Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There's just SO MUCH to talk about what a loving weird lunatic he was.

It's kind of why I want to read this book. There has to be so much that I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Fowl posted:

It's kind of why I want to read this book. There has to be so much that I don't know.

Yea I just got it on Kindle and I know it's gonna be a great read, there are so many ways that he wasn't a straight up like, actual crazy misogynist but just a weird dude with hosed up views of how things work so it's way more fun to read about.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm not really part of that movement but I've been following it since it started, and that first segment was pretty bad. It bought into the idea that it started as an excuse to harass women rather than people being upset at a part of journalism that's lovely. I'd expect Colbert's team of all people to maybe hit on that rather than basement dwelling nerds harassing women, but I guess not. Kind of disappointing.

And hearing Anita's name just made me turn the TV off.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 30, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Well I knew that it was only a matter of time before Stewart, Colbert, or Oliver would talk about The Issue That Will Not loving Die And Whose Name Shall Never Pass My Lips. I guess Colbert was best suited for that job because he's out in two months anyway, and he's already hated by a lot of Tumblr teens, so why not add the other side of the close-minded gamut to people who think that he should be cancelled?

All the same, I'd still like to die, or at least take refuge in a fallout shelter with no wifi until everyone shuts the holy hell up about video games. That's what this is all about, and it's a symptom of a larger problem, not the "next generation of the culture wars" as some self-righteous fuckwad on Gawker Media called it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm not really part of that movement but I've been following it since it started, and that first segment was pretty bad. It bought into the idea that it started as an excuse to harass women rather than people being upset at a part of journalism that's lovely. I'd expect Colbert's team of all people to maybe hit on that rather than basement dwelling nerds harassing women, but I guess not. Kind of disappointing.

It was literally started by a sad ex making things up, it was never about journalism, that's why it was the punchline.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

It bought into the idea that it started as an excuse to harass women rather than people being upset at a part of journalism that's lovely.
I posted that this stupid issue is the symptom of a larger disease. The bolded part is not the symptom.

That's all I'm going to say about this. In the meantime I guess Aasif Mandvi's show got canned so he goes back in the OP. Or not. It's two more months, who cares about anything.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
That Koch bit is why Stewart will never leave. Once you get creative control you never give it up.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It was literally started by a sad ex making things up, it was never about journalism, that's why it was the punchline.

It was the Streisand Effect - whether it was true or not, discussion of that accusation being censored nearly everywhere made sure people would pay attention to it, which uncovered other things.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
What other things? Corruption in gaming journalism has been an open secret for a long time.

The only new thing Gamergate has brought is organized harassment of women in the gaming industry and media.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

How does a princess saving herself make for a video game?

Does she just...... run out of the castle and then it's over?

Well sure. I mean, Ico is already almost that game.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tarezax posted:

What other things? Corruption in gaming journalism has been an open secret for a long time.

The only new thing Gamergate has brought is organized harassment of women in the gaming industry and media.
And honestly if I was told to write a good review for a lovely game for a ton of money, I would do it. Its all marketing bullshit

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tarezax posted:

Hell, one of their favorite targets put out an annoted list of what's actually wrong.

Which they promptly decided was a false flag distraction :tinfoil:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

Hell, one of their favorite targets put out an annoted list of what's actually wrong.

Which they promptly decided was a false flag distraction :tinfoil:

Thats a p good list.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Justin_Brett posted:

Whoa, a true believer. Never thought we'd see one of those here of all places.

Tarezax posted:

And honestly, doesn't modern journalism have enough problems without people associating it with "game journalists"?

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 30, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Park is the best crazy person in a long time. She's right in the meaty part of the curve between 'hilarious and stupid' and 'actually a little dangerous'.
Not to give her any more attention, but I'm so glad I stopped defending this woman.

Sadly, she was a guest speaker at some event at my campus. :negative:

radlum
May 13, 2013
I like that Colbert gave games journalism the respect it deserves, by comparing it to Hollywood journalism. Also, I may not always agree with Sarkeesian but she came off as very reasonable in her interview and I liked that "I'm well liked" comment, she must have been laughing about that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

All the other kinds of enthusiast "journalism," whether that's boats or motorcycles or whatever, pretty much all have these exact same issues and they seem to be able to operate relatively fine and occasionally deal with these issues without their fans being noticed for harassing and stalking women on an international scale so maybe just, you know, not harass and stalk women or support a useless twitter "movement" that does. Christ I hate that I like video games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I wonder how well this would have gone over if Michael Che was still on TDS. I think Jessica would have had some choice words for him.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/29/micheal-che-street-harassment-video_n_6069936.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000046

Kibayasu posted:

All the other kinds of enthusiast "journalism," whether that's boats or motorcycles or whatever, pretty much all have these exact same issues and they seem to be able to operate relatively fine and occasionally deal with these issues without their fans being noticed for harassing and stalking women on an international scale so maybe just, you know, not harass and stalk women or support a useless twitter "movement" that does. Christ I hate that I like video games.

Video games are not to blame here, it's the self-identified human-garbage "gamers."

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

raditts posted:

Whoa, a true believer. Never thought we'd see one of those here of all places.

