Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Why isn't this the official name of the delver/pyro/swift deck yet?

I've seen the UR list called Viking Funeral, which I think is pretty clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AlternateNu posted:

and Bolt of Keranos which no one is running for some reason despite the lack of good removal now).

Why would I pay three mana for three damage at sorcery speed when I can get the same thing at instant speed for 2? Scrying is good, but not that good.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

forbidden lesbian posted:

You can have force of will, but only if I can get Fireblast

This would make Modern approximately 1 million times more fun, so yes please do.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
That's kind of cute. The artist who did the VM Lion's Eye Diamond also got commissioned to do art for the rest of the Mirage Diamonds in C14.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sleep of Bronze posted:

That's kind of cute. The artist who did the VM Lion's Eye Diamond also got commissioned to do art for the rest of the Mirage Diamonds in C14.

She does very good "Hand holding gemstone" art.

Now if only we knew what else she could do. 'Cause that's all she's done for Magic art so far.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm really liking a couple of mainboard Ashcloud Phoenix in Jeskai right now, they seem like they should be really good against all three of the main decks running around right now (Jeskai, Abzan, G/x). What are people running for their flex spots in Jeskai?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cernunnos posted:

She does very good "Hand holding gemstone" art.

Now if only we knew what else she could do. 'Cause that's all she's done for Magic art so far.

I don't think there's a problem with that composition per se, it's more a problem with Magic art in general in that the more often they go to a particular well, the more obvious and tiresome it becomes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sleep of Bronze posted:

VM Lion's Eye Diamond

Could you link it?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

Could you link it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
That sure is a literal Lion and Diamond.

Quality Wizard Poker Art in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Fourteen.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Its probably me being a mtg old fart, but I think the mirage versions are better. At least they look better than the 7th edition versions.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

odiv posted:

I dunno man. In his most recent draft video his opponent cast Ride Down on the creature blocking Zurgo Helmsmasher, Duke regenerated the creature, but then didn't take the trample damage.

suicidesteve posted:

I love how he spent the whole game keeping track of his actual life and his MTGO life. I wonder if he would have conceded if he got to 7?

I know this was a joke and all, but I'm pretty sure MTGO got it right. Usually when the creature is destroyed the game uses the last known information about which creature(s) it was blocking, but because it regenerates it removes it from combat thus is no longer blocking anything and giving no creature trample.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

thanks

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jabor posted:

Why would I pay three mana for three damage at sorcery speed when I can get the same thing at instant speed for 2? Scrying is good, but not that good.

The idea is to play both since 3 is a pretty big threshold right now for creature destruction.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Toshimo posted:

While I agree with what I assume to be your point, that the original is more appealing, there's a literal lion and diamond in it too :v:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Rinkles posted:

Could you link it?
You've seen the card: here's the bigger art.

Toshimo posted:

Have you ever tried not being a grumpy poo poo?

Bugsy posted:

Its probably me being a mtg old fart, but I think the mirage versions are better. At least they look better than the 7th edition versions.
Yeah, the 7E ones are pretty poo poo, especially Fire. I reckon I'm pretty even on these new ones and the originals, and think Sky Diamond got the best both times around. The light in the Mirage one is sweet, and I love the refraction of the palm through this one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Yeah, the 7E ones are pretty poo poo

I hated pretty much all the original art for 7th. I even prefer today's modern aesthetic to it's style. (white borders probably didn't help).

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

you ever tried not being a grumpy poo poo?

Hate to jump on the bandwagon and don't usually post much, but I agree. Every time you post it's complaining about something.

In other news, I have seen a worrying amount of my meta getting out of standard due to suddenly realizing it is actually a terrible format and with the value of their sarkhans, green cards and fetchlands they can get actual modern decks so I need to start seriously thinking about my own. I have made a good shell for a UR delver list (visions, snaps, cliques, but no commands) but have gotten bored of it and my meta consists of a lot of cheap bogles decks and soul sisters. Can someone recommend me a different deck that uses a similar base that's interesting? I am looking at blue moon and it looks pretty cool.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Samael posted:

Hate to jump on the bandwagon and don't usually post much, but I agree. Every time you post it's complaining about something.

In other news, I have seen a worrying amount of my meta getting out of standard due to suddenly realizing it is actually a terrible format and with the value of their sarkhans, green cards and fetchlands they can get actual modern decks so I need to start seriously thinking about my own. I have made a good shell for a UR delver list (visions, snaps, cliques, but no commands) but have gotten bored of it and my meta consists of a lot of cheap bogles decks and soul sisters. Can someone recommend me a different deck that uses a similar base that's interesting? I am looking at blue moon and it looks pretty cool.

If everyone is playing boggles and soul sisters play infect.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Shout out to a topdecked Minotaur Skullcleaver for saving me from losing to a dude playing some weird Grixis brew with Ornithopter and Revoker but also Master of the Feast?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Do we get the full spoiler drop tomorrow or at the end of the weekend? I should probably know this myself but the wotc site crashed so many times on my laptop I'm scared to visit.

I'm pretty excited to see what we get reprinted.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Samael posted:

Sounds like you're most of the way to playing my RUG Control deck. It plays along the same lines as Blue Moon. Buying the Cryptics will kinda suck though.

https://deckbox.org/sets/743204

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Sounds like you're most of the way to playing my RUG Control deck. It plays along the same lines as Blue Moon. Buying the Cryptics will kinda suck though.

https://deckbox.org/sets/743204

I have most of that deck!

Then I saw Tarmogoyfs and it made me sad.

Samael fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 31, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Samael posted:

I have the most of that deck!

