they get far enough along to showcase that.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The whole show ends with all of Jessica Lange's characters teaming up with Pepper to save the Dark Tower...

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Every season being its own thing was one of the show's strongest assets, as evidenced by the fact that so many shows like True Detective and Fargo copied it to great effect. Not sure if I really like them throwing that away in the name of canon.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Every season being its own thing was one of the show's strongest assets, as evidenced by the fact that so many shows like True Detective and Fargo copied it to great effect. Not sure if I really like them throwing that away in the name of canon.

You're crazy if you didn't think the writers had this planned from day 1.

"Hear me out. Ok so we tell them all that the seasons are completely different from each other with no overall arching story. Then we make all the seasons totally different from each other. THEN when we are half a decade in we play connect the dots and try and throw in an over arching story line that they feel like they totally missed the first time around. They are all gonna be like 'woah man I totally didn't see that coming. Isn't it so crazy that all the seasons connect? These writers are geniuses!'"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Murder House and Asylum are now on Hulu!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Crummelhorn posted:

He does not kill a single person. He even talks Lana out of killing Thredson. Kit Walker is a stand up guy.

Huh, you're right. I could have sworn he offed a couple people inside the asylum (guards or whatever) but it turns out after re-reading the season summary he just beat the poo poo out of a lot of people, but didn't actually kill them.

• Locked thread