Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Badera posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Taibbi is vastly overrated? I also remember reading about his time in Russia and being super disgusted by it.

Are you sure your not thinking of Mark Ames?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This bums me out because every single Republican senator/governor/representative campaign ad is just a list of things they lazily opposed. Opposing affordable health care, opposing helping the poor and needy, opposing Medicare expansion, opposing immigration reform, opposing unions, opposing "liberal agendas," opposing education spending and reform, etc. These are also the people who get really butthurt when you rightfully refer to the GOP as the Party of No. Seems to me a good leader is someone who has their own ideas rather than just taking bribe money for making GBS threads on others'.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Freep has their donation page up and this amazing image

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Freep has their donation page up and this amazing image

Its a liberal false flag, a REAL AMERICAN would have a M1911A1 (as handed down to John Moses Browning by God himself) instead of that Italian Beretta.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hazo posted:

This bums me out because every single Republican senator/governor/representative campaign ad is just a list of things they lazily opposed. Opposing affordable health care

In all fairness, they were not at all lazy in their opposition to this one.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Sure they were. It's easy to just be all ":argh: Obamacare, repeal it completely"

They are only now starting to wise up to the idea of actually going through the whole thing, cherry picking some stuff out that either is (or can be drummed up to be) unpopular, and then trying to legislate it out until the whole thing collapses.

Bitching about it publicly, and putting up 50 House votes to repeal it in its entirety is very low effort in comparison.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mister Adequate posted:

"Lazy" meaning "loudly opposing it without putting forth a viable alternative" (except for the lunatics talking about "vouchers" but even they only piped up when it became apparent the law was going to succeed) or flat-out harming the poor out of spite (Medicaid expansion refusals). They only recently started actually talking about alternatives, mostly amounting to keeping the stuff that's hugely popular but still trimmed down enough to hurt the poor and then calling it their idea.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh gently caress you

StevenCrowder catcall tweets also his wife sounds like a real winner

quote:

"One time I was walking downtown and a guy yelled "fuzzy-wuzza-wuzzawoman!" I said thanks. Didn't start a march." - Wife.

I'm married. I cat-call my wife all the time. If "You look beautiful" is considered a cat call. All the time.

"Being told "Hey beautiful" is not offensive! Being told to vote solely based on my vagina is." - Wife.

Point is "Hey, you're beautiful! Have a great night." is not a cat call. Watch the vid, silly goose.

"Seriously what's the point? Uploading a vid where people say "Hi beautiful!" She's trying the "oh it's so hard to be hot" thing" - My wife

"If she were standing next to a prettier woman who got the cat calls, she'd be upset and jealous. Totally different vid" - My wife.

"The whole point to this girl uploading the video is to try and convince everyone she's hot" - My wife.

I've literally had guys look at my wife, look at me and give me a fist bump. Men like beautiful women. Shocker.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ugh look at this woman who just wants to tell everyone they're hot. - waifu

I'm gonna write in that people fist bump me because you're so hot, even though that's either tragically lame or more likely never happened. - husbando

OK do it. - waifu

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

You make fair points, guys.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

"The whole point to this girl uploading the video is to try and convince everyone she's hot" - My wife.

Said after no less than 3 written statements about how hot she is (at least), including 2 made by herself.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I dunno, I can get behind "men are inherently too dumb to convey complex ideas on the fly".

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Someone married Stephen Crowder.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

VideoTapir posted:

Someone married Stephen Crowder.

They also took his virginity because he's a huge dork

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's not a joke by the way. He bragged about being an adult virgin and how people who have premarital sex don't get what its like to really get married.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How old was he?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Notorious QIG posted:

They should probably film a half-dozen clips of Stewart staring at the camera speechlessly in order to have something to cut away to, otherwise yeah I'm inclined to agree.

Just put together a soundboard of him gibbering in a confused way and train a cute animal to hit random buttons after every silly Republican soundbite.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

radical meme posted:

Are you sure your not thinking of Mark Ames?

