Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I was so hyped when I saw a Paranoia KS, but yeah, it's raising all the same red flags for me that the rest of you are seeing. The tone is way off -- bitter sarcasm instead of comedy, and LOOK LOOK, LOOK HOW RIGHT WE WERE, like... were you trying to make actual predictions? Because no you weren't, where the gently caress is that rant coming from. I don't know what the gently caress the cards are for, or how they're making gameplay in any way better. In fact, at first glance I'm pretty sure they're making it worse. Strictly defined equipment with printed rules so that they work predictably? Really, guys? And finally, I just plain don't like that all three "stretch goals" really meant "we'll add these to the add-on section, congratulations, you have now unlocked the ability to give us more money if you want them".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So there's this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heavygearblitz/heavy-gear-blitz-war-for-terra-nova-starter-set?ref=category

Is Heavy Gear Blitz a good game? Are these guys known for making good rules? Should I bother getting into this game?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

signalnoise posted:

So there's this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heavygearblitz/heavy-gear-blitz-war-for-terra-nova-starter-set?ref=category

Is Heavy Gear Blitz a good game? Are these guys known for making good rules? Should I bother getting into this game?

I've heard pretty good things about it, and they just came out (or are still working on?) the new edition of the rules. From what I've read of the current rules the game seems pretty legit, and a very viable alternative in style to other miniature games.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Hey TG, its been a while. I'm kickstarting my anime as balls mecha game, Battle Century G.

It has just enough tactical complexity to keep you on your toes every turn and make you think about your build, but flows pretty fast and you don't need more than one roll per turn. It is a game engineered to create badass action scenes that go back and forth with big dramatic speeches and team-up synchronized attacks. The rules are universal and effects-based so they cover anything between Gundam and Gurren Lagann, plus many other influences that don't even start with the letter G. Perhaps the most important of which is Super Robot Wars.

I find it pretty difficult to summarize because it does so much with so little. Fortunately the project page is pretty descriptive and there's a preview of the game linked, conveniently for me. :v:

I'll stick around this thread in case you've got questions.

All the guys in the Japanese RPG club I go to are huge mecha fans and they haven`t really been satisfied with any of the mecha RPGs available over here so I can`t wait to try this out with them. You don`t mind if I translate some of the basics into Japanese and pass it around within the club do you?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

signalnoise posted:

I've only played once, but I really enjoyed what I tried of it, so I'm backing that kickstarter to get two decent size starter armies to demo with.

It's quite rules-y in terms of the amount of things you can do, but the rulebook used to explain using neat flowcharts the stages of each action which I thought was a very good idea.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

S.J. posted:

I've heard pretty good things about it, and they just came out (or are still working on?) the new edition of the rules. From what I've read of the current rules the game seems pretty legit, and a very viable alternative in style to other miniature games.

Lightning Strike was a very good set of space combat rules with mecha, and they've kept working on the system, so this is probably a very playable set.

I'm tempted to pledge a buck to nag them about JC/LS in the comments, but nobody else seems to want that system/setting to continue.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

And finally, I just plain don't like that all three "stretch goals" really meant "we'll add these to the add-on section, congratulations, you have now unlocked the ability to give us more money if you want them".

Either they've reworded it or it's been like that all along, but all the stretch goals are added to the boxset. Only thing you have to kick extra for so far if you're at £30 is the Form Pack.

E: OR I could actually read the goddamn update which says it's an addon. Good god what a goddamn clusterfuck.

ElNarez fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 28, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Getsuya posted:

All the guys in the Japanese RPG club I go to are huge mecha fans and they haven`t really been satisfied with any of the mecha RPGs available over here so I can`t wait to try this out with them. You don`t mind if I translate some of the basics into Japanese and pass it around within the club do you?

Not a problem at all! Many of the rules/powers/etc are written around western perceptions of japanese conventions, so I'd be very interested to hear what they think.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
There's a lot of bitterness on Dakkadakka about the Heavy Gear kickstarter. I don't know the truth of it, but there seem to be a lot of angry internet men talking about rules problems, sidelined playtesters, and plotline changes that render existing units or factions useless.

I'd suggest doing a little research before spending the money.

EDIT: Lightning Strike always did look cool. It was one of my "games that got away" - I never had money when it was on sale in my area, and then it vanished entirely. It's extremely Gundam, with an interesting mix of hard SF and anime.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Loxbourne posted:

EDIT: Lightning Strike always did look cool. It was one of my "games that got away" - I never had money when it was on sale in my area, and then it vanished entirely. It's extremely Gundam, with an interesting mix of hard SF and anime.

