Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Do we know how to skip past the opening five minutes of Nvidia and Publisher/Developer/Bioware, etc logo videos? Does Frostbite at least allow that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hope Bioarts does a Mass Keep Effect for Mass Effect 4.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

They better not; the further they can distance themselves from the shitshow the Reapers became the better.

And they'd call it the Citadel, not the Keep. :colbert:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Hopefully ME 4 will be so detached from the events of ME 1-3 that such a thing isn't even necessary.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

EightDeer posted:

People keep saying this, but given some of the things that modders have managed to do with XCOM 2012, I'd bet on some kind of modding capability being uncovered or forced out of the engine.
While XCom wasn't exactly the most mod-friendly of games, the engine was open enough that you could still do things like get to .ini files and what not, make changes and force the game to use the modded file. It also helps that it uses the Unreal Engine 3 and there's a lot of documentation available about it.

Frostbite 2 & 3 are more closed. When Dice first said modding wasn't going to happen with Frostbite 2, modders took that as a challenge. But the only thing they managed with Battlefield 3 after a lot of time and effort was tweak the colour grading a bit. Bioware's response when asked about modding was a "maybe...?" which translated from PR-speak to a human language is "nope!".
Realistically I'd say the best we can hope for is that Bioware leaves a developer console and some cheat codes enabled.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Drifter posted:

They better not; the further they can distance themselves from the shitshow the Reapers became the better.

And they'd call it the Citadel, not the Keep. :colbert:

It's pretty hard to avoid the boat anchor that craptacular ending retconned on the series short of a complete reboot (which I'd be all for, I like the setting without the need for some huge threat like Reapers).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just make Destroy canon and leave the Mass Relays wrecked. Bam, contact with the other aliens is lost and you can explore the galaxy away from the relays, discovering new species and going for a smaller scale.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Mass Effect is the only series where a prequel would be by far the best option. Bonus points if it's set before human first contact so there's no boring human military shootmans!
Will never happen though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gasoline posted:

Mass Effect is the only series where a prequel would be by far the best option. Bonus points if it's set before human first contact so there's no boring human military shootmans!
Will never happen though.

Only problem with this is they'd have to tell a much narrower story if they went back in time, since the outcomes of most major events are already established.

Really, they've boxed themselves in so badly on both ends that the only way to break fresh ground would be to go so far into the future the the events of ME 1-3 would be rendered totally irrelevant.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Geostomp posted:

It's pretty hard to avoid the boat anchor that craptacular ending retconned on the series short of a complete reboot (which I'd be all for, I like the setting without the need for some huge threat like Reapers).

I'd be game for that. Alternatively, I'd like them to stay as far away from Galactic Threats as possible and just give us an ME2 style "fart about in space with your homies" simulator. Follow a crew that's just doing jobs and exploring deep space for fun and profit.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I could totally see them going to the future (IF they stay in that universe) where that lovely dude is telling his kid about the Legend of the Shepard of whatever.

Just leave it as a fable lost in antiquity. So maybe it happened but no one gives a gently caress anymore. But it would also be like Bill & Ted's where the standard greeting of the age is "This is my favorite".

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Lotish posted:

I'd be game for that. Alternatively, I'd like them to stay as far away from Galactic Threats as possible and just give us an ME2 style "fart about in space with your homies" simulator. Follow a crew that's just doing jobs and exploring deep space for fun and profit.
I'd be so goddamn happy if you could just play as a Corsair, instead of a Spectre, since that would actually give you a decent reason for farting around in the entire galaxy, doing sidequests.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should have it take place during ME1, on the other side of the galaxy. Play as a turian or krogan mercenary or something. The final mission is you get shot by Shepard during a ME1 side quest.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Some Cerberus cell creates a Dark Energy bomb and detonates it around the time Shepard starts to choose colors completely destroying and remaking the universe. You play as a pseudo human trying to find what survived and what was created in this completely new existence as Space Opera God intended.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'd be so goddamn happy if you could just play as a Corsair, instead of a Spectre, since that would actually give you a decent reason for farting around in the entire galaxy, doing sidequests.

