Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TacoHavoc posted:

I don't think you are supposed to notch railing posts anymore.

While that makes them weaker, it can still be done safely. While it is not to code in some places, it is in others that simply state: railing must hold X lbs (usually 200-300).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
In the first video, they attach the boards to the posts by using carriage bolts alone, which then causes the entire load of the deck to depend on the shear strength of the bolts. Usually the bolt won't break, but the load can cause the wood to shred. The proper way to attach the boards is to place them directly atop the posts, either by notching a 6x6 post or by using a fastener for a 4x4.

The guardrail posts are notched, which may be code but isn't the greatest way to attach to a deck... It weakens the post and the force applied at the top of the post (where people usually leans) is magnified by through the lever attachment to the deck

In the stairs episode, they also don't place the stringer bases on a concrete pad or compacted gravel. They do attach to posts with footings, but it still looks like the stringers are in contact with the ground.

I know this because I'm facing similar issues on my deck and have spent a lot of time reading about and looking at pictures of improperly built decks. This site is great: http://www.nachi.org/deck-inspections.htm

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Laminator posted:

I know this because I'm facing similar issues on my deck and have spent a lot of time reading about and looking at pictures of improperly built decks.

This is what we call a "first day expert."

Again this is how decks were built 10-20 years ago. It's only been in the last several years that you could even find things like strong-tie saddle brackets without special ordering them.

I'm not seeing how this is so horribly horribly wrong. It's all very typical and you'll likely find that most existing decks were built exactly this way. Decks that are still perfectly safe.

I encourage everyone building a deck to do better and use modern methods, whether required by code or not, but none of this is that big of a deal when done properly.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I mean, it's hard to deny that those are stronger building techniques, but I have literally never seen them used in my area. Plenty of inspected and approved decks around here that are resting on a bolt-carried ledger board.

By all means, go above code when you can, but I don't think the Lowes video is going to result in disaster.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Laminator posted:

In the first video, they attach the boards to the posts by using carriage bolts alone, which then causes the entire load of the deck to depend on the shear strength of the bolts.

Only if the bolts aren't tightened. When properly tightened, the load is transferred along the entire mating faces. That's kinda the point of threaded fasteners.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Motronic posted:

This is what we call a "first day expert."

Again this is how decks were built 10-20 years ago. It's only been in the last several years that you could even find things like strong-tie saddle brackets without special ordering them.

I'm not seeing how this is so horribly horribly wrong. It's all very typical and you'll likely find that most existing decks were built exactly this way. Decks that are still perfectly safe.

I encourage everyone building a deck to do better and use modern methods, whether required by code or not, but none of this is that big of a deal when done properly.

I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, and I'm not saying it's horribly wrong. But this video isn't from 10-20 years ago, it's a few years old, and it's from a big-name store that a lot of people would use as a reference for building a deck.

The 2009 IRC codes explicitly state that attaching girders to posts in that manner is prohibited

page 8 of this document http://www.awc.org/publications/dca/dca6/dca6-09.pdf

I mean if your local area permits bolting through the post as code, then go for it, but it's not like it takes a lot of special tools or brackets to notch a post

Slugworth posted:

I mean, it's hard to deny that those are stronger building techniques, but I have literally never seen them used in my area. Plenty of inspected and approved decks around here that are resting on a bolt-carried ledger board.

By all means, go above code when you can, but I don't think the Lowes video is going to result in disaster.

The video shows a free-standing deck, not one with a ledger board. A bolted ledger board is fine.

Laminator fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 25, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Only if the bolts aren't tightened. When properly tightened, the load is transferred along the entire mating faces. That's kinda the point of threaded fasteners.

Glad I am not the only one who read that line about bolts in shear and went "wait... what?"

This is in fact the whole point of bolts.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

kastein posted:

Glad I am not the only one who read that line about bolts in shear and went "wait... what?"

This is in fact the whole point of bolts.

Well that's all about what kind of bolt performance you want. Generally tightening the bolts and taking it through bearing friction of the washers won't be good for any connection to say...concrete or wood because of long term creep/shrinkage that eventually will cause the connection to loosen. Also, bearing friction is generally a fraction of your shear capacity for the bolt. The notched post makes more sense to me as a structural engineer because you can't take the load through a friction connection in the long term, not to mention bearing stress in the direction of the grain might cause cracking of the wood post over time.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Antifreeze Head posted:

Cock and balls window, is that what we're looking at here or is there something else that's horribly unsound that I'm not seeing?

What's it say that instead of even noticing the cock and balls window (thanks for that), I first noticed the suspiciously underdeveloped bush(es) where the sun don't shine?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

PainterofCrap posted:

We have houses like that here in Philadelphia.

You'd better get cracking on replacing everything you think might wear out before then. Including wallpaper & paint. It's a stone bitch once your domicile is declared an (a) historic site.

I wish i had pictures of it, but my brother in law used to do HVAC and kick carpets (And now manages a home depot...giving others all sorts of not-up-to-code advice) and likes to reno things without permits, like his entire basement, which made getting a refi on their home signed off on...difficult as there wasn't a single permit pulled for the thing.

But they used to live outside of Philly in NJ, in a home on the historic registry. And decided to put in central air. and redo the carpets. and the wiring. And while it was all done well...that was like a six figure fine they had to eat for doing that. Oops.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

AA is for Quitters posted:

But they used to live outside of Philly in NJ, in a home on the historic registry. And decided to put in central air. and redo the carpets. and the wiring. And while it was all done well...that was like a six figure fine they had to eat for doing that. Oops.