Good news !

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1004/Lightning-Strike-Rulebook-2nd-Edition?it=1

Six bucks each for the 2e rules and companion as PDFs. You can always just geek out over the artwork if you don't have another mechagamer locally.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Didn't see anyone post this, so here:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bullypulpitgames/night-witches

That's Jason Morningstar's next game, a PbtA game about the WW2 all-female Russian bomber unit that flew WW1 biplanes into combat against the Germans. I'm pretty excited in seeing what this ends up as, since I really like Fiasco/Durance, PbtA and WW2 stuff. Also, the art is gorgeous.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That concept is amazing and I guess I'm gonna have to back that. Alqays thought the various night-time raiders of the Eastern Front were neat and the Night Withes one of the coolest.

My inner plane :spergin: wants to point out though the Po-2 is from the late 20s though, not WW1. Still horribly antiquated by the time of WW2 though. Its top speed was less than 100mph!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That concept is amazing and I guess I'm gonna have to back that. Alqays thought the various night-time raiders of the Eastern Front were neat and the Night Withes one of the coolest.

My inner plane :spergin: wants to point out though the Po-2 is from the late 20s though, not WW1. Still horribly antiquated by the time of WW2 though. Its top speed was less than 100mph!

Which is exactly what made it so effective. At that speed, German monoplane interceptors would stall and fall right out of the sky. And at night it's hard to hit faraway 3D moving targets from the ground, especially quiet ones like the Po-2.

This is right up my alley and I am so backing this!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Loxbourne posted:

There's a lot of bitterness on Dakkadakka about the Heavy Gear kickstarter. I don't know the truth of it, but there seem to be a lot of angry internet men talking about rules problems, sidelined playtesters, and plotline changes that render existing units or factions useless.

I'd suggest doing a little research before spending the money.

Jovian has some really odd hard SF stuff in it. Me and my friend once figured out that the basic mech has EXACTLY the right amount of resources on board for you to make a journey from Earth to Mars using the slingshot method.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, my. Sharing this with a warplanes fan I know.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Didn't see anyone post this, so here:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bullypulpitgames/night-witches

That's Jason Morningstar's next game, a PbtA game about the WW2 all-female Russian bomber unit that flew WW1 biplanes into combat against the Germans. I'm pretty excited in seeing what this ends up as, since I really like Fiasco/Durance, PbtA and WW2 stuff. Also, the art is gorgeous.

Yes! Just saw this and it looks fantastic.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
The guy who made Lifeboat (not lifeboats) is putting out a sequel called Desert Island.

Lifeboat is one of the most thematic "everyone is a traitor" games I've played. In both games each player is given a player to hate, who they score points in they don't make it to rescue, and a player they love, who scores them points if they survive to rescue. You put some people in increasingly dangerous situations and hope they starve to death then get in fights over bananas.

I played it while it was near the end of development at Gencon and thought it was awesome.

Also one of the stretch goals is banana tokens

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ThaShaneTrain posted:

The guy who made Lifeboat (not lifeboats) is putting out a sequel called Desert Island.

Lifeboat is one of the most thematic "everyone is a traitor" games I've played. In both games each player is given a player to hate, who they score points in they don't make it to rescue, and a player they love, who scores them points if they survive to rescue. You put some people in increasingly dangerous situations and hope they starve to death then get in fights over bananas.

I played it while it was near the end of development at Gencon and thought it was awesome.

Also one of the stretch goals is banana tokens

This sounds extremely my poo poo, backed at the level to get it and lifeboat and all that jazz, my group loves gently caress your friends games and ones with secret fuckers are the best kind.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Puppetland: The Storytelling RPG of Grim Make-Believe is now on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/puppetland-the-storytelling-rpg-of-grim-make-belie

This was a big storytelling game in the 1990s and written by John Scott Tynes, one of the authors of Delta Green. The new version is pretty similar to the old one from what I understand and it involves some interesting concepts like games taking exactly one hour.

quote:

Puppetland is a diceless tabletop RPG in which the players take the roles of puppets in a fairy-tale paradise gone bloodily wrong. It's Punch & Judy taken to its logical extreme: Punch has killed the Maker of all puppets and transformed peaceful, magical Puppetland into his personal nightmare realm.