Nah, Ames had sex with a child, Taibbi 'just' harassed women

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/beast-in-the-east/Content?oid=902762

http://fredrikdeboer.com/2014/10/30/the-exile-guys-have-a-lot-to-answer-for/

quote:

It's not ironic--Ames and Taibbi explicitly scorn the bourgeois safety net of irony--and it's not just a rhetorical stance. "You're always trying to force Masha and Sveta under the table to give you blow jobs," complains their first business manager, an American woman, in chapter six, "The White God Factor." "It's not funny. They don't think it's funny." "But...it is funny," replies Taibbi. They take particular glee in trashing several former female staff members in print, taking multiple potshots at the aforementioned business manager's "gorilla rear end." They're equally nasty to her replacement, who quit in disgust after they went on a four-month "brain-sucking speed binge."

And Ames's treatment of Russian teenage girls is documented with frightening glee. In the book he recounts one evening with an expat investment banker pal and what he thought were three 16-year-old girls:

"When I went back into the TV room, Andy pulled me aside with a worried grin on his face. 'Dude do you realize...do you know how old that Natasha is?' he said.

"'Sixteen?'

"'No! No, she's fif-teen. Fif-teen.' Right then my pervometer needle hit the red. I had to have her, even if she was homely."

After they do it, she tells him she has a three-month-old baby.

"It was hard to imagine that Natasha had squatted out a baby," Ames writes. "Her oval office was as tight as a cat's rear end....I'd slept with mothers before--they're a lot wider. Sex with them is like probing a straw in a mildew-lined German beer mug."

Later he learns that she's lying--she has no baby, but rather is four months pregnant. After she has an abortion, he writes about her in the Exile, suggesting that she be sterilized and awarded "one of those cheap trophy cups with the inscription 'World's Greatest Mom.'"

quote:

We have been pretty rough on our girls. We’d ask our Russian staff to flash their asses or breasts for us. We’d tell them that if they wanted to keep their jobs, they’d have to perform unprotected anal sex with us. Nearly every day, we asked our female staff if they approved of anal sex. That was a fixation of ours. “Can I gently caress you in the rear end? Huh? I mean, without a rubber? Is that okay?” It was all part of the fun.

quote:

...Katya sat on my lap and told me she had some exciting news: she was pregnant, and I was the father!

I panicked. Children are my worst nightmare--worse than worst...

“No, Katya, you don’t understand. I cannot have a child. I do not like children. I hate them. They disgust me, physically.”

“But I can’t have an abortion,” she pleaded. “I was told that if I did, I’d never be able to have a child.”

I knew she was bluffing, so I countered with the RU-486 pill. I offered to fly to France, pick one up, and bring it back for her. “It’s totally safe,” I cheerily offered.

“I can’t do that,” she said. ‘I can’t kill our child.”

Right then, I stared at Katya with a look--I’m not sure how it appeared to her, but in my mind, I was starting to contemplate two courses of action: murder, or AWOL.

“What will you do, kill me?” she said, laughing nervously.

“Maybe, yeah,” I replied. “I’ll throw you off my balcony. I’ll make it look like an accident.”

She started to cry, but I was relentless. I told her that if she had the child, she would be killing me, so it was an act of self-defense. And if I didn’t kill her, then I would flee Moscow and she’d never find me....I was relentless. I attacked her the Russian way: I wore her down for hours during the KGB interrogation-style...

At 5:30 the next morning, Katya, acting the martyr, quietly slipped out of my apartment, made a beeline to the abortion clinic, and sucked the little fucker out.

and this 'wonderful' column where Ames (Apperntly Johnny Chen is Ames http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/the-gonzo-classic-that-wasnt-/261541.html ) writes.

http://exiledonline.com/old-exile/vault/bardak/chen/chen41.html

quote:

Literally within four minutes of arriving, some teenager with a face like Muttley's from Laff-A-Lympics fell off the bar and onto my shoulders. I carried her almost straight out to the coat check, then hurried her down to a taxi, ran her home, up my stairs, and into my apartment. The whole time she was begging me to take her back, to be careful, she was drunk, bla-bla-blah... After we were through, I had no idea what to do with her. She was bleeding and crying. As for me, I was depressed. I'd just shot a load large enough to repopulate North Korea. So I walked her over to my balcony, and held her in my arm, leaning her over the ledge.

"Throw her over," Johnny Jr. advised me.
"What?"
"You know you want to," he said. "Just pick her up and throw her over. You'll feel better, I promise."

