Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

Also holy poo poo that object track is the worst thing I've ever seen. I made stupid internet poo poo in my late teens that looks better than that

The weird tracking, piled on top of the floating-pixels transformation, really serves to make that stuff read directly as a digital effect. It isn't about a toy turning into a gun, lab coat is giddy that his pony cartoon was able to turn into a video game weapon.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

zVxTeflon posted:

why is there a Twinkie growing out of this guys finger?
I think he's wearing a donut like a ring. For some reason.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's about the only complaint I had with T4. The way Galvatron and the human-made transformers transform have no weight to it. Like the whole break down the re-form is a cool idea but when its literally a bunch of floating polygons it looks kinda stupid. If the car "shattered" as it changed shaped to give it this sense that the transformation is forced and painful I could be a lot more forgiving of some of the shoddy effect tracking.

That's the point. The robots have always been CGI, but there was an aesthetic to it. As I've always said, they look like sentient explosions in the best possible way.

Like, this poo poo is beautiful. I want that as a sculpture. Not an action figure - I mean full size, in the town square.

What the 'knockoff' transformers show is that this chunky, difficult, mechanical transformation is the soul of the creatures. Even if it was CGI, it refers to real, physical work.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Robot Hobo posted:

I think he's wearing a donut like a ring. For some reason.
It changes colour randomly there. Looks like a flesh donut for a while.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Arquinsiel posted:

It changes colour randomly there. Looks like a flesh donut for a while.

He's hooked a dohnut over his fingers to eat while working and its glazed so it's reflecting the colours around it. In the film itself that scene looks fine, its slowed down and singled out in the gif so of course it's flaws stand out.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's the point. The robots have always been CGI, but there was an aesthetic to it. As I've always said, they look like sentient explosions in the best possible way.

Like, this poo poo is beautiful. I want that as a sculpture. Not an action figure - I mean full size, in the town square.

What the 'knockoff' transformers show is that this chunky, difficult, mechanical transformation is the soul of the creatures. Even if it was CGI, it refers to real, physical work.
The transformations in the first movie were probably the most impressive and memorable thing about it, because it was showing you something you'd never seen before (well, except in those car commercials) - one object changing into another before your very eyes, the hard way, not just by morphing. You could follow a part of the car through the process until it ended up as part of the robot, and back again, and it was a genuinely remarkable effect.

Then in TF2 Bay decided for whatever reason that was old-hat and boring, so the transformations became a whirl of random pieces that was over in just a few frames. The pixelation transformations of the human-made robots in TF4 are that taken to the extreme. Artistry and hard work is replaced by a quick and simple shortcut - maybe it's a metaphor or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Transformations are still just as complex but they happen faster. I don't think they were all slow and jaw dropping in the first film either. Also in the second film there's Devastator coming together which is probably the most complex and detailed transformation of all of the films.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Sire Oblivion posted:

The Transformations are still just as complex but they happen faster. I don't think they were all slow and jaw dropping in the first film either. Also in the second film there's Devastator coming together which is probably the most complex and detailed transformation of all of the films.

Yeah but it also had big metal balls and that's why we can't have nice things.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Sire Oblivion posted:

Devastator was far too much detail for what amounted to a brief and stupid joke. The character itself was so large and complex it had to be rendered on multiple machines in which more than two overheated and fried. All that work for a mess of moving of moving parts that culminates as a testicle joke.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FrostedButts posted:

Devastator was far too much detail for what amounted to a brief and stupid joke. The character itself was so large and complex it had to be rendered on multiple machines in which more than two overheated and fried. All that work for a mess of moving of moving parts that culminates as a testicle joke.

Are we sure any goon wasn't involved with making this?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

FrostedButts posted:

That makes it even better, imo. Actual expensive computers were harmed to show you these robot balls.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
My list of favorite transformations. I mostly like the relatively slow ones where the camera stays pretty static and you can see where the parts go.

Transformers:
* Barricade into robot in front of Sam
* Bumblebee into car after introducing himself to Sam & Mikaela ("Any more questions?")
* Ratchet into robot when the Autobots arrive (he's the easiest to see besides Optimus, and I love the slow spin-and-click at the end)
* Autobots into vehicles after encountering Sector 7
* Jazz and then Brawl into robot in the city battle

Most of the transformations in the first movie were special because like what was said before we had never seen anything like it so they were all a treat.

