Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Today I learned that Steve Vai really uses the monkey grip :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

darkwasthenight posted:

They only came out over summer, thinking of dropping it down to VI tuning but at the moment it's more use to me in B standard. Just wish it had a tremolo.

The Antigua looks pretty great in person, if you like that kind of thing. 2/3 bandmembers surveyed so far said it looks like dried vomitburst, the other one loved it.

I was thinking about buying one of these for awhile but the vomitburst was just too much for me and that's the only color it comes in. Maybe if it had a black or tortoise pickguard. Bought a nice non ugly bass instead.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

HollisBrown posted:

I've always heard that most foil tape doesn't work because the adhesive isn't conductive.

That got me curious, so I just hooked up a pp3 to a bit of tape with crocodile clips and I got the same reading resting the probes on the foil side as the adhesive side with my multimeter, this is just stuff I brought from a local DIY store.

tbh I'm not sure what that dumb non-test actually proved, but I've been using store-brought tape for years now with no problems.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 31, 2014

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Stewmac sells shielding tape that has conductive adhesive.
http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Shielding/Conductive_Copper_Tape.html

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

sout posted:

I've heard you're not supposed to remove all the strings at once for some reason, which you would obviously need to do when modding a guitar. How much truth is there to that statement? Presumably they must go some time during production without strings.

I've heard that too "it'll warp the neck!". As far as I can tell, it's bollocks.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Regarding the Chinese guitars, Crimson Guitars uploaded a very interesting video to youtube concerning the Chinese knock offs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saHmS_gOuvg

White Dog Eggs posted:

Those switches can gently caress off, they are confusing to install and use. I prefer using component switches. They do give you a lot of options though.

I once asked a tech I've used a few times in the past to install a DiMarzio super switch and he went mental. He made it clear, fancy wiring jobs aren't his bag. It was a confusing moment because he didn't bat an eye-lid at the sustainer job I threw at him a few months prior.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dr. Faustus posted:

O yes I learned about "rolling with the punches" in GBS long ago. It works out great!

It is a billion times better than being a blowhard who blathers on while the jokes fly above his head. Maybe you can go back to challenging people to post audio clips to prove who is really the best, that was a laugh.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 31, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That guys got a Kerry King signature head.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

It is a billion times better than being a blowhard who blathers on while the jokes fly above his head. Maybe you can go back to challenging people to post audio clips to prove who is really the best, that was a laugh.

Or it's a billion times worse being a "guitar-player" who can't "play" a "guitar" but doles out aesthetic justice in a hate thread that literally was a call-out thread from the old XBox One thread that quoted my guitar five times on the first page.

While you're at it, be a man/woman/xhe and post a clip, yourself.

I'd love to hear you play. Don't consider it a challenge, but more of a barrier to entry of having a valid opinion.

Peace and love, peace and love.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 31, 2014

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Regarding the Chinese guitars, Crimson Guitars uploaded a very interesting video to youtube concerning the Chinese knock offs.

What I took away from that video is: For $200 you can buy a guitar only slightly worse than an authentic Les Paul.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Dr. Faustus posted:

Or it's a billion times worse being a "guitar-player" who can't "play" a "guitar" but doles out aesthetic justice in a hate thread that literally was a call-out thread from the old XBox One thread that quoted my guitar five times on the first page.

I'd love to hear you play. Don't consider it a challenge, but more of a barrier to entry of having a valid opinion.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^ OUCH, ME A FAG rear end NIGGA ^^

HollisBrown posted:

What I took away from that video is: For $200 you can buy a guitar only slightly worse than an authentic Les Paul.
Not even going to look at that, because I severed a friendship with an rear end in a top hat who bought (of all things) about six Les Pauls from China to make one, hopefully, good one.
He had to buy tuners, bridges, pickups, electronics, but thought, "What the hell, for $230 shipped what do I care if it's a Chinese bootleg?"

I tried to explain to him that the money he spent on those bootlegs added up to a really nice LP, and his answer was, "If I had one of those I wouldn't take it to gigs!"

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

this is literally a "laugh at silly guitars" thread, not a "post your music so dr faustus can determine if youre worthy to talk about guitars." go take a walk outside or something, jeez

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bunky posted:

this is literally a "laugh at silly guitars" thread, not a "post your music so dr faustus can determine if youre worthy to talk about guitars." go take a walk outside or something, jeez
It's cold outside.