Well, you can't have archaic and heat it too :haw:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

:golfclap:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

canyoneer posted:

:sbahj:

Also:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

I'm in IT. That is not even remotely the worst network closet I've seen. :smithicide:

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

I'd guess the floor is wet/being poured, continuous internet is required and that's the only access point? The wall looks a lot cleaner than the floor.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean at least it's "mounted" to the wall rather than in a tangled heap on the floor. It's a start :unsmith:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

They taped it up rather than guessing where there might not be boards in the case and just running woodscrews through. Not the worst.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
I like all the bracing strips of tape. Dealing with a real duct tape professional here who has learned some important duct tape lessons along the way.

mshade
Jul 13, 2001
I was swapping in a new toilet in a bathroom in my house that was part of an addition done by a previous owner. The toilet flange slots had bent enough that that they wouldn't hold the closet bolts anymore. So I bought a new flange repair kit and started screwing it into the floor. The screws went all of the way in and grabbed nothing, just spinning. I got longer screws thinking I was still in the tile/thinset/backerboard and hadn't made it to the subfloor. 2 1/2" screws still were spinning. I stuck my 4 inch screw driver in the drilled hole, and it went all of the way in.

So I crawl into the crawlspace, pull down all of the insulation under the sub-floor, look up and see the image below. A rough-cut 7" hole for a 4" drain pipe. The previous flange was apparently mounted just to the tile (structural tile, I guess?). Two screws hit a few splinters of sub-floor, so at least there was that.

Several hours of needless work later, I successfully cutout an insert to fill the gap around the pipe and sistered a larger piece of plywood underneath, and have the flange securely mounted. I don't want to think about what other terrible things are hiding in this addition that I can't see.

mshade fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 30, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

mshade posted:

I don't want to think about what other terrible things are hiding in this addition that I can't see.

The day time travel is invented is the day that a significant portion of the populace will suddenly always have had a long string of broken jaws and black eyes.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Was it REALLY that hard not to measure a loving wall properly?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Boat posted:

I'm in IT. That is not even remotely the worst network closet I've seen. :smithicide:

Agreed.. I've seen things man.
I have… seen things you people wouldn't believe…
Switches hanging from power cables off a jury rigged outlet wired into an emergency exit sign.
I watched power lights glittering like a tiny star on and off on an inaccessible router someone cemented into a floor drain.
All those… moments… will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears… in… rain. Time… to die…
:smith:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

nthalp posted:

Switches hanging from power cables off a jury rigged outlet wired into an emergency exit sign.

I am on hold and I don't know how to mute my phone and trying desperately to hold in laughter right now you bastard

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

NancyPants posted:

I am on hold and I don't know how to mute my phone and trying desperately to hold in laughter right now you bastard

I was gonna be real :smith: if no one got that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was pretty sure something was up by like halfway through the fourth line. Well done.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

nthalp posted:

Agreed.. I've seen things man.
I have… seen things you people wouldn't believe…
I watched power lights glittering like a tiny star on and off on an inaccessible router someone cemented into a floor drain.
All those… moments… will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears… in… rain. Time… to die…
:smith:

Go with "All those... packets... will be lost in transit" and you're golden, I think.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

nthalp posted:

I was gonna be real :smith: if no one got that.

The day I don't recognize a variation on Roy's speech is the day I turn in my nerd card and lay down to die myself. Nicely done.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

The day I don't recognize a variation on Roy's speech is the day I turn in my nerd card and lay down to die myself. Nicely done.

I've never even seen the movie (I KNOW SHUT UP) and I recognized it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sorry to say friends, it was the outlet wired into the exit sign that did me in. Roy's speech pretty much only makes me laugh anymore when I'm drunk.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jordanis posted:

Go with "All those... packets... will be lost in transit" and you're golden, I think.

poo poo. :golfclap:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I saw this at an actual communications company:

Why, yes, it does go to the main AND the generator on the same line. No, that door doesn't lock.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

:stonk:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:stonklol:
I'll never complain about my apartment again.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Oh god...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

At least they clearly labeled where they keep all their Live Voltage.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

At least they clearly labeled where they keep all their Live Voltage.

I didn't see the word 'live' at first, it somehow made the sign even funnier.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Wish I could get a thermal photo cause the toilet in hotel I'm staying at in Austin is plumbed incorrectly. Felt oddly warm sitting on the can and when flushed it had the aroma that only poo being cooked can give off. Water feed is actually the hot water tap.

Edit: There is no cold water right now :psyduck:, the sink is hot water and hotter water.

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 5, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

dietcokefiend posted:

Wish I could get a thermal photo cause the toilet in hotel I'm staying at in Austin is plumbed incorrectly. Felt oddly warm sitting on the can and when flushed it had the aroma that only poo being cooked can give off. Water feed is actually the hot water tap.

Edit: There is no cold water right now :psyduck:, the sink is hot water and hotter water.

I lived in an apartment that had the toilet hooked up like that. Management refused to repair/repipe it, and the hot water dissolved the rubber in the tank seals so quickly. They would start to leak and need replacing on a 6 to 8 month cadence.

Then one weekend it broke entirely (only bathroom in the entire apartment) and they said it would be a few days before maintenance could get out there. I went ballistic. Unethical and super illegal.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
On the other hand, heated toilet seats are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

totalnewbie posted:

On the other hand, heated toilet seats are awesome.

Except when it's a public restroom and you know that warmth is from someone else's rear end, making GBS threads in the exact same spot you're making GBS threads. It's just a little too personal.