Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Ross posted:

I found The Blade Itself pretty average except the end with the Bloody 9 reveal :black101:

I just finished The Blade Itself and I can't figure out what you're referring to. I'm worried I missed it! Could you explain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Boing posted:

I just finished The Blade Itself and I can't figure out what you're referring to. I'm worried I missed it! Could you explain?

Logen has a sort of split personality. Logen Nine fingers and the Bloody Nine. All book he is a relatively laid back dude, but at the end he goes berserk and butchers all the inquisition hit men sent to take him out

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I definitely didn't read that bit! Maybe it's in the next book? That, or my audiobook skipped it for some reason.

Boing fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 29, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Boing posted:

I definitely didn't read that bit! Maybe it's in the next book? That, or my audiobook skipped it for some reason.

It's the second-to-last chapter of the first book, titled "The Bloody-Nine."

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Can someone tell me if there is a point to Slow regard of silent things? I got 40% through and my eyes just glaze over the words now. Rothfuss wasn't kidding when he said this book was different - theres no conflict, no goals, no stakes, just an uninteresting mystery about a piece of junk.

Although to be fair the story reads exactly like a story involving Auri would read so I'm not sure what I was expecting.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I'm not quite sure what I think of Slow Regard of Silent Things, I mean its not really a gripping read by any means, not much really happens but I think on a literary level it's the best thing he's written, he's really got the narration exactly right for an Auri tale and the prose is probably his best.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Even his titles sound pretentious.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Did anyone ever make a Robin Hobb thread? I just read the first book in the new trilogy and want to talk about it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Man you guys seem to hate Rothfuss a lot for a thread about his books.

I just finished name of the wind and while it's nothing amazing, it was a pretty enjoyable fantasy book in a lot of ways (though Kvothe friend zoning himself with Dinnah is hilarious if Rothfuss isn't self aware about that)

Also the point of Auri in the first book anyways seems to be so he can have someone that gets him into the archives, it just takes literally the entire book to sort that out. eh, no more offensive than any other bit character.

the love or hate for these books seems wildly out of proportion to the books themselves.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Levitate posted:

I just finished name of the wind and while it's nothing amazing, it was a pretty enjoyable fantasy book in a lot of ways (though Kvothe friend zoning himself with Dinnah is hilarious if Rothfuss isn't self aware about that)

Also the point of Auri in the first book anyways seems to be so he can have someone that gets him into the archives, it just takes literally the entire book to sort that out. eh, no more offensive than any other bit character.

the love or hate for these books seems wildly out of proportion to the books themselves.

It always happens when the author of a series takes too long to put out the next installment (although curiously I don't see much hate for Scott Lynch). But ten chapters about fairy loving rarely help matters.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I may be biased because I like Auri as a character but I enjoyed every minute of The Slow Regard of Silent Things. It left the character a big mystery while giving us a glimpse of her world. It certainly wasn't action packed or a traditional story, but I found that part of the charm.

I took Rothfuss's disclaimer about not buying the book at face value rather than seeing it as pretension. I don't think he meant "Don't buy this because it's over your head, pleb," but as he said it definitely won't appeal to everyone. If you like Auri and her weird gifts, it's definitely for you, though.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

ElMudo posted:

I may be biased because I like Auri as a character but I enjoyed every minute of The Slow Regard of Silent Things. It left the character a big mystery while giving us a glimpse of her world. It certainly wasn't action packed or a traditional story, but I found that part of the charm.

I took Rothfuss's disclaimer about not buying the book at face value rather than seeing it as pretension. I don't think he meant "Don't buy this because it's over your head, pleb," but as he said it definitely won't appeal to everyone. If you like Auri and her weird gifts, it's definitely for you, though.

After digesting it properly I think its genuinely the best thing he's written.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Lyon posted:

Did anyone ever make a Robin Hobb thread? I just read the first book in the new trilogy and want to talk about it.