Also, look at page one. It's not a "laugh at silly guitars thread." Many posters have shown love for Ibanez, Seafoam/Surf Green, but there's an anomoly on Page 1 that maybe I got but you're too loving dense to figure out?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 31, 2014

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Dr. Faustus posted:

^^ OUCH, ME A FAG rear end NIGGA ^^

It sounds so hurtful when you say it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's cold outside.

Your favourite guitars look really stupid

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This is a subjective opinion and my response is, "No, they don't."

Check, and Mate. :smug:

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's cold outside.

Also, look at page one. It's not a "laugh at silly guitars thread." Many posters have shown love for Ibanez, Seafoam/Surf Green, but there's an anomoly on Page 1 that maybe I got but you're too loving dense to figure out?

i mean, it was supposed to be until you came around and rubbed doo doo all over it

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

HollisBrown posted:

Agreed. That seems like a super fun project, and I don't see an ethical dilemma unless you try to sell it to someone as authentic. I'd probably like it more if it said "Gisbon" or something, but whatever.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

I once asked a tech I've used a few times in the past to install a DiMarzio super switch and he went mental. He made it clear, fancy wiring jobs aren't his bag. It was a confusing moment because he didn't bat an eye-lid at the sustainer job I threw at him a few months prior.

Interesting video. That example is a bit of a lemon, you can get far, far better copies for not a lot more. I'm confused as to why he was surprised at the flame top though, flame maple isn't too expensive at all. The 'ethics' thing weirds me out a bit too, the guy I know who buys all these is pretty open about telling people about his fake-rear end guitars though, so it doesn't bother me too much, a couple of them are REALLY good fakes though.

HollisBrown posted:

I've seen frets as bad as that fake on authentic Gibsons. The Hand-cutter SG with razor sharp fret-ends poking out of the nibs was the best. £2000 worth of guitar.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

bunky posted:

Maybe he will get that in the next 250 pages.

About the same chance that JEMs become socially acceptable guitars and not gaudy 80s relics.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

unlawfulsoup posted:

Maybe he will get that in the next 250 pages.

About the same chance that JEMs become socially acceptable guitars and not gaudy 80s relics.

Those inlays are inexcusable.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's cold outside.

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU? Are you still that butthurt about someone posting a picture of your guitar 9 loving MONTHS AGO!. Seriously have you been seething with internet nerd rage for 9 loving MONTHS?

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

White Dog Eggs posted:

The 'ethics' thing weirds me out a bit too, the guy I know who buys all these is pretty open about telling people about his fake-rear end guitars though, so it doesn't bother me too much, a couple of them are REALLY good fakes though.

i think the ethics of it all is that someone could buy a convincing fake for a couple hundos and sell it on craigslist as a legit gibson and make bank.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Also, Dr. Faustus and this thread kind of made me want an Ibanez. I always though of solidbody Ibanezs as guitars for mulleted dirt rockers but I have to admit a seafoam green dick hole handle guitar would probably be kind of cool in a gross way, like a '80s IROC Camaro version of a guitar.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Man, I wouldn't have expected the Brotherhood of Nod to be so down on counterfeit guitars.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

bunky posted:

i think the ethics of it all is that someone could buy a convincing fake for a couple hundos and sell it on craigslist as a legit gibson and make bank.

Word

I will say though that Gibson kinda did this to themselves. If Gibson was making good guitars for a fair price there just wouldn't be a huge market for these.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

HollisBrown posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU? Are you still that butthurt about someone posting a picture of your guitar 9 loving MONTHS AGO!. Seriously have you been seething with internet nerd rage for 9 loving MONTHS?

One cannot simply forgive or forget guitar slights. Guitar dual at dawn.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Those inlays are inexcusable.

It takes like 5 seconds to find an awful JEM picture.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

bunky posted:

Oh yea, easy. If I thought he was going to sell them on then I wouldn't do any work on them, I'm not a fan a Gibson at all but facilitating ripping people off is skeevy. Man's got to have a code :omarcomin:.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

HollisBrown posted:

Five pictures on the first page. FIVE.
I actually left this stupid rear end in a top hat thread.
But now it's my glory because I can say anything (controversial or not) and still enjoy efforts like this one:

Nothing is wrong with me. Instead, this thread was predicated on an attack on me, personally.