ROTF:
* Optimus into robot and back when jumping out of the plane
* Bumblebee into car after talking to Sam after Prime's death ("We've gotta stick together!")
* Powered-up Optimus (just because it's cool and the music makes it better)

DOTM:
* Bumblebee into robot and back to catch Sam on the freeway (yeah because it's cool and I'm totally glad I didn't spoil myself with the commercials showing it)
* Bumblebee into robot at the end

AOE:
* Lockdown into car after killing what's-his-name (can't see it that well, but I love the sound effects and the engine revving at the end)
* Optimus into truck after dropping Cade and friends off at the old gas station
* Bumblebee into robot at KSI showroom
* Dinobots into dinosaurs for the first time

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If you are wondering what a Transformers movie looks like without Bay, wonder no more as he passed on TF5 in favor of something closer to his heart and the heart of goons: a Benghazi movie.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cant wait to see who plays vilerat

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Woah.
Seriously, is this all off the cuff, or have you filled tomes with your interpretation of movies?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FrostedButts posted:

Rendering on multiple machines is industry standard, not to mention that rendering out Shockwave's huge worm eating up Chicago took longer to render than any previous project.

Snowman_McK posted:

Woah.
Seriously, is this all off the cuff, or have you filled tomes with your interpretation of movies?

What have you done.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Snowman_McK posted:

Woah.

Do you not know SMG? He is trust and justice and is the real meaning behind movies. Believe and trust him.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

SMG is CineD.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
More than meets the eye

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Bugblatter posted:

SMG is CineD.

Nope, not at all.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

A bit late but I saw Age of Extinction this week and I know I am probably influenced by Terry's and other people 's reading in this. But when Optimus went Honor till the end while killing Lockdown I just went. :stare:

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Zedd posted:

A bit late but I saw Age of Extinction this week and I know I am probably influenced by Terry's and other people 's reading in this. But when Optimus went Honor till the end while killing Lockdown I just went. :stare:

More than his vow to protect the Earth after allowing giant, destructive Dinobots to roam free in China?

"We will protect all of humanity...except China. They don't count."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He literally shouts that they're free...to follow him...or he'll kill them.

Bay's Optimus is the best.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Just a reminder that his warcry during the battle in the city is: I'LL KILL YOU!

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
I think that "Honor 'til the end" thing is supposed to be directed at Cade, like he's saying "You saved my life, I save yours" thing.

I agree it seems like it's directed at Lockdown at first but I think to Cade it makes more sense.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I mean, the only ones of these I disagree with are probably Picture, Screenplay, and Original Song.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"For your consideration in all categories"

But no acting ones.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Big Hero 6- to my eyes at least- owed a lot to this series.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

atrus50 posted:

Big Hero 6- to my eyes at least- owed a lot to this series.

As a refutation, or is it also an intensely cynical kids' movie?

Or just in the visual sense?

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

"For your consideration in all categories"

But no acting ones.

They didn't want the Academy to laugh harder at them for including those categories.

BEST ACTOR
Mark Wahlberg

BEST ACTRESS
Nicola Peltz

BEST SUPPORTING MALE ACTOR
Peter Cullen

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE ACTOR
Bingbing Li

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think you mean Stanley Tucci.

Now that the Earth To Echo director is doing TMNT2, there's a good chance Jonathan Libesman might be doing Transformers 5 if Bay wants out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I want Neveldine and Taylor to take over the franchise.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
I'd like to see Darren Aronofsky take a whack at the franchise. He's clearly shown he can do a Transformers movie with Noah.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Given what he said about droid slavery in Star Wars, give it to David Fincher.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bay posted a 22 minute video of the post-production process behind Age of Extinction.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like that Benghazi movie is happening so Bay might not be directing Transformers 5 after all.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
Here's a nice expose on the live action shooting on Age of Extinction; included is futuristic robot Austrian camera tech.

http://michaelbay.com/2015/01/01/transformers-4-bay-on-action/

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The MSJ posted:

Apparently this mysterious bystander was in the final battle scene.

I loving KNEW I saw a guy there. Vindication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Hardon
May 31, 2006
Nobody cares.