Created by John Scott Tynes — that's me — Puppetland trailblazed the Indie RPG movement back in 1995 when I first published it on my website. It wasn't just diceless; Puppetland sidestepped most notions of RPG game mechanics and went straight for the jugular of pure collaborative narrativism. It was reprinted in the British games magazine Arcane in 1997 and then expanded and reprinted by James Wallis's game company Hogshead in 1999.

It's now been out of print for about a decade. Punch & Judy and the Nutcrackers and Punch's Boys have been moldering, dusty and forgotten, in a shadowy attic.

It's time to bring them back to hideous life!

High end rewards include puppets and customized copies of the book.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

clockworkjoe posted:

Puppetland: The Storytelling RPG of Grim Make-Believe is now on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/puppetland-the-storytelling-rpg-of-grim-make-belie

This was a big storytelling game in the 1990s and written by John Scott Tynes, one of the authors of Delta Green. The new version is pretty similar to the old one from what I understand and it involves some interesting concepts like games taking exactly one hour.

Everyone who backs this should be required to also buy this:
http://www.bromart.com/plucker.html

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I was just thinking of Puppetland a few days ago. I wonder if the remake will keep the original's plot twists and truths behind the setting - the wording of the Kickstarter announcement suggests they won't.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm not getting down on the Kickstarter or anyone who likes it, but Puppetland is not really a game. I don't mean this in a "NOT AN RPG" sense, just that there are no game mechanics other than a stopwatch and a drawing. You play mother-may-I with your Puppet Master after choosing some arbitrary traits from a bizarre class-based system. At some point (also pretty much determined by the Puppet Master) your puppet falls dead from doing bad things. There is a ton of thematic advice and the setting is engaging as hell.

The reason I mention this is: it's not very promising that the developer has said it "doesn't need a rules overhaul." Puppetland would be an awesome game with mechanics that encourage the type of play he's describing. Unfortunately, it looks like we're just getting a reprint with new art, GM advice, and more metaplot.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Zurui posted:

I'm not getting down on the Kickstarter or anyone who likes it, but Puppetland is not really a game. I don't mean this in a "NOT AN RPG" sense, just that there are no game mechanics other than a stopwatch and a drawing. You play mother-may-I with your Puppet Master after choosing some arbitrary traits from a bizarre class-based system. At some point (also pretty much determined by the Puppet Master) your puppet falls dead from doing bad things. There is a ton of thematic advice and the setting is engaging as hell.

The reason I mention this is: it's not very promising that the developer has said it "doesn't need a rules overhaul." Puppetland would be an awesome game with mechanics that encourage the type of play he's describing. Unfortunately, it looks like we're just getting a reprint with new art, GM advice, and more metaplot.

This kind of thing would seem to require a staggering amount of mutual trust among the members of your RPG circle, as the players seem to be just literally putting themselves in the GMs hands and allowing him or her to railroad them through a plot with the only chance involved being the GMs fickle will. That said this really fits my own personal GM style as I tend to make my games like point and click adventures where it's more important to string together clues and navigate conversations with NPCs than it is to win rolls or build powerful characters. I'll have to look a little more into it, but I'm loving the idea of telling the guys at the RPG club over here to bring their favorite anime figure and having a Puppetland game where everyone plays as figures.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hey kickers, what do you think about Strife: Legacy of the Eternals? I'm only thinking about getting it because it's so cheap ($15). I'm not really sure there's much content in here otherwise.

Also does anyone have opinions on Omen: A Reign of War? I'll probably get this one when I get the 48h reminder since it does seem to pack some nice content for the price ($17, the $25 deluxe version even comes with 20 metal coins! Pretty neat) and it seems to have a bunch of favorable reviews around the net.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Finally got Myth by Mercs, and I'm impressed by the sheer amount of stuff in the box (weighed more than 7kg). The minis look cool and have a nice style.

Too bad I read the rulebook about a year ago and it read awkwardly, and by now the gaming group I wanted to play it with doesn't even exist anymore, so I guess I'm going to sell it. Did anyone actually play it?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Luebbi posted:

Finally got Myth by Mercs, and I'm impressed by the sheer amount of stuff in the box (weighed more than 7kg). The minis look cool and have a nice style.

Too bad I read the rulebook about a year ago and it read awkwardly, and by now the gaming group I wanted to play it with doesn't even exist anymore, so I guess I'm going to sell it. Did anyone actually play it?