Ay first I was angry about it but now... I mean, just look at it.

SA acts like they can't be trolled, but... you have to admit it's funny.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 31, 2014

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

whats with all the gibson hate? i know their build quality has plummeted in the past couple decades, but i love my sg faded. it's not a high-end model, but it plays and sounds awesome.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not even going to look at that, because I severed a friendship with an rear end in a top hat who bought (of all things) about six Les Pauls from China to make one, hopefully, good one.
He had to buy tuners, bridges, pickups, electronics, but thought, "What the hell, for $230 shipped what do I care if it's a Chinese bootleg?"

I tried to explain to him that the money he spent on those bootlegs added up to a really nice LP, and his answer was, "If I had one of those I wouldn't take it to gigs!"

I think you'd find it quite interesting. Give it a watch. Quick summary, Luthier with his own guitar company has a client turn up with Chinese Les Paul copy requesting a setup and investigation. Luthier finds some surprises. Luthier reveals he has actually been stung himself by the Chinese copy market and by relative experience, can greatly sympathise with the big brand names who are trying to stamp out the counterfeit market. Quote, "I feel dirty just touching this thing". He highlights that buying a counterfeit model (if you're one of the lucky ones and don't get a dog of an instrument) allows for a good base model as a project guitar, but you're an idiot to think you'll get £2000 worth of guitar for £200. Seriously I think you'd find it an interesting video to watch.

City of Tampa posted:

Agreed. That seems like a super fun project, and I don't see an ethical dilemma unless you try to sell it to someone as authentic. I'd probably like it more if it said "Gisbon" or something, but whatever.

Paul Gilbert admitted in an interview he bought a counterfeit Gibson simply because the headstock read, "Gilbert" and it made him chuckle.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

In a really silly way I kind of like the wave motif, oh god.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Change the petals on the vine inlay to little waves.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I think you'd find it quite interesting. Give it a watch. Quick summary, Luthier with his own guitar company has a client turn up with Chinese Les Paul copy requesting a setup and investigation. Luthier finds some surprises. Luthier reveals he has actually been stung himself by the Chinese copy market and by relative experience, can greatly sympathise with the big brand names who are trying to stamp out the counterfeit market. Quote, "I feel dirty just touching this thing". He highlights that buying a counterfeit model (if you're one of the lucky ones and don't get a dog of an instrument) allows for a good base model as a project guitar, but you're an idiot to think you'll get £2000 worth of guitar for £200. Seriously I think you'd find it an interesting video to watch.

Paul Gilbert admitted in an interview he bought a counterfeit Gibson simply because the headstock read, "Gilbert" and it made him chuckle.

This is news to me and very interesting, I will not fail to look at this. It reads as fascinating.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nothing is wrong with me. Instead, this thread was predicated on an attack on me, personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSRm80WzZk

bunky fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 31, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Change the petals on the vine inlay to little waves.

If you got rid of the stupid handle and used your suggestion I would want one, badly.

I have a problem. :(

edit: Maybe the Chinese can make me one and I can put Faustus on the headstock.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Dr. Faustus posted:

Five pictures on the first page. FIVE.
I actually left this stupid rear end in a top hat thread.
But now it's my glory because I can say anything (controversial or not) and still enjoy efforts like this one:

Ay first I was angry about it but now... I mean, just look at it.

SA acts like they can't be trolled, but... you have to admit it's funny.

Aww poo poo, he's pulling out the puppet master routine.

By the way you've tried that before, no one bought it then either.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

bunky posted:

whats with all the gibson hate? i know their build quality has plummeted in the past couple decades, but i love my sg faded. it's not a high-end model, but it plays and sounds awesome.

Putting it succinctly as possible, Gibson just aren't a very nice company. They treat their staff like poo poo (have a look online, plenty of bitter ex-employees), they are assholes to their customers (no quality control and good luck getting any problems fixed). They've also totally failed to address design flaws in their headstocks, which is shameful as it would be stupidly easy to fix.

I've got nothing against the instruments themselves (well, apart from Les-Pauls), they are over-priced and have poor quality control, but if you get a good one they are pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The Classic Vibe Tele I was trying today (all of them I tried, actually) had a way better fret job than my LPJ fwiw. Meant to get them dressed though

• Locked thread