Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They should of have the assassin who almost killed Barton slip in a bro or seriously bro. A track suit would have also worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

jng2058 posted:

If the "setup" includes Ward shooting FBI guys in the head? It's a bad setup. Given that we see Ward cap some poor Fed, it seems pretty out of character for Coulson to let innocents get killed just for the sake of getting Ward loose when there were other options that didn't involve murder.

Ergo, I don't think it was a setup.

e: Also, and I know this is something that happens a lot in TV and film, but it bugs me that when Coulson's going over Ward's crimes, he doesn't bother to mention that Ward capped way more than just Hand and Koenig. We saw him kill at least four other SHIELD guys on screen, and who knows how many others off screen during the Fridge raid! Those guys should count too!

I'm saying that out of hope more than logic, because otherwise its a dumb predictable scene that could have been replaced with a 1920's dialogue card reading "What the gently caress do you think happens? Of course he gets out."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

jng2058 posted:

So after reflecting about some of last season's episodes, it occurred to me that now that Ward's loose he might decide to go after Quinn for shooting Skye. And if he made his move at a critical time during one of Quinn's Gravitonium experiments? Well, that could have all kinds of interesting side effects, ya know?

Oh right, we haven't seen Quinn yet this season, or if we did it was very briefly. Whitehall, Ward and Skyedad are the big focus right now though, I don't expect Quinn to be a factor until the second half of the season. With the arc they have going now, I don't expect them to hop off onto a Gravitonium side-quest or anything.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Wolpertinger posted:

I've been thinking about giving this another try, but don't know if I can stand a whole season as bad as the first 2-3 episodes - what's this cherry picked list of episodes?

Senerio posted:

1, 10-11, 14+ (13 is good, but 14 sets up the rest of the season) is the list I gave Zaggitz.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Random thought: What's the over/under on how many seasons it will be before Tahmoh Penikett shows up in a semi-recurring role?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 30, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

greatn posted:

They said in the pilot Ward and May are on the same combat level as Barton and Romanov. Except I assume Barton's better at bows than everyone else and Romanov is better at guns sweet lucha libre moves than everyone else. Ward's expertise seems to be CQC and May's seems to be improvised weapons.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Bows are a terrible thing to be good at though, which is why Barton will always be the Aqua Man of the Avengers.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Sharmat posted:

Bows are a terrible thing to be good at though, which is why Barton will always be the Aqua Man of the Avengers.

That's clearly Ant Man

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rarity posted:

That's clearly Ant Man

Ant Man uses bows and arrows?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hawkeye once improved himself by using Pym's tech, so he's still the bottom guy.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

The Sharmat posted:

Hawkeye was great in a time when good guys weren't allowed to use guns, so he grabbed the closest thing he could.

Also, Aquaman is basically Thor except he trades flight for psychic control over anything that inhabits 75% of the world.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Moriatti posted:

Hawkeye was great in a time when good guys weren't allowed to use guns, so he grabbed the closest thing he could.

Also, Aquaman is basically Thor except he trades flight for psychic control over anything that inhabits 75% of the world.

Doesn't help that 99% of that 75% are basically useless in combat and defense.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I always thought Aquaman was a joke of a super hero until I read his wikipedia article. Dude has way more powers than most people are aware of. An especially awesome water hand too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Sharmat posted:

Bows are also for weak dishonorable men who don't want to fight hand to hand like a real man. Why do you think Paris is such a wimp in The Iliad?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

ApeHawk posted:

Doesn't help that 99% of that 75% are basically useless in combat and defense.

The other 1% are sharks.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

Bows are also for weak dishonorable men who don't want to fight hand to hand like a real man. Why do you think Paris is such a wimp in The Iliad?

Odysseus is the exception that proves the rule.

Moriatti posted:

The other 1% are sharks.

...who are useless on land.

radlum
May 13, 2013

BSam posted:

Ant Man uses bows and arrows?

What if you combine them?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

The Sharmat posted:

Where he just has to rely on his super strength and slight telepathy?
IDK, I think arguing comic semantics on the internet is something we should not be doing, so I'm just gonna leave this clip of Aquaman being awesome as my argument instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE8C1WWixgc

So after Senator Ward gave his whole speech about "something else behind those eyes" and the focus on his face and the actor's sort of deadeye thing he does whenever he just wigs out and kills a bunch of people... I'm wondering if there's more to psycho Ward then just him being crazy?

IDK if that's a direction I'dbe down for, but it seems like a possibility.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vishass posted:

"I only have one brother"

Senator Ward is Tyler Durden.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
"I am Jack's Life Model Decoy."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

radlum posted:

What if you combine them?