You'll play as the Geth. All of them. It'll be a Pikmin game.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A good compromise they could do is the Mass Relays being damaged instead of destroyed by the events of ME3. Travel is harder and more dangerous but still possible. The Reapers are gone but dangerous fragments remain. The Citadel is orbiting Earth, with the Crucible section inaccessible/destroyed/irrelevant. THE GETH ARE FINE BECAUSE MURDERING YOUR ROBOT SPACE BROS TO GET RID OF SPACE CTHULU IS RETARDED BIOWARE WHAT THE gently caress WERE YOU THINKGING

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

paragon1 posted:

A good compromise they could do is the Mass Relays being damaged instead of destroyed by the events of ME3. Travel is harder and more dangerous but still possible. The Reapers are gone but dangerous fragments remain. The Citadel is orbiting Earth, with the Crucible section inaccessible/destroyed/irrelevant. THE GETH ARE FINE BECAUSE MURDERING YOUR ROBOT SPACE BROS TO GET RID OF SPACE CTHULU IS RETARDED BIOWARE WHAT THE gently caress WERE YOU THINKGING

If Shepard can survive that ending as far as I'm concerned the Geth can too. He's half-Reaper at that point anyway with all the implants and poo poo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just be like DC comics and make it a different timeline. We'll call the new game's timeline Earth-Two.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

If Shepard can survive that ending as far as I'm concerned the Geth can too. He's half-Reaper at that point anyway with all the implants and poo poo.

I mean if you choose Destroy, EDI will still show up outside of the ship if she's your most used companion.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rookersh posted:

I mean if you choose Destroy, EDI will still show up outside of the ship if she's your most used companion.
Actually I think they patched that out in the EC.

I'm almost done with DAO. Don't know if I care to pick up DA2 or not. The question I pose to goons for DAI is: Templars or Circle, and why? Seems like there are major assholes on both sides.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm almost done with DAO. Don't know if I care to pick up DA2 or not. The question I pose to goons for DAI is: Templars or Circle, and why? Seems like there are major assholes on both sides.

I've been told I can play as a battlemage in DA:I so I'm going to say the mages so I don't get nerve stapled or whatever.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Circle, because if I have to choose the lesser of two evils, I'll take the one with superpowers thank you.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

No shut up this argument is more overplayed than the Bhelen Vs. Harrowmont one. Both sides are assholes written to be as stupidly evil and abusive as possible from DA2 on, inorder to justify siding with either one. Neither are worth saving, mages just happen to be unwilling most of the time. Still stupid.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I chose to abstain until Inquisition where, I deeply hope, that either side will no longer be completely staffed with assholes because Bioware can't remember what the word "sympathetic" means anymore. I'll settle for the complete dicks are at very least more clearly separated from the not-crazy people.

I chose them in DAII solely because I don't like the idea of murdering every single person of one class since, at least theoretically, even children belonged to the class marked for cleansing.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, they're an egregious and ham-handed attempt at shades of grey that are really hard to take seriously after DA2. It was honestly interesting in DA1 because there was still a lot of ground for mage and templar cooperation, like Irving and Greagoir, rather than the unstoppable idiot-train that was the conflict in the sequel.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dolash posted:

Yeah, they're an egregious and ham-handed attempt at shades of grey that are really hard to take seriously after DA2. It was honestly interesting in DA1 because there was still a lot of ground for mage and templar cooperation, like Irving and Greagoir, rather than the unstoppable idiot-train that was the conflict in the sequel.

We can only hope that things have improved at least a little since even Gaider admitted he overdid the blood magic and demon train specifically to take sympathy for the mages since Templars come off as worse by default without it.

Since this game does note depend on things ending as badly as possible, I hold out some hope for better characterization. The people in the last books weren't complete jackasses waiting to backstab each other on a whim, so that could mean something.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

KittyEmpress posted:

No shut up this argument is more overplayed than the Bhelen Vs. Harrowmont one. Both sides are assholes written to be as stupidly evil and abusive as possible from DA2 on, inorder to justify siding with either one. Neither are worth saving, mages just happen to be unwilling most of the time. Still stupid.
Sorry man, I picked up DAO like a week ago and have no familiarity with the series. Everyone says DA2 is a shitshow so I don't know if I want to subject myself to it when I have other games to play.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sorry man, I picked up DAO like a week ago and have no familiarity with the series. Everyone says DA2 is a shitshow so I don't know if I want to subject myself to it when I have other games to play.