I still haven't finished the book (I kind of... got bored in the middle) but when I do I'd be up for a general Robin Hobb thread, and for talking about this book specifically.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MrFlibble posted:

It always happens when the author of a series takes too long to put out the next installment (although curiously I don't see much hate for Scott Lynch). But ten chapters about fairy loving rarely help matters.

I could forgive his need to get out his pent up nerdfic if 2/3 of each book wasn't "Harry Potter, but everyone's a (bigger) rear end in a top hat" because I honestly could do without yet another chapter of him going to play at an inn and shooting the poo poo or seeing his crush who he's almost definitely going to kill and do nothing that progresses the story.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

StoneOfShame posted:

After digesting it properly I think its genuinely the best thing he's written.

I'm left wondering if Auri is simply OCD with respect to her pursuit of perfection and her rituals or if there is a method to her madness. She's obviously broken, but the story hints that she is very knowledgeable about magic. Is her pursuit of perfection just mental illness or she is seeing something real?

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

ElMudo posted:

I'm left wondering if Auri is simply OCD with respect to her pursuit of perfection and her rituals or if there is a method to her madness. She's obviously broken, but the story hints that she is very knowledgeable about magic. Is her pursuit of perfection just mental illness or she is seeing something real?

I think its a bit of both really, she's broken by magic as is stated in the main books that magic can easily crack you especially if you're talents are in certain areas. I actually found a lot of similarities between Auri's feeling out the places things belong and almost the personalities of the objects and the way naming is taught, its a deliberate similarity as well I think.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MrFlibble posted:

Lynch typically gets a pass because he was dealing with actual psychological issues. Rothfuss and GRRM, on the other hand, are taking forever because they keep getting tied up with other stuff.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

ElMudo posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. Just reading his blog post (http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2014/10/the-slow-regard-of-silent-things/) makes me anxious for him.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Lynch typically gets a pass because he was dealing with actual psychological issues. Rothfuss and GRRM, on the other hand, are taking forever because they keep getting tied up with other stuff.
And he was really up front about it too.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Lynch also managed to tell a complete story in Lies of Locke Lamora, so I didn't have to wait years to find out how the heist turned out. Rothfuss's and GRRM's book are much less satisfying standing on their own.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Levitate posted:

Eh there have been plenty of good discussions in the thread, and good discussion about a subject doesn't have to be just positive. Lots of people went into great detail on what they liked/didn't like.

A thread about a particular author is a lot more fun when people are willing to discuss what they feel works and doesn't work in their works, instead of unconditionally loving everything they do.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Chapter 1: Auri gets out of bed and looks at collection of found objects.

Chapter 2: Auri takes a bath and looks for found objects.

Chapter 3: Auri takes a walk and looks for found objects.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Srice posted:

Eh there have been plenty of good discussions in the thread, and good discussion about a subject doesn't have to be just positive. Lots of people went into great detail on what they liked/didn't like.

A thread about a particular author is a lot more fun when people are willing to discuss what they feel works and doesn't work in their works, instead of unconditionally loving everything they do.

I liked the first book. As a PhD student who is nearly finished I loved Rothfuss description and detail of the I intricate relationships you build with faculty and your fellow students at the post-grad level.

I even "liked" the secret 2nd book even though I too would critique his total lack of female agency. Once more, hid spergy neck beard fantasy of dominating and, in that domination, complete destruction of the will of what is in essence a mythological goddess of love, disgusted me.

I just bought the new book, and will frankly keep reading unless it gets even more sexist and disgusting because I'm "hooked" into the story; however, at no point have I thought Rothfuss was a great (or even good) writer. He's a fine story teller, and struck me as a pretty good novice novelist with potential.