But I didn't have the energy. Instead, I passed out on the floor, and woke up the next morning, with Muttley beside me. It took me a long time to get rid of her, but I did.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 31, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Has anyone asked Taibbi about these on television before? He needs a call-out.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What the gently caress did I just read. I hope that's all made up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tab8715 posted:

How old was he?

Early to mid-20s. He wrote a real tryhard article about how he gets to take the moral high ground since he saved himself for marriage while simultaneously reminding you every 2 sentences that he's having a lot of sex.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

What the gently caress did I just read. I hope that's all made up.

Wait, are those stories Taibbi or Ames?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They're sufficient for criminal proceedings, is what they are.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The abortion and club/balcony one is Ames, so is the underage sex as far as I can tell from various blog posts.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Is this loving for real? Who would write these things about their own life and not be worried about going to prison? What the gently caress

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nckdictator posted:

The abortion and club/balcony one is Ames, so is the underage sex as far as I can tell from various blog posts.

Yeah, none of that would suprise me if it was Mark Ames, he's been pretty hate-filled since forever and is generally open about being a horrible person. Harder to process if it's Taibbi.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 31, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Phone posted:

Early to mid-20s. He wrote a real tryhard article about how he gets to take the moral high ground since he saved himself for marriage while simultaneously reminding you every 2 sentences that he's having a lot of sex.

quote:

Sex. Some of us do it, most of us like it and we all think about it…. A lot. I know I do (though I was told that it’s normal). Gettin’ busy really isn’t the taboo subject that it once was.

Whereas once upon a time the conversation was relegated to whispers behind closed doors, nowadays it’s discussed openly and without shame. As a stand-up comedian, I’ve seen hacks openly depict the most depraved, explicit sexual acts they can think of just to get a laugh out of the audience. Clearly, telling wiener jokes is no longer the treading of new territory that it once was.

Funnily enough, today there is one area of sex that when discussed, still makes people’s posteriors pucker with discomfort… abstinence.

The idea of abstinence has become somewhat of a punchline in this country. From the myth of unrealistic “abstinence only” education, to the media’s constant portrayal (and mockery) of young, nerdy, out of touch Christians riddled with chastity pendants, the message on abstinence being pumped through pop-culture is clear; If you’re abstinent it’s either because A) you’re ugly or B) you’re a loser. In my case, it was often both.

Maybe it’s just the lack of fun-factor, or maybe it started with harlotry being misused as a fulcrum for women’s liberation, but if you so much as suggest to someone that abstinence might be beneficial, you’ll often find yourself vilified as a judgmental jackass faster than Bill Maher can throw up his dainty hands.

Sure, Michelle Obama can run around the country and condemn little fatties for inhaling Little Debbies, but if you try and apply that same helpful, healthful concept to sex, it’s seen as pushy and/or prudish.

Listen, one doesn’t need to be religious (nor a rocket scientist) to see the value of abstinence. Let’s disregard the immediately eliminated risk of increasingly popular STD’ and STI’s. Heck, let’s even discount the statistical data showing that sexual exclusivity seems overwhelmingly conducive to a successful marriage .Abstinence also provides an incomparable bond of trust in a relationship.

Yes, I admit it, I’m in a long-term relationship and I’m abstinent. Scandalous, I know. It’s an incredibly difficult thing to do (mostly for me, because she’s way out of my league), and that’s what makes it so important.

I can tell you beyond any doubt, that my lady is able to control herself and stick to her values regardless of circumstance. Just as surely, she can say the same about me (Ben&Jerry’s benders notwithstanding). It is that display of self-control, that tangible example of living your principles through your life’s walk that ensures her that I won’t be jumping on the first well-proportioned opportunity that comes my way.

By the same token, I can rest easy knowing that my dame won’t be trying to bed Jersey Shore’s “The Situation” anytime soon. -- Though he does have great abs.

Strong trust is the result. Constantly we hear cries of women aimed at their supposedly overly jealous boyfriends, “What’s the matter? Don’t you trust me?”

No, he doesn’t. You slept with him on the first date and there is no reason for him to think that you wouldn’t do the same when a better offer comes along.