Just know that everyone in Kirkwall is a screw-up, psychopath, or lunatic waiting to happen (especially your entire party outside Varric, Aveline, and Surviving Sibling). Everything will always turn out as badly as possible no matter what you do because the writers couldn't come up with a better way to end with a huge riot and Hawke is a miserable failure of a protagonist. There's a very good reason everybody hates that game's story.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Drifter posted:

I could totally see them going to the future (IF they stay in that universe) where that lovely dude is telling his kid about the Legend of the Shepard of whatever.

Just leave it as a fable lost in antiquity. So maybe it happened but no one gives a gently caress anymore. But it would also be like Bill & Ted's where the standard greeting of the age is "This is my favorite".

I always thought it would be great if they just did some meta-fuckery and had each ending happen simultaneously, so you have regular dudes hanging out next to synthetics, parts of the galaxy essentially blacked out due to overloading the relays, and reconstruction being aided by a fleet of reapers that may or may not be controlled by the overShepard.

I mean, your choices won't matter anyway, might as well go the Daggerfall route and have fun with it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah the trick to making things morally ambiguous is to, y'know, appeal to the player's emotions from both sides so that the choice actually gets hard. Not to set saturday morning cartoon level villains against a bunch of morons who turn into misshapen murder beasts at the drop of a hat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I went with the templars in DA2 because they just wanted to kill mages while the mages wound up killing everybody and then whining about it

they were both assholes and monsters and completely unlikable but at least the templars had an end goal

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Once again, gently caress the chantry, burn the church, commit blood magic sacrifices of survivors on the ashes.

Seriously, who sides with the church? Sanctimonious bastards.

E:Abhorrent tautology removed

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 31, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I always thought it would be great if they just did some meta-fuckery and had each ending happen simultaneously, so you have regular dudes hanging out next to synthetics, parts of the galaxy essentially blacked out due to overloading the relays, and reconstruction being aided by a fleet of reapers that may or may not be controlled by the overShepard.

I mean, your choices won't matter anyway, might as well go the Daggerfall route and have fun with it.

Ah, the Deus Ex 2 approach.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Once again, gently caress the chantry, burn the church, commit blood magic sacrifices of survivors on the ashes.

Seriously, who sides with the church? Sanctimonious holier than thou bastards.

Hey now, the profanity I can abide, but you watch your tautologies young man!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Skippy McPants posted:

Hey now, the profanity I can abide, but you watch your tautologies young man!

I got excited :(

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Geostomp posted:

Just know that everyone in Kirkwall is a screw-up, psychopath, or lunatic waiting to happen (especially your entire party outside Varric, Aveline, and Surviving Sibling). Everything will always turn out as badly as possible no matter what you do because the writers couldn't come up with a better way to end with a huge riot and Hawke is a miserable failure of a protagonist. There's a very good reason everybody hates that game's story.

The main failure of DA2 is that you couldn't join the Arishok in his holy sundering of Kirkwall.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Seriously, who sides with the church? Sanctimonious bastards.

E:Abhorrent tautology removed

The templars aren't the Chantry, and by Inquisition aren't really listening to the Chantry at all because they can get red lyrium thanks to feed their addiction now.

Thanks a lot Hawke!

Seriously though if I can't implement my buddy system idea for templars and mages in Inquisition I'll be sorely disappointed.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Drifter posted:

I was playing on hard before I gave up and the combat was the best part. It was endless walking to nowhere and super slow and disjointed conversations that did me in. Also, gently caress the Mako. That poo poo was fun literally one time - the first time.
I put Mass Effect aside for now to finish DA2 before Inquisition comes out, but agree on the Mako.

The only joy I derive from it now is imagining how much my party is puking their guts out every time I have to climb a loving mountain with it. They probably have to power-wash and Febreeze the poo poo out of the interior after every mission.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still enjoy driving the Mako around and it would have been great in ME3 or anywhere if they put in actual levels instead of randomly generated maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

AnimeJune posted:

I put Mass Effect aside for now to finish DA2 before Inquisition comes out, but agree on the Mako.

The only joy I derive from it now is imagining how much my party is puking their guts out every time I have to climb a loving mountain with it. They probably have to power-wash and Febreeze the poo poo out of the interior after every mission.

Barrel rolling down mountains was my sheps favorite past time. I know Garrus and Tali appreciated the constitution endurance training.

• Locked thread