I thought they fixed the rulebook and put it up online? Or I could be misremembering.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Hey Inverse World Accelerated arrived! Quality looks great.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Got my Alhambra and Kingdom Builder big boxes in today. They look like they're pretty nice quality but didn't dig into them much. They are, however, big as advertised.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Hey Inverse World Accelerated arrived! Quality looks great.

I'm still waiting on my written-in copy of the base book. :argh:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So did Ehdrigohr jist sort of fall off the side of the planet? Allen Turner last posted about it back in December. I got my book but never received any of the stretch goal supplemental material.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
If you backed Spirit of 77, check your email, links to the pledge managers went out today.

I've seriously gotta reccomend Backerkit to anyone doing a complex kickstarter. It's a little pricey ($300 +1%) but solves so many problems.
It imports all the data from kickstarter, after you set everything up it will automatically send out invites to all your backers with just a single click.
It collects info like shipping addresses automatically, you can even tell it which items require shipping addresses. It also allows you ask some complex survey questions, and tailor the questions to individual products or pledge levels.
It has a nice store-like page for backers to add-on items to their pledge (we've already raised an extra $150 through add-ons).
It allows pre-orders for people who didn't get in on the initial kickstarter. It even lets you price pre-orders separately.
It even allows dropped pledges to re-claim and pay for their pledge.

It's probably too expensive for most smaller kickstarters, but well worth it for medium and larger.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Tiny Epic Kingdoms is really impressive.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Trouble in the Call of Catthulhu Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mrjoel/call-of-catthulhu-deluxe/posts/1033509

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

S.J. posted:

I thought they fixed the rulebook and put it up online? Or I could be misremembering.

They did. They've also decided that this is really a "living" product with MMO-style ongoing support in the form of "patches" and periodic (free) additional downloadable content. Which is unfortunately a concept that's a little trickier to implement with a physical, minis-based boardgame. But hey, free support is free support.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bucnasti posted:

If you backed Spirit of 77, check your email, links to the pledge managers went out today.

I've seriously gotta reccomend Backerkit to anyone doing a complex kickstarter. It's a little pricey ($300 +1%) but solves so many problems.
It imports all the data from kickstarter, after you set everything up it will automatically send out invites to all your backers with just a single click.
It collects info like shipping addresses automatically, you can even tell it which items require shipping addresses. It also allows you ask some complex survey questions, and tailor the questions to individual products or pledge levels.
It has a nice store-like page for backers to add-on items to their pledge (we've already raised an extra $150 through add-ons).
It allows pre-orders for people who didn't get in on the initial kickstarter. It even lets you price pre-orders separately.
It even allows dropped pledges to re-claim and pay for their pledge.

It's probably too expensive for most smaller kickstarters, but well worth it for medium and larger.

I've backed projects that use backer kit and it seems like every single one of them runs into some kind of problem with it. Is it hard to set up? Complex?

To be fair they always say backer kit works to resolve but it kind of makes me wonder.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Doctor Zero posted:

I've backed projects that use backer kit and it seems like every single one of them runs into some kind of problem with it. Is it hard to set up? Complex?

To be fair they always say backer kit works to resolve but it kind of makes me wonder.

There are a lot of options, and some of them are not available until after the kickstarter has completed, and then some more are not available until after you've sent out your surveys. I could see people missing stuff, and it's not that it isn't well documented, it's just that you don't know what questions to ask. It has solutions to problems you didn't know you were going to have.
But their Customer service seems real good, they did a pre-launch review for us while we were waiting on the money to clear, and then did a final review when we were ready to launch.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think any of the Kickstarters I've pledged to, that have used Backerkit, have had any noteworthy issues with it. Fair lot of clicking through though. I can't imagine trying to run a complex KS with multiple add-ons without something like it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm still waiting on my written-in copy of the base book. :argh:

Yeah, same here.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've backed projects that have used BackerKit, Fundafull and Pledgemanager.com and they're all pretty similar at the user end, and I don't recall any problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
What I don't understand is why Kickstarter hasn't implemented any of the functionality these sites are offering. Or actual site support for things like stretch goals and addons. I mean, I suppose they may not actually want stretch goals or addons to be part of the Kickstarter experience but you'd think they'd make them against terms of service in that case.

I love the concept of Kickstarter and I think they offer a better user experience than Indiegogo, which is the only other similar crowdfunding site I've used, but it could be a hell of a lot better.

• Locked thread