His novicesness I think is easy to see when you think of just how awesome the protagonist is at everything--despite his ineptitude at the present. At many points, it really reads like an author with a massive ego barely describing a character who represents a the fantastic vision he has of himself.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 30, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ZombieLenin posted:

I even "liked" the secret 2nd book even though I too would critique his total lack of female agency. Once more, hid spergy neck beard fantasy of dominating and, in that domination, complete destruction of the will of what is in essence a mythological goddess of love, disgusted me.

She's a Goddess of Love in the same way that Sirens were good singers whom men liked to listen to. She definitely isn't some Venus-type love goddess, she's a fey nymphomaniac who routinely hosed guys to death. The destruction of her will is likely due to Kvothe calling her true name during the struggle he had against her. Kvothe is even told later on to never tell anyone else his true name, not even the old lady who keeps the swords' histories.

That whole section was dumb and seemed to badly reek of some nerd wish-fulfillment fantasy though. Of the Authors I've read over the last year he's probably the worst one. I'm interested to see how the story ends but it's not because he's a decent storyteller or worldbuilder, because he isn't. Reading the Stormlight Archives recently gave a pretty huge gap in writing talent. Even the worst parts of Kaladin's depression or the early chapters with Shallan were better than a fair bit of Kingkiller's fluff.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 30, 2014

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So we're all in agreement that Kvothe changed his real name and thats why he sucks at magic and everything now right?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Solice Kirsk posted:

So we're all in agreement that Kvothe changed his real name and thats why he sucks at magic and everything now right?
Probably. One variant theory:

quote:

But what I really believe is this variant. Part of his name, the V and the H, are shut in the Thrice Locked Chest, the way part of the moon’s name was shut in Jax’s box.

He has shut part of his name (the V and the H) in his Thrice Locked Box, where he can’t get at it. When he’s trying to open it he reminds me of somebody I know who really wanted to give up smoking so he put all his cigarettes in a plastic bag and froze that in the middle of a really big block of ice. The idea was that he’d weaken and get it out of the freezer, but he’d remember his resolution before it melted and put it back. This worked for a long time, but eventually he went at it with a blowtorch... and I think this is what K will do. Maybe not with a blowtorch. But the way he is with that chest is really really similar.
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/08/rothfuss-reread-speculative-summary-part-3-fire-thunder-broken-tree-speculations-on-kvothe

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

One thought I had about it was that it came from a broken oath; Kvothe swears his serious oaths by his name, his power, and his good (left/right) hand and now he's Kote, he can't do sympathy, and he can't fight.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Khizan posted:

One thought I had about it was that it came from a broken oath; Kvothe swears his serious oaths by his name, his power, and his good (left/right) hand and now he's Kote, he can't do sympathy, and he can't fight.

...except he can both do sympathy and fight, at least under certain circumstances. Kote breaks a bottle of strawberry wine in Chapter 6 that he's not touching:

quote:

Kote stood with his back to the room, a stillness in his body and a terrible silence clenched between his teeth. His right hand, tangled in a clean white cloth, made a slow fist. Eight inches away a bottle shattered. The smell of strawberries filled the air alongside the sound of splintering glass.
...and Kote kills something like 5 scrael, which he and Bast agree would be enough to slaughter the town that Kote lives in.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

And he also fails to light the demon on fire and gets his rear end handed to him when a regular joe bandit breaks out of his hold. I think it's obvious that he's lost something whether it's because of a broken oath or he renamed himself or he caught part of his name in the chest. I think it's equally obvious that he didn't lose everything.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 30, 2014

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Khizan posted:

And he also fails to light the demon on fire and gets his rear end handed to him when a regular joe bandit breaks out of his hold. I think it's obvious that he's lost something whether it's because of a broken oath or he renamed himself or he caught part of his name in the chest. I think it's equally obvious that he didn't lose everything.