While we’re on the subject, has the whole floozie shtick really empowered any women out there? I would imagine that immediate sexual gratification being assumed in modern relationships would do more damage to your gatekeeper status than good. I’d also have to imagine that sex with someone whom you share trust, loyalty and open communication would be far more liberating than the thrill of any one-night stand you could enjoy.

Then again, what do I know? I’m just a young, sexless, STD-free-moron in love. You should try it sometime...though I’m not here to judge.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Like I can barely understand writing that as some kind of crazy erotica fiction and only being a little afraid of going to jail but holy poo poo why would you ever write that of it were true, you loving lunatic

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pharmaskittle posted:

Like I can barely understand writing that as some kind of crazy erotica fiction and only being a little afraid of going to jail but holy poo poo why would you ever write that of it were true, you loving lunatic

You've escaped any consequences for your actions for so long, you start thinking it doesn't matter at all.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Part of it is that they're fourth-rate Hunter S. Thompson copycats. I've never liked Taibbi.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Confidently slamming down a $100 bet that Steven Crowder cries after sex at least 15% of the time

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

You forgot to bold "As a stand-up comedian,".

e: what in the gently caress

quote:

At age 12, Crowder began working as a voice actor as the character Alan "The Brain" Powers on the children's television series Arthur.

Him growing up in Quebec makes some sense for his isolationist mindset, though.

Phone fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 31, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Phone posted:

You forgot to bold "As a stand-up comedian,".

e: what in the gently caress

Him growing up in Quebec makes some sense for his isolationist mindset, though.

The Quebecois are the worst, the loving worst

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I like Ames' writing and have exchanged e-mails with him years ago (he needed some info on Brazil and had read some of my stuff). That said, he's on open jerk, and back in his Moscow days he was a raging whirlwind of poison, fully absorbed by the "It's post-soviet Russia, anything goes!" zeitgeist. His book "Going Postal" is still an amazing bit of research and thematic narrative. He's a bit like an A-10 plane: ugly and dangerous, but tolerable if aimed t the right target.

I also talked a bit with Taibbi, though not on a writing level. I was working in a large hospital at the time and he was looking into traveling abroad to get surgery for his bad back, so I gave him some pointers on accredited hospitals in Brazil that had that kind of program (It was and still is WAY cheaper to fly to a first-rate brazilian hospital for many procedires than do them without insurance in the US). He struck me as far more amiable and contained. His hatreds are laser-focused and used in his writing, not indulged in as a part of a public persona. He's been 'undercover' in christian fundamentalist conformist camps and shooting the poo poo with marines without being kicked out. I doubt Ames could last 40 minutes without confronting someone.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oh gently caress you

StevenCrowder catcall tweets also his wife sounds like a real winner

Man, Crowder is making this weird flailing attempt to be edgy enough that people will pay attention and the only people even watching are in threads like this. It's so desperate and he's such a dweeb that I almost feel bad for him. Guy just isn't witty at all and has no sense of pace or timing in any of his videos or writing.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

He's probably hoping if he keeps upping the outrago-meter some major liberal blog will mention him, it'll get picked up by MSNBC and then he'll be a big rightwing hero. The best thing to do is just ignore the little twit.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Badera posted:

Part of it is that they're fourth-rate Hunter S. Thompson copycats. I've never liked Taibbi.

The horse cum pie prank story was kinda funny. Otherwise yeah, I'm not a big fan of gonzo journalism in general.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

beatlegs posted:

He's probably hoping if he keeps upping the outrago-meter some major liberal blog will mention him, it'll get picked up by MSNBC and then he'll be a big rightwing hero. The best thing to do is just ignore the little twit.

In the same week that Keith Ablow outlined his plan to send the next two generations of americans across the globe to stomp the wogs, make the US constitution the true One World Government, and infiltrate every foreign government with lavishly-funded dual-citizen politicians? He really needs to up his game.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does crowder have a temper tantrum when you call him out like Hannity does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tab8715 posted:

Does crowder have a temper tantrum when you call him out like Hannity does?

I don't remember Hannity calling him out, just Crowder trying to look holier-than-thou by claiming Hannity was soft and Fox News dumping his rear end and saying "He wasn't even funny."