Don't worry, all you have to do to find more of them is go to GBS.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

VirtualStranger posted:

Don't worry, all you have to do to find more of them is go to GBS.
That would involve actually going to GBS, though. Tis a wretched hive of scum and irony.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I thought that's what you were supposed to do to crazy people, though?

I need to reevaluate my state of mind, don't I?

I've seen you poo poo-post casual misogyny and casual racism in Daily/Colbert threads for loving years. You're a supremely unfunny and unlikable person and you should drat well reevaluate your state of mind. gently caress off.

e: Some gamergators reacting to Colbert as it aired.

How are u fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 30, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

raditts posted:

I wonder how well this would have gone over if Michael Che was still on TDS. I think Jessica would have had some choice words for him.
"Hi, I'm Jessica. I work here too."

radlum
May 13, 2013

raditts posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/29/micheal-che-street-harassment-video_n_6069936.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000046

Video games are not to blame here, it's the self-identified human-garbage "gamers."

How can Che miss the point of the video? Specially when something similar was made on TDS. I mean, this is pretty much as if Jason Jones revealed that he actually thinks global warming is not a fact or if Sam Bee said that she enjoys Fox News and thinks that they are fair and balanced.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just caught up on TDS, Danny Trejo is still the best :allears:.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

radlum posted:

How can Che miss the point of the video? Specially when something similar was made on TDS. I mean, this is pretty much as if Jason Jones revealed that he actually thinks global warming is not a fact or if Sam Bee said that she enjoys Fox News and thinks that they are fair and balanced.

Che was a TDS employee for like 3 months and people we thought were gone for ages still are, it doesn't seem to be a very tight knit group whatsoever. Like do you think Al Madrigal and Che ever met? I doubt it.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 31, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IRQ posted:

Che was a TDS employee for like 3 months and people we thought were gone for ages still are, it doesn't seem to be a very tight knit group whatsoever. Like do you think Al Madrigal and Che ever met? I doubt it.

John Oliver talks about hanging out coworkers all the time on the Bugle.

radlum
May 13, 2013
It's less of a "hanging out with the correspondents" thing and more of a "knowing the kind of issue that the show would tackle".

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Wow, huge slam on L-Dog out of nowhere. Rude. :colbert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Keep Austin Weird? More like keep Austin white and insufferable.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Man, 9 years. It seems like just last year Steven was having a gravitas off.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Guys, I wish a party that vocally hates sweeping segments of the country wasn't poised to take control of the Senate.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Tarezax posted:

Well, as an example, since Zoe wasn't really well-known at the point of the allegations, people looked into her and found that she had negatively affected a charity that was meant for getting women into gaming, claiming it wanted women to work for free and that it was transphobic and exploitative. This naturally caused a lot of people to back out of funding, and not want to associate with the charity. They tried to get in contact with Zoe herself and a couple journalists, but no statement or interview they gave made it to an article. Not even Kotaku published anything about it, and a writer for that contacted them.

The fact one of the people her ex said she had relations with was a judge for an award her game won also aroused curiosity, and through various sources they found out that Fez, another game that won, had 3 people from the company that made it on the judging panel that year, as well as 5 people who invested in it. One of them was even the Chair of the Jury.

So yeah I think there's stuff in all this worth talking about besides gamers being whiny, white, straight males who hate women.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Justin_Brett posted:

Well, as an example, since Zoe wasn't really well-known at the point of the allegations, people looked into her and found that she had negatively affected a charity that was meant for getting women into gaming, claiming it wanted women to work for free and that it was transphobic and exploitative. This naturally caused a lot of people to back out of funding, and not want to associate with the charity. They tried to get in contact with Zoe herself and a couple journalists, but no statement or interview they gave made it to an article. Not even Kotaku published anything about it, and a writer for that contacted them.

The fact one of the people her ex said she had relations with was a judge for an award her game won also aroused curiosity, and through various sources they found out that Fez, another game that won, had 3 people from the company that made it on the judging panel that year, as well as 5 people who invested in it. One of them was even the Chair of the Jury.

So yeah I think there's stuff in all this worth talking about besides gamers being whiny, white, straight males who hate women.

None of those things are true.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ahahahahaha what a sad bunch of lunatics.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tarezax posted:

Ahahahahaha what a sad bunch of lunatics.

A lot of them are just useful idiots, to be fair, but the core is loving crazy and more than a bit frightening. The great irony is they're only galvanizing the feminist cause and demonstrating how important it is to change the industry, if the current standards attract these weird, miserable shitheads.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
See this is what happens when you stop putting nerds in lockers.

We put them there for a reason people. :mad:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Also, loving :laffo: at the great Investigative Games Journalism about Fez, the game that won indie circlejerk awards for several years before it was released or even completed.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Justin_Brett posted:

Hey everyone, get a load of this guy! Wakka wakka wakka!

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
A slightly redeeming part about Gamergate is watching them stray out of their weird circle jerk universes and have to face the reality that everyone either hates them or doesn't give a poo poo about their absurd fig leaf of a cause.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Also that even people who complain about feminists and are otherwise borderline sexist themselves read about it and go "yep, that's misogyny."

• Locked thread