He also fails to convince some young boy not to go off to war. Kvothe described as silver-tongued but Kote can't even convince the kid that he *is* Kvothe. I think Kote has failed at least once at everything Kvothe has been said to be good at, and that that's probably significant.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

SolTerrasa posted:

He also fails to convince some young boy not to go off to war. Kvothe described as silver-tongued but Kote can't even convince the kid that he *is* Kvothe. I think Kote has failed at least once at everything Kvothe has been said to be good at, and that that's probably significant.

Interestingly, we haven't seen him fail at making music - he just doesn't try at all. That might be significant too.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I got money that the only resolution we'll get is Kvothe getting his name back, and a tease for the next trilogy.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BananaNutkins posted:

I got money that the only resolution we'll get is Kvothe getting his name back, and a tease for the next trilogy.

I think this has been the plan all along, honestly. The frame story is about a historian searching for the truth behind the legend of Kvothe and finding it. Once Kvothe finishes telling that story, the Kingkiller Trilogy itself is essentially over and ready to move on to the Kvothe Saves the World trilogy or whatever.

Basically Rothfuss is never going to stop writing about Kvothe and that is tragic because he's talented but will never really accomplish anything if he can't move past his mary-sue character.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Ornamented Death posted:

I think this has been the plan all along, honestly. The frame story is about a historian searching for the truth behind the legend of Kvothe and finding it. Once Kvothe finishes telling that story, the Kingkiller Trilogy itself is essentially over and ready to move on to the Kvothe Saves the World trilogy or whatever.

Basically Rothfuss is never going to stop writing about Kvothe and that is tragic because he's talented but will never really accomplish anything if he can't move past his mary-sue character.

He'll probably accomplish making a boatload of money, and given his apparent focus on the importance of making money my guess is he'll be ok with that.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
If he keeps releasing a book every 4 years, then he would finish the first trilogy at 42 and the second a 54 in 2027. That would be about the same time as his kids finish college, so he could possibly retire if he wanted too. Jim Butcher has said multiple times that the number of dresden books will be based off long his son goes to college.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Calidus posted:

If he keeps releasing a book every 4 years, then he would finish the first trilogy at 42 and the second a 54 in 2027. That would be about the same time as his kids finish college, so he could possibly retire if he wanted too. Jim Butcher has said multiple times that the number of dresden books will be based off long his son goes to college.

Jim Butcher has stated the exact length of Dresden several times. I think it is 20 books + a final 3 book apocalypse trilogy but I could mis-remembering those numbers a bit. Whether that lines up with his kid's college timeline I don't know.

Edit: I guess it isn't quite as exact as I thought.

Wiki and Jim Butcher's FAQ posted:

Butcher is currently planning for approximately twenty books in the "case files" of the series, to be capped by a further "big apocalyptic trilogy". At the Tyson's Corner Book Signing on August 1, 2011, Butcher hinted that the titles of the apocalyptic trilogy would be "Stars and Stones", "Hell's Bells", and "Empty Night", referring to curse words used by Harry and the White Court vampires, respectively.

Q. How many books is Jim writing for the Dresden Files?
A. 23ish: 20ish “case books,” like those we’ve seen so far, plus a 3-book apocalyptic trilogy. Book #15, Skin Game, hits bookstores May 27th, 2014.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 31, 2014

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDJDn-ggqOo&t=1010s

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Bizob posted:

He'll probably accomplish making a boatload of money, and given his apparent focus on the importance of making money my guess is he'll be ok with that.

Given he's teaching english at a state school with less than 10k students, I'd say his focus is not making money. Otherwise he'd be writing full time. Steven King in the 80s was focused on making money, compare the output of the two.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Hughlander posted:

Given he's teaching english at a state school with less than 10k students, I'd say his focus is not making money. Otherwise he'd be writing full time. Steven King in the 80s was focused on making money, compare the output of the two.

Stephen King was on a TON of coke during the 80s, which at least partially explains is output then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Bizob posted:

Stephen King was on a TON of coke during the 80s, which at least partially explains is output then.

well it sounds like we have a solution to getting the Door of Stone released faster...

• Locked thread