They're even more kick-rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAAskBKmc18

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

...unless there's a sharknado :colbert:

e: actually, is creating a sharknado (or something similar) in Aquaman's power scope or would he need more juice?

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Moriatti posted:

So after Senator Ward gave his whole speech about "something else behind those eyes" and the focus on his face and the actor's sort of deadeye thing he does whenever he just wigs out and kills a bunch of people... I'm wondering if there's more to psycho Ward then just him being crazy?

IDK if that's a direction I'dbe down for, but it seems like a possibility.

It might be, but it might just be a little thing the actor does to indicate the character's a loving lunatic about to do what he does best.

:shrug: But this is a comic book show, so it's hard to say one way or another.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HaitianDivorce posted:

It might be, but it might just be a little thing the actor does to indicate the character's a loving lunatic about to do what he does best.

:shrug: But this is a comic book show, so it's hard to say one way or another.

It would be hilarious that he is just a senator and nothing evil about him. That its just Wards delusions that he is evil.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

jng2058 posted:

If the "setup" includes Ward shooting FBI guys in the head? It's a bad setup. Given that we see Ward cap some poor Fed, it seems pretty out of character for Coulson to let innocents get killed just for the sake of getting Ward loose when there were other options that didn't involve murder.

Ergo, I don't think it was a setup.

e: Also, and I know this is something that happens a lot in TV and film, but it bugs me that when Coulson's going over Ward's crimes, he doesn't bother to mention that Ward capped way more than just Hand and Koenig. We saw him kill at least four other SHIELD guys on screen, and who knows how many others off screen during the Fridge raid! Those guys should count too!

Except Ward doesn't shoot anyone in the head in the escape, he punches a few dudes, takes a gun and points it, then the scene cuts to the tatoo guy.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

bobkatt013 posted:

It would be hilarious that he is just a senator and nothing evil about him. That its just Wards delusions that he is evil.

Impossible. He's a Republican.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

greatn posted:

Maybe Coulson made sure the agents transporting him were equipped with icers.

I'm fuzzy on the ending, but don't icers have a specific sound and glow blue?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mr Beens posted:

Except Ward doesn't shoot anyone in the head in the escape, he punches a few dudes, takes a gun and points it, then the scene cuts to the tatoo guy.

Oh, this is gonna be one of those fun ones, isn't it? Like "Did Ward and May sleep together" or "Michael totally said 'I acquit'"!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mr Beens posted:

After reviewing the film I find that this is technically true, there was no gunshot. Nevertheless, I don't see why Coulson would trust a freed Ward not to gently caress things up all over the place, nor that Ward wouldn't go on a murder spree as soon as he was loose.

I admit it's possible but I don't think it's at all likely.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Doctor Butts posted:

It wasn't just that to make the moment. What really made the moment was that Ward looked at Skye. Simmons stepped in front of her to block his view, as if protecting her/denying him the pleasure of looking at her and then uttered those words. It was great.

I would also like to remind people that he once saved her life too. So that whole moment wasn't a punch in the gut, it was a sledgehammer to the ribcage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OptimusWang posted:

...unless there's a sharknado :colbert:

e: actually, is creating a sharknado (or something similar) in Aquaman's power scope or would he need more juice?

He doesn't need to because all kinds of crazy mythical sea monsters exist in DC canon including the Kraken.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

bobkatt013 posted:

Nahh, their little brother got the poo poo kicked out of him.

But what did their parents expect, giving their kid a name like Trauma?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In one of the comics Aquaman can control every living creature on the planet basically because we all came from the oceans.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

In one of the comics Aquaman can control every living creature on the planet basically because we all came from the oceans.

I assume aliens are immune, unless they evolved from their ocean creatures?

I once read a comic strip where a vampire was killed by an origami sword, because paper is made from wood, and another vampire died from moonlight because the moon reflects sunlight.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moriatti posted:

IDK, I think arguing comic semantics on the internet is something we should not be doing

You are right!

I think instead we should all be discussing how mad/sad we are that Marvel didn't announce a ROM: Spaceknight movie.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Creatures of the ocean, pfft. What's so scary down there?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Cthulhu is technically a space creature, not an ocean creature.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Doctor Butts posted:

Random thought: What's the over/under on how many seasons it will be before Tahmoh Penikett shows up in a semi-recurring role?

Do they film in Vancouver? If so, he'll start next week.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's filming Strange Empire, is he not
?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Fun episode, but Peter, noooo, are you going to be a bad guy? You play such a charming good guy!

I like Mac, but the whole Fitz/Simmons drama fell flat for me. I did love her getting her threat in to Ward, though.

• Locked thread