Then I saw Tarmogoyfs and it made me sad.

Haha, yeah they'll do that. Honestly, 2 Scoozes and a ??? instead of the Goyfs would probably be ok. Not great, but not bad. Especially with Treasure Cruise being a thing that exists, Oozes are pretty good. I was trying to make room for one somewhere in my 75.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Attorney at Funk posted:

My reason was known all along: it was the Pokemon hat.

He just wanted to be the very best, like no one ever was.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Rinkles posted:

I hated pretty much all the original art for 7th. I even prefer today's modern aesthetic to it's style. (white borders probably didn't help).

The set was generally catastrophic for art, but I love everything about 7th edition Flying Carpet (especially that flavor text).

I want it in foil. :allears:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Boxman posted:

The set was generally catastrophic for art, but I love everything about 7th edition Flying Carpet (especially that flavor text).

I want it in foil. :allears:

It's only ~$2 on TCGplayer. Go get one. Stick it in a Cube.

Or just stick it in your trade binder and let everyone get a laugh out of it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Rules question: There is a round of priority between First Strike damage and normal damage, right? Like if any effects trigger upon damage being dealt (or gaining life off a lifelinked first striker), you can react to it, right?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Rules question: There is a round of priority between First Strike damage and normal damage, right? Like if any effects trigger upon damage being dealt (or gaining life off a lifelinked first striker), you can react to it, right?

Yes. In fact, you can react to the end of the 'first-strike damage' step so long as a creature has first strike, even if no other effects occurred.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

That guy's face has got "Rockin'!" all over it. There's got to be a stock image of those two pretending to surf or something like that out there.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

He desperately needs to be throwing up the horns.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Gensuki posted:

Yes. In fact, you can react to the end of the 'first-strike damage' step so long as a creature has first strike, even if no other effects occurred.
You can't remove first strike from a creature or give them double strike to allow them to hit again at this point, however. But you can ninjutsu a creature with first strike and give the ninja a whack at them too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zemyla posted:

You can't remove first strike from a creature or give them double strike to allow them to hit again at this point, however. But you can ninjutsu a creature with first strike and give the ninja a whack at them too.

Yeah. I was asking primarily about Altac Bloodseeker. If a first striker takes out an opponent's guy, she still gets the +2/+0, but it will be dealt as normal damage. Interesting with the above quote, you can give a creature double strike, they will just have missed their chance to get first strike damage in. If they were originally a first striker, they will have been considered having already completed their attack for that battle phase and thus won't trigger normal damage.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

AnacondaHL posted:

I know this was a joke and all, but I'm pretty sure MTGO got it right. Usually when the creature is destroyed the game uses the last known information about which creature(s) it was blocking, but because it regenerates it removes it from combat thus is no longer blocking anything and giving no creature trample.

Because it gives a time frame, "this combat," it's looking for something that happened in the past not current information. The ruling on Gatherer also implies that it is looking for the creature being declared as a blocker. As long as the creature was declared as a blocker, the trample is applied even if the creature isn't currently in combat.

quote:

In some rare cases, the blocking creature wasn’t declared as a blocking creature that combat (for example, if it entered the battlefield blocking). In that case, the attacking creatures it was blocking won’t gain trample even though the blocking creature is destroyed.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mae posted:

I'm developing a new legacy archetype known only as Tinker Treasure Delver Sligh

Tinker is banned in Legacy, but it is honestly so good that Vintage delver decks sometimes play their 1 Tinker alongside 1 Blightsteel Colossus.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Chamale posted:

Tinker is banned in Legacy, but it is honestly so good that Vintage delver decks sometimes play their 1 Tinker alongside 1 Blightsteel Colossus.

Some people like Vault Key, but Tinker does it one better; it's just about the only example of a one card instant kill combo (along with Bazaar of Baghdad, I suppose). People even run it in their Dark Confidant decks, which makes for amusing gameplay.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Myriad Truths posted:

Some people like Vault Key, but Tinker does it one better; it's just about the only example of a one card instant kill combo (along with Bazaar of Baghdad, I suppose). People even run it in their Dark Confidant decks, which makes for amusing gameplay.

Vault Key is fine in control because you run so many tutors and dig spells that eventually you find both halves. Tinker, though, is a disruptable 2U: You win the game next turn. Tezzeret the Seeker, thanks to Time Vault, is a disruptable 3UU: You win the game next turn. In my experience, the cards most likely to win a game of Vintage are Tinker, Time Vault, Tendrils of Agony, Young Pyromancer, and Lodestone Golem.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zemyla posted:

You can't remove first strike from a creature or give them double strike to allow them to hit again at this point, however.

Actually, you can give a creature double-strike after the first combat damage step and have it matter. The creatures that assign and deal combat damage in the second combat damage step are:
- attackers/blockers that didn't have first strike or double strike at the start of the first combat damage step
- attackers/blockers that currently have double strike

So if a creature had first strike at the start of the first combat damage step, you can give it double strike during that step in order to have it also hit during the second combat damage step.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

AlternateNu posted:

Interesting with the above quote, you can give a creature double strike, they will just have missed their chance to get first strike damage in. If they were originally a first striker, they will have been considered having already completed their attack for that battle phase and thus won't trigger normal damage.

Here's the rule.

quote:

702.4d. Giving double strike to a creature with first strike after it has already dealt combat damage in the first combat damage step will allow the creature to assign combat damage in the second combat damage step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chamale posted:

Tinker is basically a one-card combo in the only format its legal in since every single deck runs tons of completely free or close to free artifacts.

• Locked thread